Make Alchemy Great (Again?) 07/12/2017 04:41 PM CDT
Let's be honest here a second. Everything in Gemstone is essentially a grind. Yet somehow we've missed out on one of the most basic grinds found in most MMOs, the rare item grind. Now obviously we can't be grinding for auction quality items off creatures but what about super rare alchemy ingredients? A very rare drop from huge fire elementals to drop something that can be used for a potion to permanently add fire flares to something. Something else off a lich in the scatter so a cleric can make a sanctification item. Why aren't we using rare ingredients to create master level recipes to really give alchemists something to offer?

On that same train of thought, why don't we have some better spells available in trinket form that require rare ingredients? I'm talking about 215 talismans, 1109 rings, 712 pins, etc. Now obviously we don't want everyone able to have these spells all the time. The ingredients should be around the rarity of greater elemental essences, they should require mastery to make (possibly even requiring a master level potion as a trinket ingredient or vice versa) and require fairly expensive ingredients on top of that. The point is they should be available. Heck I'd love to see some ridiculously rare ingredients that gave a cast of 40th or 50th level profession spells.

Bottom line, alchemy needs some love. It's a great system that just isn't being used to it's fullest at all. I'd love to see a staff member make it a priority again.

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Make Alchemy Great (Again?) 07/12/2017 06:52 PM CDT
>Now obviously we can't be grinding for auction quality items off creatures but what about super rare alchemy ingredients?

Don't you fret none.

Just wait for the next round of enchanting spell updates - I'm sure they'll start throwing out other ridiculous super rare ingredients that may allow enchanting of other types of items such as padded, weighted, other flares and so on plus some other odd requirement such as the casting wizard needs to stand on his head while reciting the alphabet backwards at the same time while infusing a world worth of mana into a potion for just one pour.

As for asking for other spells such as 215 - why would they do that when they can put items into a pay to participate event such as DR to obtain those 1x/day magic trinkets? You can't bogart the market here for your own wants, that'll hurt their bottom dollar. j/k - kind of.

>ingredients should be around the rarity of greater elemental essences

This is already irritating enough. I had to corner the market by harassing people for greater earth essences and this was a few months after the possibility of these essences dropping. No one had really come across any and plus we were still waiting on folks to track down the recipe for these potions. I think this whole thing sucks for enchanting flaring items - I like the fact that we can enchant flaring items, but the whole process to even be able to is just a sick, unwanted grind in my opinion. I wouldn't wish this upon anyone else when they really need a rare ingredient to meet their needs.

If people could take lesser versions of the rare ingredients and then combine then in some alchemy process to create a greater version, things would be a little different. You'd still have to collect a good amount of the lesser version so it's not like everyone and their cousin will be pumping them out left and right to saturate the market.

>Bottom line, alchemy needs some love. It's a great system that just isn't being used to it's fullest at all. I'd love to see a staff member make it a priority again.

Agreed. But the system falls in line with all the other grinding, until your brain bleeds, time sink things such as guild skills or forging. A lot of these grindy systems need some love overall to reduce the tediousness they have. The guild nights are a help and of course there are guild vouchers, but not everyone can be around on guild nights to take advantage of the point boost and if you don't have a build up of vouchers from login boosts, then you have to buy them from the Simu Store or spend silvers in game if you can find people that have some and want to sell.

Maybe they can find a way to make these systems less tedious to get through and more useful to those that mastered the skills. I'll just leave that up to them since I can't think of any suggestions.

-Drumpel
Re: Make Alchemy Great (Again?) 07/13/2017 08:35 AM CDT
In the, what, 6-8 months since they were announced, I've found two (2) Greater essences. (Both earth, because of the creatures I was hunting.) I think one of the curious high-level guys moved himself & his wife to Teras for a holiday weekend to slaughter fire-beasties en masse, and they found something like a handful (probably genning faster because of a group presence).

Things of that rarity are just... annoying.
Re: Make Alchemy Great (Again?) 07/13/2017 09:37 AM CDT
>In the, what, 6-8 months since they were announced, I've found two (2) Greater essences. (Both earth, because of the creatures I was hunting.) I think one of the curious high-level guys moved himself & his wife to Teras for a holiday weekend to slaughter fire-beasties en masse, and they found something like a handful (probably genning faster because of a group presence).
>Things of that rarity are just... annoying.

Tell me about it. I thought I had a decent stock on my gorveneh potions, but I went through 4 potions for one project to go from 1x to 6x. The next enchantment project I want to work on requires 22 pours of gorveneh potion and I'm short 2 potions (only have 3 full ones for 15 pours).

Depending on what I can find the greater earth essences for, it'll run me anywhere upwards of a million silver for 2 of them (I've bought ones for 300k-500k in the past, depending on the seller). The high cost of these potions stacks up the cost of items I use them on should someone wish to buy them off me. I hate the rarity of these greater essences and how everything was worked into Alchemy.

Rare ingredients - I suppose there's a place for them, but the items they create need to be outstanding and not something to help mundane enchanting projects for flaring items. Seriously, how many people have a flaring item that they want to be enchanted? I don't know many people going around swinging a basic elemental flaring weapon with a high enchant - they tend to have fancy flares/scripts on their weapon from DR runs and such that a wizard can't enchant. Basic flaring weapons are kind of a second thought and not highly sought after.

Hopefully they can adjust things to improve alchemy and make these "rare" ingredients less "rare" for us few wizards that would like more pre-temper potions without breaking the bank or waiting months and months for a greater essence to become available.

-Drumpel
Re: Make Alchemy Great (Again?) 07/13/2017 12:50 PM CDT
I think this is a solid line of thought to make alchemy more useful with lasting payoffs:

>On that same train of thought, why don't we have some better spells available in trinket form that require rare ingredients? I'm talking about 215 talismans, 1109 rings, 712 pins, etc.

Forging is a grind, but people do it because it gives permanent and quite powerful payoffs--so why not alchemy too? Add X/day limits or level limits to these types of items and that should cover it from a balance perspective, especially if the level limits coincide with when spellburst and spell stripping start creeping into people's hunting grounds.

I'd really, really appreciate if my cleric could create 215 talismans and sell them to gain even a percentage of the profitability that she'd have if she were a sorcerer instead. And maybe my empath would finally bother signing up for her guild if she could give out a useful spell like 1109.

So, yes, sooner or later I'd definitely like to see alchemy get some love!

(I do lean toward "later," though, since I can think of at least fifteen things I'd rather see GMs working on. But hey, if it's low-hanging enough fruit or if some GM has passion for alchemy, go for it.)
Re: Make Alchemy Great (Again?) 07/13/2017 04:16 PM CDT
>> In the, what, 6-8 months since they were announced, I've found two (2) Greater essences. (Both earth, because of the creatures I was hunting.) I think one of the curious high-level guys moved himself & his wife to Teras for a holiday weekend to slaughter fire-beasties en masse, and they found something like a handful (probably genning faster because of a group presence).

We've done this three times now for about 4 hours each time on average. Two of the three trips we came up with one greater fire essence. The only reason I've gone back beyond the first trip is because it is simply mad experience for my wife's empath.

-- Robert

* Wyrom was just vaporized!