Crossbow Cock RT 07/01/2016 12:34 AM CDT

Anyone familiar with Crossbow RT? There is a surprising lack of information on the topic.

I have 27 strength and have cocked a heavy crossbow in 8 and 9 seconds. And also 11 seconds using QSTRIKE. (Seems odd?)

Aelotoi. No wounds and no encumbrance. I also have 0 ranged skill if that matters.

Thanks!
Re: Crossbow Cock RT 07/01/2016 01:19 AM CDT

I'll do some actual testing to grab some data so I can see what RT is like over an extended number of cocks. I could just be getting absurdly unlucky!

But if anyone knows which factors can reduce/increase RT, please let me know.

Thanks!
Re: Crossbow Cock RT 07/01/2016 07:10 AM CDT
>But if anyone knows which factors can reduce/increase RT, please let me know.

Roundtime

Original documentation from 2003:
Cocking a light crossbow has a 6 second RT and cocking heavy crossbow has a 9 second RT. The archer's strength bonus decreases this RT. For every +10 strength bonus, the RT for cocking your crossbow is decreased by one. The minimum RT to cock a crossbow does not go below three seconds for a light crossbow and 6 seconds for a heavy crossbow. Certain factors, such as encumbrance or being under-trained for your armor, can increase RT. The RT to fire a crossbow is 2 seconds flat.
In practice there is some minor variation in roundtime. With a strength bonus of +10, light crossbows can be cocked in 6-8 seconds and heavy crossbows in 9-11 seconds while standing and unencumbered. Cocking from non-standing positions takes 2 additional seconds.

This information is found on the gswiki (https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/COCK)

-Drumpel
Re: Crossbow Cock RT 07/01/2016 08:22 AM CDT
Some additional information from my own notes (I don't have a source referenced so no idea where it came from or if it is still valid today):

Minimum RT for cocking light crossbow is 3 seconds.
Minimum RT for cocking heavy crossbow is 5 seconds.
Successfully cocking a crossbow from hiding will add 1 seconds to RT
Dwarves and Gnomes receive a bonus when cocking crossbows.

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: Crossbow Cock RT 07/04/2016 03:38 PM CDT
As I recall your lack of ranged skill matters. There's a random addition to the basic time that gets mitigated with high ranged training. I'm not sure how high level you have to get for reasonable RT but I was still suffering quite badly from it when I gave the crossbow up at around level 25.
Re: Crossbow Cock RT 07/04/2016 04:17 PM CDT
>> There's a random addition to the basic time that gets mitigated with high ranged training. I'm not sure how high level you have to get for reasonable RT but I was still suffering quite badly from it when I gave the crossbow up at around level 25.

I highly recommend the unlocked mechanical crossbows that have been available from Duskruin if that was the primary reason you gave up using a crossbow.

-- Robert

Re: Crossbow Cock RT 07/05/2016 07:20 AM CDT
The main reason I gave it up was the antisocial nature of their RT. In single player mode it isn't that big a deal, but while bow users get to leave their arrows behind when a group moves on, crossbow users get left behind by the group.
Re: Crossbow Cock RT 07/05/2016 09:11 PM CDT
Thanks for the perspective, I hadn't really considered that point. While I do hunt in a group (of two with my wife), using a bow seems about equal to a crossbow since my wife (the bow user) doesn't want to leave any arrows behind and I (the crossbow user) also don't wish to lose any more than I need to. Two different pairs of characters but I'd always viewed it as the same 'delay' from both sides of the coin until now.

-- Robert

Re: Crossbow Cock RT 07/06/2016 09:58 AM CDT
I used a heavy crossbow until about level 60-65, and I gave it up for two reasons:

1. I acquired a longbow and had it nicely enchanted and altered.

2. I needed the extra DS that the longbow provided, due to over-hunting constantly.

I still carry a heavy crossbow for the added AS from kneeling for the really bad critters (usually post-capped invasion type stuff)but I do that from hiding only, never in a group, and with camo running as well.

I NEVER group hunt with my crossbow, longbow only, just because of the chance of being left behind by the group.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

www.radeekandoran.blogspot.ca/
Re: Crossbow Cock RT 08/04/2016 01:00 AM CDT
Awesome information.

Oh! A little tidbit myself...

QSTRIKE has some very low costs for crossbows. Cock should be 10 stamina per RT and lightcrossbow firing is 12.

Not bad!

Thanks guys!