A New GIFTBOX Available 09/16/2021 12:15 PM CDT
For the schedule downtime, there is a new GIFTBOX. It will be available until September 20th at 1am ET (So technically the end of the day on the 19th).

a wrapped wire-painted gift:
a vibrant colorful poster (confetti if torn)
a shimmering green orb (3 uses)
a shimmering yellow orb (1 use)
a munched-on lightly toasted bagel (magical)
a chewed-on buttered bagel (also magical)

Wyrom, PM
Re: A New GIFTBOX Available 09/20/2021 10:34 AM CDT
Is there some way we can make the giftbox notifications more noticeable? I didn't see this one despite playing the game excessively in the window in question. In general, I don't see any in-game notice for them and usually find out about them through word of mouth. If the intention is to reward people that visit the website, then mission accomplished, but if you want an in-game notice to be seen, I think it needs some tweaking.
Re: A New GIFTBOX Available 09/20/2021 05:44 PM CDT
>Is there some way we can make the giftbox notifications more noticeable? I didn't see this one despite playing the game excessively in the window in question. In general, I don't see any in-game notice for them and usually find out about them through word of mouth. If the intention is to reward people that visit the website, then mission accomplished, but if you want an in-game notice to be seen, I think it needs some tweaking.

I visit the website almost daily, but a 3 day window to get the giftbox for myself wasn't long enough. I wasn't around at all the past 3-4 days, never had an opportunity to attempt to claim it.
Re: A New GIFTBOX Available 09/20/2021 07:09 PM CDT
If you play in the Prime instance of the game, you could ESP TUNE Towncrier... Miss Newsby has a cycle of news items she goes through, and nearly-always includes things like GiftBox info in that news.

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Inquisitor of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: A New GIFTBOX Available 09/20/2021 07:13 PM CDT
>Miss Newsby has a cycle of news items she goes through, and nearly-always includes things like GiftBox info in that news.

Thank you for reminding folks! <3

There is also the daily email that includes only the new things in the newsfeed. No game login required! Link to subscribe is in my signature.

--
ESP TUNE TOWNCRIER or ;tune towncrier
Web: http://gstowncrier.com/
Daily Email: gstowncrier.com/subscribe/

gstowncrier.com/where-to-find-the-towncrier/

Send in news: https://bit.ly/2ISsz2l

P.S. Help Wanted, Inquire Within
Re: A New GIFTBOX Available 09/20/2021 08:09 PM CDT
Unfortunately, not sure what else we could do. There was an in-game announcement in every instance at the time of the GIFTBOX going live, a forum post, a front page announcement, and a Discord announcement. That's about as large as are reach is right now. And if you weren't around or impacted by the downtime, the GIFTBOX wasn't really targeted toward you.

Wyrom, PM
Re: A New GIFTBOX Available 09/22/2021 11:07 AM CDT
<Unfortunately, not sure what else we could do. There was an in-game announcement in every instance at the time of the GIFTBOX going live, a forum post, a front page announcement, and a Discord announcement. That's about as large as are reach is right now. And if you weren't around or impacted by the downtime, the GIFTBOX wasn't really targeted toward you.>

Maybe mentioning it under the NEWS verb?

I stopped relying on that when the move to the WEB happened.... but those that don't regularly visit the WEB site or forums really only have that as an official source unless they're more Discord-savvy then me. Unfortunately for them, whether things get mentioned on there is hit or miss the last 20ish years (I'm assuming it's dependent on what GM(s) are involved in a thing).

Oh yea, and just cause Krakii missed it.... should be "our reach" rather then "are reach" :)

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: A New GIFTBOX Available 09/23/2021 03:01 PM CDT
Last time I looked, NEWS IGNORE is typed by the majority of players in game shortly after logon. I'm not opposed to using NEWS, but it's incredibly cumbersome and takes quite a bit of effort to write more than a sentence or two in this system (even worse when you add paragraphs). So knowing this is rarely used by the majority of players, I'd rather retire it and stick to logon banners if I were to do anything here.

I don't see an issue with the current announcements though, as we had nearly 98% of all paid subscriptions claim the last handful of boxes lately.

Wyrom, PM
Re: A New GIFTBOX Available 09/23/2021 06:51 PM CDT
>Last time I looked, NEWS IGNORE is typed by the majority of players in game shortly after logon. I'm not opposed to using NEWS, but it's incredibly cumbersome and takes quite a bit of effort to write more than a sentence or two in this system (even worse when you add paragraphs). So knowing this is rarely used by the majority of players, I'd rather retire it and stick to logon banners if I were to do anything here.

But this is a character count, not player count. Most of the players I know appear to read the in-game news, but don't need to read it again on any character logging in beyond the first.
Re: A New GIFTBOX Available 09/23/2021 08:48 PM CDT
I'll throw some metrics on when I can to see how well this performs.

Wyrom, PM
Re: A New GIFTBOX Available 09/30/2021 10:35 AM CDT
>Unfortunately, not sure what else we could do. There was an in-game announcement in every instance at the time of the GIFTBOX going live, a forum post, a front page announcement, and a Discord announcement. That's about as large as are reach is right now. And if you weren't around or impacted by the downtime, the GIFTBOX wasn't really targeted toward you.

I think what I was getting at was monsterbolding something at login, if that's even possible.
Re: A New GIFTBOX Available 10/01/2021 12:03 AM CDT
Unfortunately, there isn't a way to do that easily. There are two types of GIFTBOX options we have now. One where we set who can get them (i.e. SimuCon gifts) and then the ones that have been going out currently. We could check to see the sort of GIFTBOX that it would be, but in order to run the check, it has to loop through a lot of data to see if you're eligible AND if you've claimed it. Doing this manually isn't a big deal, but performing this check on every single person who logs in over and over would create noticeable lag until the game grinded to a halt during peak times.

I could do something that simply checks if the verb is active, but then you'd see it even if you claimed it. I think this would cause more frustration than anything else, especially if something is active for more than a week. I'm okay with looking at solutions though. I don't think there is one for this other than perhaps using the in-game NEWS (which I've been actively monitoring since the last post I made).

Wyrom, PM