Roleplaying award system revamp 06/07/2021 05:08 PM CDT
Instead of GM awarded RPAs being flat EXP or EXP modifiers I would propose a change to a points-based system where players could purchase their reward with said points. Using the current RPAs as an example:
Flat level 1 = 1 point
flat level 2 = 2 points
flat level 3 = 3 points
flat level 4 = 4 points
Modifier, level 1 = 5 points
and so on.
When a GM would award a flat level 2 reward the player would instead get 2 points added to their Roleplaying points total. Players could then choose to either save up more points or spend them as awarded on various benefits.
Expanding on the existing EXP amounts and modifiers, players could spend their points on professional resources and other such types of rewards. I'd leave the line up to better people along with the costs, but I would suggest even considering putting rewards such as "100 premium points" as a high level award which would open up the chance for non premium to tap into the premium rewards system over a long term where there are a lot of great new additions to the system. Unless the cost was very high, I could understand that any reward would have to be automated and not a merchant service. This still leaves the door open for a lot of options.

Wyrom says, "Ordim is the reason savants won't be coded as well."
Re: Roleplaying award system revamp 06/08/2021 11:15 AM CDT
This conversation has some merit. We've heard this morning on Discord that some folks do not care about the experience modifiers received from RP NOMs, so perhaps providing another service(s) folks are more interested in would improve its usage and the sense of personal accomplishment by the nominees? Points toward GALD (hah, rebirth of the alter token; usable at regular events, not a special one-off), profession service juice modifiers, redemption for SimuCoin store goods, all these are all great options. I suspect it would have to be designed in such a way that it doesn't have any heavier a load on staff than the present approach to get traction with staff though....

Interesting food for thought.

Some lady softly says, "Naamit is over-rated."
You reply, speaking to the lady, "At least I have ratings."
Re: Roleplaying award system revamp 12/31/2021 02:55 PM CST
This once again came up as a major discussion for various reasons. Here is a refinement to the system and what was posted on the general channel of discord:
I'll start this off by saying this is not trying to export drama, but to bring forth an idea that evolved from a recurring situation elsewhere and would like to open it up further. In an effort to expand on the rewards for RP within the game in general and to try and add some structure within GM led storylines, including storyline specific rewards of fluff or mechanical nature, the following proposal for revamping the "RPA" system:

Show up and not be disruptive = punch card (GM tool developed to mark characters automatically and keep track, resettable for new storylines etc)
X punchs = X RPA points during break points or over course of event
additional points awarded via RPA system for going above and beyond as per discretion of gms etc
All RPA awards go into a point system (needs to be developed)
RPA shop, open all the time, storyline items can be placed in at critical points related to the storyline (needs to be developed/created, any item is unlimited amount can be sold)
Players choose how to cash in their points, highest cost item for storyline specific items not to exceed punch card prices
Does not exclude items going out by raffle or other means
Anyone doing ANY RP that would generate an RPA by any GM goes into the pool. Existing RPA orbs reward points instead.
EXP modifiers can exists as rewards from the shop to continue that functionality

The topic has come up in various ways and can be very contentious. The initial response led to this proposal that seems to strike a balance that could help provide resources for storytelling GMs to reward players if they choose, parts can be leveraged by MHOs to automate attendance, and could help remove one or more points that cause contention amongst the playerbase, which covers a wide range of passions and areas of the game that they enjoy.

Re: Roleplaying award system revamp 01/01/2022 11:19 AM CST
I like this
Re: Roleplaying award system revamp 01/01/2022 12:01 PM CST
I like these ideas! Over in DragonRealms, they moved to a RPA points system over a decade ago. In addition to the points, players then choose when to start/pause their RPA from their pool of points, and can choose the level of the RPA modifier.

It was pretty handy to do these things on your own schedule.

On the other hand, I have really appreciated how the GS way uses experience modifier rewards and when you absorb all your exp, they automatically pause.

And I suppose my last comment would be that I hope a new points revamp thingie still allows for random exp orb-like gifts.

I don't get to many actual roleplaying events or storylines, and when I do, I stay in character. Rare would it be for Luxie to be anything but quiet, observing, respectful, and to do what she was told to do by her elders. Which does not add up to much roleplaying potential in the eyes of others. It's a RP problem looking for a solution, and I cannot be the only one.

--
ESP TUNE TOWNCRIER or ;tune towncrier
Web: http://gstowncrier.com/
Daily Email: gstowncrier.com/subscribe/

gstowncrier.com/where-to-find-the-towncrier/

Send in news: https://bit.ly/2ISsz2l

P.S. Help Wanted, Inquire Within
Re: Roleplaying award system revamp 01/01/2022 01:39 PM CST
After much vigerous discussion, the following proposal was generally accepted as "a good start" when discussing the RP nominate system:

Existing system of nomination to draw attention remains, GMs can still award RPAs as normal. Players would have something like RP nominate AWARD as an option to award their discretionary RPAs
additional - Players given a monthly base amount of discretionary lowest level RPAs
When a player is granted an RPA by a GM, it can include additional discretionary RPAs or they are earned with any GM applied RPA
Discretionary RPAs available to be purchased in RPA store or at events
Discretionary RPAs would be account wide, acknowledging there could be abuse but the abuse would be outweighed by the advantages and empowerment of players.
Only 1 discretionary award can be given to a unique character per month, resetting each month

Open to discussion, clarification etc.