Shop's 06/08/2021 03:37 PM CDT
I should not have to get ripped off by waiting for someone to sell a shop in the secondary market, When I pay good money to Simutronics. This as been costing me silver and good game time already by not being able to get a deed to by a shop and making this game and even crapper experience. It would be nice if they could take a little time away from playing to there favorites to fix this. Thank you.
Re: Shop's 06/08/2021 06:16 PM CDT
After reading that paragraph it is not clear at all what exactly you want them, assuming staff, to fix. It really helps to articulate your complaints in a coherent fashion.

Are you asking for staff to release more playershops in order for you to purchase one?

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

A squeaky halfling nearby asks, "Why you playing with orcs heads and troll rearends?!"

Re: Shop's 06/08/2021 09:24 PM CDT
>Are you asking for staff to release more playershops in order for you to purchase one?

I've heard a few folks wanting the system to work correctly - not here on the officials do they say anything very often, but it does come up now and again.

Sounds like folks want an opportunity to be able to purchase a deed for an abandoned store locations so they can setup their own shop. It was a while back when any mention of shop work was being done. I understand it's been a personal side project for Retser and he did a helluva job getting shops to be more functional than they were in the past, but he wanted to work on the deed aspect of the shop abandonment part still....unfortunately we don't know where he stands on it or if this is still even one of his side projects.

I haven't seen any posts from him lately, so I'm not sure how busy he is with everything else.

I've also seen folks asking if anymore shop raffles will be held, but I don't think that question has been met with a response either. A while back I recall that it was hinted at by Retser that he was juggling the idea of doing another one or two raffles, but things change as time goes on and it appears to be something that he wasn't able to get around to.
Re: Shop's 06/08/2021 09:56 PM CDT
While I love my shop, I think from the beginning they should have done a game-wide system like most MMORPGs have that's open to everyone for selling items to other players. Assuming it was done right, I'd still like to see them do what's needed to make that happen.... even if it meant current playershops went away.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Shop's 06/09/2021 01:40 AM CDT
Rooms in GemStone are a finite resource. That's the reason why Premium homes are different than the rest of the game. There was concern about the number of rooms that could get added to the game. Premium homes build a room each time you use it and then delete when you leave it. They're actually items that are stored on you.

Player shops were designed like real rooms, because there were inventories that would cause issues if we created it and deleted it every time it was loaded. That's why there is a limit in place. And resizing shops are not something the system can really understand well automatically because the system isn't deleting anything. This is why you can't get a Premium shop when you're Basic. Even things like OSA and Duskruin's Heist aren't creating rooms. We're reusing rooms often. The game can only have so many rooms loaded at a time. Things are constantly loaded and unloaded. It's a lot larger these days than when everything was originally coded, but there still is a limit.

The reason shops went on hiatus so long is the system that checked rent choked when it needed to evict someone. This was largely due to using a shop like a locker and stacking items. The game had too many items to process and it exploded, deleting inventory and corrupting the area. Retser fixed a lot of it, but the automated process that does eviction is still a worrisome area. We're manually doing this right now, area by area.

Shops will likely remain a rarer commodity, but we do want to make sure things can run on a more automated level one day. Increasing areas may be possible, but we'll never be able to match shops to active subscribers.

Wyrom, PM