The arrow is out of your reach. 02/09/2016 02:40 AM CST
With the changes to the Chronomage/Travel system in the works, and with the new addition of Quickstrike for all. It seems like Quality of Life updates are in the works.

I'd like to suggest that something be done about the following:

>get arrow
The arrow is out of your reach.

This feels like an unnecessary wait time when using archery to hunt. I believe it may be to simulate "distance" when using archery, but to me it's just an annoyance.

I would also like to see something done about:
The arrow disappears into the local environs.

This is another major annoyance with archery. The roundtime for searching out the arrow is random, and can sometimes be excessive. The last arrow I searched for had an 11 second RT attached to the search. I would prefer that it never be lost to the local environs, but if there was a cap of 2 seconds of RT it would still be an improvement.
Re: The arrow is out of your reach. 02/09/2016 04:32 PM CST
Especially when you kill something, search it, and can't gather your arrows that didn't stick in until the time passes. I know: go arrow, go arrow, go arrow. It just seems pointless when you read the messaging that it hits the critter, doesn't stick in, and falls next to it. I just searched the critter... I'm right there.
Re: The arrow is out of your reach. 02/10/2016 12:56 PM CST
It's a really annoying mechanic. Especially since an arrow that misses and flies into the next room can be retrieved faster then the one at your feet.
Re: The arrow is out of your reach. 02/10/2016 03:19 PM CST
As someone who only uses range by the extension of occasionally hunting with someone who uses ranged, I find this stuff annoying.

My wife's main uses ranged, and sometimes hunts with my paladin. We'll be in the same room (IRL and in-game) and I'm like, "Can we move yet...can we move yet...can we move yet?" Sometimes I even resort to searching myself for the bloody arrows. Any system that causes hunting partners to regularly roll their eyes at the mechanics of another system...yeah okay I'm preaching to the choir.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: The arrow is out of your reach. 02/10/2016 11:52 PM CST
Having arrows disappear into the environs that you can search for with RT is good. It uses standard mechanics, and people can spend their time after a hunt retrieving lost arrows. Having arrows in plain view that you can't get because they are "out of reach" seems like a bad attempt to contrive an engagement system. If I need to spend 10 seconds walking over to retrieve an arrow, it should be expressed as RT.
Re: The arrow is out of your reach. 02/11/2016 12:00 AM CST
Having arrows disappear into the environs that you can search for with RT is good. It uses standard mechanics, and people can spend their time after a hunt retrieving lost arrows. Having arrows in plain view that you can't get because they are "out of reach" seems like a bad attempt to contrive an engagement system. If I need to spend 10 seconds walking over to retrieve an arrow, it should be expressed as RT.

Yes, add RT for picking up arrows. And then add RT to all melee swings to simulate closing the distance between you and your opponent. Also, add search RT for every creature killed by spells, because distance, right?

Let's try to avoid suggestions that could cause people to stop playing the game. None of that sounds fun to me, it sounds like a waste of time.
Re: The arrow is out of your reach. 02/11/2016 03:05 PM CST
"The arrow is out of your reach" thing is super buggy and really terrible.

Personally, I only seem to find that it comes up when there's a non-corporeal creature which has only dropped coins (or no loot at all). If my character kills a Herald in the Citadel, there's no problem, but if she kills a Bestial Swordsman and it doesn't drop loot, I'm stuck there for another minute trying to get the stupid arrows. I don't think it's about time at all and I find that I have more luck getting her to do some other action (e.g. petting her animal companion) than I do having her try to approach the arrow.

I'm pretty sure that most of this effect is a bug. If it happened to all types of creatures or actually lasted a set amount of time, I wouldn't think it was a bug, just an annoying feature, but it doesn't. If it kept you from collecting arrows while there were any creatures at all in the room, it would be an annoying feature, but it doesn't keep you from doing that at all.

For finding arrows, I generally only get 6 seconds of RT when I find lost arrows lately (though usually I use 609 to find them instead of waiting). An 11 second RT might be a perception thing? I'm not sure how long it took when my character was lower level.
Re: The arrow is out of your reach. 02/11/2016 08:09 PM CST
<Yes, add RT for picking up arrows. And then add RT to all melee swings to simulate closing the distance between you and your opponent. Also, add search RT for every creature killed by spells, because distance, right?

I suggested that searching out arrows that disappear in the local environs is a "good" design, and that having arrows in plain view that you can't get because they are "out of reach" is a "bad" design. I didn't suggest we should have RT for picking up arrows, any more than I said there should be RT for searching a critter.

I'd also like to address the idea that suggestions should be suppressed because they might cause people to stop playing, but in the interest of context and brevity I'm going to wait.
Re: The arrow is out of your reach. 02/12/2016 07:08 PM CST
I too would like to see something change here.

I hunt with my wife (a sorcerer) and fortunately she is just sitting a foot away from me, so I don't have to keep type, "hold on."

I think archery is a great skill, and I understand the need to try to balance it, but I would never hunt in a group with it except for my wife.

Unhide
Gather arrows
Wait until you grab it
Or search and wait
bundle arrows
rehide

It would be nice if archery was a tad more group friendly.

Clintmire
Re: The arrow is out of your reach. 02/17/2016 04:44 PM CST
Well, part of that is sniping though. Open archery is definitely fine for groups. When I have my archer hunt in a group (which is rare), she usually does so in the open, but solo she's hidden.

Picking up the arrows is still annoying, but you don't have to hide again and then stalk your group leader.
Re: The arrow is out of your reach. 02/17/2016 04:46 PM CST
Also, to bundle the arrows you gathered with the ones in your container, you can use PUT arrow in arrow in my <container>.
Re: The arrow is out of your reach. 05/04/2016 07:58 PM CDT
I recently tried out archery with my formerly Voln Fu ranger. So, this is NOT a bug, then?? I've just started "macro-spamming" to pick them up and wondered if I was doing something wrong.

You are now in a defensive stance.
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
The thorny vine lashes out, but is unable to grasp ahold of anything.
>gather arrow
Sorry, you may only type ahead 2 commands.
>
>
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>
>
>
>
>
>gather arrow
>
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>
>
>gather arrow
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
Sorry, you may only type ahead 2 commands.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>gather arrow
>gather arrow
>
>
>gather arrow
You gather 3 arrows into a bundle.
Re: The arrow is out of your reach. 05/05/2016 10:42 AM CDT
My recollection is that there is some time delay built in, representing your movement (within the room) over to where the arrow is.
Re: The arrow is out of your reach. 05/05/2016 01:33 PM CDT
<My recollection is that there is some time delay built in, representing your movement (within the room) over to where the arrow is.>

This is true. Only arrows that either miss or fail to stick in the target will have the delay though. I believe whether an arrow sticks in the target is based on what rank crit it delivers, so if you're hunting something that's difficult to crit due to armor or your AS not being high enough you'll have to wait to pick up your arrows quite often. However, since successful ranged hunting generally relies on crits, most archers tend to avoid critters that are heavily armored and rarely have to wait to pick up their arrows after reaching a certain skill level.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: The arrow is out of your reach. 05/05/2016 09:08 PM CDT
Hunting the undead sucks too sometimes. You can crit vaesps, but it still takes plenty of time to pick up your one arrow.
Re: The arrow is out of your reach. 05/05/2016 09:32 PM CDT
This is one of those engagement things I don't think got enough testing, and hasn't been dealt with yet. Of the handful of outcomes when you fire a ranged weapon, (1) searching for lost ammunition and (2) the item flying to adjacent rooms both make sense in any setting. (3) Seeing the item on the ground but not being able to reach it, and to a lesser degree (4) the item shooting off into the distance and being lost, both don't make sense without engagement, and they don't make sense in certain locations. Anywhere indoors, for example. A simple solution is to turn off (3) and (4) for rooms flagged as indoors. A harder, and maybe better, solution is to make any arrow (or whatever) that doesn't hit either be immediately retrievable, searchable, or in an adjacent room. To compensate, the chance to recover an arrow that hits a target is reduced to a percent -- arrows or bolts should be broken periodically as they are removed.
Re: The arrow is out of your reach. 05/05/2016 10:08 PM CDT
I kind of like Kandor's perspective on this.

Doug
Re: The arrow is out of your reach. 05/05/2016 11:40 PM CDT
It can for sure suck hunting Undead. Especially if you are gapped too big up or down and/or when you don't really want to do it, i.e, favor only, etc.