BOOST EXCHANGE 04/20/2021 02:51 AM CDT
This is already a thing with BOOST GUILD BOUNTY, where we can exchange a guild boost for a bounty boost.

Can we find some method to exchange the things we don't use for things that we actually will use?

BOOST GUILD BOUNTY is currently a 1:1 ratio for switching that to a BOOST BOUNTY.

Maybe, at some point, ya'll could figure out a decent ratio for exchanging other boosts that we're not using (I have 383 of a certain boost that I won't use, for example) for another option?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers.
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/20/2021 03:39 AM CDT
I like this idea

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/20/2021 04:18 AM CDT
>>I like this idea

I don't actually care what the ratios end up being, so long as we have the opportunity to make things what we want. Problem is... there's a bunch of BOOST options, so it might take a while to figure out how to properly EXCHANGE them.

I can wait, though. :)

Cheers. :)
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/20/2021 07:58 AM CDT
Base it on # of days to achieve. If you want to give up fifteen day-2 rewards (15 x 2) magic crystals, you can get a day-30 6x experience doubler.
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/20/2021 09:35 AM CDT
Linear to trade down might work, but not to trade up, they are supposed to get more valuable at longer streak lengths. Day 30 gets you 15*Day 2, but it might take 225*Day 2 to get a Day 30.

Not going to happen however, they are explicitly designed in excess because most of them are expected to just pile up. Different people pile up different ones though. Some people would like to lay their hands on more Eonak Gifts, mine just pile up because the only one I have any use for is gated at 2 uses maximum per year. Not a lot of point in trading for Eonaks if making them tradeable just means they get gated at 1 per month because thats the intended maximum use for them.

Maybe drop any of them back a day. BOOST REDUCE xx, turns a day xx reward into a day xx-1 reward. The later days are supposed to be more valuable so its trading something which is more valuable in general for something less valuable that you happen to have a use for.
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/20/2021 09:56 AM CDT
I agree that mine was very unlikely. :)

Yours has a lot of promise; I like it!
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/20/2021 10:26 AM CDT
Opposed.

Does nothing but further the concept that everything has to be useful to everyone all the time.

Doug
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/20/2021 11:44 AM CDT
I think it is reasonable to ask for an opportunity to exchange boosts you can't/won't/don't use. But you should also be prepared for very limited exchanges that involve trading items of equal value/power. So no amount of fame or bound crystals are going to get you double experience boosts. And also an exchange rate that is very player unfriendly.
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/20/2021 11:53 AM CDT
Exactly. I have zip use--on thirty different characters--for any of the Task rewards, and there are a ton of them strewn liberally through the month's progress.
I've used one Lumnis, that one time. Actually, I think two (one on each account), because I had someone who was actively hunting on both.
I find enough boxes--including other peoples', because apparently treasure is worthless?--that I don't even remember the Loot boosts until I see them in the list.

I would even be in favor of something like:
- None of the 21-30 days' rewards can possibly be gained (top tier).
- You can go from the top tier to middle (11-20) at 2:1.
- Or top to lowest (1-10) at 1:1.
- And also middle (11-20) to bottom (1-10) at 2:1.

Or something similar on breaks of 5, with 26-30 being impossible to gain (but certainly can give up, to buy down).
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/20/2021 12:22 PM CDT
To keep the mechanics simple: cash in (a bunch of boosts, horrible exchange rate tbd) and get a second copy of today's boost.
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/20/2021 12:24 PM CDT
>>you can't/won't/don't use

My position would change if there were truly a Login Reward that 'cannot be used' by a character, for that Login Reward specifically. I can see none that would qualify. But I am interested to learn more. What Login Reward simply cannot be used by a character?

Doug
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/20/2021 12:32 PM CDT
>Does nothing but further the concept that everything has to be useful to everyone all the time.

Streak based rewards do have to be useful to everyone all the time towards the end of the streak, or they become penalties for not breaking the streak.

40-50 days a year, my "reward" for logging in is actually a penalty for not breaking the streak.
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/20/2021 12:50 PM CDT
I have given serious thought to stopping after 20 days (just to get the [total of] 4 instant-absorbs [1 @10, 3 @20]), but it takes 23 days to do that with Bridges set to min/max 1:
20 in for the reward,
21 not,
22 not [would trigger a Bridge],
23 can finally log back in again (and get the free LTE).

But at 23 days, screw it: it's just another week, and I can get the Item Superchargers and such, as well.

Now, if it were possible to use a Bridge voluntarily, to FORCE a re-start...
20 in for the reward,
burn a Bridge ON THAT DAY to reset to "0",
login on 21 at "day 1/500 fame".
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/20/2021 12:55 PM CDT
>>Streak based rewards do have to be useful to everyone all the time towards the end of the streak, or they become penalties for not breaking the streak.

You see something I don't see, Rath. I'd like to hear more. But frankly, taking this example without defining 'towards the end' to some number of days, and without walking each item in particular, I'll just ask:

If you do 18 (or some other arbitrary number of) days of login, and there is NOTHING of value to you personally in the remaining 12 (or balance of) days, why would you not pause 1 day (no reward) and restart the cycle to more rapidly get to those rewards you do value?

That question is asked based on the belief I understand what you're suggesting - so feel free to correct if in error.

If the response will be 'but there is ONE that I do value', I think my point remains.

Doug
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/20/2021 01:08 PM CDT
Wait ... which boost can you only use once a month? Or did I misunderstand something?

--
ESP TUNE TOWNCRIER or ;tune towncrier
Web: http://gstowncrier.com/
Daily Email: gstowncrier.com/subscribe/

gstowncrier.com/where-to-find-the-towncrier/

Send in news: https://bit.ly/2ISsz2l

P.S. Help Wanted, Inquire Within
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/20/2021 01:10 PM CDT
>>Now, if it were possible to use a Bridge voluntarily, to FORCE a re-start...

Something I'm not opposed to, but not sure why it would even be necessary to burn a Bridge.

Simply include the command to BOOST RESET which when issued will automatically set you back to Day 1.

I'm not sure why this would be desirable given the power of some of those later items (even if infrequently to almost never used), but hey. . .

Doug
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/20/2021 01:20 PM CDT
> My position would change if there were truly a Login Reward that 'cannot be used' by a character, for that Login Reward specifically. I can see none that would qualify. But I am interested to learn more. What Login Reward simply cannot be used by a character?

Any reward can be activated in-game by any character obviously. But why would anyone "use" a runners boost that doesn't need any of the commands that boost activates? So "can't" was probably a bad word choice. It doesn't change the idea that some rewards are functionally useless to some characters and/or the players behind them.

I'm not advocating for or against this. I just don't think it's unreasonable to make the request. And if done right, also reasonable and not gamebreaking. That is to say, I'll give you 10 BOOST GUIDES for 1 BOOST EXPERIENCE probably shouldn't happen. But maybe 10 BOOST GUIDES for 1 BOOST LOOT MAJOR is OK. Again, with exact "exchange rates" TBD.
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/20/2021 01:32 PM CDT
>>I just don't think it's unreasonable to make the request.

Got it. I don't think it's unreasonable to make the request, either. Nor do I think it's unreasonable to state opposition.

In the end, I'm confident the GMs will take all this, weigh it however they weigh things as a team, and make a decision. Request, downsides, limitations, opposition, all of it should factor in.

Thanks for the clarification on 'cannot', too!

Doug
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/20/2021 01:53 PM CDT
> Got it. I don't think it's unreasonable to make the request, either. Nor do I think it's unreasonable to state opposition.

Agreed. I totally appreciate why you and others might be opposed. Although my memory ain't what it used to be, I think it was explicitly stated when these came out in 2015 that it really wasn't designed for every boost to be useful to every character in every situation.

Fast forward to now, where people have hundreds or even thousands of unused boosts that have zero chance of ever being used. I'm OK with an exchange program if it happens as long as it is implemented properly. And if it's not, I can continue to ignore the boosts building up that I never touch!
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/21/2021 09:51 AM CDT
>If the response will be 'but there is ONE that I do value', I think my point remains.

Because 3*2 beats 2*2.2

Suppose the first 19 are worth 2 cheezy wotsits to you, the next 10 are worth zero, and the 30th is worth 0.2.

You can play every day for 60 days and get 4.4 cheezy wotsits, or stay out of the game on days 20, 40 and 60 for a total of 6 cheezy wotsits.

If there's one at the end that you value a lot, then it'll keep you going to get it, but if all the ones you value a lot happen on days 11-19, then they are giving you an incentive to stay out of the game on day 20 in order to get an extra set of them every 2 months. If Eonak is worth 10 cheezy wotsits to you, then you'll always have an incentive to complete the streak, but the last 10 is full of stuff that I find it nice to have one or two per year of, but that's it. The rewards that I use up rather than pile up are concentrated in the middle of the series.
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/21/2021 09:58 AM CDT
>Now, if it were possible to use a Bridge voluntarily, to FORCE a re-start...
20 in for the reward,
burn a Bridge ON THAT DAY to reset to "0",
login on 21 at "day 1/500 fame".

I would do this too. I consider it worth doing 1 or 2 complete streaks a year, but I've probably banked enough to last me out already.

Also I think its daft that you have to specify bridge use in advance. Its another way penalties are added into what it supposed to be a reward system.
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/21/2021 12:39 PM CDT
I agree that the design of the login bridge is. . . cumbersome.

Let's wrap a few of these thoughts together.

BOOST RESET - start at day one, no other requirements

BOOST BRIDGE [4]
- without optional parameter - break in streak, burn bridges backwards as required to bring current
- with optional parameter [day to start sequence] - burn 1 bridge and reset to desired day in sequence*

BOOST MIN / MAX - retire, no longer needed

* You cannot accelerate (move from day 15 to day 30) with this method. You can only affect a reset to a specific earlier reward day in the sequence.

Doug
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/21/2021 01:03 PM CDT
" - with optional parameter [day to start sequence] - burn 1 bridge and reset to desired day in sequence*
* You cannot accelerate (move from day 15 to day 30) with this method. You can only affect a reset to a specific earlier reward day in the sequence." -- Doug

I do not think this should be done, and if it was implied from what I said previously I apologize.

Someone who does not care about the day30/6x doublers could run up to day 29, burn a single bridge and drop back to 19, then collect days 20-through-29, where the really juicy benefits are, again.
(And day24 would replace that Bridge...)

Just leave it as 'reset to day 1', for someone who wants to end their cycle sooner.
Re: BOOST EXCHANGE 04/21/2021 03:37 PM CDT
>Does nothing but further the concept that everything has to be useful to everyone all the time.

Agreed.

- Andreas