Prev_page Previous 1
THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/26/2020 05:39 PM CDT
As we approach the end of May, this is going to wrap up our #PlayApartTogether perks.

On Friday, the 29th, we'll have a small silver auction. The auction is tentatively scheduled for 8pm ET (this may change). We are planning roughly 20 to 25 items. No further information about the items will be available until they are auctioned off. This is intended to be a higher end offering. There will be no freebies, spins, or raffles. Purely larger amounts of silvers. We'll be using the auction tent for this. It will be limited to 1 win per account. This is only happening in Prime. Platinum's version will happen in June and you'll be getting all the same items (so you'll be able to plan). Shattered will have a prize pull in June with the exact same items. Dates TBD (both Platinum and Shattered likely to be the first week in June).

Starting right at 12:01am Saturday we will be doing +50% more base exp (so over 3 times more than the +15% we did previously) and we'll be having a feeder frenzy equivalent to the the final Friday's frenzy. This will last until Sunday at 11:59pm ET.

This is going to be it for our State of Elanthia updates. I hope everyone enjoyed the last two and a half months in Elanthia! We'll still have plenty of game updates and events happening throughout the summer.

Wyrom, PM
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/26/2020 08:09 PM CDT
Some questions were asked on Discord. Just trying to improve our communication outlets and answer things here too.

>>Can you pass off silvers?

Yes, just outside the tent.

>>Do I need any items on me for things I win?

There will be no services. Everything will be a physical item. If the item you win can modify another item, it will all be contained by the winning item from the auction.

>>Are these new auction mechanics or the same from the 2016 auction?

They are the same from the 2016 auction.

>>Will there be any info on the items leading up to the auction?

No. Everything will be explained as it comes up to be bid on.

>>Will there be door prizes or cheap items?

No, to both.

>>Do loot boosts help with feeder items?

Not directly. But you may find more boxes with loot boosts, and more boxes mean more chances to find items.

Wyrom, PM
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/26/2020 09:09 PM CDT

What's a feeder frenzy?
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/27/2020 06:16 AM CDT
>What's a feeder frenzy?

Chance to find GM created unique items from creatures in boxes they drop.

Last unique GM item I personally found in a box was probably 15+ years ago. Since the introduction of random weapons/armor/shields/trinkets I feel GM box founds have fallen off the map. Then again, maybe I've just had horrific luck coming across then since my last find in the early 2000s.

I recall 2 box found items, neither were ground breaking in terms of unique properties:

One was found fron a werebear box, was some rat fur leg greaves with a long description. They started me in creating a character with rat based items.

I don't remember where I found the other item, but I really wish I still had it. A set of some coal black armor (double leather), was 4x, had a long discription along the lines of how the armor was so black it would it would draw the light into it.
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/27/2020 07:59 AM CDT
<< >>Are these new auction mechanics or the same from the 2016 auction?

<< They are the same from the 2016 auction. >>

Tip for anybody who may not remember: At the 2016 auction, the auctioneers would not send runners to the bank. The maximum amount you could Bid (there's a Bid verb) was the amount of silvers and notes in your inventory. Silvers inside containers, such as coin hands, were not considered by the Bid verb, so be sure to empty out any silver containers before entering the auction tent.

If I remember correctly, you could have multiple notes from any towns. Hopefully, a GM can clarify that.

If you have multiple bank accounts, the easy way to consolidate them is with an inter-town bank transfer. Type "Bank Account" to see if you have any inter-town bank transfer options. You probably do not. If you do not, then you can type "Boost Info" to see how many Realms Boosts you have. All you need is one. You can redeem one by typing "boost realms silver transfer." Then type "Bank Account" again to verify that you now have one inter-town bank transfer option. Finally, when you are in the town to which you want the funds transferred, you can type "Bank" to see your transfer options. You'll want Bank Transfer Consolidate. Wait until you are in the town where you want the funds. I do not know where the auction will be. In the past, they have been in the Landing.

If you do not have any Realms Boosts, you can purchase a bank account transfer from the Simucoin store.

Don't wait until the last minute.
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/27/2020 12:16 PM CDT
>>>>Will there be door prizes or cheap items?
>>
>>No, to both.

On the "cheap" items. Looking at the 2016 Auction there were a couple items that went for 6-7m, a tons that were in the 20-30m range, some 200-300m items, and everything in between. Does this mean the 25 items for auction this time are going to be in the upper range? I realize it is hard to predict what people will bid.

Just wondering if I should go with the expectation of being able to afford anything ha ha

Thanks!
Illithek
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/27/2020 12:21 PM CDT
I think most of those 7-digit 2016 items were snapped up when people saw things as, "Oh, another one of ItemX." still with plenty of items in the hopper... rather than, "Gee, there's only 30 items left, I better get mine NOW." towards the end.

With only 25 items (or so) for the entire event? I would be seriously surprised if ANY of them went for a mere 8-digit bid.
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/27/2020 01:24 PM CDT

>> I think most of those 7-digit 2016 items were snapped up when people saw things as, "Oh, another one of ItemX." still with plenty of items in the hopper... rather than, "Gee, there's only 30 items left, I better get mine NOW." towards the end.

>> With only 25 items (or so) for the entire event? I would be seriously surprised if ANY of them went for a mere 8-digit bid.

Oh yeah, that makes sense. You are probably right
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/27/2020 01:38 PM CDT

A little sad some of the stuff i spent way to many silvers trying to find at DM will be going to others. I decided that I wasn't going to pay twice. I will be there but doubt I will bid on anything.

Looking forward to the exp and the frenzy
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/27/2020 02:04 PM CDT
Will the BANK WITHDRAW command be available in the tent, or outside the tent?

The tents in 2016 were outside the city gates, but I have no idea if that is considered in town for a bank runner.

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"
Lawronius: The stuff ... the TownCrier team does is incredible.
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/27/2020 03:05 PM CDT
DM items aren't going to be at this.

Wyrom, PM
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/27/2020 03:15 PM CDT

well color me embarrased :)

I take it back then. :)
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/27/2020 10:04 PM CDT
>Last unique GM item I personally found in a box was probably 15+ years ago. Since the introduction of random weapons/armor/shields/trinkets I feel GM box founds have fallen off the map. Then again, maybe I've just had horrific luck coming across then since my last find in the early 2000s.

Something else we did 15+ years ago is post what we found, and encouraged others to do the same. I'd guess some people's interest in the event (any event, really) might be sorta lackluster if they didn't see what others were finding.
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/27/2020 11:02 PM CDT
Few questions regarding the upcoming auction...

It sounds like we have to have all silvers/notes on our person, if we win an item with for example a 50mil bid but have 100mil note, the note is broken up accordingly?

And/or if we have millions of coins is receiving the item we win an issue because of "having too much weight problems"... I've had this happen at events before we're im holding too many coins (oops)

Also it says they will be using tents? Is there a general idea where these will be..? Will there be one in Mist Harbor?
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/28/2020 03:17 PM CDT
>>Re: Auction details

Just wanted to clarify about where the auction will be and the mechanics.

The auction will be located near Hearthstone. The tent itself will open before the auction starts to give time for the game to deal with the crowd. I'll likely open the tent an hour or so before things get started.

The BID mechanics will require you have the silver on you. It uses silvers and/or notes.

When you win a bid, the silvers are automatically taken and then you must grab your item (which will be under the display table).

Going through the auction tent will spell strip you and break you our of your group. It's best not to go back and forth from the tent to help with performance hits to the game. The auction will be moving quickly, as I plan to do this with minimal staffing (me and a few people to look for bugs).

All items will have large minimum bets (nothing under 8 digits). You can only win once (per account).

Wyrom, PM
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/28/2020 03:47 PM CDT
"All items will have large minimum bets (nothing under 8 digits)." -- Wyrom

Heh. I'm just barely into the low-teens for silvers, across all of my characters.

My current plan is to sit in slack-jawed silence admiring all of the coolness being auctioned off. :)

(Unless, you know: things are sold that restricted to male, Forest Gnome, monk, "of no society", > level 40, or something similar. I figure the available audience there would be pretty small, so I might have a chance. :)
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/28/2020 03:54 PM CDT
Just in case it was missed, I quickly fixed my post to include...

"You can only win once (per account)."

Wyrom, PM
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/28/2020 06:40 PM CDT
Will you be able to leave and re-enter the tent after the auction starts?

If you can leave, will the tent be closed to new-entry during bidding?

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

A squeaky halfling nearby asks, "Why you playing with orcs heads and troll rearends?!"

Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/28/2020 06:59 PM CDT
No spoilers for what might be for sale? Or did I miss it?

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/28/2020 08:45 PM CDT
>> No further information about the items will be available until they are auctioned off.

I understand that to mean that there will be teasers or spoilers.

Player of Kyaloria
@Kyaloria#0165
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/28/2020 11:21 PM CDT
>>Will you be able to leave and re-enter the tent after the auction starts?

>>If you can leave, will the tent be closed to new-entry during bidding?

You can leave and re-enter if you need to.

Wyrom, PM
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/29/2020 12:17 AM CDT
>>Can F2P enter the auction?

This question was asked in email. F2P cannot participate in the auction.

Wyrom, PM
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/29/2020 12:27 PM CDT
A couple logistics questions:
-Will you be auctioning off one item at a time or will all be available at the same time to bid on?
-How long will items be open for bid? When should we expect the auction to end?

Thanks!
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/29/2020 01:37 PM CDT
>>-Will you be auctioning off one item at a time or will all be available at the same time to bid on?

One item at a time. If you were at EG 2006, 2009, or the auction in 2016, it will be the same set up. There is a sign in the room. I will be the auctioneer (Dett).

>>-How long will items be open for bid? When should we expect the auction to end?

I control the flow, my goal is to move quickly. Twenty five items could take over 4 hours to get through if we are patient (ten minutes an item). I'm going to try my hardest to push faster than that. We'll likely start slow and pick up the pace.

The tent also silences everything and you can't see anyone there. While I do know people just like to watch, it won't be a social experience there.

Wyrom, PM
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/29/2020 01:46 PM CDT
Thanks for clarifying Wyrom. This is helpful. I took a long break covering those previous auctions so wasn't involved in them.
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/29/2020 04:43 PM CDT
The TownCrier Team will be doing our best to give live LNet coverage of the auction items and winning bids. It's usually way too much to keep up with every itty bitty bidder increment, tho.

If you cannot be in GS, we'll be updating a Google Spreadsheet as we go, and invite everyone to watch it! We keep a running total of the silver take up at the top in the yellow cell.

https://bit.ly/2ZLrboT

That's the shortened link to the Sheet. It's ready to go when Mister Dett begins!

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"
Lawronius: The stuff ... the TownCrier team does is incredible.
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/29/2020 08:36 PM CDT
Thank you, Ms. Luxie, and the rest of the Town Crier crew, for keeping this spreadsheet up. It's always amazing to see just how much silver people have in their bank accounts, and how much they're willing to spend on things. (Looking at you, 1,050,000,000 for a T5 sigil, greater surita runestaff! Heh)

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Paragon of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/29/2020 09:12 PM CDT
T5 sigil is nothing to sneeze at. Possibly laying down one of, "You get a flare of what you just cast."? Thank you sir, may I have another. (Since I've been playing the Bard fairly heavily the last half dozen years... yeah, "now with FREE Song of Disruption, just for you" is something to aim for.)

The fact that surita gives you a larger die to roll for the random result? Icing on the cake.

That said... yeah, some of the silver numbers are just stupid. :)
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/29/2020 09:51 PM CDT
Ohmygodsohmygodsohmygodsohmygodsohmygodsohmygodsohmygods! I actually got something at the auction! Only took me 20 years, but I have arrived!

Nevermind that I had no clue what an energy staff was until after I won it.... now I gotta decide which of my pures replaces their runestaff...

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/29/2020 10:02 PM CDT
>Ohmygodsohmygodsohmygodsohmygodsohmygodsohmygodsohmygods! -Starchitin, et. al.

Was super happy to see your character's name pop up on the winner's list! :D

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Paragon of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/29/2020 10:47 PM CDT
Congrats to all the winners!

And thanks team for a wonderful auction!

Doug
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/30/2020 01:19 AM CDT
Big thanks to the GMs who approved the use of their items. This was not planned to be as big as it got. The idea to do something special the final weekend wasn't an auction initially. This all came together in about 96 hours.
I saw someone ask for credits to the auction, here those are.

Planner, organizer, and auctioneer: Wyrom (Dett)
Background Assistant: Retser
Approvals: Estild, Mikos, Sindin, Tamuz, Xayle, Vanah, Modrian, Ixix, Sleken, Haliste, and Thandiwe.
Special thanks: Oscuro, Naijin, Tivvy, and Elysani.

Wyrom, PM
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/30/2020 01:40 AM CDT
It's been a fun night, fun 2 months (considering), and I'm sure a fun weekend with the exp bonus, feeder frenzy, and WPS wagon still to go!
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/30/2020 07:02 AM CDT

Enjoyed this quite a bit. Thanks for hosting!
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/30/2020 07:21 AM CDT
It was a great time - and even more impressive given how much was thrown together at the very last minute. Thank you for doing this.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/30/2020 09:52 AM CDT
Does anyone have a copy/paste of the ScrabbleScore flare yet? (From the xazkruvrixis ore.)
(No, seriously. You can't tell me you read that and did NOT think, "650 points on a triple word score FTW!")
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/30/2020 11:14 AM CDT
Thanks so much for the auction and will have to say it went very smoothly and hope to see the use of this mechanic at later events as it seemed much easier to handle the chaos of such a large room.
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/30/2020 11:35 AM CDT
>Thanks so much for the auction and will have to say it went very smoothly and hope to see the use of this mechanic at later events as it seemed much easier to handle the chaos of such a large room.

+1 I'd love to see the auction tent mechanic utilized for alt currency auctions.

~Land Pirate Maylan~
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/30/2020 02:31 PM CDT
Sadly, it doesn't work with alt currency. Might be able to do something there, but it's a pretty big project.

Wyrom, PM
Re: THE FINAL WEEKEND 05/30/2020 06:54 PM CDT

It's amazing that you all could put this together in 4 days. Thanks to everyone who made it happen. I had a great time.
Prev_page Previous 1