New Skinning restriction in F2P? 01/01/2021 07:24 AM CST
I'm a casual player and I used to be able to play for a while (at least an hour) before hitting my treasure generation cap on F2P.

About 3 days ago, I noticed I'm getting the following error upon trying to skin my very first creature:
[Because your account is free, you have a daily limit on your treasure generation. To reset or raise this cap, please visit the SimuCoins Store.]

Is this a new F2P restriction? If it is, then I'm afraid F2P has finally become too restrictive and I will be forced to leave Gemstone as F2P is "unplayable".

But that's not the real issue. Why don't I just sign up for a basic subscription?
I understand the need for revenue to keep the lights on, but I am of the opinion a basic subscription is too expensive for what you get.
I think Gemstone IV is a fantastic game, but your basic subscription is $14.95/month!
To put this in perspective, consider other forms of entertainment available to me:
Disney+ for $6.99/month
ESPN+ for $5.99/month
Standard Netflix is $13.99/month (but even their basic starts at $8.99)
Jackbox Party Pack - $30 max (one time fee)
Nintendo Switch Online subscription $3.99/month (that's 3.5x more expensive than a basic, monthly video game subscription)

By comparison to the above, the basic Gemstone IV subscription (as a casual player) is insanely expensive and I just can't justify it.
I would love to see a one-time fee structure (pay $100 and have your character for life) or a monthly subscription below $10.
I suspect this post won't change anything, but I wanted to give you some honest insight to my thought process on why I'm NOT a subscription player (which is the real issue).
Thank you for your time.

P.S. If you don't control cost structure, could you please send this message to someone that does?
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 01/01/2021 09:50 AM CST

You seem like a genuinely new player and thank you so so much for playing this game!

I’m going to give you the full run-down about this game, warts and all, so you can make the best decision that fits you.

::long sigh:: First, there really isn’t a better way to break this to you but that $14.95 is really the absolute best deal and I don’t believe that will ever change.(but who knows?)

I know it doesn’t make a lick of sense in the modern age especially for a F2P game but you have to realize this game is OLD like older than me and maybe you (like in RL not characters). Back in the day when MMOs were new 14.95 was standard.

In fact, it was much much more expensive during the bad ole’ days of AoL and prodigy, companies you may not have heard of. Back then it was by the hour or even minute and charges could creep into the thousands per month.

Speaking of thousands. Let me get into the um, “full costs” to enjoy the game:

So I believe in 2019 or whenever there were a pair of in-game boots (the stuff your character wears in the feet slot) that sold for nearly $25,000 US dollars. Yeah... you read that right. That’s an extreme but I think it illistrates the point.

That isn’t to say you can finish the game, that is get to level 100, just by paying $14.95 a month. In fact, it’s very easy to get to level 100 just by picking stuff up off the ground. It’s been done many times in this way.

However, far post-cap ,that is way after level 100 is reached, (you can gain exp to fill out your other skills and now the brand new Ascension skills) new so-called “post-cap” hunting grounds may alter a character’s need for gear. But nobody knows except possibly the GMs since these hunting grounds have not yet been designed.

So now for some good news.

The stuff I’m about to tell you is taboo officially but is widely practiced especially by veterans of the game. There exists a way to play the game for free. Basically, it involves the selling of in-game items for RL dollars (Simutronics officially condones it but it’s been practiced regularly since the game began). It’s in reality a healthy part of the game’s ecosystem and the game will suffer for it if it ever went away.

Anyhow, if and when you become more established you could easily sell the in-game currency to play the game for zero bucks. There is a website which I’m forbidden to mention here that would facilitate easy FL sales. I warn you although you could easily discern said website through a google search it is not as ‘prim and proper’ as the officials here and you may be offended in RL so proceed there at your own peril.

Alternatively, sales of all kinds can be done through Lich which is officially accepted sorta. Look up Lich on GSWIKI.

If you wish to continue to play the game as F2P you could get away with a few F2P items like a treasure token (which would solve your skinning issue) and exp token. I calculated this setup to about 5 or 6 bucks a month but be warned forst that takes $100 up-front cost for the SIMUCOINs and it still would pale to the benefits you get for subbing. You WILL notice the difference especially when you party up with subbers.

OK, that is the basics of the monetary costs of the game. The RP and even some festivals once in a while are all free. And in reality all you need is that EXP simucoin pass to progress toward cap. It’s a great game and remember to ask for help in-game. See you there!
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 01/01/2021 01:24 PM CST
What I'm guessing is happening here:

You are now 10 or more levels above some of the creatures you're killing, and you're trying to skin them.

F2P characters can't skin creatures they don't earn EXP from, and the "weekly cap" error message is appearing because there seems to be very little will to address bugs in the F2P system.
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 07/03/2021 05:32 AM CDT

Simutronics management *does not* care or will ever care about F2P. It's a dead subscription model for them and none of the other GMs will take on the F2P mantle because their pay is tied to development that generates $$.

Wyrom technically is the F2P developer. But the changes that need to be made to F2P is based on pricing and accessibility. Wyrom says he has no control over these factors but I don't think he's entirely telling the truth. He's done sales with like 80% off on items and he's altered Simucoin products before on the fly. It's just for some reason he thinks there's no profit to be made with a an actual F2P model.

It's one of the problems with having one monolithic PM who has a complete control over everything policy in terms of the game's business model. It leads to tunnel vision and eventually lost opportunities.
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 07/03/2021 07:23 AM CDT
By way of curiosity, what do you believe needs to be added to F2P?
- They can already play the game for, you know... free. (With certain restrictions.)
- They can abate most (all?) of the restrictions for just about the same amount of money that they would pay for one month of, you know... an actual subscription.
- They can take part in paid events by, you know... paying.

What more is there?
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 07/03/2021 08:15 AM CDT
KRAKII

It's been mentioned ad nauseum on these boards, discord (would be nice if there was an F2P channel on there), and elsewhere.

But off the top of my head:

-Spells not working properly even with pass or is completely not practical.

-Spells that just don't have a pass to begin with like enchanting or ensorcelling.

-Crafting has no pass and is completely blocked.

-Warrior guild and other guilds have no pass and is completely blocked. This is like half the class for warriors and their functionality.

-Almost all the festivals block F2P from spinners or other activities, they basically see us as "non-players" or tourists although I probably pay $40+ month actual cash (not silver derived) into the game.

-The F2P piecemeal purchasing mechanism is clunky as heck, it takes me 10 minutes just to setup my F2P tokens for the day. Just add a bundled F2P package make it so much easier.

And if you were wondering KRAKKI why I pay so much, it's mainly because I really don't like recurring billing, in fact a lot of companies depend on recurring billing to kinda hoodwink people out of money (aka stopped playing but it's still charging in the background forgotten). Further, my play times are erratic and sometimes I just want to GemStone for 30 hours straight and then go on a month long hiatus. Furthermore, I'm 21, all I've ever known is microtrans mostly on my mobile games. Paying a sub for a game is like WoW back in 2005 smh.
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 07/03/2021 08:52 AM CDT
<And if you were wondering KRAKKI why I pay so much, it's mainly because I really don't like recurring billing, in fact a lot of companies depend on recurring billing to kinda hoodwink people out of money (aka stopped playing but it's still charging in the background forgotten)>

For what you're paying each month, you'd be much better off lobbying for a non-recurring prime/premium option.... even if they charged a few dollars more a month for those that choose that route, you'd still be coming out ahead with either one. You could still manually pay each month with no worries about being charged for months you don't pay, would get all the perks of a paid account, and could even put the savings towards paid events it you wanted.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 07/03/2021 10:14 AM CDT

Well what I really want if I was Simutronics CEO or whatever is a day pass. One day. All access. No nickel and diming. No cutting it up until it's unrecognizable. Just an all-access one day pass.
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 07/03/2021 10:35 AM CDT
And if you were Simutronics CEO or whatever, what would you charge for this day pass (24 real world clock hours of subscription-level gaming for F2P):

1) $2.50
2) $1.25
3) $0.75

I could see these three bundles being offered and even designed to permit usage being mixed. Option Three could be just for gaming in general, but retain all non-merchant and exclusionary spell access. Option Two could be gaming in general and lift non-merchant, but retain exclusionary spell access. Option One would be everything, including exclusionary spell access.

Some will note that this is not a basic rate divided by 30 days in a month, purposefully and for a couple of reasons. Foremost amongst those reasons is margin erosion would be too great to justify with the increase in credit card fees. Also includes the concept that variable numbers of people at fest / event affairs needs to be accounted for (keep in mind, the fee for the event is still separate, but the prep and support changes). And finally the balance between the concepts around class-defining spells or effects (925 / 735 leading the pack, but more and more professions are getting this these days! :) ) was never intended to be offered to F2P, so a distinct and separate premium is required there.

As a side note - the various profession based gathering of resources to cast those spells would only be enabled if the spell would be enabled, so no hunting at Option Three or Two to gather resources, and then pay for one day of casting the spell.

Doug
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 07/03/2021 10:49 AM CDT
>> And if you were Simutronics CEO or whatever, what would you charge for this day pass (24 real world clock hours of subscription-level gaming for F2P):

$4.95

-- Robert

>> A mongrel kobold points at you and yells, "Mine! Chasin!"
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 07/03/2021 12:04 PM CDT
I could see something like a day pass to enable regular play, but there are some things in the game that aren't straightforward to unbox. Most spells and general experience gain don't seem so difficult. Inventory, on the other hand, I still consider a failure. Whether F2P is capped at 100 slots or 50 slots, it's still free, and players seem to be creating a veritable army of two-fisting giantman backpackers. Guild nights, something where there is a bonus once a week or otherwise via token, need to be done separately. Same with Gift of Lumnis. There's no reasonable way to include these in a day pass if they are gated by time.

And my own opinion is that crafting and services that accrue resources (925/735/etc.) require dedication over time and can't apply to F2P in increments less than a month. However, it would be nice to allow a month pass to enable these, then fall back to F2P afterward.

Month Pass - something like a standard subscription but converts back to F2P at the end
Week Pass - like a month pass but without crafting and resources
Day Pass - like a week pass but without guilds and things that are gated by time

There are lots of nuances in all this because old systems were created without F2P in mind. Hopefully, as time progresses, some of these will be converted a bit so they make more sense with F2P options and things like these day passes will be easier to implement.
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 07/03/2021 12:12 PM CDT

>>And if you were Simutronics CEO or whatever, what would you charge for this day pass (24 real world clock hours of subscription-level gaming for F2P):

>>1) $2.50
2) $1.25
3) $0.75

>>I could see these three bundles being offered and even designed to permit usage being mixed. Option Three could be just for gaming in general, but retain all non-merchant and exclusionary spell access. Option Two could be gaming in general and lift non-merchant, but retain exclusionary spell access. Option One would be everything, including exclusionary spell access.

Pretty draconian. But yes, let's get this show started!

Also, Doug, you need to step outside of your 20+ years playing the game and see it from a new player's perspective. You are assuming immediate exploitation ," ohhhh gawd how is XYZ super merchant gonna exploit this.. grumble grumble." And rather just look at it from, "oh look this is GemStone IV, neat, let me give it a try!"

From that perspective, charging 2.50 a 24 hour period is insane but possible since it'll deter most enchanter/ensorcell/weighter potential exploiters. They'll just sub up 14.95, as it makes zero business sense from that super merchant point of view.
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 07/03/2021 01:02 PM CDT
>>Also, Doug, you need to step outside of your 20+ years playing the game and see it from a new player's perspective. You are assuming immediate exploitation ," ohhhh gawd how is XYZ super merchant gonna exploit this.. grumble grumble." And rather just look at it from, "oh look this is GemStone IV, neat, let me give it a try!"

>>From that perspective, charging 2.50 a 24 hour period is insane but possible since it'll deter most enchanter/ensorcell/weighter potential exploiters. They'll just sub up 14.95, as it makes zero business sense from that super merchant point of view.

I'd really like to be a better person in that way, truly. But 20+ years of watching it happen, year after year, (and I could go on here, but really am trying to be better) kind of hardens my perspective in ways that aren't quite that open.

I will freely admit, though, that I do not and never have appreciated anything like a 'micro transaction' game (let alone enjoyed one). I am interested in what you think is suitable, maybe just a teensy draconian - there is a balance between generating the sub and keeping players who won't sub but do want the better experience. I have no passion / experience around where that point might be. So weigh in!

Doug
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 07/03/2021 01:17 PM CDT
<You are assuming immediate exploitation>

In Doug's defense, players have proven time and again over the history of both GS and online gaming in general that if they can exploit something, they will. Whether it's to make their characters more powerful, for monetary gain, or just cause they can get away with it... that minority is why we can't have certain things.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 07/03/2021 04:25 PM CDT

yeah or I mean the absolute least they can do is bundle these sc tokens together, same price, just put them on the same token or whatever. Like some stuff is serious levels of crazy, it's like they are punishing you. Not only do they make you pay double to access the game but they make it absolutely tedious going back and forth into the simustore scrolling through everything.

-and this here is insane... when you try to claim your simustore item it's like one giant duhhhhhhh scrolllllll of like 1 thousand items. Duplicates and things are just listed one on top the other not even collated like Lumnis Token(87) or something organized and sane and worst of all they are based on when you bought said items so it's literally finding a needle in a hay stack. It takes me literally eye scrolling through the mess to find the number pertaining to the item.

And don't get me started with Lumnis. 1 month of F2P Lumnis is like 16 bucks (by itself!) not including all the other society or inventory or treasure or gear passes etc. etc. But guess what, it doesn't even work, you actually need to couple it with an EXP token to get the actual Lumnis benefit. It's absolutely insane. That's why I keep telling people this is NOT any kind of F2P for "new" players. This is F2P designed for people already playing to squeeze a few more cents out of them for that alt wiz spell-uper or inventory/locker guy.

Anyhow, at the very least combine the two tokens (Lumnis + exp) add up the price but do it so I can just redeem one token instead of trying to find two. Very simple things that really takes zero time and have zero financial impact but they just refuse to touch any of it. Because they just don't care. And I'm beginning to think they never have.
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 07/03/2021 04:43 PM CDT
Given what I've read about the group-spell hassles, and what I know about lockers, I would never be inclined to use a F2P account as either a spell-bot nor a mule.
If sixteen bucks gets you a month of Lumnis for one character, that's about a third of a Premium subscription right there... which comes with FIFTEEN characters, bigger lockers on ALL of them in ALL the towns, and (by definition) no limitations on the spells.
Then, as you say, there's the hassle of having to first get the SC, then buy the items, then deliver the items, then actually USE the items. All of these things have one thing in common, and that is "use up my time."

I never took any advanced mathematics classes, but I can sniff out cost/benefit analyses and "reduced time suck" with the best of 'em.

And I pretty much agree with your analysis that they aren't really bending over to make changes.
Why should they? These (particular) micro-transactions are NOT a huge money-factory for them; those are the event tickets, like DuskRuin.
The F2P up-sells are basically them throwing a bone to those accounts, on the premise that getting some money from them is better than nothing at all.
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 07/03/2021 06:28 PM CDT

>>Why should they? These (particular) micro-transactions are NOT a huge money-factory for them; those are the event tickets, like DuskRuin.

And that's it innit? They only truly care about a handful of players, the big spenders. I would even go so far to say that Wyrom has all pegged to some tier system based on how much we spend, by account and character names, seriously.

People who spend under 20 bucks a month probably don't even register unless a whole bunch of us close our accounts. I expect nothing just want them to end this charade and go back to 30 month free.
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 07/03/2021 07:18 PM CDT
>>yeah or I mean the absolute least they can do is bundle these sc tokens together, same price

I'm pretty sure this could at least be considered - but I don't know what it consists of. So, what's the price for 'everything' as you consider it?

And yeah, I'm also pretty sure the 'scroll' stuff will get tended to. Might take a decade or so, but convenience isn't the sole province of subscription accounts - just terribly heavily weighted that way.

Doug
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 07/03/2021 09:55 PM CDT
Uhhhh... I do not know of ANY time when the game was free for 2.5 years (30 months). What is this going back to?

Yes, playing with AOL discs from magazines would get you 700-1000 hours (in the later versions) but every time you ran out the clock you had to create a new account.
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 07/03/2021 10:17 PM CDT
I think he means going back to the 30 day free trial.
Re: New Skinning restriction in F2P? 07/03/2021 11:41 PM CDT
>>It's a dead subscription model for them and none of the other GMs will take on the F2P mantle because their pay is tied to development that generates $$.

Really? Tell us more. Inquiring minds want to know.