New Skill: Scribe 03/04/2015 11:19 AM CST
As an aside in a thread on the Dark Elf board, I said:

"I agree that it would be nice if characters could learn new languages. I don't think any of the current artisan guilds are appropriate for decisively bookish characters and it would be cool to see a scribe skill where one learns to make quills, books, stationery, and understand new languages. I suspect this idea would take an enormous amount of work to design and implement."

The possibilities go on: the ability to make writable books or open up new handwriting options come to mind. There are alternatives to the name scribe as well: scrivener, scholar, stationer. None of these, however, describe the skill itself: perhaps "diplomacy" would work to get both the language learning and writing skills in there. Maybe "scholarship."

Anyway, that's the idea. I think it's a good one that would add a great deal to the game but I am, of course, realistic about such a project being taken up.

Silvean's Player
Re: New Skill: Scribe 03/06/2015 12:51 AM CST
I'll go ahead and jump on board here.

I happen to have a wristlet which has a message written in dwarven. Although I am aware of several sorts of items which can be written on in-game, I am not aware of any way to write in different languages already known to characters.

As far as reading different languages, the coding already seems to be there.

I'm realistic, too, but learning to neatly write in different languages could have some neat uses. One thing that comes to mind is blackboards for CHE annexes, the folios that can already be written in, label boxes, etc. There's not really a special reason we can't write on these in any language known to us (minus coding). Although I'm not sure, it also sounds relatively much less painful to code than other things related to languages in the game.

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes
Re: New Skill: Scribe 03/06/2015 08:18 AM CST
>> I happen to have a wristlet which has a message written in dwarven. Although I am aware of several sorts of items which can be written on in-game, I am not aware of any way to write in different languages already known to characters.

Simply SPEAK <language> before you write. It will be written in the language you are speaking at the time.

-- Robert

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting."
Re: New Skill: Scribe 03/06/2015 11:32 AM CST

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Write
Re: New Skill: Scribe 03/07/2015 03:52 AM CST
Huh. Cool!

"What Kaldonis does on his off time is totally Kaldonis's business, dude." ~Scribes
Re: New Skill: Scribe 03/07/2015 12:01 PM CST
The writing system is very cool and one of the best roleplaying tools in the game. I haven't had cause to perfume a letter yet but the recent improvements to what you can do with stationery are fantastic. I think there's so much there that it could be built into a new artisan skill but the more realistic goal might be continual improvements to the tools as they now exist. I'd like to see more options in the writing store, more writing stores, the ability to change handwriting styles, etc.
Re: New Skill: Scribe 03/09/2015 02:42 PM CDT
>The writing system is very cool and one of the best roleplaying tools in the game.

This might be (yet another) derp question but, are writing media commonly available in the game? I am aware of several, but as far as ones to carry around and use, they are mostly sold at festivals, and so on.

From this understanding, I've basically avoided it at all, because I'd just run through my materials or fill my locker. I try to avoid dead ends as much as possible. (For instance, I purposely avoid cap...though I'm being forced towards it!)

Re: New Skill: Scribe 03/09/2015 07:49 PM CDT
There's a stationery store on Illistim's Stearizza Var called Wax Eloquent. It needs some new merchandise but it has everything you need.

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Wax_Eloquent

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/images/8/81/Ta%27Illistim_2014.jpg
Re: New Skill: Scribe 03/10/2015 04:59 AM CDT
>There's a stationery store on Illistim's Stearizza Var called Wax Eloquent. It needs some new merchandise but it has everything you need.

Cool! I might start playing with this a lot more.

Re: New Skill: Scribe 03/10/2015 05:21 AM CDT

New merchandise as in different paper descriptions and signet rings or just a wider variety?

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Sylvans
Half Elves
Re: New Skill: Scribe 03/10/2015 11:37 AM CDT
Hi Valyrka,

Thanks for asking about the Wax Eloquent items. I'm primarily asking after them for other people interested in the writing system since I have altered utensils. Some easy ideas:

1. More paper options; paper can be dyed, so new store options should offer things that can't be achieved with dye, e.g. textures, material descriptions, etc.

2. Writing cases

3. More than one type of quill

4. Some back room stuff

5. New wax stick colors; can these be dyed?

6. Books to write in were available at EG last year at high cost; it would be nice to see an off the shelf option

More complicated ideas:

1. A way to make customized signets off the shelf from a list of options

2. A way to include illustrations in a letter

3. A way to add gold leaf, ribbons, or other embellishments to a letter either inside or externally

4. A way to change handwriting or ink

5. A way to write in reverse so that a letter could only be easily read with the use of a mirror

6. A code writing system requiring ciphers to read a letter

7. Invisible ink

The problem: The biggest problem with the writing system is that there is no way to get a letter into another player's hands unless it is hand delivered. I can't even get a demon to do more than drop a letter at a character's feet (assuming they're not under one of the many conditions that would keep a demon from finding them). The extent of this problem has been reduced by allowing letters to be written on externally -- this was a great change. I'm not sure if the player mail system was envisioned as something that would have worked in close connection with the stationery writing system. It's a nice idea but I'm sure it's a complicated thing.
Re: New Skill: Scribe 03/13/2015 10:33 AM CDT
Thanks for the feedback.

Some of these I can do.

If your request requires coding, I will honestly say it will most likely not happen at this time.

As far as being able to customize the ring, I would not be able to use the scripted rings off the shelf with that option. I am not the one who coded the system, but I am going to feel comfortable saying it would require a bit of coding.

I will see about more quills, new papers with more textures, more wax, some cases at this time, and do some inquiring about the other requests.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Sylvans
Half Elves
Re: New Skill: Scribe 03/13/2015 11:22 AM CDT
Thanks, Valyrka. It's a neat store.
Re: New Skill: Scribe 05/12/2015 06:20 AM CDT
I figured out one reason I never knew about the SPEAKING changing the language you write in.

The CHE Blackboards appear to always write in Common I think. I might test more but, it didn't seem to work at all when I played with it this week.

Could be a neat update to suggest.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog