Pawnshop: Valuing High End Items Too Low 03/07/2021 06:54 AM CST
Last night, I accidentally grabbed the wrong weapon at the pawnshop and ended up selling my 6x perfect katar with flares and 5 points of CER to the pawnshop on FWI. Sadly, it was worth just over 1,700 silvers.

I usually do mark my weapons so I won't do this but must have missed this one.

Shouldn't this weapon have been valued at a lot more than 1,700 silver and triggered the "Are you sure" message? (As that would have saved it.)

I wasn't sure how to bug something that I no longer have so I'm posting this here.

Thanks!
Re: Pawnshop: Valuing High End Items Too Low 03/07/2021 07:26 AM CST
Did you check the backroom or put in an assist to try to get it back?

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Pawnshop: Valuing High End Items Too Low 03/07/2021 07:45 AM CST

Thanks, I checked the backrooms in several towns but it wasn't there. I don't like to assist, but it seemed bug worthy for a weapon like this to sell at 1700 silver, so I am posting here to alert game staff of the issue. If assisting would help track down the larger issue, staff can let me know and I will do that.
Re: Pawnshop: Valuing High End Items Too Low 03/07/2021 08:04 AM CST
Well, you know, prices on things have gone down drastically after DR...

On a serious note, yes, that is assist worthy.
Re: Pawnshop: Valuing High End Items Too Low 03/07/2021 09:05 AM CST

For some reason, forged weapons don't make it to the pawnshop backrooms.

After years of forging

The value of a forged weapon is dependent upon how much of was the metal used, the strength and the durability, but not the quality Elegant, well-made, or perfect, or anything else.

While I've been 'ok' with them not going to backrooms (who is going to sell a perfect weapon?), perfect blades should - in my dwarvenly humble opinion - be an exception.

A Quality of Game Life improvement might be to allow 'perfect' forged weapons to go to the backroom, and to be valued consistently with similarly enchanted and weighted weapons. That way the penalty one pays for pawning perfect, is the coin value Kilron or other pawnshops assign to it.

Does anyone recall off-hand what folder suggestions should go into?

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Pawnshop: Valuing High End Items Too Low 03/07/2021 09:44 AM CST
<The value of a forged weapon is dependent upon how much of was the metal used, the strength and the durability, but not the quality Elegant, well-made, or perfect, or anything else.>

I'm pretty sure it's the type of weapon that matters, not how much metal was used to make it. For example, forged short swords sell to the pawn for much less then forged spikestars despite them both using the same amount of metal... and spikestars and morning stars sell for the same even though morning stars use more metal.

It does annoy me that insignificant stats like strength and durability vary so much from piece to piece. Not cause it affects the value at the pawn but because it means that, all else being equal, superior weapons won't stack in my shop. I wish they'd make those values standard for each quality of weapon like everything else in a weapon forged by a Master Blacksmith...

<A Quality of Game Life improvement might be to allow 'perfect' forged weapons to go to the backroom, and to be valued consistently with similarly enchanted and weighted weapons. That way the penalty one pays for pawning perfect, is the coin value Kilron or other pawnshops assign to it.>

+1

I haven't lost any perfects I've made to this cause I'm paranoid enough to locker perfects before hitting the pawn after a combining session, but it would be tragic for someone to accidentally grab their perfect weapon and sell it rather then that drake weapon they meant to sell.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Pawnshop: Valuing High End Items Too Low 03/07/2021 10:54 AM CST
<who is going to sell a perfect weapon?>

I'll take "Things Only Idiots Do" for 1700 silver, Alex!

I think any perfect forged weapon should simply have 50k added on automatically to its value or that pawnshops should question all perfect weapons.

Also, shouldn't player-purchased WPS increase the value? This katar was weighted slowly over time but still probably had at least 6k of BS put into it. As evidenced by DR drops, temp weighting sure does add to assessed value.

In the meantime, if you're reading this and have perfect weapons, go MARK them.
Re: Pawnshop: Valuing High End Items Too Low 03/07/2021 11:31 AM CST
<Also, shouldn't player-purchased WPS increase the value? This katar was weighted slowly over time but still probably had at least 6k of BS put into it. As evidenced by DR drops, temp weighting sure does add to assessed value.>

Pawn shop values get really wonky with once you start adding properties to weapons, I'm not sure if it's just with forged weapons or weapons in general. The first dagger below is a perfect I made that's been enchanted up to 7x and had snake flares added to it along with 1-2 CER above that provided by razern (would have appraised at 2-3k fresh from the forge, if I remember correctly). The second dagger was purchased OTS from some event and brought up to 7x with no other properties. Both appraised by the same character:

>glanc
You glance down to see a perfect razern dagger with a silver-fanged eel wrapped around it in your right hand and nothing in your left hand.
app dagger
You ask the pawnbroker to appraise a perfect razern dagger with a silver-fanged eel wrapped around it.
The pawnbroker turns the dagger over in his hands a few times.
Relnyard says, "Hmm, a fine weapon of note. I s'pose I could go 10,317 silvers for this."

>glanc
You glance down to see a mithril bracelet dagger in your right hand and nothing in your left hand.
>app dag
You ask the pawnbroker to appraise a mithril bracelet dagger.
The pawnbroker turns the dagger over in his hands a few times.
Relnyard says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I s'pose I could go 16,379 silvers for this."

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Pawnshop: Valuing High End Items Too Low 03/07/2021 11:59 PM CST

I also highly agree with this. The second year of that which shall not be named at eg, I got my one t5 from the dive and ended up selling it and didn't notice it for days.