New Hardware 03/02/2021 02:43 PM CST
We're about a month or so out, but we'll be updating the hardware that the games are run on. Last time we updated them was back in 2015. I'll post more when I know more, but we'll have significant downtime when the updates are underway. We'll make sure there is plenty of notice.

Some questions came up about what are currently on the servers. Each of the IFEs (GemStone IV and DragonRealms) have their own machines. Any other Simutronics project is not shared with any of the test-based games. The IFEs are their own side of the company. While there are some shared resources, everything on GS (or DR) is dedicated to that game.

Wyrom, PM
Re: New Hardware 03/02/2021 06:25 PM CST

A month or so out?

Has Wyrom issued a Zelia's Warning?

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: New Hardware 03/02/2021 07:04 PM CST
So... this is a crazy idea, but what if you open-sourced the engine itself? You have a ton of smart people working on the GSL, but very few who can actually improve the core engine, from what I understand. Outsource that to the community. I bet we have a few smart people here who could provide some real optimizations there. And, unless I'm misunderstanding how this is setup (which is very possible), you wouldn't have to open-source the GSL itself, which seems to me is where most of the proprietary stuff really lives.

I'm sure updated hardware will help, but having worked on a lot of optimization projects myself, without real work on the engine code itself, you can only get so far (especially given the single-threadedness of it).
Re: New Hardware 03/02/2021 07:47 PM CST
While new hardware is a good and all (yay for more, better hamsters?)...

I agree with Greminty. The hardware's only going to have so much of an effect. The fact that the engine is so old, and apparently single-threaded, means it can really only handle so much, and the light-speeds of the internet that people are running at these days. It feels like trying to run Windows Vista on a brand-spankin' new computer: yer still gonna have that Vista experience, no matter how high-end your new computer is. (Or worse, Windows ME, on today's computers. ::shudder:: )

(That makes my mind wonder though... just how well would a MUD engine like GS4 run on a variety of today-level computer hardware, from RasPi4's to business laptops to high-end gaming machines. Interesting thought experiment, to say the least!)

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Inquisitor of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: New Hardware 05/07/2021 02:56 PM CDT
Couple delays, but our server migration day will be May 11th starting at 9:30am ET. We will have the games back up as soon as we can, but this can take upwards to 4 hours, so please plan your day accordingly.

Wyrom, PM
Re: New Hardware 05/08/2021 12:01 PM CDT
Thanks very much for the heads up and the start time and duration estimate. It does mean basically gaming is out for us Tuesday evening in our timezone, but the warning is all the more appreciated!
Re: New Hardware 05/11/2021 10:51 AM CDT
This was completed ahead of schedule! Have fun!

Wyrom, PM