anti-mana bolt wands? 09/06/2015 12:30 AM CDT
Given the inability of any pure caster to hit any Vvrael, I wonder if it would be possible to use the alchemy system to create anti-mana wands that can hit them. I think that this would be a nice benefit to the alchemy system, and allow pures a chance to survive Vvarel, instead of having to run away. (not really an option in the scatter sometimes)

it could use an'ayanal leaves, oblivion quartzes (or any other rift gem, but those seem well suited), an alchemy reagent of some sort (could be new, maybe only drops in the Rift). I imagine boil, simmer, and channel.

Could even make different versions based on element (fire, air, water, earth), and require us to use lens to refract, if necessary.

Would be something cool for general alchemy masters.

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Speaking to Plur, Belnia says, "You're no Kembal."

[Roll result: -2112 (open d100: 82)]
A giantman thief crouches and sweeps a leg at you, but only manages to trip himself.
Re: anti-mana bolt wands? 09/06/2015 07:46 AM CDT
I'd be pretty excited about being able to make and use something like this!

-- Robert

"All wizards are beginners; some of us have just been beginning longer!"
Re: anti-mana bolt wands? 09/06/2015 04:12 PM CDT
and it would actually make alchemy somewhat worthwhile.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: anti-mana bolt wands? 09/06/2015 06:04 PM CDT
The Elf alone would probably keep 3 or 4 alchemists busy.

And imagine what would happen if the Midgets of Scatter (MoS) decided to buy in!

Doug
Re: anti-mana bolt wands? 09/07/2015 01:12 PM CDT
I'm for anything that makes alchemy more useful. I was just thinking about this actually. I had to do a tour of the lockers of Elanthia yesterday to find my alchemy supplies and make an inky black potion. It brought back such fond memories of staring into that cauldron for hours at a time.
Re: anti-mana bolt wands? 09/08/2015 05:15 PM CDT

This ability should just be given to balefire, which originates with extraplanar demon magic, as I've asked for repeatedly... but barring that. Yes excellent idea.
Re: anti-mana bolt wands? 09/09/2015 10:42 PM CDT
I'm not buying it. An magical wand that does anti-magic? Nope.
Re: anti-mana bolt wands? 09/10/2015 08:13 AM CDT
>> I'm not buying it. An magical wand that does anti-magic? Nope.

It's not a magical wand. It's an anti-magic wand. Duh.

-- Robert

The ELR will never end! VIVE LA ELR! ~ Konacon
Re: anti-mana bolt wands? 09/16/2015 12:30 PM CDT
>I'm not buying it. An magical wand that does anti-magic? Nope. - Geijon

Lost track of this, but the reason I specified the an'ayanal leaf as an ingredient for this formula is the anti-magic nature. It only grows in outdoor anti-magic rooms. Currently, only empaths really use it in alchemy for physical stat enhancers and a couple of other items, and I think it's a pretty neat herb that isn't getting enough use.

Similarly, I specified only alchemical actions that don't involve putting mana into the solution itself. (well, if I remember the messaging for boil and simmer right, anyway)

Add in a Rift gem, heck, could even add in an additional Rift herb or new alchemy drop of some sort.

I have no idea if this thing will fly, but it'd be a great addition.

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

A giantman thief crouches and sweeps a leg at you, but only manages to trip himself.
Re: anti-mana bolt wands? 09/16/2015 12:32 PM CDT

>Add in a Rift gem

stop that!
Re: anti-mana bolt wands? 09/16/2015 06:09 PM CDT
stop that! - Allereli

Well, I suggested oblivion quartzes in the OP, and I sell those in my shop? :P

Yes, I know, it'd make it hard to generate a bunch of these at once.

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Re: anti-mana bolt wands? 09/16/2015 06:29 PM CDT
I like where the ingredient angle is going. I wonder what other type of thing it could make instead though. I get the point but unlesd someone is a savant/psionic i kind of go rule lawyet and say well they are magic immune because of it.
Re: anti-mana bolt wands? 09/16/2015 09:34 PM CDT
If savants get released and they can hit Vvarel, that'd be interesting. (and maybe also cause riots by other pures)

In the meantime, though, anti-mana bolt wands!

I should talk to you about the stuff that can be made with an'ayanal leaf. It's used in essence of body, so it ends up being in greater strength crystals, greater constitution crystals, greater stamina regeneration crystals, etc.

Rishi
- Player of KEmbal

Re: anti-mana bolt wands? 09/16/2015 10:49 PM CDT
What would make sense is an alchemy recipe which uses a component that Vvrael themselves drop.
Re: anti-mana bolt wands? 09/18/2015 04:50 AM CDT
>What would make sense is an alchemy recipe which uses a component that Vvrael themselves drop.

a pool of highly corrosive acid

>get acid

Ooops, looks like the acid just got your hand. Luckily you have another one.
Re: anti-mana bolt wands? 09/18/2015 06:49 AM CDT
Good thing rogues have these super useful vials which can readily hold acid.