Mechanical benefit or fluff 04/14/2017 04:58 AM CDT
Do items that have descriptions like stalking letters or casting leathers have any mechanical benefit. The reason I ask is because I am looking for armor 4 a pure and I might be fun to dress him up as a Rogue
Re: Mechanical benefit or fluff 04/14/2017 06:48 AM CDT
Those are all approved alters (to my knowledge) so the short answer is no. The long answer is made short by saying "maybe". If looking at an item in a playershop, make sure you look over its listed benefits, if any. If buying off the shelf from a merchant look for any signs that might give hints. You can always look up exact names online to see if the properties are known, such as common or saught after weapons/armor that sold at past merchants. And of course last but not least, ask a friendly bard, if they can, to sing to the item(s) in question to tell you their benefits.

So in conclusion: The names of the items don't impart any specific benefits but they might have some hidden underneath.
Hope that clears things up a bit!
Re: Mechanical benefit or fluff 04/14/2017 07:44 AM CDT
The only thing in an item's description that will guarantee it has special properties is the material it's made of, vultite weapons/armor will always be at least +20 for example. Armor or shields that have spikes in the description also possess the mechanics for spikes most of the time, but there may be "spiked" items from before that mechanic existed (INSPECT can be used to tell for sure).

If GMs make a weapon or armor, they tend to use certain descriptions along with various properties (blue for cold flares or sharp for weighting). This isn't always the case, but you can be fairly certain that if a buy a red weapon at an event like EG, it won't have lightning flares. Of course, having said that, a GM's going to read this and decide to have a shop at the next EG that has acid-pitted weapons with cold flares and blue weapons with fire flares (this already happens with weapons found on critters, btw)....

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.