Commas in Large Numbers 09/09/2020 04:07 PM CDT
Some of you have noticed that we have updated some verbs to utilize commas in large numbers. This will be an ongoing process as systems are updated on a case-by-case basis. Currently, you may notice commas in the WEALTH, BANK, SHARE, and EXCHANGE verbs, when withdrawing or depositing silvers and notes in the bank, and in some of the town shops, pawnshops, and player shops.

When withdrawing or depositing money at the bank or using the EXCHANGE or SHARE verbs, you should now be able to use commas in your syntax, but it is not required (allowing you to copy and paste the number with or without commas as necessary).

We understand that this change may interfere with player scripts or be jarring to expectations after so long without commas. While we are sorry for the inconvenience, this change will not be implemented as a flag and we cannot avoid development based on third-party scripts.

~Vanah
Re: Commas in Large Numbers 09/09/2020 05:52 PM CDT
Bid?
Fame?
<pretty much everything in> Exp?

Any chance for RIGHT-ALIGN, especially in 'bank' and 'exp'?
Re: Commas in Large Numbers 09/10/2020 02:40 AM CDT
<We understand that this change may interfere with player scripts or be jarring to expectations after so long without commas. While we are sorry for the inconvenience, this change will not be implemented as a flag and we cannot avoid development based on third-party scripts.>

So you're the one to blame for the chest pains I had after checking my bank account and seeing commas.... don't you know your player base is aging and can no longer handle excitement like that without warning!?!?!

MAYBE if we'd had the transparency we were promised we could have avoided the rash of GS players showing up in ERs across the country with various symptoms of extreme shock....

Seriously though, I'm loving this change. It's made me happy on a level that's kinda scary.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Commas in Large Numbers 09/10/2020 08:21 AM CDT
Be careful, though: if they have a productive afternoon, they may take the comma back OUT again....
Re: Commas in Large Numbers 09/10/2020 11:45 AM CDT
I remember folks asking for commas back in the day, so seeing them now is a pleasant surprise. It actually took me a moment to figure out why this change made me so low key happy. Thanks!
Re: Commas in Large Numbers 09/10/2020 12:42 PM CDT
::points up at Starchitin's post::

What the OG said!!

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Paragon of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: Commas in Large Numbers 09/13/2020 09:29 AM CDT
OOC: Personally, I like seeing commas when glancing at values but, I'm not so sure this was well thought out. Doesn't this change all the integer variables in scripts to strings? I imagine that a bunch of things aren't working any longer. I also see it's not consistently applied. The gemshop for example has no commas while other shops do.

--The programmer inside Regwen

A silver glow surrounds Regwen briefly.

Lheren says, "The Lord of Night has heard you, it seems."
Re: Commas in Large Numbers 09/13/2020 09:46 AM CDT
I'm not sure about the scripts breaking part, but that doesn't affect me. I do agree with the consistency point, and that does affect me.

Doug
Re: Commas in Large Numbers 09/13/2020 02:00 PM CDT
I love this change.
Re: Commas in Large Numbers 09/13/2020 08:38 PM CDT
<<The gemshop for example has no commas while other shops do.>>

Systems have to be updated to use commas. It will take awhile.

SGM Sleken
Re: Commas in Large Numbers 09/18/2020 02:29 PM CDT
The EXPERIENCE verb has been updated to output commas and to include some Ascension and Total Experience numbers. Mana has been removed.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Commas in Large Numbers 09/18/2020 03:11 PM CDT
Right align, right align, right align.
(Pretty sure I mentioned this when the Commas were first announced.)

Also, consider putting a 'fluff' line first, because that pesky ">" command prompt always pushes the top line one (or more; I do not use the command line statuses) character to right even if things were right-aligned.

(I will cheerfully accept something re-done in the format of CMan List, or Asc List, for example....
Re: Commas in Large Numbers 09/18/2020 09:22 PM CDT

Thanks for adding the total EXP line!!

Did you mean to take out the converted TP line?

Olgre's pea brain
Re: Commas in Large Numbers 09/19/2020 01:18 AM CDT
Thank you for the continued work on this. It's a shock to the system.... but a very good one.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Commas in Large Numbers 09/19/2020 04:19 PM CDT
The FAME verb has been updated to use commas. Also, FAME (by itself) will now let you view your fame even if you have your fame flag (which makes your fame visible to others) turned off.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: Commas in Large Numbers 09/19/2020 05:39 PM CDT
OLGRETIEN
Did you mean to take out the converted TP line?

Yes, that was also moved to clean up the output. It's still available in the SKILL verb output though.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Commas in Large Numbers 05/13/2021 04:02 PM CDT
I don't recall bugging it in-game, but for reference: the Landing gemshop still has no commas.