Disarm Overpowered 07/23/2021 07:39 AM CDT
I play this game to get away from the real world for a while? When I have to deal with something that makes work for me, a labor that is just sort of slaggy and boring then it real detracts from the experience. Disarm is a joke at this point. Just now I have two characters in the lands and both are missing items, one just died again from the same Disarm stupidity and the other is going to have to go through as many as 30 odd rooms to discover exactly where his runestaff is missing. Is this supposed to be a manuever skill or is it some buzzkill for the enjoyment of this game? Why would anyone want to run around looking for a lost item? How exactly is this doing anything for combat? It's silly. Disarm itself is not bad, it can be used but this makes it an almighty power.

There's no clue if it's in the room with you even after a few searches, generally.

You have to survive in swarms of hostile critters on your knees defenseless for 10 seconds repeatedly-- somehow this makes sense? Let's take a spell and say that it puts critters on the ground defenseless for 10 sec rt's repeatedly while they have no weapon in hand. Is it overpowered? I mean come on.

I don't want to be frustrated and have to waste time in this game. It's often a struggle on the line if this game is worth it and when it becomes a freakin drag just to play, then it does push you over that line.

Dragons r Real
Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/23/2021 08:38 AM CDT
Sounds like you lost it in minos where the area's a maze and there's no way of knowing what room you're in.... I'd just pay the adventurer's guild to find it for me if that's the case. Otherwise, get an empath or cleric to cast 213 for you while you search. Having a secondary weapon you can pull out in case yer disarmed is also a good idea.

I'll take the disarm mechanics as they are today over what they used to be in a heartbeat, was far too easy to lose yer items forever back then.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/23/2021 09:36 AM CDT
"a secondary weapon you can pull out" -- Starchitin

I simply do not understand people who walk around with Just One Weapon. (Or even a couple; because there's always "that guy's buddy who can Disarm you, too.") About the only ones that I have who do that are the UAC guys, and theirs are worn.
Had I a need to guess, I would estimate that every single one of me routinely carries 3-5 weapons.
Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/23/2021 09:39 AM CDT
<Had I a need to guess, I would estimate that every single one of me routinely carries 3-5 weapons.>

Which would explain the never-ending list of things to be ensorcelled..... ::flees::

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/23/2021 10:11 AM CDT
It does seem like with the change to disarm to make it item-loss friendly, disarm actually got a lot more frustrating for anyone who doesn't worry as much about losing the item, as just getting back to hunting. Having to kneel down and search for 30-60 seconds is rough and annoying.

I think there should be a timer, where if you RECOVER ITEM within the first minute or two, you can quickly grab it back without needing to kneel or search multiple times. It's a little too annoying in its current iteration.
Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/23/2021 05:09 PM CDT
>>It does seem like with the change to disarm to make it item-loss friendly, disarm actually got a lot more frustrating for anyone who doesn't worry as much about losing the item, as just getting back to hunting. Having to kneel down and search for 30-60 seconds is rough and annoying.

So far I've personally never have had to search for more than 10 seconds or so. I'm very curious to hear the circumstances where it requires 30-60 seconds beyond being a special area where there are mazes. Then it's best to just be prepared if you are having any doubts.

~Aulis
Platinum Co-Guru
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/23/2021 06:01 PM CDT

Clunk is carrying six at the moment, but that's only becasue he just sold the one's he forged recently.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/23/2021 09:41 PM CDT
Aulis, I think what they mean is they have to search 3-4 times at 10 seconds each. Not one search for 10+.
Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/23/2021 10:03 PM CDT
I usually find my weapon in 1-2 searches. But I do find the new version of disarm to be more deadly in general because I have to kneel weaponless in the hunting grounds (and something always seems to show up) vs just picking the weapon back up.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/24/2021 07:23 AM CDT
Yeah, maybe my perception sucks, but my sorcerer almost always has to search at least 3 times, sometimes more than 6 times, at 10s each.
Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/24/2021 07:39 AM CDT
<Yeah, maybe my perception sucks, but my sorcerer almost always has to search at least 3 times, sometimes more than 6 times, at 10s each.>

If yer not 1x in Perception, def get that ASAP. Besides helping find disarmed weapons it it contributes to SMR, which should help prevent being disarmed.

Also, have you tried casting 402 before searching for the weapon? My sorcerer hasn't hunted anything that disarms since the new disarm mechanics went into effect to be able to try it, but it should help

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/24/2021 09:01 AM CDT
<<Aulis, I think what they mean is they have to search 3-4 times at 10 seconds each. Not one search for 10+.

And that's what I meant, too. I've RARELY had to search more than one time at 10 seconds for that one search.

~Aulis
Platinum Co-Guru
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/24/2021 09:08 AM CDT
>> And that's what I meant, too. I've RARELY had to search more than one time at 10 seconds for that one search.

I am guessing that is because you have trained in Perception on your character(s). Searching 5+ times to recover a disarmed weapon is the norm for a few of my wife's characters who do not have any perception training. So it is fairly punishing for those characters at the extreme end of the spectrum.

Working as intended? I have no idea.

Now. If you are claiming that this is your experience with zero (or near zero) perception training then I would be interested in digging into this further to determine why your experience is so different than what my wife's characters are experiencing.

-- Robert

>> A mongrel kobold points at you and yells, "Mine! Chasin!"
Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/24/2021 09:38 AM CDT
Thinking about this in terms of a potential solution (on the assumption having to search for your weapon for 50+ seconds is not really intended.)

I believe the intent of the current disarm mechanic was to effectively take away the weapon for a period of time (because you were... disarmed) and to put the character at some risk if they want to recover it during the combat / force some effort to retrieve it above and beyond 'GET WEAPON'.

The current mechanic effectively makes the weapon unusable for the remainder of the combat for most characters (opinion mine) which may have been a design intent or an unintended consequence. Personally, I think it makes combat more interesting in this scenario if the character is able to recover their weapon during the combat with some risk while doing so (thinking back to all those movie scenes where the hero is disarmed but is able to make the cool manuever and recover their weapon and eventually win the day).

Perhaps changing the current mechanic such that you will always find the weapon on your first attempt but the time spent could vary between a few seconds (well-trained, good RNG roll) up to 20 seconds (no training and bad RNG roll) might be a good middle ground. With this mechanic, a well trained character may risk the time to recover their weapon during combat vs. pulling out a spare and we aren't overly penalizing the poorly trained character too harshly for recovering their weapon once the combat it already over.

Thinking about this a bit further, one of the modifiers to weapon recovery time probably should be if the character is still in combat or not.

One last thought I had after typing the above: Maybe recovering your weapon during combat isn't automatic but definitely has a shorter duration with training so that it does add to the combat excitement but recovery when there is no combat taking place would then be automatic with a longer Round Time (watching my wife search for her weapon 5+ times outside of combat doesn't add much to either of our gameplay experience.)

Just my two silvers worth.

-- Robert

Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/24/2021 09:54 AM CDT
<<I am guessing that is because you have trained in Perception on your character(s). Searching 5+ times to recover a disarmed weapon is the norm for a few of my wife's characters who do not have any perception training. So it is fairly punishing for those characters at the extreme end of the spectrum.

Typically 1x perception is recommended for all characters across all classes, from what I understand. I would think that would at least be the very baseline, but then again, I'm also not a DEV GM. But I feel you're kinda shooting yourself in the foot by not training in it.

~Aulis
Platinum Co-Guru
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/24/2021 10:29 AM CDT
<Typically 1x perception is recommended for all characters across all classes, from what I understand. I would think that would at least be the very baseline, but then again, I'm also not a DEV GM. But I feel you're kinda shooting yourself in the foot by not training in it.>

+100 to this. Perception costs so little and pops up in so many systems I consider a minimum of 1x in it to be mandatory for every profession regardless of build. Trying to play without it just makes too many things unnecessarily frustrating.

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/24/2021 12:26 PM CDT
Ok, I missed something in the dialog. I know it's been mentioned, but I didn't see a rebuttal | justification | response.

Carry a spare. Spare, what, you might ask? Easy, a non-magical (or wizard edged) item of like skill type. So if you swing a claim, grab yourself a near-free two-hander. And so on. . .

I'm of the opinion that a player should always fight to keep the character alive. That's often counter to opinion the player should always strive for expedience / convenience. What does that look like here?

Grab your 'running spare' weapon, and get out of dodge. Respell, get some help, and head back in to recover. Or, if you are hunting in a very lightly hunted area, wait 30 minutes (log out, read the GSWiki, take a break) and then come back, and with your running spare in hand, go directly back to the spot of the lost weapon. Don't hunt along the way.

Or ultimately, get the AdvGuild recovery to work for you if the area's just too hard.

Choices, choices - matching those choices not to train in skills that help offset some of this pain. Coddling because the choice was made not to train in skills that help offset some of this pain? Not a fan.

Doug
Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/27/2021 03:45 PM CDT
>> Coddling because the choice was made not to train in skills that help offset some of this pain? Not a fan.

1) I don't have a lot invested in this discussion overall other than I do think the no training scenario is a little over the top. Most of my characters train at least 1x in perception or more and the one that doesn't does so for RP reasons.

2) Where do you think the reasonable weapon recovery time frame falls for someone that has no training in perception Doug? 10 seconds? 60 seconds? No chance at all? Is 'still in combat' a factor in what you would deem as reasonable? I don't feel my suggestions rose to the level of 'coddling' but am curious as to where you are coming from with your assessment. Or maybe it was a more general statement and not directed at my suggestions at all?

Not a fan of coddling myself. Also not a fan of mechanics that seems overly clunky either. Having to search out of combat 5+ times simply to pick up a weapon laying on the ground feels like a somewhat broken implementation. I get the idea and intent, just not a fan of the way it plays out on the extreme end.

I do agree that training 1x is a cheap and easy solution to the issue in general even if I do feel there are some opportunities to improve on the current implementation.

-- Robert

Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/27/2021 04:12 PM CDT
>>Or maybe it was a more general statement and not directed at my suggestions at all?

Far more this, but directionally where your suggestions intersect with the statement, Robert, I would stand by it.

>>I do think the no training scenario is a little over the top.

I think it's unlikely, but may happen. Irrespective, choosing not to train 1x (since it is known) is choosing not to train in skills that can help offset. My comment is not intended to be 'zero training', but 'inadequate training by choice'.

>>Where do you think the reasonable weapon recovery time frame falls for someone that has no training in perception Doug? 10 seconds? 60 seconds? No chance at all? Is 'still in combat' a factor in what you would deem as reasonable? I don't feel my suggestions rose to the level of 'coddling' but am curious as to where you are coming from with your assessment. Or maybe it was a more general statement and not directed at my suggestions at all?

You're asking me, the (remaining?) original droppage, get an army and recover your stuff king, what would be reasonable here? :)

In truth, there are only two 'in-combat' responses that are appropriate in my view. I think I shared them, but I'll restate - grab a spare and drive on, or run away and get a spare or help. It is known that the weapon cannot be lost, so I would expect a character portrayal that would immediately stop and recover in the midst of combat to be an extreme exception, based on RP (perhaps the wielder of Sorrow, for example). Otherwise, I would think a character's sense of survival would rule. Part of what we're discussing here does not tend that way, though.

'After combat', I have far less concern. I'm not insensitive to the 'takes 5 times plus to search' issue that random numbers can generate (sorry, had to be done).

Were it me, though - I would also point out the game has mechanisms for 'safe recovery'. It costs other resources. Perhaps that can be extended. . . a special one to five use lantern from the Advguild that highlights recoverable items limiting the attempt for anyone to 'one search', as an example.

But no - just because it's inconvenient? Not the 'rush' of dashing to the next foe? That's (I would sincerely hope) by design. Slow down, smell the roses, and come equipped for disaster. Lantern, two running spares, good training, friends to help guard (which I think you probably have covered) - all viable in my view.

Doug
Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/27/2021 04:41 PM CDT
>> You're asking me, the (remaining?) original droppage, get an army and recover your stuff king, what would be reasonable here? :)

Heh. I actually miss those days. Those were some fun times. The current janitor would have to be lined up and executed by an archer firing squad before I would want to revisit them though.

-- Robert

Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/27/2021 09:52 PM CDT
I agree searching multiple times seems onerous, but then again there are many things in the game that were designed this way. As a suggestion, perhaps two kinds of searches:
- a quick search that may or may not turn up the item - as it is now, maybe slightly less chance and less RT
- a thorough search that is guaranteed to find the item, but 20-30 sec RT

The latter would be very dangerous in an active hunting ground but with guaranteed success, and useful when you have help. Implementing a "thorough search" might also be used in other ways in the game.

Or, let the player specify how long they are willing to search for, and use this as a ratio against the maximum to determine the chance. For example, maybe the hunting ground is relatively safe and I can spend 15 sec searching. I search for 15 sec at around 50% chance, roll a decent number, and find it in 10. Or I roll badly and search for all 15 and don't find it. Or, maybe it is dangerous and I just want to try for 3 sec, knowing that my chances are 10% or less in this case. This would offer a lot of flexibility but it would likely need a dedicated verb for it. Either way, it could still be used to augment the basic search mechanics.
Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/28/2021 06:11 AM CDT
FWIW, my sorcerer that regularly needs 30-60s to find a disarmed weapon, is level 40's with .5x perception. It's really not a big problem for me. But there's just a bit of a disconnect in how punishing this one maneuver is vs most other maneuvers (and in some sense also vs how it was before, though potential item loss made it punishing in a different way).
Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/28/2021 07:17 AM CDT
<But there's just a bit of a disconnect in how punishing this one maneuver is vs most other maneuvers>

I'm having to struggle to see this... moor hounds, tree vipers, eagles, brown spinners, and chimera all have maneuvers I'd call more punishing and most are below the level range you're talking about. I'll take 30 sec of searching or paying the adv guild over 10+ minutes of sitting in the commons waiting for my stats to return to normal while I spell up any day.

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/28/2021 11:22 AM CDT
I agree that I don't get this whole disarm is more punishing than other maneuvers thing. It doesn't kill you instantly like many other maneuvers. Of course I concede it can lead to death depending on conditions in your hunting ground, but surviving being disarmed is very possible.

If the beef is the it takes too long and it's too dangerous to recover your weapon aspect, there are multiple ways to mitigate that. Use e-bladed plain weapons in disarm areas that you don't care about recovering. Or pay the AG to recover it for you. I don't think the silver cost is prohibitive from what I've heard, but I could be wrong on that.

There is also the good old classic of stay out of areas that contain maneuvers which have potential consequences you deem punishing or overpowered. This isn't isolated to disarm. I always find it funny when people say something along the lines of "I've died 8 hunts in a row in that hunting area." I always wonder why they went back after the second or third death. I guess we're all stubborn in our own ways. I mean, we are playing a decades old text-based game, so there's that.
Re: Disarm Overpowered 07/28/2021 11:47 AM CDT
I train 1x in perception, 1x in survival, and 1x in first aid and I have experienced having to search six or seven times for a disarmed weapon. In my case this can be pretty bad since I use two handed weapons which means no shields and carrying two such weapons is quite the encumbrance ding for an elf. Not sure why a weapon would simply disappear in the first place. Just my observations on the matter. Ultimately I suppose that the GMs have considered many factors and determined this is the best balance for everyone.