Here is a recap of what has happened in the last three chapters involving the storyline, Cross into Shadows. I've also included some events happening in other towns, since there will be some tie-ins in various places, each essentially their own adventure, but connected in some ways. I will keep doing monthly updates as the chapters and overall story develop.
There is a LOT of information, so if I've missed something (likely) please let me know.
Chapter One: The Imperial Spark
Eorgaen 5113 (December, 2013)
* For weeks, the heroes witnessed sporadic attacks on Arkati shrines in or around Wehnimer's Landing. At the beginning of Eorgaen, the sorcerer Nysorm showed up in town, claiming he had located an outpost housing some of these crazy anti-Arkati zealots and quickly needed help to strike at them. Nysorm was once a follower of Grishom Stone's, in the Arcane Eyes, before he eventually betrayed him because Grishom's actions led to the corruption and death of Nysorm's lover. The heroes followed Nysorm through a magical portal to attack a stone fortress among a thick woodland area. They were quickly met by orc, goblin, and kobold defenders, archers and warriors. The monsters were even more quickly slaughtered, as the heroes pushed into the fortress where they encountered more orcish defenders, before coming upon a kitchen cellar full of sobbing orc and goblin women and their whimpering children. Many soon realized the duplicity that had occurred, but it was too late. Others among the group did not hesitate and cut down the women and children. It was then that Stiletto, the goblin trader and rogue appeared. Everyone learned that the inhabitants of the fortress were not the zealots as they had been told, but were in fact members of Thrayzar's clan, who were allied with Wehnimer's Landing. Stiletto, wracked with agony, demanded the heroes leave and was left behind to bury a large majority of their tribe. During the conflict, Nysorm disappeared, many speculating he must be working for Elithain Cross.
* A large storm churns in the Darkstone Bay near the Coastal Cliffs of Wehnimer's Landing, and heroes go to investigate the activity. Ship debris, and waterlogged human corpses are found littering the Black Sands. Loresongs on the corpses reveal that they had been imperial seafarers who had been captured and enslaved by the krolvin, but then the krolvin ship they were on had been hit by the storm. Shortly after, a wave of krolvin scouts, pyromancers and slavers invaded the Black Sands before eventually be killed by the heroes. After the danger had passed, a lone surviving seafarer came out of hiding, wounded and malnourished. He informed the heroes that in recent months the krolvin had been increasing their attacks along the western seas, but apparently only targeting imperial vessels, while going out of their way to ignore others. Furthermore, the krolvin appeared to be far more organized and better equipped than history has shown. The wounded human was escorted to Wehnimer's Landing, fed and provided room and board until he could heal and return home to the Turamzzyrian Empire. On some of the krolvin scouts, maps of the Greymist Woods on Teras Isle are found.
* Earl Jovery, the Sentinel of the North, had been tasked months earlier to travel to Talador to oversee the transition of power from Jantalar back to Talador's own people. Earl Jovery then sought to right past sins and declared Talador's Merchant Council to become a Noble Council, granted with more lands, influence and the ability to appoint their trusted mercenaries and warriors into Knights. The Northern Sentinel and the new Noble Council worked together to select Lord Kuligar Gardane to become the new Baron of Talador, set to occur during a month long festival in Talador.
* More zealots, members of a cult worshipping Althedeus, make continued strikes at the Temple of Lorminstra in Wehnimer's Landing. Their attack is defeated, but some of the temple is left charred.
* Amid rumors of the krolvin fleets being supplied weapons and commands from a source within Wehnimer's Landing, the Earl of Estoria dispatches his second cousin, Lord Rinhale Hurrst, a highly reputable imperial inquisitor. Lord Rinhale's nickname is "The Bluecoat" among many locals in the Turamzzyrian Empire, and he has a known reputation for cruel treatment, torture, and even falsifying evidence to further progress his own success. Councilman Stephos and his wife Alendrial inform the heroes of Rinhale's coming arrival, and his checkered past, as they all hail from Idolone.
* Krolvin scouts and warriors invade the Greymist Beach on Teras Isle. They are pushed back, but have left behind a cage filled with building equipment.
* Lord Rinhale begins to question a number of citizens and visitors in town, most questions focusing on the town's current leadership of Mayor Walkar, and Councilman Deylan and Stephos, along with the Brotherhood of Rooks and dark magic being practiced in the town.
* Shimmering crimson portals appeared near Ta'Vaalor and Ta'Illistim, with droves of undead elves pouring out of them and attacking the two towns.
* Prince Voregrek of Kharam Dzu tells his citizens that he will take a trip to visit the mayor of Wehnimer's Landing so that they might discuss their shared krolvin enemy and what the two towns can do to help each other.
* More undead legions pour out of the crimson portals in the Elven Nations, simultaneously launching attacks on Ta'Vaalor and Ta'Illistim almost nightly. Tiope, the elven traitor who assassinated King Tyrnian Vaalor, is seen coming out of the portals and commanding the undead armies. Tiope demands the Elven Nations surrender, and that under her, the Elven Empire will be reborn. She mentions an attack on Ta'Ardenai by her forces.
* Mayor Nihala of Icemule Trace informs her citizens that Mayor Walkar of Wehnimer's Landing has agreed to send supplies and weapons to help in their conflict against the growing ice troll menace. She is unsure when exactly to expect it.
* Prince Voregrek of Kharam Dzu arrives in Wehnimer's Landing and meets with Mayor Walkar, and a room full of citizens in audience. The dwarven prince explains that not only have the krolvin been launching skirmishes on his island, but his own hired mercenaries have abandoned him, apparently hired away by someone with deeper pockets than his own. Mayor Walkar says he has no warriors to spare, but has an abundance of lumber earmarked for local construction that he is willing to send to Teras to help build archery towers along the Greymist Beach to defend against the krolvin. Prince Voregrek agrees and promises to aid Mayor Walkar when the day comes for a favor to be asked in return. The Prince returns to Teras.
* A caravan is ambushed from Wehnimer's Landing to Icemule Trace, never making it further than the Glatoph. When the heroes see the smoke in the distance they rush to investigate. The wagon's manifest reads grain, fruit and winter clothing, but crates and chests of fruit and grain are all that is left behind. A small red rook was found drawn in chalk on the charred wagon, indicating the Brotherhood of Rooks' involvement. Mayor Walkar surveyed the scene with the heroes and grew angry, finally explaining that there was no winter clothing, and that the wagon also carried a large cache of exploding fire orbs, once owned by Grishom Stone. Some of the orbs were being supplied to the defenders in Icemule Trace, while the other orbs were going to be secreted away from the prying eyes of Lord Rinhale the inquisitor.
* A herald from Talador visits Wehnimer's Landing, Solhaven, River's Rest and Kharam Dzu, inviting everyone to attend the Baronial Coronation Festival for the entire month of Fashanos in Talador. The messenger explains that when the festival begins, the Hall of Mages will provide a portal from Wehnimer's Landing to Talador, for all those wishing to celebrate.
* More anti-Arkati cultists and zealots, worshipping the Shadows/Althedeus, make a powerful attack against Imaera's Shrine near Wehnimer's Landing. The lake's waters, surrounding the island shrine, turn blood red. The heroes and defenders rally before the shrine and fight off the attackers, finally pushing them back and protecting the shrine from damage. The lake of blood remained.
* In the Elven Nations, the undead forces of Tiope focus their strikes on Ta'Vaalor, heavily assaulting the fortress city. Tiope offered the Vaalorians a chance to surrender and bow to her, but they refused. Tiope offered Kakoon of the Legionnaires a chance to join her ranks and lead her undead army. He refused.
* Zevaphim, a crazy priest is found outside of the Temple of Koar in Solhaven, spouting about how the Arkati are weak, have used the lesser races, and how true power lies beyond the so-called gods.
* During his weeks of initial investigations, Lord Rinhale questioned the following people: Avalera, Raincail, Maags, Glyhne, Seomanthe, Balantine, Sareyna, Rowmi, Reawing, Azimar, Cruxophim, Myharl, Bisco, Loralaii, Anru, Alasatia, Masrath, Kiske, Bellaja, Talman, Wariquan, Greganth, Raelee, Neathon, Ichiko, Greycrown, Shanng, Cryheart, Eleonore, Leozande, Giogionni, Rhayveign, Rtune, Chamorr, Savaard, Constal, Bekke, Wintersylph, Alesse, Nairdin, Kaedra, Guerand, Oritori, Bristenn, Roelaren, Riend, Gnazzy, Zeminar, Alafaya, Caence, Praytus, Malrocky, Kerl, Sovine, Puptilian, Xoryl, Mohrgan, Rozy, Geijon, Ewin, Evialla, and Jynai. He also questioned the merchant Edwina, and was refused by the merchant Tykel. A few townspeople refused to answer any of his questions, and they were Tykeara, Chamorr, Sarvia and Ravashaak.
* The body of a Wehnimer's town guard was found hanging from a tree in the Lower Dragonsclaw forest. Speculation swirled around his death.
* Reporting to have seen strange shadows following them, Seomanthe, Kiske, Maags and Cruxophim are assaulted by darkness, their bodies wracked with agony and then left disconnected from the mana essences around them. They are cursed by the Shadows and unable to use magic.
* Lord Rinhale announced he intends to begin questioning local shopkeepers in Wehnimer's Landing, while still continuing to question townspeople. He went on to stress that because of the alliance between the Turamzzyrian Empire and Wehnimer's Landing, he expects everyone to comply with his investigation.
Lormesta 5114 (January, 2014)
* Shadowy voidlings and imps attack Wehnimer’s Landing, engaging and distracting the defenders while the anti-Arkati cultists assaulted the Temple of Ivas in the Vipershroud. Parts of the temple were burned, and the statue of Ivas was defiled. When adventurers arrived and finally fought off the zealots, they found two delimbed Ivasian priestesses. One of the bodies became animated, eerily spoke to those gathered, before both corpses exploded into blood red globules, before finally be dispatched.
* It was announced that Lord Rinhale Hurrst was now conducting some audits of the local merchant’s guild in Wehnimer’s Landing, claiming some financial discrepancies were noted.
* Maags was abducted in Wehnimer’s Landing and taken to the brass tower near the east side of town. Adventurers searched all over for her, until finally discovering her in the tower, where she claimed to have been tortured and flayed by Rinhale and some of his Estorian knights.
* Upon receiving a letter from Sir Cryheart, the Northern Sentinel, Earl Jovery issues a response politely reminding Lord Rinhale to hurry along with his investigation in Wehnimer’s Landing, while also strongly encouraging the Landing’s local authorities to cooperate.
* Yellow-eyed zealots, presumably a cult following towards Althedeus, attacked the Luukos Shrine near the Coastal Cliffs by Wehnimer’s Landing. Many adventurers came to fight off the zealots and suffered heavy casualities. It was then a colossal soul golem arrived and crushed the remaining zealots, just as part of the underground area collapsed, the rubble blocking off Luukos’ shrine.
* Mayor Walkar declared that all of Rinhale’s questioning of townspeople must have town militia members in attendance, to ensure protection of the citizens. Days later, repairs to the Raging Thrak Inn are announced, and Rinhale’s room and his knights are relocated to Wayside Inn.
* In the Elven Nations, waves of undead continued to assault both Ta’Vaalor and Ta’Illistim. Tiope once again gave the Legionnaires a chance to join her cause, warning the Elven Houses would fall, and that Ta’Ardenai already had. Her offer was refused.
* Krolvin ships arrive on Teras, dropping off a wave of skilled warriors. Battle ensues on the isle, as Prince Voregrek joins his citizens in the conflict. After the krolvin are beat back, the dwarven Prince assess the new archery towers that had been setup along the beach, and informs those gathered that additional archers had been hired to help man the towers.
* Lord Rinhale engaged in a heated exchange on the steps of Hearthstone Porch in Wehnimer’s Landing. He received a number of open threats, and even volleyed with a few insults of his own. Many demanded he leave town, to which he informed them that the town leaders were delaying their meetings with him, therefor prolonging his investigation. Lord Rinhale retired for the evening, escorted away by Sir Cryheart, who he had asked to meet with in private.
* In Ta’Illistim, Tiope’s undead forces pushed into the city, surrounding the dais as forces clashed on the streets of the elven city.
* After a drill in Ta’Vaalor, the Legionnaires recruited all who would aid them and made a push to take back the Ravelin. They were met with a tremendous undead force and after a lot of bloodshed, turned back unsuccessful.
* Rumors began to circulate that Rinhale had gone missing, having never returned to his quarters after the confrontation with many adventurers on the Hearthstone Porch nights before. Mayor Walkar announced an investigation into his disappearance would be conducted.
* Invasions continued to hit Ta’Vaalor and Ta’Illistim, while siege engines were deployed by the undead and made both the Dais and King’s Court perilous places to be.
* Mayor Walkar announced the plan to build new mobile ballista towers for the defense of Wehnimer’s Landing, and will be giving the local Cooperative Houses of Elanthia a chance to donate funds to their creation.
* A successful counter strike was launched against the undead out of Ta’Vaalor, and the Ravelin was finally reclaimed.
* Khylon, the town marshal of Wehnimer’s Landing, began to question a few suspects in the disappearance of Rinhale Hurrst. His lists of suspects at the time were the following: Walkar, Deylan, Stephos, Drangell, Tykel, Sarvia, Ravashaak, Uskeye, Cruxophim, Greganth, Xoryl, Sareyna, Giogionni, Tykeara, Riend, Azimar, Zeminar, Kerl, Masrath, Hapenlok, Neovik, Psystahldar, Myharl, Ewin, Bekke, Cryheart and Maags.
* Illistim mages performed a spell outside of the crimson portals in the Elven Nations, in a hope to destroy them. Their magic had ill-desired effects, destroying all of them, and opening the portals to the other side. King Qalinor Vaalor and Lord Legionnaire Commander Jaranzair led the assault through the portals, discovering that the ancient ruins of ShadowGuard awaited them. A bloody conflict ensued.
* Khylon continued more questioning of suspects in Wehnimer’s Landing, then helped to organize a massive search party. Five groups were formed to cover the town and its environs, and they were led by Dakris the furrier, Puptilian, Vrairdrick, Uskeye and Cryheart. The areas they were assigned included the Burrow Way, Coastal Cliffs, Lowe Dragonsclaw, Upper Trollfang, Wehntoph, Spider Temple, and the Mine Road. Among the search party, was the unscrupulous assassin known as Vleg, who claimed he wish to aid in preventing the Turamzzyrian Empire from turning its sights on the Landing. Later into the night, Ondreian located a poor concealed pile of dirt and dozens of adventurers descended onto the location, digging away to find the corpse of Rinhale Hurrst. Loresinging by Ariandae and Archales revealed that Rinhale had a secret lover’s tryst with Lady Alendrial in the woods. The lore discovered that a shadowy figure had attacked Rinhale and killed him, leaving Alendrial behind as the sole witness to the murder. When the information was presented to town officials, Marshal Khylon arrested Alendrial, detaining her for protection, and questioning. Despite the discovery of the corpse, the magical black coral amulet Rinhale had was not found with the body.
* Councilman Stephos angrily told adventurers on the Hearthstone Porch that his wife Alendrial could rot in jail for her infidelity. A messenger then arrived and informed him that Mayor Walkar intended to free his wife from jail. The councilman stormed off.
* Mayor Walkar and a crowd of adventurers gathered at the North Docks in Wehnimer’s to watch the Estorian knights slowly move their way through town, carrying a crate with Rinhale’s body inside. The procession ended at the docks, where the knights placed Rinhale’s body and crate on a ship. The knights turned to face the gathered crowd, many reaching for their swords, and the threat of a bloody conflict drawing near. The heroes present withdrew their weapons and prepared, just as members of the Brotherhood of Rooks also appeared along warehouse rooftops, lending their bows for support. Outnumbered, the knights boarded their ship and sailed home to Idolone.
* After the presence of Estorian knights were out of Wehnimer’s Landing, Mayor Walkar released Lady Alendrial from jail and she was escorted home by local adventurers. Alendrial had explained that she was afraid to tell anyone of what happened, because she feared her husband Stephos’ wrath at finding out about the affair with Rinhale, one of his old enemies. A little later, Kilron came around and told the heroes that someone came in and sold a cracked black coral amulet to his pawnshop, apparently not knowing what it was. Kilron had the heroes help him find the museum curator Glethad, who agreed to research the amulet with the help of Magister Raelee and Aurla.
* That same night, after the research of the amulet had begun, Thrayzar the orc was spotted running along the rooftops of Wehnimer’s Landing. Guards were told not to attack, but soon Rooks appeared on the rooftops, hunting down the orc. Cries filled the streets as some guards ran into view, their faces melted with acid. Madelyne, the urnon golem was spotted slipping through the shadows of the town, killing guards as she passed. After attacking some of the adventurers, the golem escaped through a red portal near the town gates. Soon after, Thrayzar the orc reappeared and explained to those present that he had been hunting the golem, and tracked her here. He had very strong words for many present, in regards to the misguided slaughter of his clan. The orc did not linger, and left minutes later, to continue his hunt.
* Days later, Glethad, Raelee and Aurla gathered a large crowd inside of the Landing Museum to report on the information they gleaned from Rinhale’s amulet. They had learned the amulet was an ancient artifact from before the Wizardwaste was created, and that blood magic and demonic materials was required in its original creation, making it a curious item for an imperial inquisitor to be using. Glethad then activated the amulet, and all those present were able to hear a partial report of Rinhale’s skewed findings, which many feared were going to be reported back to someone of great importance in the Empire, or perhaps already had. At the end, the heroes are able to see through Rinhale’s eyes, and discover his murderer was actually Madelyne, the urnon golem. The amulet then crumbles into ash, taking any evidence with it.
* The adventurers learned of krolvin forces on the Coastal Cliffs and rushed in to fight them. Pushing back the krolvin, they heroes venture out into the waters of Darkstone Bay and board two krolvin ships. Large crates of weapons are found on board, along with maps of Teras and other cities along the coastline of the Turamzzyrian Empire. The first ship is set on fire. The second ship is not as easily destroyed, and exploration of it reveals a summoning chamber below deck, where the heroes encounter a massively powerful oculoth. Once the demon is killed, a rift instantly teleports the heroes into scattered locations in the wilds, and the ship is torn apart. A weapons crate, matching the ones found on the krolvin warships, is found tucked into the Burrow Way caverns near the Coastal Cliffs.
* Teuriz, the wandering Tehir shaman who had been in Wehnimer’s Landing for a few months, pushing around his cart, offered a possible means to cure the four adventurers who had been cursed and severed from their magic. Seomanthe and Cruxophim refuse to partake in a blood ritual, while Kiske and Maags agree, with the promise that no one protecting them gets hurt. The shaman performs his ritual, requiring many in the crowd for assistance, including Sarvia, Ravashaak, Sareyna, Avalera, Rozy, Giogonni, Kaldonis, Astru, Raincail and Cryheart. After a gruesome, challenging ritual, Kiske and Maags are cured of their affliction.
* Mayor Walkar announced that Grand Magister Pylasar of the Hall of Mages is set to appear soon in Wehnimer’s Landing, and will be responsible for opening and maintaining the portal to Talador so everyone may participate in the upcoming festivities and baronial coronation.
* The Estorian knights arrived back at Idolone with Rinhale’s body, and the Earl of Estoria announced a few days of mourning, before meeting with his advisors to weigh options for seeking justice against Wehnimer’s Landing, whom he considers personally responsible for Rinhale’s demise.
Fashanos 5114 (February, 2014)
* Grand Magister Pylasar, from the Hall of Mages in the Swale, arrived in Wehnimer’s Landing and opened up a portal to Talador. The portal would remain accessible the entire month, allowing adventurers to visit Talador during the Baronial Coronation Festival.
* In Talador, adventurers got to explore parts of the town, shop at a number of local and traveling merchants, and even brave the dangers of the haunted silver mines, ogre and orc infested woodlands, an old battlefield, and even the gnarled minions of a witch in a dark forest named the Murkwoods.
* Adventurers met many flavorful townspeople in Talador, including Glissando a wandering minstrel, Dowager Paiva a local healer, the chocolatier Tootzy, Jalup the owner of the Bitter Bite, Khazhim the ex-captain of the Taladorian Guard, Zaestreos a local drunk and shady individual, Achner the silversmith, Saesi a dwarven widow, Old Winniefred a retired lady of the night from the Honey Mine, Asvith a dwarven scout and member of the Sunfist, Madam Ardenale of the Honey Mine brothel, Brumahrn a local blacksmith, the spinster Mareika, the confectioner Darelle, wife to Burchard, a local baker, Middala, who had moved from Wehnimer’s Landing to Talador, the cartographer Debes, a swindler and speculator named Codsworth, the street waif Tzigen, and Lady Cosima the daughter of Lord Thermon, the leader of the Noble Council of Talador.
* During the time in Talador, Lordship Kuligar, who was selected to be become the new Baron, frequently visited adventurers in town, often stopping by the Bitter Bite tavern, despite such behavior typically unexpected from nobility.
* During the time in Talador, Lord Thermon was seen consistently trying to arrange the marriage of his daughter Lady Cosima, to Lordship Kuligar. After a while, it also became apparent that Sir Davard, the Captain of the Taladorian Guard, was madly in love with Cosima and resentment for Kuligar had grown.
* Meanwhile, in the Elven Nations, elven forces continued to push into the recently opened Shadowguard, going back and forth against the seemingly endless tide of undead.
* Rumors spread like wildfire in Talador, some suggesting an evil witch lived in a cabin nearby, some suggesting a vein of a new gem discovered named blood marble in the haunted mines, and even some talking of monster hordes growing in power in the DragonSpine mountains.
* Lordship Kuligar, with little fanfare, was escorted through the portal to Wehnimer’s Landing and met with Mayor Walkar, and Stephos, Jenkins and Khylon of the town council. They discussed plans to establish stronger trade and alliances between Talador and Wehnimer’s Landing.
* Lord Eldurn Winter from Brisker’s Cove spent some time in Talador, spending some time handling some merchant business. One night in the Bitter Bite, the traveling wine merchant Juramis confronted Lord Winter about the rumors of him seeking Juramis’ death. The matter was discussed openly among the two men, ending with Lord Winter dismissing such rumors and offering a chance for Juramis to return to Brisker’s Cove and come work with him.
* Huge black owls were seen one night, soaring down and snatching up children and eventually even Taladorian guards, lifting off and carrying them into the night. Adventurers tracked them down and discovered the entrance to the Murkwoods, where they eventually found the witch’s cabin and were confronted by Raznel, an old enemy presumably thought killed years ago in Wehnimer’s Landing.
* Days later, in another confrontation, adventures were able to storm Raznel’s cabin and discovered four ossuaries, two of them already destroyed. Upon inspecting, the remaining two ossuaries contained etchings of Seomanthe and Cruxophim, and the adventurers eventually destroyed the urns, causing pain to Seomanthe and Cruxophim, but eventually breaking the curse that had previously blocked their magic. The other two urns presumably belonged to Maags and Kiske, whose curses had been lifted by the Tehir shaman Teuriz weeks before. After the raid on the cabin, Raznel avoided future conflict and the path to her cabin had magically disappeared.
* During one of the battles with Raznel and her minions, the witch had mentioned for her attackers to ask Lordship Kuligar if Saralyn would be making it to the coronation. Later, when Lordship Kuligar was asked about Saralyn, he denied recognizing the name and dismissed the witch’s words. Days later, Lordship Kuligar announced his engagement to Lady Cosima.
* Using the name of Lord Ulest, Vleg had been spending time in Talador. After a few days, his identity was figured out and locals reported the sighting of the known assassin Vleg. Taladorian guards found the wanted criminal in the Bitter Bite tavern and apprehended him, planning to execute him publically after the coronation.
* For a few nights, the ghosts of dead Jantalarian soldiers invaded outside of Talador. Eventually adventurers discovered the spirits were tied to a candle an old widow was burning in her home in Talador. The candle was revealed to be made out of the melted skin of old Jantalarian soldiers, who had been killed by the woman’s sorcerer husband, after the soldiers tortured and killed their daughter. The candle was eventually destroyed, and the spirits released.
* During the time in Talador, Sir Davard led a few patrols, joined by some visiting adventurers, to hunt down and bring justice to the roaming bandits in the area. Many of the bandits were said to be ex-Jantalarian soldiers, who had found no home or purpose to return to after Jantalar’s failed conquests a decade before, so had been forced into a life of thievery.
* Meanwhile, on Teras Isle, a few more incursions happened with the krolvin along the beaches of the volcanic island.
* The Church of Koar announced it was sending high priest Chaston Griffin to become the new Prelate of Talador, to oversee the rebuilding and expansion of the Church of Koar in Talador. Days later, Prelate Chaston arrived to Talador, accompanied by a following of loyal priests and priestesses of Koar.
* Visitors in Talador reported seeing half-eaten aelotoi wings around town and in the wilds. After days of a few more sightings, heroes adventured out into the wilds and located a horde of monsters, led by a huge ogre that had been capturing and eating aelotoi. The adventures eventually dispatched the ogre and its minions.
* After finishing his business in Talador, Lord Winter returned through the portal to Wehnimer’s Landing, where his ship waited for him to carry him back to Brisker’s Cove.
* Over a hundred adventurers, and thousands of townspeople, gathered at Doggoroth Keep to witness the coronation ceremony of Baron Kuligar Gardane. Visiting nobility were slowly escorted up to a stone dais, including Baron Malwind, his daughter Lady Athalia, his guard captain Gurbah, Earl Jovery, Baroness Delphinuria and a grouping of Taladorian, Hendoran, Vornavian and Jantalarian knights. Among the knights in attendance on the dais, were Sir Cryheart, Sir Metadi, Sir Bristenn, Dame Yviara and Dame Deavon, who had escorted Baron Malwind and his daughter. Shortly after the visiting nobility took their places, the priests of Koar and Prelate Chaston joined the stage, followed by Lord Thermon and the future bride of the Baron, Lady Cosima. Jeers erupted in the crowd when Sir Davard escorted the criminal Vleg up to the dais, bound in chains, where it was expected he would be publically executed after the coronation for crimes in the Empire. Greeted by a thousand cheers and thundering applause, Lordship Kuligar took the stage and was anointed by chrism from Prelate Chaston, and then appointed and proclaimed Baron by Earl Jovery. Lord Thermon then announced the wedding date for Cosima and Kuligar to be on the 15th of Charlatos, and that everyone is invited to return to celebrate the event. Following that announcement, Glissando the minstrel performed a new song created specifically for the coronation. Baron Kuligar then gave a riveting speech about Talador’s bold and prosperous new future, which was cut short when a patch of shadows peeled off of Grhim’s back, who had been standing on the observation deck above. The shadow shifted to reveal the urnon golem Madelyne Cross, who leapt down onto the stone dais, rushed past Sir Davard who did not budge to stop her, and stabbed Baron Kuligar.
* Knights rushed in to aid Baron Kuligar and stop the golem, but Madelyne escaped in a flash of crimson light. The crowd half erupted into cries of shock, the other half silenced in awe. As Baron Kuligar’s body hit the ground, it transformed into the corpse of Deylan, the orange-eyed humanoid spy who worked for Mayor Walkar.
* Immediately following the chaos of the assassination and shapeshifter revelation, Earl Jovery sought to gain control of the situation and warned all visitors to return to where they came from, that the danger in Talador might still be on the loose. Sir Davard rushed Cosima off the stage to get her to safety, and Vleg was escorted back to his prison cell.
* Back in Wehnimer’s Landing, Mayor Walkar called on Grand Magister Pylasar to destroy the portal to Talador, after all of the visitors had returned. Mayor Walkar then revealed to the baffled and angry crowd that Kuligar had went to meet a secret lover, Saralyn, in the Talador forest months ago and had fallen off his horse, resulting in his death. Deylan had been tasked to spy on the Taladorian leadership, to learn who might be best to work with in brokering alliances and trade. Deylan had followed Kuligar to the secret meeting in the forest, and had seen him fall. It was then that Saralyn stepped out of the forest, and having seen Deylan, the shapechanging spy had no choice in his mind, but to silence her. Using Kuligar’s unfortunate death as an opportunity, Deylan took on Kuligar’s form and continued on with the plan for Kuligar to become Baron, who would then become the staunchest ally of Wehnimer’s Landing, with the ability to provide imperial soldiers and resources that Wehnimer’s lacked. Mayor Walkar promised that he did not instruct Deylan to do any of this, but once he was made aware, he allowed the deception to continue. Mayor Walkar promised to do what he could to ease the troubles with imperial allies he had created.
* On the heels of the Tragedy in Talador, Estoria announced it would sent an imperial fleet to launch an attack on Wehnimer’s Landing, joined by the declaration of Lord Thermon, who had also declared that Taladorian forces would march, embarking on a crusade for justice against Wehnimer’s Landing.
* The adventurers and townspeople of Wehnimer’s Landing are left divided, as some work to squelch imperial anger, and others prepare for war.
Chapter Two: Gathering Darkness
Charlatos 5114 (March, 2014)
* Lord Eldurn Winter sent a letter to Coucilman Stephos that he and many nobles in Brisker’s Cove continue to support Wehnimer’s Landing and hope and encourage trade agreements to remain in place.
* Grand Magister Pylasar left Wehnimer’s Landing to go back to Chastonia to try to secure some political allies for Mayor Walkar.
* Some adventurers around Wehnimer's Landing noticed strange sea blue motes of light floating around town. Over the course of the next few days, some adventurers notice sea blue specks forming in their pupils. Those effected are Galdreth, Stormyrain, Ayaki, Glyhne, Concise, Ohr, Mikeke, Dendum, Hapenlok, Geijon, Saveela, Palcron, Balantine, Rtune, Tknar, Imena, Ravashaak, Svantai, Sylverose, Sairai, Radeek, Bjarn, Ephya and Raelee.
* Ravashaack, effected by the blue specks in his eyes, had a vision where he overhears conversations of others effected by the blue specks, before his vision changed to thousands of krolvin ships amassing at the Shores of Glaoveln.
* Mayor Walkar announced that a logging camp had been built in the Lower Dragonsclaw forest and all are encouraged to help gather logs and prepare traps in the trees of the forest, to help defend against invasions.
* Adventurers began to patrol the rooftops of many buildings in Wehnimer's Landing, stocking up on arrows and bows in order to use the roofs as another measure of defense against enemies in their streets.
* News out of Talador announced the execution of Vleg, the assassin wanted for many crimes in the Turamzzyrian Empire.
* Reports of the northern provinces of the Turamzzyrian Empire revealed that great hordes of monsters were organizing and Mestanir saw increased attacks along their borders.
* Rumors reached Wehnimer's Landing that there was an increased level of demonic activity along the Demonwall and that recently the Order of the Golvern Star had suffered an alarming rate of causalities.
* Baron Malwind sent a letter requesting Mayor Walkar's presence at court in the Vornavis Keep to explain his role in the duplicity and tragedy at the baronial coronation in Talador.
* Meanwhile, in the Elven Nations, Tiope's undead minions continued to assault Ta'Vaalor and Ta'Illistim, carrying out some of the bloodiest conflicts since the portals to ShadowGuard had been opened.
* Mayor Walkar, along with dozens of adventurers, traveled to Solhaven where they were escorted to the Great Hall in Vornavis for an audience with Baron Malwind. Walkar and Malwind exchanged a few heated words and in the end Baron Malwind said he would do all he could to help the people of Wehnimer's Landing in diplomacy, but his hands were tied when it came to military aid or support. Walkar and the adventurers returned back to Wehnimer's Landing with no blood shed, despite the cloud of tension the entire night.
* Emperor Aurmont Anodheles of the Turamzzyrian Empire, Ruler of the Sun Throne, commanded Estoria to refocus their naval efforts on the growing krolvin threat in the western sea, but as a matter of appeasement approved of a small detachment of ships to remain on course for Wehnimer's Landing. In addition, the Sun Throne commanded Earl Jovery, the Northern Sentinel, to quickly take control of the troubling situations in the North.
* Alendrial DeArchon found a ledger her husband Stephos had, showing large orders for weapons placed by the merchant's guild to Tykel. Many encouraged her to turn it over to the authorities in case something didn't look right. Stephos claimed he was innocent of any conspiracy people were grasping at. In the end, Alendrial returned the tome to Stephos, who moved back into their home together and seemed to be trying to mend their relationship.
* Sir Toliman Taggart, a knight of the Order of the Golvern Star, arrived in Wehnimer's Landing via the Glaesen Star. The knight had briefly visited Kharam Dzu where he had traveled to lay his father to rest. Sir Toliman briefly spoke to those gathered in the town of the gathering darkness at the Demonwall then explained that he would be setting off to return to his post the following day.
* Grand Magister Pylasar returned to Wehnimer's Landing from his trip to Chastonia, having failed to receive any political support for Mayor Walkar. The archmage declared he would remain in Wehnimer's Landing to observe and study Mayor Walkar's cursed armor and the new magical affliction causing some people's eyes to gain blue specks. Many present explained that some of them felt the blue specks in the eyes were related to Grishom Stone, who was presumably dead, but perhaps something or someone was using their eyes as a means of divination. When Magister Raelee revealed to Grand Magister Pylasar that her eyes also had the blue specks, he advised her not to return to the Empire or the Hall of Mages until the mystery of the specks could be discovered, as she was likely compromised.
* Earl Jovery made a declaration strongly suggesting Talador turn away from their conflict against Wehnimer's Landing and to seek another approach for justice. The Earl went on to say he would not support Talador's actions, but would not act to stop them. He also commanded Vornavis to turn its focus to defenses against the krolvin threat and that resources from Hendor and Jantalar would be used in helping to aid Mestanir against the recent incursions from monsters. In addition, Earl Jovery commanded the knights in the Order of the Silver Gryphons to stand down from any conflict with Talador, claiming their involvement would just complicate matters.
* Mayor Walkar and Marshal Khylon hired more militia members in Wehnimer's Landing. Marshal Khylon called upon his old dwarven mercenary company and brought in some additional defenders for hire to help against any war with Talador.
* Glissando, the traveling minstrel showed up in Wehnimer's Landing, having left Talador a week before. He warned the adventurers that Talador would march to war soon and that Sir Davard leads them and the entire conflict has been anointed by Prelate Chaston Griffin, the high priest of Koar in Talador. Glissando then bid farewell and said his travels would take him south, far from the conflict in the north.
* One evening, krolvin war galleys attacked Wehnimer's Landing, Teras and River's Rest in an organized strike. Krolvin swarmed from their boats, racking up many causalities before the defenders of all three towns finally stopped them and destroyed their ships.
* Ta'Vaalor launched a counter attack, led by King Qalinor Falustro Vaalor, against Tiope's undead forces in ShadowGuard. During the battle, Tiope had a moment of lucidity and realized the damage she was causing and so impaled herself on her own sword, taking her life. Her body was consumed by shadows a demonic creature appeared, slaughtering many before it was finally dispatched. The portals to ShadowGuard then closed, the threat from Tiope having ended.
* Construction finished on new mobile siege towers outside of Wehnimer's Landing, each one funded by four organizations (Rone Academy, House of Paupers, House Sovyn and Silvergate Inn) of the Cooperative Houses of Elanthia. The towers were deployed into the Lower Dragonsclaw forest and were named Rone's Wrath, Paupers' Defense, Sovyn Safeguard and the Silvergate Shield.
* Word was sent to Baron Malwind requesting use of the refugee camps outside of Vornavis to be used as temporary shelter for citizens looking to flee Wehnimer's Landing before the coming war. Baron Malwind regretfully declined the request and instead tore down the old camps and repurposed the resources to help the Vornavis Navy as they prepared to defend against krolvin.
* With war almost certain, many shops closed up in town as some citizens decided to leave their business and seek safety in another town. The local shops that closed were the boutique, clothier, wine shop, candle wagon, candy shop, bakery, grocer and music shop.
* Organized by the Landing Defense Irregulars and undertaken by dozens and dozens of adventurers, a protected evacuation was successful in transporting almost two hundred citizens from Wehnimer's Landing to Icemule, in hopes of escaping the coming war. The escort was met with some dangers from ice trolls as it got closer to Icemule, but barely suffered any causalities. Early on in the escort, a Taladorian scout was seen near the Glatoph and was killed quickly.
* After celebrating a successful escort in Icemule, Stormyrain, who was effected by the blue specks in her eyes, had a vision in a tavern in Icemule. Her vision showed the march of Taladorian forces had already begun and she saw a dark cloth-covered wagon far behind their columns of soldiers. As the vision drew her closer to the wagon, she was wracked with pain and the vision ended abruptly.
* A damage Estorian ship arrived on the Black Sands near Wehnimer's Landing, the only survivors being three knights, two sailors and an archer. Local adventurers quickly arrived to meet them and were told that a massive fleet of krolvin wreaked havoc on their imperial fleet. The Estorians also explained that the krolvin were augmented by demons in the sky. Mayor Walkar then arrived with some of his town guards and many in the crowd cried out for him to show mercy and not kill the Estorians. Walkar asked if the Estorians had intended to show them any mercy, had their travel been successful, to which they replied no. Surprising many present, Walkar offered quarter to the Estorians and declared they would be healed and fed and then returned home to Estoria, via land.
* Ephya, effected by the blue specks in her eyes, had a vision of the detachment of the Estorian fleet on its way to Wehnimer's Landing, where it had then been almost completely destroyed by krolvin and demons, thus confirming the Estorian survivor's story. Her vision ended with a large krolvin standing on the deck of a massive ship, his onyx-hued eyes gleaming with anger and his arm wearing a red steel gauntlet that he raised high in triumph.
* House of the Rising Phoenix offered to open their building up to people in Wehnimer's Landing who did not wish to flee, but wanted additional protection and safety in numbers. Many townspeople answered the call, including many in Shanty Town, and took up temporary residence within the walls of House Phoenix.
* Geijon, effected by the blue specks in his eyes, had a vision of blood rain in the sky and a gnarled black tree growing in the Lower Dragonsclaw forest, a tree matching the same found in the orchard behind Moot Hall. Later, scouts confirmed that a black tree bearing blood apples had indeed appeared in the forest, the first known time one had been spotted outside of its original grove.
* Thrayzar returned to Wehnimer's Landing from his scouting mission. He informed the heroes that there was about a week left before the Taladorian army would arrive. Thrayzar was then asked to speak to the local kobolds about garnering their aid against the imperial army, who would likely be unkind to their race and forest.
* A krolvin ship was spotted near Solhaven and is destroyed by catapults, but not before it sends a wave of krolvin onto the Vornavis beach. Local heroes and adventurers kill off all of the krolvin in a bloody battle.
* A kobold warchief showed up on the steps of Hearthstone and offered an alliance to the people of Wehnimer's Landing. The agreement was that the kobolds would fight alongside them against Talador, but that the people of Wehnimer's needed to avoid the kobold village. The terms were agreed upon and an alliance was formed.
Olaesta 5114 (April, 2014)
* Rtune, effected by the blue specks in his eyes, had a vision of Lord Thermon Chisholm offering Sir Davard the hand of his daughter, Cosima, if he wins the war against Wehnimer's Landing.
* Estorian ships arrived on the beaches of River's Rest and instead of housing imperials, it was a bunch of krolvin that swarmed out and attacked before they were defeated and the ships destroyed.
* The Taladorian army launched a major offensive against Wehnimer's Landing, hurling boulders and arrow volleys into the town, slaughtering adventurers and townspeople alike. A few siege engines were located near Danjirland and destroyed by the defenders. The Taladorian war camp was discovered near the tree spirits in Upper Trollfang.
* The black trees behind Moot Hall started to gather all dead adventurers who died within the walls of Wehnimer's Landing, magically teleporting their bodies back to the orchard and creating a new, questionable spot for triage.
* After days of ongoing battles, Sir Davard and the remainder of his army arrived at the front lines and continued with almost daily and nighty attacks on Wehnimer's Landing. Davard was injured and killed a number of times, but was always dragged off by his soldiers and healed.
* Fyrentennimar, effected by the blue specks in his eyes, had a vision of Prelate Chaston of the Church of Koar in Talador giving Sir Davard a suit of magical adamantine full plate and a blessed golden sword, dubbed Koar's Fury and Might.
* As the Taladorian assault against Wehnimer's Landing raged on, on many occasions Sir Davard joined the fray, cutting down defenders before eventually being stopped each time, only to be pulled off the field and healed.
* The krolvin launched a major assault against the City of Freeport in the County of Torre. Citizens of River's Rest are warned to be on high alert as forces from the ongoing battle could spill over to their small island nearby.
* Sir Davard issued his demands for a surrender from Wehnimer's Landing, promising to end the war if they were met in full. The demands require that 1. Mayor Walkar and those who conspire with him will be taken into Taladorian custody. 2. Talador will officially occupy Wehnimer's Landing with Sir Davard in command and the barony's flag on their gates. 3. The demonic orchard behind Moot Hall would be destroyed. 4. Wehnimer's Landing would pay for the construction of a Temple of Koar and 5. All followers of Lornon in the town would be hunted down and put to the sword.
* Sir Norallen of Honneland, who had come to Wehnimer's Landing to seek out a legendary weapon in a quest to join the Order of the Golvern Star, brokered a meeting with some adventurers and Sir Davard to discuss his blade. Sir Davard lectured everyone on the power of Koar and the might of men over blades, and then his audience was allowed to leave without harm.
* One evening Taladorian forces rushed the gates with ballistae and rams, and Sir Davard set upon the orchard behind Moot Hall, where he cut down dozens of clerics and priests and the recently resurrected. He was eventually thwarted and injured by Rtune before he crawled away and escaped.
* Krolvin launched another attack on Solhaven Bay and swarmed the beaches before Vornavis defenses destroyed their ships. Many adventurers and defenders fought the krolvin on the beach and killed them all, keeping them from reaching the towns.
* Night after night, Taladorian forces continued to set up barricades in the environs around Wehnimer's Landing, cutting them off from other towns and establishing catapults behind the blockades. Night after night, the heroes continued to cut down the Taladorians and destroy their siege engines and barricades.
* During many of the Taladorian attacks, Mayor Walkar or Marshal Khylon fought alongside the adventurers. Each time Mayor Walkar battled amongst the adventurers, his armor would end up draining him by the end of the night, forcing him to rest or eat of the blood trees in the orchard.
* In a strategic counter attack, Thrayzar the orc led a group of adventurers to an area in the Red Forest where part of Davard's supply wagons were. The adventurers destroyed dozens of wagons, and killed a number of soldiers, warriors and even seamstresses, cooks and women from the Honey Mine in Talador. It was said that the Grand Magister Pylasar from the Hall of Mages broke his neutrality and aided the heroes in creating a portal to be able to access the Red Forest.
* In response against the supply wagon attack, Sir Davard launched a massive attack and set up barricades and siege engines at the Coastal Cliffs, Upper Trollfang and the Foothills. As defenders rushed to destroy the enemy at each blockade, Sir Davard led an invasion on the Gryphon Holding in Lyserian Hills and overtook it, capturing the fortress and imprisoning its servants inside. From the top of the structure, construction began on two catapults. In a glowing boost of his takeover, Sir Davard renamed the building Koar's Holding.
* Sir Davard sent a letter circulating among his army, and to the supporters back in Talador, detailing his war against Wehnimer's Landing in a good and righteous light and spreading propaganda against his enemy and its citizens, while trying to strengthen the will of the people of Talador.
* In Icemule, members of the Arcane Eyes who seek to summon Thaw, led an attack on the refugees of Wehnimer's Landing in the town, injuring some and capturing one as a potential sacrifice to their elemental.
* On Teras, the krolvin made further advances on the island and the construction on their slave camp finished. Local adventurers made ongoing missions into the camp to fight the krolvin, but their forces have not been able to be pushed back yet.
* Mayor Walkar joined in a battle with the defenders of Wehnimer's as Taladorian forces rolled siege towers into place, assaulting the walls and gates of the town. Mayor Walkar acted as a human shield, being riddled with arrows as he helped to lead the destruction of some of the towers in Upper Trollfang. He then used his waraxe to cut open Grhim's throat, calling upon the magic of his breastplate to channel the blood magic at two of the siege towers, instantly obliterating them. He was left weakened, and escorted back to town to rest.
* Krolvin launched another raid on Wehnimer's Landing, as dozens of ships arrived at the north and middle docks. Krolvin swarmed the town, bursting into buildings and capturing slaves to be boarded on their ships, and cutting down anyone who got in their way. Adventurers rushed in to defend and rescue, killing off many of the krolvin and destroying some ships. Sir Davard led an attack on Wehnimer's Landing, and while some of his knights stood by and did nothing as some innocent people were kidnapped by krolvin, Sir Davard ordered his men to attack the krolvin and even their catapults targeted some of the ships in Darkstone Bay. Only one krolvin ship escaped the conflict and was badly damaged and still on fire as it sailed off. When the dust settled, Sir Davard came in peace to the North Gate and returned dozens of Landing citizens who had been captured by the krolvin, but his Taladorian forces had rescued.
* After a long battle with Taladorian forces, many in Wehnimer's Landing were left dead in the black orchard and few clerics were available to aid the fallen. Mayor Walkar arrived at the orchard, dug his hands into the soil and rose, his eyes glowing as he pointed to one corpse after another, resurrecting all of the fallen adventurers and calling them to return to the fight. The powerful feat left Walkar fatigued and he retired for the evening.
* In spillover from the Battle at Fairport, krolvin began to show up regularly on the beaches of River's Rest, making the area outside of the town's drawbridge more dangerous than normal. A large krolvin ship remained docked near River's Rest, often engaging in battle with imperial ships that got too close, or adventurers who tried to climb aboard.
* A local schooner captain out of Wehnimer's Landing offered to take ten volunteer adventurers out to rescue some prisoners from krolvin slavers.
* In Icemule, members of the Arcane Eyes made a push to summon the great elemental Thaw and were confronted by a number of heroes in the underground ice caverns, their plans temporarily thwarted.
* Meanwhile, while many heroes fought to help Icemule, Sir Davard launched a massive attack on Wehnimer's Landing and setup a blockade on the Glatoph, preventing those in Icemule from easily returning to defend. Wehnimer's suffered great causalities and was on the brink of being overwhelmed, and Marshal Khylon and Mayor Walkar soon joined the fight as well. Walkar was surrounded by Taladorian forces and cut down, then magically teleported back to the black orchard. The trees healed his wounds and returned life to him, and he charged out into the forest and released a wave of crimson energy, burning up the Taladorian's bodies and leaving him weakened and nearly unconscious. Ondreian helped him back to the black orchard, where he walked into the grove of trees and disappeared. Minutes later, cold winds rushed across the entire town and the air grew chilled. The trees behind Moot Hall stretched and released dozens of tiny red spores that floated off over the Lower Dragonsclaw and Upper Trollfang and beyond. Wherever the spores landed, a new gnarled oily black tree arose.
* With the situation between Wehnimer's Landing and Talador quickly deteriorating, Baron Malwind sent his son, Salnim as an envoy to parlay with Sir Davard in an attempt to reason with the commander and focus the might of Talador on real enemies such as the krolvin on the seas and the monster hordes in the north.
* Factions within Wehnimer's Landing began to secretly plot to strike at Davard where it might hurt him the most.
Ivastaen 5114 (May, 2014)
* Drangell arranges for a portal to be created to Talador and members of the Drakes Vanguard and their allies and friends storm the streets of Talador's western district, as members of the Dae'Randir approach the Chisholm Manor in an attempt to kidnap Cosima. Other adventurers learn of the operation and rush through the portal, trying to stop the kidnappers and warn Cosima. In the end, Cosima is captured and falls into the possession of the Brotherhood of Rooks.
* Prelate Chaston Griffin issues a powerful threat to Wehnimer's Landing should any harm come to Cosima, the proclaimed Jewel of Talador.
* Meanwhile, in Icemule Trace, worshippers of Thaw continued to set into motion events to summon the great elemental creature.
* Turinrond and Ondreian of the Dae'Randur are publically hung by Mayor Walkar for their admitted involvement in Cosima's abduction. No one names are given to the mayor for those involved. Mayor Walkar revokes the pardon he once placed for Drangell.
* Sir Davard issues a letter (propaganda) about the capture of Cosima and the villainy of Wehnimer's Landing.
* Some adventurers who opposed the kidnapping of Cosima, many among them being members of the Landing Defense Irregulars, were contacted by Marshal Khylon in an attempt to rescue Cosima from the Rooks. Expecting such bravery, Drangell set a trap and the Rooks were waiting for the adventurers. Eventually the adventurers drove out the Rooks from their hidden tunnel, but found the cell they were guarding to be empty, except for a bloodstained toy songbird. (Drangell would always call Cosima a songbird)
* For a week, the catapult fire and arrow showers are significantly reduced as Sir Davard does not wish to risk harm to Cosima due to her unknown whereabouts.
* Drangell makes his demands known to Davard for the return of Cosima, which involve Davard taking his army and returning back to Talador. If he does not, then he will murder Cosima.
* News came from the County of Torre that the City of Fairport had suffered many causalities against the krolvin, but had begun to slowly retake parts of their town. The fate of Count Claybourne remained unknown, some speculating his wounds had finally claimed his life. River's Rest continued to see an ongoing krolvin assault, spillover from the battle raging in Maelstrom Bay.
* Days pass and the barrage of invasions slows down with Cosima's location unknown. One night the Brotherhood of Rooks boards up Wayside Inn, dragging everyone out who was lingering inside. On the roof of Wayside Inn, Drangell and some Rooks appear with Cosima, garbed in a stained wedding dress and her hands and arms bound to her side. Sir Davard and some Taladorian archers appear at the edge of the Lower Dragonsclaw forest, as a large group of adventurers stand in the middle, near the Inn. Drangell demands Davard's answer, but the knight refuses to negotiate with Drangell and his band of criminals. For all to see, Drangell guts Cosima and then has oil and fire poured on her, and her body is engulfed in flames, her agonized screams echoing through the night. Wehnimer's archers and Taladorian archers fire on Drangell and his Rooks, kill some of the criminals, and injure Drangell who escapes out of sight. Upon witnessing Cosima's death, Sir Davard collapses to his knees, screaming for her. Taladorian soldiers grab up their leader and drag him off into the protection of the forest.
* For days, Davard is not seen on the field of battle, but Taladorian forces are enraged and renew their daily attacks and catapult fire on Wehnimer's Landing.
* Radeek, effected by the blue specks in his eyes, has a vision of Davard storming through his pavilion and out behind it, tossing his golden-bladed sword, supposedly blessed by Koar, to the ground. He approached the back a black wagon hidden behind his tent. Lying in wait, was the witch Raznel who beckoned for Davard to join her, and use her against Wehnimer's Landing.
* Days later, minions of the witch Raznel begin to attack Wehnimer's Landing. Deathworms and maggots burrow up from the ground, while the Landing's dead militiamen rise up and attack adventurers. Ghost wolves and other undead assault the town as well, and on numerous occasions magic is temporarily nullified in the streets of the town, making fighting off the invaders incredibly challenging.
* Taladorian forces continued to attack Wehnimer's Landing, and Drangell handed out some small red crystal orbs to many defenders who wished to use them against the invaders. The orbs once belonged to Grishom Stone, and could be activated to explode with fiery results. The orbs eventually became property of the officials of Wehnimer's Landing, but months prior the Brotherhood of Rooks had stolen a wagon full of them from the town.
* Meanwhile, in Teras, krolvin continued to launch attacks on Kharam Dzu and strengthen their hold on the beaches of the island, adding more slaves to their camps. Krolvin ships could be seen arriving and leaving the Island, presumably stopping to restock or get repaired.
* Adventures planned to retake the Gryphon Holding and split into three groups. One group remains in town to defend the gates, while a second group launches an assault on the Gryphon Holding to act as a distraction. The third group digs a tunnel from a mine near Lyserian Hills into the tunnels beneath the Holding, where an old dwarven forge was once operated. Back in town, the first group had to defend against a host of Sheruvians attacking, while the assault groups on the Gryphond Holding faced various threats. After a long battle, the Holding was recaptured and the siege engines on top of it were destroyed. Prisoners were rescued, but no sign of Davard was found inside of the keep. However, in the tunnels beneath the Holding, the adventurers discovered evidence of dark magic and blood rituals, and other symbols indicating Raznel had been there performing sacrifices. The following day, Grand Magister Pylasar examine the tunnel and the witch's handiwork with a handful of adventurers who led him down there.
* Hearing the news of the presence of the witch, rumored to be associated now with Davard, a faction of the Taladorian forces broke camp and left the battle, returning home to Talador. Those who had left had been the priests and zealots who were devout Koar worshippers, and deemed any involvement with a dark witch to be reprehensible.
* Taladorian forces discovered a way into the Burrow Way and began to use part of the Rooks' tunnels to spring up in the middle of town, attacking the adventurers and townspeople. After a few nights of ongoing battles in the streets and tunnels, Drangell strapped on a backpack full of crimson orbs, activate them all at once, and used them to collapse a length of the tunnels that led to the coastal cliffs. He was presumably buried in the rubble or blown to bits. With the tunnel collapsed, the Taladorians had no other entrance into the passageway and up into town.
* Hapenlok, effected by the blue specks in his eyes, has a vision of Davard being drunk and downtrodden and consulting Raznel for aid. In the vision Raznel communicates that due to her location being found under the Gryphon Holding, she is leaving the area because the Hall of Mages will come for her. Raznel then instructs Davard to strike at the "heart of Wehnimer's Landing."
* Meanwhile, in Icemule Trace, defenders fought a long battle beneath the town and thwarted the sect of Arcane Eyes in their attempt to summon the fire elemental Thaw. In the end, the last of the Thaw followers were destroyed and their threat to Icemule Trace and Elanthia extinguished.
* In a raid on the Taladorian camp, the orc Thrayzar led a group of adventurers to strike the siege engineers and builders who were asleep in their tents. The Taladorian crafters were slaughtered and a number of siege engines destroyed. Without their builders to craft or repair, the constant catapult fire over Wehnimer's Landing ceased.
* Glyhne, effected by the blue specks in her eyes, has a vision of Lord Thermon and the original Lord Kuligar discussing politics, when Thermon reveals he knows that Kuligar is have a secret affair with Saralyn, the wife of a Jantalarian captain. Thermon agrees to be quiet about it, and back Kuligar for Baron, if Kuligar will open up the abandoned mines once he is Baron to explore the rumors of "blood marble" existing within their depths, as told to him by the witch Raznel.
* Dendum, effected by the blue specks in his eyes, has a vision of the original Kuligar riding out into a forest near Talador to meet his secret lover Saralyn, but is being stalked by Deylan. Kuligar hears a sound in the forest, sees Deylan's orange eyes and races his horse into the forest. The steed's leg twists on a branch, Kuligar is thrown from his head and his neck snaps on a tree. Deylan approaches the body and shapeshifts into Kuligar's appearance, just as Saralyn spots the entire event from nearby. Saralyn tries to run, but Deylan silences her to keep his secret. Deylan then secretly moves both bodies back to the area around Wehnimer's Landing, dropping the corpses into a seemingly bottomless ravine on the Glatoph.
* Sir Davard launches a massive attack on Wehnimer's Landing, with Taladorian forces hitting hard and driving deep into the town. The Taladorians forces are split, dividing their attacks against the House of Phoenix, where innocent town refugees hid, and at the Wellington Home, the town's orphanage. Groups of adventurers rally at each location, sweating, bleeding and dying as they fight to defend the town and its innocent people. During the hours of battle, the Taladorians get the upper hand a few times, once even invading House Phoenix and setting it on fire, killing a number of the townspeople who were hidden inside. Near the end of the battle, Mayor Walkar and Sir Davard clashed in the streets and rooftops of Wehnimer's Landing, the power of their armors causing devastation around them, as each fought to overcome the other. Many times Davard got the upper hand on Walkar, dealing him critical blows, which the mayor only healed from quickly. During the battle between Walkar and Davard, Walkar was able to shatter his sword and break his armor, finally leaving Davard vulnerable. Taladorian archers constantly fired on Walkar, allowing Davard to escape and regroup with his men. In a final attack, Davard led his forces on the orphanage but then threw down a weapon he had found. He called upon Koar, shouting for him to smite the wicked and to forgive him for his association with the witch. Feeling scorned by his Arkati, Davard surrendered and told those present that he was not a butcher of children. Davard was then captured and taken to the town's prison and the Taladorian forces were pushed back.
* The following night Taladorian forces launched another massive attack on Wehnimer's Landing, trying to free Sir Davard from the prison, unaware he had willingly surrendered. A large battle ravaged across the town for hours, as townspeople and heroes fought alongside each other. In the midst was also Mayor Walkar, his cursed armor acting out wildly and incinerating Taladorians in his way. Walkar began to lose control over his actions, lost into a berserker rage and not very responsive to those trying to talk to him as he ran headlong into the fray. The battle went back and forth for a long time until a Taladorian archer shot an arrow into the side of Walkar's bloodhound, Winston. Walkar's voice could be heard, twisted and demonic, echoing across the town and declaring he would kill every last one of the Taladorians. Gathering a group with him, Walkar led them to the Taladorian camp and summoning power from his armor, destroyed the wooden blockade outside the camp. Calling on new demonic powers, Walkar began igniting tents and Taladorian soldiers on fire, slaughtering them all as they tried to flee. Many adventurers rushed to face off against Walkar, demanding he stop and let their enemy retreat. Walkar did not budge and continued to slaughter Taladorians as they begged for mercy. He was eventually killed by some local heroes and defenders, but each time he would rise again, stronger and more determined. Before everyone's eyes, he transformed into a creature of death, covered in sinewy bones, jagged plates, and bloody tendons. Meteors had even been conjured over the camp, but Walkar summoned a blast of crimson energy that destroyed them before landing on him. With the Taladorian camp in flames and hundreds of soldiers and squires dead, Walkar marched back to Wehnimer's Landing where he rose an army of undead militiamen and began setting Wehnimer's on fire. Many reported hearing a whisper, sounding like Walkar saying, "I'm sorry," before the Mayor, turned Abomination led his new undead army to the south, marching beyond the Upper Trollfang. With Walkar and the Taladorians gone, Wehnimer's Landing was left nearly in ruins.
Chapter Three: The Face of Evil
Lumnea 5114 (June, 2014)
* Earl Jovery approved of Judge Renpaw's request to put Davard on trial in Wehnimer's Landing, with the stipulation that the Earl would appoint the other two judges, as the tribunal would fall under imperial justice. Earl Jovery nominated Grand Magister Pylasar to serve as a second judge, and upon the recommendation of Baroness Delphinuria of Jantalar, the third judge would become Lord Lheren Hochstib, the bastard son of Lerep Hochstib and a Second Watcher in the Church of Koar. The trial was being held due to allegations of Davard's involvement with the witch Raznel and her dark and blood magic, which is forbidden in the Empire.
* Adventurers in Wehnimer's Landing spent weeks helping the survivors of the war clear rubble and other debris from the streets of the town, many lost items and bodies being found in the rubble.
* Thrayzar took up a more permanent role in Wehnimer's Landing, after Marshal Khylon was injured and left in a weakened state after the war. The orc dedicated most of his time to helping recruit new militia members and train them.
* A donation bin for the victims of the war in Wehnimer's Landing was setup outside of Moot Hall, accepting coins and gems.
* Councilman Stephos DeArchon held a memorial service at Halcyon Hills, for those who had died during the war. At the end of the ceremony, many reported having seen the manifestation of Gosaena appear on the lake, embracing many souls of the fallen.
* North Hendor is attacked as hordes of ice creatures and some undead descend from the Dragonspine Mountains, destroying some farms and settlements and launching raids on the city walls of Lolle.
* Marshal Khylon honors some adventurers during the battle against Talador, naming them all Defenders of Wehnimer's Landing. They are Evia, Rhayveign, Duonegra, Archales, Rowmi, Glyhne, Ephya, Stormyrain, Rtune, Radeek, Droit, Phever, Alasatia and Bekke. Many in town begin to call Dendum the Wind in the Willow, as they turned to his words and parchments for leadership. In Talador there were some adventurers named Brigands of Talador, and they were Grhim, Ondreian, Turinrond and Wolfloner.
* Heavy fighting continued in Fairport and still spilled into River's Rest. The health of County Claybourne of Torre remained unknown, and the defenders in the County began to see some victories, pushing a lot of the krolvin back out to the water, where their battle still raged.
* Adventurers help lead Wehnimer's refugees back from Icemule Trace, guiding them back home to the Landing.
* Lheren Hochstib arrived to Wehnimer's Landing, fending off some paranoia, scorn and many questions. Lheren was almost drowned by Lerep Hochstib as a boy, but his aunt Delphinuria insisted he instead be sent off to the Church of Koar, after giving up any claim to family power and the throne of Jantalar. Moving up within the church, Lheren became an instructor at an academy in Nydds, teaching on religious and imperial law, and eventually became a Second Watcher of the Church of Koar, where he meted out justice in the name of the Church. Lheren expressed his lifelong desire to break out from the dark shadow of his father's tainted legacy.
* A large detachment of the krolvin fleet on the western sea was spotted moving south, expected to possibly strike the County of Allace or the Earldom of Estoria.
* Dwarven workers setup wooden foundations in Wehnimer's Landing as adventurers helped to chop down trees and build temporary homes for the townspeople displaced during the war.
* Davard's trial began. The first night saw witnesses come forward with statements. They were Metadi, Rowmi, Puptilian, Rhayveign, Aurla, Fealoke, Flapjack, Hapenlok, Demyse, Lylia, Svantai, Sareyna, Elbromo, Dendum, Masrath ,Bristenn, Rozy, Tyrrah, Grhim, and Ratclaws.
* The second night of Davard's trial saw more witnesses, including Malik, Ephya, Raelee, Nimyala, Dergoatean, Juramis, Turinrond, Radeek, Geijon, Jeril and Neelin.
* The third night of Davard's trial saw additional witnesses, who were Rtune, Wintersylph, Falvicar, Vultieri, Naraz, Shallimar, Ichiko, Heathyr and Doryan.
* On the fourth night of the trial, Davard gave his statement. Before his statements, most evidence had been presented against him came in the form of visions, but in the end he admitted his own guilt and in turn accused the Church of Koar of being complacent and allowing the darkness of their enemies to grow and that they too should be on trial and burn right along with him. He also claimed Lord Thermon was corrupt and had an alliance with the witch Raznel and has made him bring her along to the war. He was then escorted back to his cell to await the verdict days later.
* On the final night of Davard's trial, the three judges revealed their verdict and found Davard guilty of his crimes and his punishment was being stripped of his title and land and then be burned at the stake, where they would pray to Koar to prevent his soul from entering into Koargard and wander the frozen waste beyond it for eternity. That same night, Davard's execution was carried out, where a crowd of people gathered outside of Moot Hall. Many watched on as Davard was burned at the stake.
* Two days after Davard's execution, Lheren Hochstib tells the adventurers he will be riding to Talador with some inquisitors to pursue the accusations made by Davard about Lord Thermon and his corruption and alliance with Raznel the witch.
* Balantine had a vision of a massive krolvin fleet attacking Idolone, the capital of Estoria, but being resisted by a huge imperial naval force. Despite the back and forth conflict, Balantine's vision showed Madelyne, the urnon golem, slipping into Idolone's keep and assassinating Earl Hurrst of Estoria, the very man who had once tried to wage war on Wehnimer's Landing.
* Grand Magister Pylasar recruited some sorcerers to animate troll kings and gather outside of the black woods near Trollfang, where they believed Walkar and his undead to be. Acting on a theory, Pylasar asked the sorcerers Lylia, Dergoatean, Starcrye, Linsha and Rozy to send their animated trolls into the woods. After some concentration, their trolls were able to pass through the barrier protecting the forest, but their connection was quickly severed. Minutes later, the undead troll kings charged through from the other side, deformed and now on a killing spree. They were eventually killed, but their attack had penetrated the forest's barrier from the inside out, allowing adventurers to enter what is now dubbed the Deadfall forest. Inside were all manners of grotesque creatures, from undead Taladorians and Wehnimer's militiamen, to necrotic snakes, deformed dark gnomes, and fiendish imps. The forest also released a host of spores that same night, which eventually descended on Wehnimer's Landing and exploded when destroyed, killing many people.
* Grand Magister Pylasar returned to the Hall of Mages in the Swale to reveal everything he had learned of the Deadfall.
* While at the Festival of Lumnea in Ta'Illistim, Ridic had a vision of Lord Thermon hanging himself in his own chambers in Talador, after he learned that the Second Watcher Lheren Hochstib and some inquisitors were coming to Talador to investigate him. Mere moments after Lord Thermon took his last breath, two miners arrive to his home bringing a chunk of "blood marble" found in the abandoned mines, the first real proof the stone existed.
* It is learned Balantine and Ridic's visions were true, as reports traveled up from the Empire that krolvin were engaged in fighting at Idolone and Earl Hurrst had been assassinated. In addition, Lord Thermon's suicide was confirmed and with the absence of definite leadership beyond a council of nobles in Talador, the Baroness Delphinuria of Jantalar dispatched royal and military advisors to help Talador's leaders during the vacuum of power and the sudden revelation of blood marble, and the attention and demand it would bring.
* Grand Magister Pylasar returned to Wehnimer's Landing and informed the adventurers that the Provost of the Swale's Hall of Mages had agreed to allow temporary, and partially restricted access, to their structure. Pylasar established a portal (or a fog really) that allowed the adventurers to teleport to the Swale, where they could find portals inside of the Hall of Mages. Within the Hall, the portals led to Mestanir, Idolone, the Dragonspine Mountains, and the Demonwall. The adventurers were asked to help lend their spells and swords in fighting against all of the threats coming at the Turamzzyrian Empire all at once.
Koaratos 5114 (July, 2014)
* Battles continue to rage across the Empire, as adventurers through the portals in the Hall of Mages help defend critical areas in the DragonSpine Mountains, Mestanir, Idolone and the Demonwall.
* Athamael, a construct formed by the Order of Luukos in Vornavis, is spotted fighting against demons along the Demonwall, and later spied within the Hall of Mages archives seeking a book on ancient burial sites.
* Glethad, the museum curator from Wehnimer's Landing, revealed to also be afflicted with the blue specks in his eyes, is admitted to the Hall of Mages archives to begin additional research in to his theory that Grishom Stone, before his defeat, was trying to construct a plan or method to stop Althedeus, the Shadows, once and for all. It is speculated that because of his defiance, Althedeus abandoned Grishom and positioned Elithain Cross to be his new primary advocate for his dark plans.
* Councilman Stephos received a letter in a package on a shipment of supplies from Brisker's Cove. The letter explained that Elithain Cross would soon be visiting Wehnimer's Landing to extend them a historical invitation.
* Elithain Cross arrived in Wehnimer's Landing and admitted that he was the force behind uniting the enemies of the Turamzzyrian Empire, such as the krolvin, monster hordes, demons and undead and launching a massive war against the human lands in an attempt to overthrow the rulers and reform the nation. He claimed he would do away with the restrictions in place by the Hall of Mages and abolish Chaston's Edict, which places humans higher than non-humans. He said in the coming says he would return and accept any and all to his case, to his war for a better future.
* The Second Watcher of the Church of Koar, Lord Lheren Hochstib, returned briefly to Wehnimer's Landing after his short time in Talador following Lord Thermon's suicide. He revealed a black coral amulet to the masses, identical to the one Rinhale had used, and therefore must have been the second of the pair. Lheren expressed how the views within the amulet were very damaging and seemed skewed, and so he threw it at the wall outside of Moot Hall and shattered it, not wishing anymore religious fervor and witch hunts because of it. Lheren remained a few more days to rest, then left town.
* Imena, effected by the blue specks in her eyes, had a vision of black airships moving among the clouds and peaks along DragonSpine Mountains.
* The once abandoned silver mines in Talador reopened due to the new discovery of veins of blood marble. While it seemingly holds no magical properties, the blood marble, what small amount has been mined so far, has become in very high demand throughout the empire, as nobility seeks to claim and own the latest imperial craze.
* Elithain Cross releases missives to the rulers of the Elven Nations, calling upon them to join his war against the cruelty and racism of the Turamzzyrian Empire.
* Sir Toliman, a knight of the Order of the Golvern Star fights alongside some defenders on the Demonwall and tells them of the great fiery demon called the Wastewalker, who sometimes comes close enough to the wall to slay dozens of warriors.
* King Qalinor Vaalor, the ruler of Ta'Vaalor publically rejects Elithain Cross' invitation for war with the human empire.
* Small groups of townspeople began to meet with Thrayzar, the orc, as they discussed the invitation from Elithain Cross and sought to learn more and have their concerns addressed outside of mercenaries and adventurers equipped for such warfare.
* The Council of Thrones, with the backing of all Elven Houses, rejected Elithain Cross' invitation to war with the Turamzzurian Empire.
* Elithain Cross returned to Wehnimer's Landing to hear the town's answer to his invitation. A majority of the adventurers and townspeople openly opposed Cross. Upon his rejection, Cross lashed out at Wehnimer's Landing. Townspeople became possessed and turned on each other, as commoners were cut down in the streets, and even krolvin appeared on Darkstone Bay and attacked the town.
* Those with blue specks in their eyes began to describe feeling strange sensations, as if sharing in the physical pain Grishom Stone was suffering from, in addition to overhearing voices.
* After the Great Elven Houses rejected Elithain Cross, a large group of Nalfein elves rebelled in their city and were cast out of their homes, declared exiles in the Elven Nations. That particular group of Nalfein elves, led by Zyndur, once aided Wehnimer's Landing against the krolvin Krentuk when he possessed the Star of Khar'ta, and later against the Rooks and the Lich King Barnom Slim. It was learned that Zyndur had become obsessed with discovering if the Star of Khar'ta still existed and where to find it, that he was overthrown as the leader among his Nalfein group and replaced by Nysina as the commander. The Nalfein elves then named themselves Shades of the Rose and declared their alliance with Elithain Cross.
* Some of the Lichborn gathered, and it is speculated they renewed their oaths to the Shadows, the force behind Barnom Slim and rumored to be behind Elithain Cross. In a ritual in the Lower Dragonsclaw, they slaughtered dozens of entranced kobolds and offered up some of their own blood to the soil of the forest. Soon bats descended from the black skies, each creature having a face of one of the lichborn Bellaja, Raincail or Cruxophim. The bats attacked Wehnimer's Landing, eventually defeated.
* Elithain Cross returns and a number of adventurers take a blood oath to join his alliance in the war to crush and reform the Turamzzyrian Empire. Over the coming weeks, over 35 adventurers take the same oath. Radeek refuses the oath, and is tossed aside. He immediately warned other heroes of what happened with the oath, and was then warned his punishment would be coming.
* Walkar invades from the Deadfall forest, attacking the town with his undead minions and declaring the adventurers his enemy.
* Aralyte of the Palestra arrives in Wehnimer's Landing, apparently at the beckon of a note left for her from Pylasar over two hundred years ago to come to that town on that day. Aralyte then explains that she has been studying ways to unravel Althedeus for ages. She was once assigned to a powerful Faendryl sorcerer whom she also fell in love with. The sorcerer once made contact with Althedeus and helped to raise the Blood Island in the arctic waters near Glaoveln, where Grishom Stone eventually inherited his powers. Aralyte spoke of many myths and legends surrounding Althedeus, from tehiri and sylvan concepts, and that it was a creature born of chaos from the Drakes and Ur'Daemons but could not survive in the natural plane and likely sought a host body that could contain its powers.
* Grand Magister Pylasar led a group into the Deadfall forest to capture one of the spores seen in the dark woods, in preparation for a plan to try to help cure or stop Walkar in his abomination form. Many heroes and those loyal to Cross clashed in the forest, but eventually a spore was captured in a magical jar by Pylasar and given to Raelee to hold onto and study for the time being.
* Elithain Cross returns again to recruit more followers, and it is said those who joined Cross set about burning the ballista logs stocked in all of Wehnimer's Landing defense towers.
* Nysina, the Nalfein commander, arrives with her Airship and Nalfein elves. The guards on the airship permit only those sworn to Elithain Cross aboard her ship. When asked why she arrived, Nysina comments she is there to keep an eye on things progressing in Wehnimer's Landing.
* Undead children poured out of the Deadfall forest, attacking Wehnimer's Landing at the command of Walkar.
* In the flames of the fire place in the Stone Baths, Grishom Stone was seen by a handful of adventurers encased with a network of bloody tendrils, and a red robed figure was seen to be torturing him and eventually revealed to be the summoner Nysorm. Nysorm and his lover Arleasta once worked for Grishom, who eventually seduced Arleasta and made her pretend to be Odilia back in 5111 before she met a cruel end. Nysorm never forgave Grishom and had seemingly allied himself with Elithain Cross.
* Merchant ships from Vornavis arrived at the docks of Wehnimer's Landing and silver-eyed townspeople, under Elithain's possession, attacked the ships and merchants and were joined by members of the Brotherhood of Rooks. The ships were set on fire, and adventurers were able to finally put them out, allowing the ships to escape the docks and sail back home to Vornavis, mostly intact.
* Rosalyn, an undead zombie girl was encountered by many adventurers in Wehnimer's Landing and believed she was still alive, and was offered aid by many of the heroes.
* Walkar launched another wave of undead children at the gates and walls of Wehnimer's Landing. After wave and wave of zombie children, Kiske and Eshielle ran to the edge of the Deadfall forest and Kiske pleaded for Walkar to stop, knowing he once had feelings for her. Soon a large crowd gathered outside of the Deadfall forest, and Walkar half appeared within the shadows. In the end, he turned back to the forest and released the undead children so that their spirits could be released, showing that perhaps not all of him was lost to the shadows.
* Elithain Cross gathered his followers and led them through a portal to the depths of Zul Logoth near a waterfall in the Zaerthu Tunnels. Those loyal to him offered their blood to the soil in a dark ritual, and soon Phever appeared from the shadows, summoned by Elithain's magic. Phever was bound and Elithain used his dagger to scar her face during the ritual, drawing power from her pain and the blood of those present to summon forth a huge cache of shadowy black mein golems that Grishom Stone had once buried there. The golems marched, seemingly endlessly, into magical portals taking them to the edges of the Turamzzyrian Empire and another unknown locations. Elithain discarded Phever back in Wehnimer's Landing after their ritual was completed.
* Waves of undead and other creatures marched on the walls and environs of Wehnimer's Landing, as loyalists to Elithain Cross met in a dark sea cave with the recently returned witch, Raznel. Giving of their blood to the witch's magic, the crone presented a cloth doll in the likeness of Raelee and through a ritual was able to curse the Magister through the item, sealing off her magic.
* Svantai, afflicted with the curse of the blue speckled eyes, suffered from a vision showing a host of shadowy black golems upon the peaks of DragonSpine mountains, building a vast amount of elven airships, schematics presumed to be provided by Nysina and her Nalfein crew.
* Baron Malwind of Vornavis released a scathing announcement towards Wehnimer's Landing, cutting of all shipments to the town via ship or over land because of the increased hostility of townspeople towards imperial citizens. The Baron declared he would still do business with the town, but they would need to send their own ships or wagons to take the supplies back to town, putting all of the risk on themselves.
* Councilman Stephos DeArchon setup two petitions in Wehnimer's Landing for the townspeople and adventurers to vote if they supported closing off the portals to the Swale and avoiding the war between Cross and the Empire, or if they wished to keep the portals open and aid the Empire in the defense against Cross.
Phoenatos 5114 (August, 2014)
* As undead and dark forces marched on the gates of Wehnimer's Landing, Nysina's airship lifted off from the Glatoph, seeming to move east towards the Dragonspine Mountains. The next morning it was learned that an elven airship attacked Kestrel Keep on the coastline of Tamzzyr, and a group of assassins' infiltrated the fortress, killing dozens of imperial soldiers and Earl Kestrel himself. House Kestrel heads the Hall of Mages, and Earl Berniah Kestrel lived a life of luxury and influence in a region near his borders of Chastonia. After his death, the Earl's brother, the Royal Magister and advisor to the Emperor was named the acting Earl in the interim. The shock of an imperial ruler killed so close to the heart of the empire rippled throughout the lands.
* After the assassination of Earl Kestrel, the Nalfein airship did not return to Wehnimer's Landing, and it was rumored Nysina was captured during the operation and held by imperial forces and the Hall of Mages.
* Rosalyn, the undead child, was seen in town, while many adventurers tried to help her end her existence of undeath. In the end, she lashed out and took some of Radeek's blood, proving to be just another dark minion of Elithain Cross. The zombie child gave the blood to Turinrond, who in turn eventually returned the vial of blood to Radeek, although many doubted if it was indeed his blood.
* Stephos DeArchon, as interim mayor, reinstalled Juramis as a councilman to fill his old position of overseeing the Merchant's Guild. Days later outside of Moot Hall, Stephos announced he would be keeping the portals to the Swale open as the townspeople had voted in support of continued aid to the Turamzzyrian Empire. In addition, he would be investigating the rumors of Earl Kestrel's assassins hiding in or near Wehnimer's Landing. But shortly after his declaration, Madmountan, Turinrond, Malik and Darcthundar all admitted to being responsible for the death of the Earl. Stephos had them all tarred and feathered and banished from the town.
* With the portal to the Swale remaining open, Chastonian forces were commanded by the Royal Magister to make their soldiers presence known in Wehnimer's Landing, helping to aid the town militia in protecting the streets and defending against their shared enemies. In addition to the extra security, it was said that Chastonian forces would be working to investigate additional parties involved in Earl Kestrel's murder.
* Seeking Bristenn's blood, Raznel offered to break Raelee's curse in exchange for it. The mage Malvernus, along with a group of adventurers, sprang a trap on Raznel, as those loyal to Cross sprang to her defense. In the end, Raznel lost the voodoo doll and was nearly engulfed by fire from Malvernus as she tried to escape, some claiming she died, while others saying they knew better. The voodoo doll was eventually burned, breaking the curse of anti-magic.
* Days later, Grand Magister Pylasar showed up in Wehnimer's Landing with a sack full of additional voodoo dolls, later to be revealed to have been crafted by Raznel in the likeness of Hapenlok, Rtune, Sareyna, Rowmi, Ephya, Bekke, Imena and even a loyalist to Cross, Masrath. The dolls were handed over to their rightful owners. Pylasar went on to explain that Raelee's doll was more easily destroyed because it was indeed a weaker version of the curse placed months before on Seomanthe, Kiske, Maags and Cruxophim. The general consensus was that while the magic was weaker and far quicker in duration, it was more easily done on a wider level of people, which demonstrated Elithain Cross had plans to target the Hall of Mages, making them temporarily vulnerable to whatever he had in mind.
* Unbeknownst to the public, Stephos pardoned the banishments of Madmountan, Turinrond, Malik and Darcthundar. This action was not revealed until days later.
* Grand Magister Pylasar revealed to some gathered in the Stone Baths that he thought it might be possible to perform some kind of ritual to trace the connection to those with the blue speckled eyes back to Grishom Stone to determine his location. Having no desire to dabble with such a ritual that might involve blood magic, Pylasar encouraged adventurers to work with Glethad in organizing such a feat.
* Magister Remulaid from the Swale was found lost in the Lower Dragonsclaw forest after wandering through the purple fog and out into the woods outside of Wehnimer's Landing. He was eventually returned back to the fog, where Vleg, the known assassin working for Raznel, struck him down. He was resurrected by adventurers and safely escorted home.
* Black sails were seen on Darkstone Bay, and krolvin warships were spotted coming near Wehnimer's Landing. Shortly thereafter, Alendrial DeArchon was heard on the amulet screaming for help. Adventurers burst into the DeArchon home and found krolvin swarming the house. They found Alendrial in her bedroom upstairs and killed all of the krolvin and rescued her. Alendrial then revealed that she could not protect Stephos any longer. Alendrial informed those present that she had learned of Stephos involvement with helping to create the Brotherhood of Rooks and pass along funds to Drangell and their members, and she herself had helped tend to some of the wounded Rooks during the Talador war. But Alendrial could not stand by any longer knowing that her husband was involved with krolvin. Alendrial was then escorted to Icemule Trace for her safety. Beneath the DeArchon home, adventurers discovered a large cache of weapons that matched the ones krolvin had been using and the Rooks had been smuggling to them for months. Stephos was found asleep in the town council chambers in Moot Hall and confronted about his duplicity, to which he finally confessed his crimes of arming the krolvin and funding the Rooks. He was apprehended and moved to a cell within the Gryphon's Holding to await punishment for his crimes.
* Late one evening, at the Eternal Flame in Halcyon Hills, a ritual was performed by Ravashaak and Sarvia, with willing participants of Radeek, Stormyrain, Rtune, Svantai, Hapenlok, Geijon, Imena and Glethad giving their blood to help strengthen the ritual. Many allies and friends stood on to help protect those who gave their blood in the ritual, to guard against any threats. During the ritual, Ravashaak's mind was propelled into the flames, calling upon the strength of others to move through the link formed to Grishom Stone. Visions of Svantai, Hapenlok and Geijon's past, even his own, provided obstacles for Ravashaak to overcome. In the end, it was revealed Grishom was enclosed within a network of bloody tendrils stretched out from a wall of living, shifting flesh, where his blood and powers fueled hundreds of silver eyes as a giant, macabre scrying device. Furthermore, his location was determined to be somewhere within a white marble manor in the city of Brisker's Cove, which many presumed was home of Lord Eldurn Winter. In the end, the blue speckled eyes faded from those who had given their blood.
* Following the blood ritual to locate Grishom Stone, the night became alive with shadows as nightmarish creatures were pulled from the minds of some of those who participated in the ritual and descended on Wehnimer's Landing. Shadowy creatures, wights, gargoyles and other manners of foul beasts attacked Wehnimer's Landing and launched simultaneous attacks on shrines all over, striking at those of Lorminstra, Kai, Voln and Ronan. The black trees of the forest reached their branches out, drinking the blood rain from the sky, and massive fires broke out in the forest and in the town of Wehnimer's, as krolvin forces made a powerful strike at Idolone, eventually pushed back by local adventurers.
* Councilman Juramis began to reach out to Mayor Nihala of Icemule Trace to begin additional trade agreements to help make up for the lack of goods being gained more easily from Vornavis. To help with this, Juramis led a group of adventurers on several incursions to drive out bandits between Wehnimer's and Icemule, helping to keep the trade route safer.
* Grand Magister Tayeros arrived in Wehnimer's Landing aboard his ship the Celestine. Guards on the ship prevented all of those loyal to Elithain Cross from boarding it. Tayeros was assigned to Wehimer's Landing to help investigate the murder of Earl Kestrel, and it was later learned he was the one who had captured Nysina and later admitted to torturing her for information. Over the course of the next few weeks, Tayeros apprehended and interrogated a number of suspects in the attack on Kestrel Keep.
* Earl Jovery, the Northern Sentinel, sent a letter to Khylon and Thrayzar that he had dispatched a squad of Hendoran soldiers led by Sir Thadston to come to Wehnimer's Landing and escort Stephos to the courts of Tamzzyr to go on trial for his crimes against the Turamzzyrian Empire. Days later, the Hendoran soldiers and Sir Thadston arrived and Stephos was released from the Gyphon Holding and handed over to his escort, but not before he warned the Landing against future imperial occupation and influence and pleading for his wife to be kept safe. He also revealed Lord Winter had been the source of the funds he had channeled to the Rooks and that he used to acquire weapons for the krolvin.
* The gypsy fortuneteller foretold visions of many local adventurer's futures, or possibilities therefor. Few ended well.
* Days later, Sir Thadston and Hendoran soldiers arrived in Wehnimer's Landing, claiming to have been waylayed by bandits on the road and had been delayed in picking up Stephos to escort back to the Empire. Stephos' trickery was then revealed, as it was learned the adventurers handed over Stephos to a band of Rooks disguised as Hendoran knights, and the ex-councilman and imperial criminal had escaped, destination unknown. After some disbelief and sharp words towards the citizens of Wehnimer's, Sir Thadston and his soldiers rode off into the night in hopes of tracking down Stephos and his accomplices.
* Grand Magister Pylasar, Glethad and Malvernus showed and led a large group of adventurers onto the deck of the Celestine, which he claimed he "borrowed" from Tayeros. The ship set sail into Darkstone Bay with the intention of going to Brisker's Cove and raiding Winter Manor. Once far away from town, Pylasar conjured purple fog that permitted the Celestine to quickly travel the distance between Darkstone Bay and Brisker's Cove. Once the Celestine docked at Brisker's Cove, groups of adventurers flooded into the city and came upon Winter Manor on the top of a hill overlooking the bay. After hours of traps, dark spirits, puzzles, hidden passages, blood tunnels and sea caves, the adventurers finally discovered a secret lair beneath the Manor where Grishom Stone was held captive inside of a network of bloody tendrils. The adventurers were confronted by Nysorm, who warned them not to release Grishom as he was a monster, but his warnings were ignored and Nysorm was killed, his body eventually consumed by shadows. The adventurers gathered destroyed dozens of the silver eyes in the wall of flesh, and hacked and slashed before they cut free all of the tendrils around Grishom, finally freeing him. The manor itself began to tear apart as Malvernus, who had been distracting enemy forces above, began to unleash powerful magic to rip the building and its dungeons apart. Gathered in the chamber, were enemies, victims, and allies of Grishom, all of whom had little choice in the matter and knew there was no going back. The adventurers led Grishom out of the crumbling manor and back onto the deck of the Celestine, where everyone sailed back to Wehnimer's Landing.
* With Grishom Stone freed, Elithain Cross no longer had access to his powerful scrying device, and it was warned that his wrath would be unmerciful because of this victory for the heroes. Grishom Stone taken into Pylasar's custody and housed within the Coven's brass tower near the east side of Wehnimer's Landing. Town guards were placed outside, and the gate was locked up. Pylasar later revealed to others that he had placed magical bracers on Grishom, which would not harm him, but he could easily be tracked by the purple mage himself. Many requested an audience with Grishom, to which Pylasar said that would be allowed, once he had more time to heal. When Grishom was rescued, hundreds of scars disfigured his body, and his eyes had been missing. It was later learned that Grishom had once infused himself with Drangell's everblood, so now that he was freed from the endless torture and mutilation of Nysorm, his wounds had slowly began to heal, but his mind was still reeling from his prolonged enslavement and abuse. Many speculated and worried about what new dangers Grishom Stone would present, and if he could truly be trusted to end the threat of the Shadows.
Chapter Four: Demon Rising
The final chapter! Coming in September! Buy deeds.
Waylayer of Wehnimer's Landing
This message was originally posted in Quests/Sagas/Events, Cross Into Shadows. To discuss the above, follow the link below.