identify old equipment 03/29/2022 09:46 AM CDT
Hello,

I just reactivate my account and for 99% of my gear I have no clue about their enchantment or other properties.

Is there a searchable website where I might go to look for some of my gear. If I have to use the thingy (an orb? the mirror? forgot what) in the abandoned inn and then look up bards/warriors etc. for anything that might havespecial properties?

I probably have a couple hundred weapons and pieces of armour to look through as well as some other gear.

Marc aka Caran...
Re: identify old equipment 03/29/2022 10:15 AM CDT
Honestly? Most of it is likely off-the-shelf (or merchant found, essentially the same thing) equipment so not likely terribly special, other than emotional attachment.

Since the Abandoned Inn crystal reveals (existence) properties all at once and with, as I recall, little or no RT--and certainly not the "several verses for several seconds each" that a Bard's loresong does--I would likely just script your way through a big backpack of inventory and see what has "interesting" properties.
- indigo (6x) or violet (7x) enchants
- whichever weighting/padding (crit or damage) you might care about
- whichever type(s) of flare(s) you might care about

In addition, you can now "inspect" and "analyze" gear, and those have no RT at all. Quick way to find scripted stuff, possibly. I think "assess", though, does have RT (to see degree of weighting/padding, if you're a Warrior).
Re: identify old equipment 03/29/2022 10:26 AM CDT
You can try here: https://gswiki.play.net/Main_Page

Also, I will sometimes just google the item with quotes around it so it only searches exact matches.

You could also use the AI Crystal to get ballpark info: https://gswiki.play.net/Abandoned_Inn_crystal

- Andreas
Re: identify old equipment 03/29/2022 11:36 AM CDT
Thank you both. I just tried searching via google and the wiki. I only found a very few of the items I thought might be worth looking at. It took me about an hour looking through the lockers of my two oldest characters. I will indeed try the ai crystal with a bunch of stuff and then see whether I need help from another warrior (my main can assess thw and in theory brawling, I think a lil one might be able to do ohb) and/or bard.

I was a bit shocked that I haven't played my main since 2009 and then probably just for a few days. Time flies and my memory is not what it used to be (though I apparently still can navigate Wehnimer's Landing blindly). And of course I have no files on my external HDs about my GS-IV gear. This time I will try to keep some decent backups.

Marc aka Caran...
Re: identify old equipment 03/29/2022 01:00 PM CDT
My tips on old item research:

1. Identify the gear's properties as much as you can with LOOK, APPRAISE, the crystal at the Abandoned Inn, or a bard's loresong. Do not ask me how to use the crystal, I am a bardess. I have zero idea how the obfuscated cypher of the crystal works.

2. Use INSPECT and ANALYZE for gear specifications and scripted information identification. Specific professions can also get information about item properties if you are a wizard, sorcerer, warrior, bard.

3. SEARCH A: Use quotes in the search at the wiki around the business part of the item: "burnished forest green leather" and look for an EXACT match from a previous merchant. These won't have their own page, most of the time, so you will need to look at the shop/s involved.

4. SEARCH B: Use what looks like a key phrase, again with quotes, to search at the wiki for more information about what script is on the item. If any.

5. SEARCH C: Use one of the verbs, if applicable, and use that quoted phrase to search at the wiki. If it has a custom loresong, find a likely key phrase and use it for a search, too. The way the item interacts with you via various commands can identify the script. Very few of them have overlapping output.

6. Rinse and repeat the three searches above on Google and search for your quoted string and use GemStone outside the quoted phrase to tell Google you only want GS related stuff. The wiki is only so old, and only has so many years of festival shop listings. There are archived threads at the Player's Corner with all sorts of old information.

You might catch GSwiki results popping up from Google that don't pop up at the wiki search, too.

7. There's a GS-only search engine that can help too. http://gs4search.surge.sh/

And ... don't sell anything you think may be valuable to anyone without checking with someone knowledgeable - that you trust. Some old OTS stuff still has some sentimental value to collectors.

If your locker is as old as the ICE Age ... the above goes double for potentially anything the remotest bit plain looking to you.

Luxie

--
ESP TUNE TOWNCRIER or ;tune towncrier
Web: http://gstowncrier.com/
Daily Email: gstowncrier.com/subscribe/

gstowncrier.com/where-to-find-the-towncrier/

Send in news: https://bit.ly/2ISsz2l

P.S. Help Wanted, Inquire Within
Re: identify old equipment 03/29/2022 01:04 PM CDT
>(though I apparently still can navigate Wehnimer's Landing blindly)

I was gone for 19 years. It was Kelfour's Landing the last time I had played, and while nearly all the names of the places and streets had changed, I could navigate myself anywhere I needed to go in the Landing, I learned.

I hope you have as much fun as I had discovering new things, and rediscovering things that are new again around that next corner!

--
ESP TUNE TOWNCRIER or ;tune towncrier
Web: http://gstowncrier.com/
Daily Email: gstowncrier.com/subscribe/

gstowncrier.com/where-to-find-the-towncrier/

Send in news: https://bit.ly/2ISsz2l

P.S. Help Wanted, Inquire Within
Re: identify old equipment 03/29/2022 01:43 PM CDT
Depending on how old the stuff you have is, there might not be ANALYZE info on it even if it's scripted. Up until somewhere between maybe 5-10 years ago there was a lot of inconsistency around what got that info and what didn't, but since than just about anything with properties not found in bard loresongs has at least a hint of them in the ANALYZE even if it's not explicitly spelled out.

All the advice I saw scanning the other replies in this thread are good, but you might wanna bookmark this page on the wiki for fast reference: https://gswiki.play.net/Demystifying_unusual_loot_guide

I think everything there has been mentioned at least once in the thread, but it's a good easy to get to spot to find it all at once.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: identify old equipment 03/29/2022 02:51 PM CDT
If you find yourself in need of millions of silvers and you still have some of the ICE material names, the character name you search for is "Ardwen". He typically buys all of the old name stuff he can find, and pays fair coin.
Re: identify old equipment 03/29/2022 04:03 PM CDT
No not that old Kraaki, I only started playing in the early AOL days.

But, as I see you here, I have to confess a bad conscience. I still have a weapon of yours from a lend/borrow trade from ages ago, probably 2009 or earlier (I was back once in between but did not play Caranorn so never noticed).

"a barbed rolaren chain flail" It is crit weighted, I think heavily though I'd have to assess it to be sure. It might be bonded to Caranorn, though his combat manoeuvrers are massively messed up as he apparently had nowhere near the CM-points needed so almost all dropped minutes after I logged in to check his stats and the like. But training stuff is something I will have to look into another time, it will probably take a couple of days till I'm actually ready to play.

I think I gave you an eonake flail in it's place, probably with some kind of flares (I always preferred weighting to flares) no where near the quality or value of your rolaren one. And no, my cleric doesn't really need that flail, and my paladin should be fine too.

I might be mistaken about the exact weapon, but it was a crit weighted flail for a eonake flail.

I should have contacted you before I retired after we made that trade. Not even sure how long ago that was. If you want it back let me know, if not I'd be glad to keep using it and will this time either let you know before I retire (hopefully not in the coming weeks) or hand it over to someone reliable who will be able to return it to you.

Oh, oh, that reminds me of a weapon Thrudh gifted me way way back. A switchable flail-morning star. I just searched through the inventory I took of my main characters and can't find anything that would obviously fit, I'm pretty sure it was a simple 0x (if you can call a switchable THW/OHB simple). Hopefully I gave it to a low level character I did not bother to check, will have to do that tomorrow.

Marc aka Caran...

P.S.: I really want to check my gear so I know which is which, I don't plan to sell anything at this time, I wouldn't know what to use the money on anyhow.
Re: identify old equipment 03/29/2022 05:30 PM CDT
Good on you! A year or so ago I ran across another character who had come back, and he found the self-mana Forage spear (from I think the 1999 Auction) that I had loaned to him before he went on extended sabbatical.
So there is very definitely honor among GemStone players. :)

I have "an eonake flail" recorded (on FlailBoy the Paladin) as "borrowed from Carantur". So if that's you, I did not have that marked as a trade, but rather you doing me a favor. I do remember hunting out an eonake flail at either a merchant or a PlayerShop, so that I had one of mine and was able to return the loaner.
And I also have "a barbed rolaren chain flail" sitting in his Landing locker, so either I had more than one, or if I felt a need I was able to find another.

Sounds to me like I owe you an eonake flail. :)

"A switchable flail-morning star."

Keep that, OR demand ultra-stupid high amounts of money for it.

So far as I know--from GM Mikos, at a long-ago weapons forum--there are precisely three (3) bastard-type blunt weapons.
One of them was the club (suck 1HCrush) / staff (suck 2Hand) that I had, and later sold to Ardwen.
One I cannot recall the properties of (the two weapon bases).
And one is the morning star (good 1HCrush) / flail (good[-ish] 2Hand), which you are currently looking for in your various inventories & lockers.

Speaking of "looking for things"... "inv full" shows you everything on you, including in (open) containers. And "locker manifest <town name>" does the same without you having to schlep over there.

Excellent recent[-ish] additions.
Re: identify old equipment 03/30/2022 05:28 AM CDT
Yes, Carantur is indeed my cleric.

I find no eonake flail in my inventories (other types of sanctified flail, other eonake weapons, but no match).

I'm pretty sure we did this as a trade as I see no other way I could have gotten the rolaren one.

You wouldn't have a record of what the switchable flail/morning star looked like? I hope I haven't lost it, not even for me, I'd love to keep those special (even if probably no longer considered powerful) pieces in game. I will double check my low level characters now.

Marc aka Caran...
Re: identify old equipment 03/30/2022 08:36 AM CDT
Right: you have no eonake flail because you had loaned (or traded) it to me, presumably for the barbed rolaren one. Since I have it marked down as "loaned" from you, I think you were doing me a solid.
At this point I do in fact have two (2) eonake flails, so I can return the one that I think is yours.

And since I have one of the barbed rolaren flails again/still, I'm not hurting for the one you ran across. I suspect either compulsive OTS purchasing (buy two, because one left hand empty and one right hand empty) or aftermarket bargain gathering or similar motives.
Re: identify old equipment 03/30/2022 08:38 AM CDT
(Posted before I finished this first thought.)

Start by finding out whom you have that is trained in 1HCrush and 2Hand; that will likely narrow things down a lot. :)

Add the verb "grip" to your weapon analyses--in addition to look, inspect, analyze, assess, appraise, crystal rubbing, and so on--and you should be able to figure out which one it is pretty quickly. The one that changes from 1hand to 2hand will be the one. (Make sure your other hand is empty, though...)

"Mikos says, "There will be more brawling weapons added, but don't expect them soon. We'll be looking them over closely and adding them slowly. Besides the bastard sword, a hand-switchable blunt weapon will be in the next batch of new weapons. Call it a bastard flail or bastard mace if you like." -- in-game weapon forum, 11 August 1997

I'm pretty sure that the later discussion was where he told us that there was not just mine but two others--something that I had never heard a whisper of, and at the time I was pretty seriously using Krakii as a weapon-swinger so I had the grasping tentacles out for weapon acquisition--but I have no other record of that talk.
Re: identify old equipment 03/30/2022 03:16 PM CDT
Can't seem to find that flail/morning star, though I haven't checked every character in detail yet. I've been copy pasting basic data like expe, info, health, skill, cman, inv full, lockers into backup files for all the characters that looked played, but I have some minor ones with less than 5 levels or so. None of my older ones have both THW and OHB any more, something I always regretted, in GS-III I had a character with THW, OHB, OHE and Polearms, oh and of course shields, but those kinds of stats are no longer possible today. Anyhow I tried grip on all morning stars and or flails I've looked at so far, no luck, but I have a bunch to go through, only cleared Caranorn so far...

How do I tell whether a weapon is blessed? Some seem to show "A faint aura of holy light radiates from ", but others have no messaging, don't show as anything other than enchant on the crystal but can't seem to be blessed via voln. Though I did not consider that Caranorn might be out of favour. I know it's no longer as important, but I think carrying one blessable and one weighted weapon at all times should still be useful

If you want to return the eonake flail we can certainly fix a meeting. I play European times, but I plan to log in tomorrow (March 31) for an event of one of my old groups, planned it as a surprise but I let it slip yesterday that I was back. But I expect I will be around at least once a week on American schedules for groups, houses and hopefully some events.

Marc aka Caran...
Re: identify old equipment 03/30/2022 04:48 PM CDT
<How do I tell whether a weapon is blessed? Some seem to show "A faint aura of holy light radiates from ", but others have no messaging, don't show as anything other than enchant on the crystal but can't seem to be blessed via voln. Though I did not consider that Caranorn might be out of favour. I know it's no longer as important, but I think carrying one blessable and one weighted weapon at all times should still be useful>

There might be a few scripts that prevent weapons from being blessed, but flares, weighting, etc no longer prevent it. I'd go with the out of favor theory, though you never know with really old items.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: identify old equipment 04/06/2022 10:04 AM CDT

Damn, I had high hopes to see expansion on the ohb/2hb from GM Mikos back then. (mental twitch and sigh) I'd love to see GM pick up and run with this. Heck for that matter I'd love to see a GM pick up and run with making the bastard axe an actual weapon type like the bastard sword and katana are, so that CMan Wspec works the same for bastard axes. Welcome back Marc!

Jim/Celtar
Re: identify old equipment 04/11/2022 06:52 AM CDT
Thanks Jim.

I hope I gifted that morning star/flail to someone. Haven't found it yet on any of my characters. And yes, switchable blunts, and any such weapons would definitely be great.

Unfortunately I did not keep good documentation on my equipment as Krakii does. I always wrote it up, but somehow forgot to do backups of my files. Not this time though, I back up all my GS files to two external drives now.

Marc aka Caran...
Re: identify old equipment 04/11/2022 06:34 PM CDT

>> back up all my GS files to two external drives now.

me too. I still lose stuff.

>grumble<

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)