Crossbows 12/11/2014 04:11 PM CST

Recently began an attempt to hunt with a heavy crossbow. It has been a chore. Being use to longbows, the xbow seems to have no advantage. The only use I've found, firing it to finish a turtle, firing it if I'm ewaved (gain the kneeling AS benefit when prone).

Are there any crossbow hunters out there? Or do people just carry a loaded one on their back to supplement longbow hunts?
Re: Crossbows 12/11/2014 04:21 PM CST
The analysis that I seem to recall was that their primary benefit came from treating them the way pirates (Yarrr!) used to handle handguns: carry a bunch of them. If your opponent is carrying two single-shot guns and a cutlass and a dirk, and you're carrying six single-shot guns and a cutlass and a dagger, odds are good you can get off more shots than your opponent(s).

Try carrying three (or more) loaded crossbows. Set up your macro keys to put away This one/get That one, put away That one/get the Other, put away the Other/get the Last, and so on. When you're done with one creature, you start with This one and load it, stow to get That one and load it, stow to get the Other and load it, stow and get the Last to load it.
(For me, this would probably be F9-F12. Plain key by itself is 'get'; Shift+F# is 'put'; Alt+F# is 'load'; Ctrl+F# is 'get specific type of bolt' [if I care, like in an Undead or fire-vulnerable area or whatnot].)
Re: Crossbows 12/11/2014 04:29 PM CST
Thanks for the info. This is what I was thinking. Seeing as I hunt very effectively with my longbow aiming for eyes, I think I'll put my dreams of crossbow only hunts to rest.

That being said, I am curious regarding composite and shirt bows. Seeing that the majority of my kills are from crits, would I notice a drop off in hunting efficiency by moving to a composite bow? I'm looking to change weapons for the sake of change alone.
Re: Crossbows 12/11/2014 04:41 PM CST
You didn't say what character class and race you are. Both make a difference. There are cmans out there that rogues have the use of that make crossbow hunting better for them than any other class. Also certain races get benefits from using crossbows. I know when ranged was first rolled in I used a heavy crossbow almost exclusively as a human ranger. I found it a lot of fun and I still break the bad boy out from time to time just for kicks.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Crossbows 12/11/2014 04:59 PM CST
Level 30, Human Rogue

What cmans are you refering to? I only can think of vanish.
Re: Crossbows 12/11/2014 05:18 PM CST
Off the top of my head I can think of 2 very good cmans that rogues get that rangers do not. Weapon spec for bolts or arrows ( a potential +10 to AS right there) , and combat mobility..this is awesome for Crossbow users because it lets you stand up if you're kneeling to fire BEFORE the attack against you is calculated. There are probably a few more, but I didn't feel like digging that deep, sorry.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Crossbows 12/11/2014 05:46 PM CST
>> Are there any crossbow hunters out there? Or do people just carry a loaded one on their back to supplement longbow hunts?

My 30-something gnome ranger hunts with a dual light crossbow. Give me another 10 trains or so to get a little more strength and I plan on upgrading to my heavy crossbow. Probably when I do I'll open with the heavy crossbow and then switch to the dual light crossbow if I need to follow up the shot or if there are more than one opponents to deal with.

-- Robert

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting."
Re: Crossbows 12/11/2014 05:47 PM CST
I use a crossbow as the main weapon for both my ranged characters, its a bit slower but the bonus to aiming is nice if you are a profession that can't 2x ambush or hide very well(I fired from the open on my bard). I found heavy crossbows too slow when it came to cocking and firing, light crossbows are what I use on both now its much faster and they still hit hard.

On my gnomish rogue I get a racial bonus to cocking rt, and use a light crossbow it has plenty of stopping power if I hit my target, especially as a small race archer its much better than using a composite or short bow for me at the moment, even if it is a second or two slower. The biggest challenge for me was getting enough stalk and hide bonus to stay hidden while cocking the crossbow, he's now 53 trains and has stealth mastery at 5 ranks, and staying hidden is not an issue on most like level foes.

For cmans stealth mastery is a must have, vanish is also really handy if you do fail a hiding check, and combat mobility is nice cause it auto stands you up if you get swung at while kneeling, and I have 2 ranks of divert for giggles.

The guild skills rogues have would likely make using the crossbow even better, but I haven't gotten far enough in rogue gambits to learn "stealth get" yet, which would allow him to stay hidden and collect bolts.

Archales & Gargamish
Re: Crossbows 12/11/2014 06:14 PM CST

My capped rogue has used a crossbow for about 50 levels. I enjoy it but if I was after a fast fry, the quickest bounty, or otherwise trying for max efficiency then I'd have switched to a composite/long most likely.

A few things about my rogue hunting, he wears robes, snipes, and uses an e-crossbow. Primarily hunts the rift but will sometimes go to nelemar for a change. With my 0 Miu/AS this means he wears practically no spells.

The must haves for my play style were shadowmastery, vanish, and being able to stealth kneel/stand while in hiding. One of the best hunting grounds for this play style turned out to be plane 2 of the rift. Normally the caederas moving between rooms would knock you over, but if you're kneeling while in hiding you won't fall down.

Open crossbow shooting leaves a bit to be desired in its power and the overall feel IMO. But for RP style points sniping with a crossbow, wielding dual or speed crossbows, and manning towers/rooftops during invasions all certainly have a lot of appeal.

Lochiven among others
Re: Crossbows 12/11/2014 09:02 PM CST

Is it rogue gambits that allow you to kneel and stand while hiding?

Also I'm curious about how switching to a composite bow will effect my sniping. With random crits, I'd imagine it would not differ from a longbow. Any info?
Re: Crossbows 12/12/2014 07:39 AM CST
>Is it rogue gambits that allow you to kneel and stand while hiding?

Yes. You need to be almost mastered Stealth is the last set of gambits: sit, kneel, stand, get and finally put is where you master.

>Also I'm curious about how switching to a composite bow will effect my sniping. With random crits, I'd imagine it would not differ from a longbow. Any info?

Kneeling gives an aiming as well as an AS bonus.

If your DS is marginal with a bow, beware of switching to a crossbow. As well as the chance of getting caught kneeling, you only get 90% of the ranged weapon DS that bow users get from the same training.
Re: Crossbows 12/12/2014 07:45 AM CST
Also it really only works with a partner, if the partner is (or has been) a crossbow user. Thats the reason I dumped crossbow use, because I was always getting left behind in cock RT.
Re: Crossbows 12/12/2014 08:46 AM CST
"I was always getting left behind in cock RT." -- Rathboner

You know they have pills for this nowadays, right?