Aeonelas' Journal Part 4: Andelas 12/11/2017 08:09 PM CST

A terrible thing has happened. I was wandering around in the central part of Solhaven trying to catch up on anything I had missed along the Lornon promenade, and a group of soldiers mistook me for a thief they had been pursuing. I told them it couldn’t possibly be me, and if they would please just contact the Cleric’s Guild they would see that I was not at all who they were looking for, but they wouldn’t hear it.
I was stuck in the blasted prison for 3 days before they would see me. The charges were dismissed after they contacted the guild, but alas, my companions had already left for Ta’Vaalor. Since it is already late in the season I am not sure which route they will take, and I will surely perish on my own. I will have to find a guide of some sort, which I can’t afford. What I don’t understand is why they left without waiting on me. Something isn’t right. Luckily I can cast a few spells, maybe I can earn some coin spelling up the local fisherman or blessing their boats.

I’m now sitting on the steps of the Temple of Andelas at this moment, where I was arrested, and lost my chance to go inside. I came back here in order to see if it was a sign from the deity. I’ve always liked cats very much, and of all the Lornon gods, he is the one whom I would not mind serving, as I am good at hunting, but, it seems I am not so chosen. I felt nothing unusual and I was given no signs.

The temple is very beautiful and posesses an enormous majestic lion statue which was very impressive, and even soothing in some strange way. There was a cleric sitting in front of the lion statue. She was small and a bit wrinkled from the sun, and had skin as black as ebony and golden hair. I had never seen a human like that. She seemed a bit wild, like the dryads and centaurs of the forest, as she had dried blood in her hair and on her fingers, and twigs, claws and bells and things in her weird locks. I thought she was a bit scary at first but she seemed to like me, and commended me for praying to Andelas, saying “Bless you for honoring the lord of cats, child.” She was curious about me and wanted to talk for a while. I asked her about her training, and how she came to Andelas. She told me she was chosen by Andelas in a ritual of her people, far to the south. She was sent out into the wilderness to be chosen by the Arkati, who would show as a type of animal or as weather, or other natural phenomenon.

I thought that this was very interesting. She said that all of the Arkati have a natural sign, in the wilds even if they are not listed in the traditional clerical books. She named off all of them for me, but I forget some of them. I remember Mularos is a vulture, Luukos is a poisonous snake, Lorminstra a night that leaves frost, and so on. I also asked her for advice on how to get the attention of the Arkati and how to please them in order to be chosen.

She told me that all the gods are like cats, and that they only come when they please, and one may not attempt to coax them, lest they find offense in our begging and cajoling. She said she liked Andelas because he was true and pure and knew exactly what he was, while the other Arkati tried to hide their ways or decieve us. “They’re all felines” she said, and then assured me that “I would be chosen soon enough, she could “see” it.”

I shall go to the tavern this evening and see what I can find in the way of work or any sort of assistance. For now, I must find something to eat as I have not had anything but human prison gruel for 3 days.

(Below is not part of the journal entry)

The sun was setting, and the clanging and shouting crowds of the docks and markets around Solhaven had melted away, to find solace elsewhere, whether into theatres with their tragedy and comedy, or into the grand edifices on the Liabo and Lornon esplanade for late temple services. The secular enjoyed quiet evenings with their children or parties with the friends in their homes, while the ne’er do wells and transient sailors from faraway ports shuffled into the nearest whorehouse or tavern for the night.

Aeonelas, the lost apprentice cleric, stepped into one such dark and smoky pub, feeling awkward in her own skin. She wondered if any of these sailors and shipwrights had ever seen a sylvankind before, as a dozen curious eyes possessed by a handful of rough looking, sea-worthy folk turned to look at her..

“Ai! You there, girl, about time you showed up!” Aeonelas turned towards the voice, to find herself staring across the room at a large, ruddy faced woman standing behind the bar. “Come on over here and let’s talk!” The woman shook her head at her as if in warning. Taking one last look back at the tough looking pub crowd, she walked over to the woman with some hesitation and sat on the barstool. An enormous, well-fed cat with wooly paws was sprawled out on the bar, and it blinked up at Aeonelas with a sleepy gaze. The woman leaned in close and warned under her breath, in a terse but concerned tone, “I don’t see many of your kind in here, but if you knew what’s good for yah you’d not of come to this tavern. This isn’t the Captain’s Rest dearie...” Aeonelas stared at the woman, her eyes wide, and stammered “Please, if you know anyone, I need to find a guide...my company left me and they’re already halfway to the Landing I’m sure...I’m supposed to...” Before she could finish, a voice behind her said “Hello Aeon!” She recognized it immediately. It was the half-elf monk from the temple of Tonis.

Aeonelas turned away from the woman to find the half-elf standing in front of her in his simple blue tunic and leather tights. She glanced back at the old woman, who squinted, then nodded approvingly at the young man, and sighed with relief. ‘You’ll take care of her then, monk....” the salty old lady stated, matter-of-factly, and she went back to wiping down the countertops, as if everything was fine. “Thank the Gods,” Aeonelas exhaled breathily, “I am so glad to see a familiar face.” The half-elf nodded. “I thought you were heading out a few days ago?” he inquired, with a curious, concerned look.
“They left without me!” cried Aeonelas. “I got arrested...I didn’t do anything, but...and then...then...I don’t know why but they left without me while it was being sorted out. I need to find a guide.” Her words tumbled out one over the other as she hoped to the gods he could help her. Aeonelas struggled to remember the half-elf’s name, but failed. “I have a friend who could help you out, he’s headed to the Landing tomorrow. Not sure if he’d take you all the way to Ta’Vaalor, but if you have the coin, I bet he’d agree.” said the slender, blonde half-elf as he stroked his goatee. Aeonelas bit her lip “How much would that cost?” she asked. “You’d have to ask him. He’s right over there.” The half-elf pointed to a corner booth obscured in a darker area of the tavern. “I’ll introduce you. Come on.” He offered his slender warm hand to Aeonelas and lead her to the table.

“Rak, this is Aeonelas; Aeonelas, this is Rak, or, Rakshakvana, if you prefer.” said the half-elf, stretching his hand out towards a large, hooded boulder of a man. He was positioned with his back to two walls so he could see everything that happened in the sprawling pub, Aeonelas noted. The ceiling was lower in here, and pipe smoke lingering in the air made her eyes water a little. Aeonelas had hoped that the person would say the half-elf’s name, as she had still not yet recalled it, but the hooded figure just regarded her with a calm quiet, before enunciating her name. “Aeonelas.” Aeonelas could just barely make out his face as she slid into the booth. She could see that he was tall, and it looked like he hadn’t shaved in a while, or cut his hair. “Rak is a waggler, about the same age as you are, as a matter of fact.” he smiled.
“What’s this about, Ning?” Rak said, with hesitant reserve. “Ning! That’s his name!” thought Aeonelas, smiling suddenly, pleased that she could avoid any social awkwardness. “Aeon...needs a guide.” said Ning, taking a long draught from one of the mugs of ale that the serving wench had just plopped down in front of them. “To where?” said Rak.
“Just to Ta’Vaalor, or, as far as I can go over the mountains...” said Aeonelas, earnestly. Rakshakvana stared at her and then started laughing to himself, gazing down at his ale. “The pass is mostly clear this time of year, you know that Rak.” said Ning, encouragingly.

Rak was quiet for a few moments, before consenting, “I am going to the Landing, you can come that far with me, if you travel quickly and know how to avoid trouble.” he said, eyeing Aeonelas suspiciously, before adding “You don’t look like you could walk more than a few miles before I would have to carry you.” She bristled a little under the scrutiny, and, the thought of being carried about by a human, and then announced, loudly, “I am a sylvan, and I can keep up with the best of Ta’Vaaloran elves!” Ning winced before she had even finished shouting, and looked around.

A group of swarthy, dangerous looking individuals, the same that had been eyeballing Aeonelas as she entered, were scowling in their direction from across the partition. One of them began to get up, staring intently into the darkened corner where the threesome now sat. Rakshakvana slowly reached for a long wooden staff leaning against the wall of the booth while staring back at the group. “Erm...” Ning murmured, as he glanced around nervously. One drunken sailor made his way over to the booth, pushing one of the bar wenches out of the way. “What was that you said ‘oer here?!” slurred the stout, burly human. “Calm yourself friend” said Ning smoothly. “Our friend here was just stating that she wasn’t one of those good for nothing Vaalorians, but rather, a wood sylvan, simple folk...isn’t that right Aeon?” smiled Ning. Aeonelas managed a wide eyed nod, but was struck speechless. “She’s a volunteer cleric helping our town with the shortage of lifekeepers in the city, I’m just helping her find a guide” continued Ning. “I didn’t know there was a shortage of clerics...” mumbled the drunk, before he began examining Rak, clearly sizing him up.

“Let’s be on our way, the road to the Landing is dangerous, we’ll need our sleep.” grunted Rakshakvana. He slid out from the booth and stood up, his full height nearly touching the beams of the nine-foot ceiling above. “A giantkin!” thought Aeonelas, gawking up at him. He towered above the drunk, who stammered something inaudible, while catching glances up at the dark haired giantkin. The human lush turned to Ning and nodded once, curtly, before wandering sheepishly back to his friends, mumbling “That’s alright, not a real elf” he murmured.

Aeonelas looked at the giantkin, carefully sizing him up and taking in the details of his person as they exited the tavern through the back door. He was tall, but slender and graceful in his way, and had a regal air about him. He moved quickly and quietly – admirable traits in the lower races, she thought to herself. She noticed a shining gold pegasus on the belt that girt his leather armor. Ning had probably met him at the Temple of Tonis, where he worked as a caretaker, she thought. Stepping out of the moonlit alleyway and into the street lit by sparse magickal lanterns, Aeonelas put her hands on her hips and proclaimed “Well, what now?” Ning gazed at her with a wry expression and chided her, “You really need to learn how to behave in the Empire. If we wern’t there you might have been killed.” Aeonelas frowned. Rak interupted, “Save it. Let’s go find an inn. We leave tomorrow before dawn.” he stated, gruffly.

“Rak will take good care of you Aeon, I hope to see you again someday” said Ning, before reaching into his pocket, “Take these with you. One is magical...the temple has many and Rak has one also. He will explain how to use it. It’s a trinket one of the thie- erm, worshippers left us at the temple.” he dropped a pair of baubles into her palm, before turning her hand over and then he kissed it. She was glad then that he could not see her blushing in the dim light, and curtsied quickly, before pocketing the trinkets without looking at them. “Thank you, Ning. With the blessing of the gods we will meet again” replied Aeonelas. Ning nodded. “I’m sure we will. May the wayfarer guide your path, and guard your treasures.” he recited, before raising his hand in farewell.

Aeonelas trekked behind the giantkin along the sea-facing side of Solhaven, examining the back of his heavy hooded robe. It was swept with elaborate gold feather embroidery that glistened under the lantern she had lit. His left hand was slightly raised, and emitted a soft blue glow, that flickered out now and again before turning shades of black and purple and reigniting. A sorcerer.

“We’ll leave before dawn, girl.” said the giantkin, abruptly. Aeonelas looked about and found herself standing in front of the Captain’s Rest, the same inn she and her class had stayed in. “You have enough for the room I presume?” he inquired, raising an eyebrow. Aeonelas nodded, and said, “So, in the morning then!” before turning to the inn, hoping to herself dearly that he would indeed show up. “Before morning!” shouted the giantkin after her. “An hour before dawn!” and then he trudged away to who knows where.

Journal Entry

Dear journal, I’ve found a travelling companion. I’m too tired to write about it now, but I will try to cover it later in detail. Mayhaps the gods are taking care of me after all...

*~Omni Exeunt in Mysterium~*