Prev_page Previous 1
Is it tacky for a name to... 02/26/2018 02:13 AM CST
So I was looking at name generators and lists hoping to find a name I like that somehow was also available. That's a lot harder than it sounds. So I write down like 15 names and go see if any of them are available. I don't google the names I picked off the list beforehand, I just pick whichever names catch my eye and that I'd be happy to wear in Elanthia. So I make my character and in a somewhat miraculous event one of the names I liked is free. So I start playing him and think I should google the name and see if it's been used in a book or something. It ends up being a Skyrim companion's name(Marcurio). My question is, I like this name a lot but will it be looked down on or immersion breaking if I use it to others?

tl;dr Is it acceptable to use names from books/games/movies?
Re: Is it tacky for a name to... 02/26/2018 02:25 AM CST
It depends. If you are Drizzt or some variation? Super tacky. Or something super well known? But there is nothing wrong with getting inspiration from the names of a minor character in a not so well known book/movie/game. Your example, Marcurio? Id never even guess it was from a game or book. And I played a lot of Skyrim :)

Just..please..for the love of all thats holy...do not put SNAKE/WAR/DARK in your name. And please dont use a word like...Invincible or Sarcasm or Nothing. This is just my personal taste, but those are tacky.

Berbels shrilly exclaims, "Ise takings hims tos secretses lairses!"

Berbels grabs you and drags you east.
Re: Is it tacky for a name to... 02/26/2018 02:45 AM CST
Given just how much fictional content is out there, it's arguably inevitable to run into some inadvertent overlap here and there. While seeing thirteen versions of Drizzt or Legolas gets really old, really fast, intentionally or unintentionally using lesser-known names from even popular works isn't something I'd ding anyone for. If you can come up with something original that isn't an eyesore, cool, but if not, whatever works (so long as it doesn't violate Policy 6).

I certainly wouldn't find Marcurio to be immersion-breaking for me.

---
Walsor Gryhm says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 16 silver coins for it."
You think to yourself, "This deal is getting worse all the time."
Re: Is it tacky for a name to... 02/26/2018 12:02 PM CST

I think the tacky ones are the ones that are instantly recognizable and part of pop culture. I don't think Marcurio fits that bill. It sounds like a great name!
Re: Is it tacky for a name to... 02/26/2018 06:52 PM CST
>It ends up being a Skyrim companion's name(Marcurio).

For what it's worth... I've been multi-tasking lately. As in, I have been replaying Skyrim while logged into GS.

As a person who literally has Skyrim up on her other screen right now...

... I would not have recognized that name. I wouldn't worry about it!

(PS - We all know Mjoll the Lioness is the best follower anyway.)

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: Is it tacky for a name to... 02/26/2018 08:15 PM CST
But only one of them is sworn to carry your burdens.
Re: Is it tacky for a name to... 02/26/2018 09:52 PM CST
Thanks for all the replies, I feel more confident that every Skyrim player isn't seeing my name and rolling their eyes now, which is a good thing.
A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 02/28/2018 11:54 AM CST
Since the subject came up here and during a recent Discord conversation, let's make a thing out of it. Since one of the parameters of our characters in-game is that each of us must have our own unique name, how did you come up with it? Also, how is your name pronounced? I know this topic has come up many times before, but frankly it's one that never fails to reveal some surprises, even with folks I've known in Elanthia forever only to find out I've been saying it wrong for decades, hah!

Give us your main character, your alt, your other alt or your whole cast list, whoever you feel like sharing!

For me, Ysharra is an NPC from a tabletop game that was loosely based in Melnibone, the main city of the Elric novels. Her name is two minor Elric characters (Yishana and Shaarilla) spliced and put together. It's pronounced like you would Yvette or Yvonne, so eeSHAHrah. It is most certainly not YES-sharra.

Your turn!

GK!
PS: GK- the origins of that lie in a chat room, as well. Long ago us Dark Alliance baddy bads and our friends had an AIM room of our own, and one day we discovered that we had two Karens in our midst, myself and another who was clearly much more EVIL. Thus, to quickly differentiate between our Karens, I was declared the Good Karen (GK) and she got her matching sobriquet. - Karen of the Good's added notes for thoroughness
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 02/28/2018 03:13 PM CST
Most of my character names are random, meaningless nonsense that I like the sound of and seem to fit the race/culture in my head.

My earliest character, Ravinder, might be the sole exception to this. It's an Indian name OOC, composed of two names, Ravi (the sun) and Indra (the King of Gods), and just happens to be a name I've always liked. When I first created him in 1995ish, I gave him a rather corny surname of "Sun-Star."

He went demonic when PC permadeath was still a thing, so I took the opportunity to quietly retcon his surname to "Alabyran" when I remade him later. And THAT name is inspired by the in-game abyran demon archetype. :)

Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 02/28/2018 03:15 PM CST

A somewhat SASSY dark elf with SAPPHIRE blue eyes. Sassy + Sapphire = Saffrey.

Pronounced Saf-free, as you would expect.

Silly yes? :)
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 02/28/2018 03:46 PM CST
Berkana (BEHR-KAHN-NA) comes from the Celtic rune of the same name. I was big into pulling a rune each morning when I woke up, and each evening when I went to bed at night, and that rune often "stuck" to my fingers.

I also liked that Berkana was symbolic of the birch tree, which yields in tempestuous storms; and that all of the feminine mysteries are contained within the rune.

It also was indicative of a fresh perspective, a good start — which I was doing after having hit a wall physically and emotionally with my warrior.

Add to that, it can symbolize a rebirth or a burst of creativity. Definitely changing from a square to a pure caster was a big adjustment, and her own personality just developed from there.

I liked that the Berkana rune frequently signals that, in personal relationships, emotional support, nurturing, and a "standing by" of loved ones is primary.

The warrior's name is identified as male, despite my having added an extra vowel to her name to more feminize it. One definition of the name amuses me:

"People with this name have a deep inner desire to create and express themselves, often in public speaking, acting, writing, or singing. They also yearn to have beauty around them in their home and work environment. They are excellent at analyzing, understanding, and learning. They tend to be mystics, philosophers, scholars, and teachers. Because they live so much in the mind, they tend to be quiet and introspective, and are usually introverts. When presented with issues, they will see the larger picture. Their solitary thoughtfulness and analysis of people and world events may make them seem aloof, and sometimes even melancholy."

I laugh because this is close/true to myself as well as the character.

~* Berkana *~

"Yet from those flames; No light, but rather darkness visible."
"The most obvious Truth is hidden deep within, and only you will ever know it."
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 02/28/2018 03:47 PM CST
These days I don't so much have a main as a shifting stable of personalities, some of which get significantly more airtime than others.

Gavrien was a product of my messing with letters to create an interesting/natural sounding fantasy variant of Gabriel. Later, after his personality was reasonably established and I was filling in some background, I discovered there are a number of Romani dialects where some form of gavran/garvan means raven or crow. That little nugget aligned nicely with his being half-Shakat (which have a somewhat Rom flavor in their documentation) and his appreciation for corvids. I wish that data had come first, but as retcons go, it's not bad. From an IC standpoint, his Faendryl mother chose the name based on a word for crow that she heard used in her travels with the Shakat. Pronunciation is, I think, fairly straightforward: GAV-ree-un

Nicolao was a product of my looking for unused and appealing-to-me variants of Nicholas. I tend to build a name out from how I want it to be shortened. The general habit in GS and abroad seems to be to shorten a name to the first 3-4 letters, so I just start with something I like there and add on for the final. I went through a whole lot of variations before I found one that wasn't taken, but they were all natural spellings in and of themselves, so I managed to get away without incurring the 'you really stretched hard to get that name' derision tax. From an IC standpoint, the name was likely given to him by his Mestaniri mentor-and-guardian when he was plucked off the streets as a child. Pronunciation: NEE-koh-laow

Mourne originated from my young goth self scrambling for an account name that I thought I could live with for a while, and I've slightly rolled my eyes at it in the many years since, but it is what it is. The character was initially rolled purely to camp the name in game to prevent potential confusion. It went through a few iterations that got little to no interaction or personality development, before finally settling on the current version several years ago. Their surname, Luthenes, was built out from their father's name (Luthevarian) rather than being a recurring family name, and is just something I made up that sounded good to me. From an IC standpoint, the name is a reflection of parental disappointment - their mother's grief at being abandoned and stuck with this abnormal child. Pronunciation: Guess. Hint, the E is silent.

Nayolan was a name I've used elsewhere as a general moniker or a specific character name, and comes from a fantasy language and setting I was writing in my teens, where the word means 'singer'. The root of it, Nayol, was part of the name of a character from Jo Clayton's novel Shadowplay (who was, in fact, a lizardman dancer and not a singer). I wanted to use the name again, new races were on their way around the time of the GS4 conversion, and the GS version of Nayolan bears absolutely no resemblance to previous other-game versions of Nayolan. Such is the way of things. If I hadn't had an interest in the brand-new Aelotoi, she probably would have been a half-elf. Pronunciation: NAY-uh-lan

Jossarian began as a faint seed of an idea based very loosely on Joscelin from Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel books, so the name has its roots in the same. It's mashed up with Yossarian, which is a name I've always had a liking for. Pronunciation: Joh-SAIR-ee-un

Most of my others are just "I just threw letters together and it looked/sounded good."

---
Walsor Gryhm says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 16 silver coins for it."
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 02/28/2018 04:13 PM CST
Talinvor came from an attempt at Talon, which to my chagrin was already used. That was me 15 years ago, trying to be wicked cool with a short and succinct name like Bleeds, Blades, Briars (wait... why did they all start with 'B'?)

Failing that course, I thought perhaps I could find something that would allow it to be more culture-ish. Tahlad led the Dhe'nar. How about combining Talon with Tahlad and add a glottal stop to make it more stand-out and dhe'nar-ish, So his name became Tah'lon.

But wait! GS doesn't allow an apostrophe in the first name (just the last)!

Ok ok, now what do I do?

In the meantime, brothers decided to make twin characters (we still grumble about that decision now). We came up with a mutually liked last name of Vorrith.

Surion Vorrith, Tal's twin ends up being named after a military helicopter. He liked the copter and the name.

So how to get Tah'lon Vorrith to work? Well, he is a bard. Bards have stage names and authors have noms-de-plume. I started writing a story, where he was incognito and on the spot - the first and last names got mashed together phonetically to make "Talinvor".

-==Social Media Stuff==-

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/talinvor

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/vorrith

http://tahlon.obsidiantower.com
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 02/28/2018 04:26 PM CST
Naamit is Hebrew for Bird. I wanted to roll a bard and was enamored with Hebrew language, history and culture when I rolled her up in 1996. Figured she might become a songbird!

In the real world, Naamit is pronounced nah-meet.
In GemStone, Naamit rhymes with vomit.
Naamit does not rhyme with damnit, dagnabbit.

I enjoy fantasizing about how a name can shape a person's personality and outcome, if at all. So far, none of my characters have 'lived up to their names,' despite initial intent.

When I was very young and interested in Greek mythology, I'd write fables with made-up Grecian-sounding names (or what I thought they'd sound like; typically contained 6-8 syllables). I purchased several baby name books in my teens and would use what I thought were exotic sounding names when writing. Chalk it up to being naive and curious; it was a source of exploration into cultures I knew little about. I still have an affinity for names and frequently roll up new characters as neat ones come to mind, either through origin or imagination.
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 02/28/2018 04:31 PM CST

Oh my goodness, such thoughtful replies. Okay so let's take another stab at Saffrey. We know why I picked the name but what about her parents?

So the elven word for sapphire is lule, eyed or having eyes is henib. So she could be Lulehenib (sapphire eyed) or Heniblule (having eyes of sapphire).
Having grown up in the West, her parents took to calling her Sapphire in the common tongue and more affectionately Saffrey.

Should she ever need to formally introduce herself, it would be as Heniblule. Pronounced He-nib-lou-lay.
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 02/28/2018 05:39 PM CST
Seems like I've done this before... but can't remember for sure. At any rate:

Starchitin (STAR-Chitin)- I ran a word through an anagram generator to get it. Is should be easy enough to figure out what word, but if you're having trouble figuring it out knowing that I'm a huge Marilyn Manson fan should help.

Sixle (SIX-L)- Comes from the name of a previous character of mine in GS that was her mother, Sixla. That name was literally a random set of letters I stringed together but years after creating her I learned Sixle is a German surname.

Toman (TOE-MAN)- I was looking for a name for my female warrior when this one came to mind and hit me hard. It was prefect for the butch female that loves violence I had in mind and she's really grown into it as the years have gone by.... she even treats men like most men treat women. It wasn't until much later I learned it was a currency in ancient Persia and Spanish for "they take".

Nishi (Nee-she)- This character was ment to be exceptionally flamboyant (and boy is he) and this name just kind of popped into my head when I came up with the concept. I liked that the name is (to me) androgynous, so you don't really know what he is until you LOOK at him and get an eye-full of his colorful, bright, and often gender-bending outfits.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 02/28/2018 06:18 PM CST
Most of my name inspiration for the past few years has come from a name generator program I wrote based upon letter combinations and logic which appeal to me personally. It generates a whole lot of garbage, an occasional interesting names, and lots of ideas that just beg to have a letter replaced here or there, a prefix or suffix added or subtracted, and suddenly you have an interesting seed.

Marijka started out as one of those, but I intentionally evolved it aiming for an Eastern European feel as I was in the mood for linguistic influences that are uncommon to me. Significantly later I googled it and discovered that it's actually a valid (if unusual, apparently) name in Dutch. The original pronunciation I had in mind, which was abandoned the same day, sounded very Russian or Lithuanian to my admittedly inexperienced ear.

Saepre, as well as the very similar Keprae, came fully formed from my name generator. I have a fondness for ae combinations, or more accurately, the æ dipthong, and this appears to come up disproportionately often in the file of generator-generated name suggestions which I keep as interesting ideas.

Aetammel has been around long enough that I don't recall entirely for certain, but I believe that it was a combination of two name generator suggestions. There's that uncommonly common æ again.

Kamiel predates my name generator entirely. I believe it was made up from whole cloth, but it may have been influenced by existing names at some point. I've been using it for healer characters across any number of games/settings for well over a decade now.

Nakaira is another name generator product, which I believe I tweaked to add a vowel or two but mostly is faithful to the original suggestion.

Ping me out of the forums sometime and I'll drone on and on about a naming convention project (unrelated to my name generator) until your eyes glaze over...

https://gswiki.play.net/Marijka

Laelithonel: Mari is like getting a giant wheel of smoked gouda with a cute pink bow on it
Laelithonel: it's exciting. i'd love the wheel. i know eating it will kill me
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 02/28/2018 06:36 PM CST
Love reading these!

Lylia's name comes from a failed attempt to land "Lilith" as a name so many years ago. I played around with "I" and "Y" and "A" until I arrived at a name that, to me, had a similar sound and feel. I found out later that it's an existing name, albeit not a common one, that's a derivative of "Lily."

I pronounce it to rhyme with "Lydia," a short "i" sound for the Y, but a lot of people see the name with a long "i" -- "lie-lee-ah." If you say "Lylia" in the game, no matter how you pronounce it, she will answer to either. :)

--- Lauren, who is both Lily-a's and Lie-lia's player
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 02/28/2018 07:54 PM CST
I'm struggling to think of where I came up with Alisaire. I vaguely recall it being a more vaguely feminine version of Artaire, which was an old character of mine predating playing GS and who, very briefly, was rolled up in GS3 either in the late 90s or very early 00s (just before creating Alisaire) as a dark elven bard. I have always pronounced her name as "Alice Air", as in, "Come Fly the Friendly Alice Airs!", with a slightly stronger emphasis on the -AIRE part. She pronounces it Al-ee-SHAR-rah, written most often as Ali'sharra.

I have a few names that were less inspired, and a couple - including my sorcerer, Nehari - who came straight out of the GS name generator. Sometimes you can get some good ones out of it.

>PS: GK- the origins of that lie in a chat room...

LIES AND SLANDER.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 02/28/2018 08:35 PM CST
Loving this thread.

Seomanthe - I lifted it directly from a Victorian cautionary tale about the dangers of too firmly suppressing young desire called Seomanthe's Elopement.
>>In Book I, the Female Spectator tells about the unfortunate Seomanthe, who lived with a sour old aunt and was denied all social pleasures, with the predictable consequence that she eloped with the first man to smuggle a billet-doux to her in church; he married her, true enough, but absconded with her money and left her to live on the grudging charity of friends.

I have no idea if it was originally intended to be pronounced fancily, I always say SEE-oh-manth. I've heard some others put a distinctly Gaelic spin on it and try to go for something like SHOW-mahn-té, but that's never how I've said it.

Most of my other characters fall into the "those letters look nice together" bucket. I actually tend to spend more time thoughtfully building surnames to fit culture or background. My half Tehir's surname I actually just selected with lots of reliance on the recent research done on the Tehir language as a cipher (Thanks, crypto-linguists!).

I chose Seo's surname, Bartley, because it was quite generic and "Human"-sounding, I wanted her to be from a middle class background, and also probably because I'd recently read Bartleby the Scrivener when I rolled her a century ago, lol.

My other human's surname, Hafdine-Cole, I painstakingly bastardized from Old English references after giving up on finding more information about the "elder Kannalar" language that is passingly referenced in Human lore. Roundly, it means "ship's mistress." Now just have to wait till she gets to level 20 to actually roll it out.

/seo, wheels and skulls department/
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 02/28/2018 08:44 PM CST
In OOC terms:

At the moment I am really only running one character. With my spare characters that might eventually become more real, I impose the constraint of: "It has to plausibly sound like it could be a name, avoid concatenating words or gibberish or tweaked spellings." Then it is a question of sound parts that are mood appropriate, like how Tolkien constructed Black Speech to be clearly dark. Morgoth, nazgul, and so on. I might use a random name generator to spark inspirations for things to twist into names.

"Xorus" is not consistent with this process, it is just something I came up with when I was 11 or 12. I ended up using it when it became possible to use it. Initially it was not. It was freed up in a name purge almost twenty years ago. It is short and reasonably name-ish. It has held up well for something coined by a brain that young.

In IC terms:

I am gradually developing a world setting specific academic discipline for the character. It is increasingly looking like "philology" should be part of this background. The nominal premise is that his true relatively secret background is in a cult, and the cult members are basically born into theological roles. "Xorus" is one of those roles. It is supposed to mean something to the effect of "dreadlord", which isn't something that would be widely known. The surname is the actual identifier, but it has no familial meaning. In his case he is the Xorus Kul'shin. Kul'shin is an adopted nom de guerre. It is "shadow of death" in the ancient dead language Iruaric, which still exists in the Broken Lands.

Except Kenstrom's telepathic NPC Rodnay refers to him as "Dreadlord" because he is looking directly at the meaning. And that apparently has spread around enough that even Larton's wife refers to him as Dreadlord in public now. What that actually signifies is opaque, and you'd have to be deep into some very dark cult to be at all familiar with it.

That being said, the study of dead languages and mythology is part of the character's Faendryl-facing adopted identity, so I have an excuse for it. The idea is that there have been failed attempts to understand the origins of the Dark Elven language, which shares no etymological roots with any known language of this world or the demonic ones.

The premise he will roll out when pressed on it is that in the academically constructed proto-language the linguists have speculated for Dark Elven, the term that is most closely transcribed as "Xorus" means something to the effect of "dreadlord", and that it is related to ancient heterodox mythologies and fanatical religions from even before Despana in the Southron Wastes regarding the resurrection of the Ur-Daemon. He will dismiss it as a pseudonym he uses for his field work, because it is too dangerous to use a Faendryl identifying name, since he has to frequently interact with very dangerous figures and sinister orders. And that leveraging this mythology has currency in some circles.

Pronunciation

Since it is supposed to be meaningful in some esoteric dead language, and possibly a relative of the Dark Elven language which is likely demonic in origin, it is probably the case that only Dark Elves are physically capable of correctly pronouncing it. Humans and so on will just pronounce it as: "ZOR-us." There might be a slight, almost sub-audible click at the beginning, which is why it is transcribed with an X instead of a Z. The exact pronunciation presumably goes outside the human sensory range for phonetics.

- Xorus' player

(And regarding the original post: As long as it is a minor character, accidental overlaps are no big deal. If it is a very recognizable term in something else, however, it will be glaring to people familiar with that source material. Even if it is being missed by everyone else. Better to not uphill battle the preconceived images tied to it.)
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 02/28/2018 09:11 PM CST
Fitting that this subject would be an extension of the former thread, given that the name Avaia is taken directly from a book. On that topic, I generally find nothing wrong with it if the name is In-Genre, even if it is one that may be "Well-known." Without singling out anyone specific, there have been a handful(at least) of characters in the life of this game that have had immediately recognizable Fantasy names, and yet still managed to cut an impressive swathe through the History of Elanthia.

As for Avaia, it is drawn from The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay. I loved the books when I read them(still do, and may have to read them again soon, it's been years). One of the characters is a Black Swan named Avaia -

> Jennifer, turning skyward to where Galadan was pointing, saw a creature so beautiful it lifted her heart in reflexive hope.
>A black swan came swooping down from the high reaches of the sky, glorious against the sun, the great wings widespread, feathered with jet plumage, the long neck gracefully extended.
>Then it landed, and Jennifer realized that the true horror had only begun, for the swan had unnatural razored teeth, and claws, and about it, for all >the stunning beauty, there clung an odor of putrescent corruption.

>Then the swan spoke, in a voice like slithering darkness in a pit. “I have come,” she said. “Give her to me.”

..and I thought to myself "That's a good name for a Sorceress."

Avaia, player of
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 02/28/2018 10:02 PM CST
I don't mind names that are found in books or other existing fantasy. In line with Mourne's thoughts, I usually only find them jarring if the name is something extremely recognizable or mainstream. Personally, I dislike names like Synnamon (Cinnamon - random example) more than a random moniker borrowed from something the player loves, purley because misspellings are jarring in and of themselves.

As such, I will admit that my Gemstone character names have all stemmed from an obscure book series that I read years ago. How I've chosen those names has varied: Some days it was just a name that I liked and wanted to use, other times there were names that just seemed to suit the characters to which they were given. In the end, I prefer to spend most of my creative energy on the character itself and the nuances of their personality rather than their name. (That's the fun part for me.)

Abrimel (AB-rih-mell) - Unfortunately the ostentatious troublemaker has a nickname, Bree, that doesn't quite match with the actual pronunciation, but we can blame that on Nicolao.
Azryen (AZ-ree-yen) - This was chosen because, to me, it suited the character's androgynous appearance and encompassed the contrast of his abrasive personality.
Cethe (seeth) - I love the simplicity of this name, especially when paired with the complexity of the character it belongs to.

-JD
(Ohi guys, I'm still alive! I'll be back to normal capacity again soon.)
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 02/28/2018 10:09 PM CST
As for Avaia, it is drawn from The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay. I loved the books when I read them(still do, and may have to read them again soon, it's been years). One of the characters is a Black Swan named Avaia -

And as the player of Avaia knows, I have also read those books, and hence my special nickname for Avaia in-game. <3

-GK!

(Karen of the Good & Pure)

Ysharra says, "One day, I'm going to have "What?" inscribed on your tombstone, with lots of helpful punctuation."
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 02/28/2018 10:12 PM CST
>Unfortunately the ostentatious troublemaker has a nickname, Bree, that doesn't quite match with the actual pronunciation, but we can blame that on Nicolao. -Bree

Nico only gives this-isn't-your-name-at-all nicknames to his favorite people. Nyah.

---
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 02/28/2018 10:39 PM CST
I'll throw a couple of mine up here.

Dionket - Teknoid backwards (I was thinking Technoid, but simplified it. The noid was a thing, in my day.) He wasn't my first, though. So we'll draw a curtain of charity over my earlier forays into the lands.

Morritrir - A bit of a blend of troll-speak for half-krol monk. He's a HARDCORE monk in Plat. Yes, he's half-krol.

Ghudhxe - The one auto-generated name that I actually liked. I always look at a couple of runs of auto-generated names before reaching for my favorite libation inspiration.

Others are about as eclectic in their origins.

Doug
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 03/01/2018 12:23 AM CST
Once upon a time there was the heart of a bardess ... out in the real world.

The Bardon nagged her for three weeks, maybe longer, to come and see Elanthia. He was RELENTLESS.

Figuring she had met her equal, she formed a plan to at long last hush him up by just doing what he had asked, and she could then go on with her pale shade of an existence. She had sort of promised him she would go see this new creation of his, anyway.

And so one last time he asked ... and she complied. He gave her the beta page number. She entered.

Downward she sank through the layers of text until she was staring at a screen asking her for a name. She should have expected this, but she came completely unprepared.

And there she paused over the HUGE number of agonizing decisions she had to make - cluelessly.

Profession
It was a process of elimination. She was not a fighter, nor a thief. She was not a mage. That left cleric.

... er, what's a cleric again? Oh, well, onward

Name
5 years of Latin never failed her in an emergency. And this was clearly an emergency. Lux for light. -elle because she was female. It wasn't a Latin solution, but this wasn't Rome. And then she made up a surname, which was more of an echo than anything else. She was feeling the pressure of time tick, tick, ticking.

Lightclad.

[It turned out there were no surnames in GS2.]

Race
Wow, she had to pick one! She picked Elf. She'd read Tolkien, et. al. There are ELVES in fantasy!

It must have taken 20 minutes to create that character. And before you jump to any conclusions about stats and stuff, the questions above were pretty much all there was to creating the character.

And this was how Elanthia fell into her life. Unexpectedly. Some things were never the same again.

This was just about names, so I will stop this story right there.

I will add that I was utterly STUNNED to find the name still untaken in GS4 when I returned a few years ago.

The Luxelle of GS2 is a great-great Auntie for the Luxelle that adventures today. I ... have a family tree to prove it. Some people have even SEEN said family tree.

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
Town
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 03/01/2018 09:50 AM CST

Awesome thread.

Meureii (May - you - ray) = Meu and Rei combined. In Portuguese it means My King, and has personal significant importance to me. I have a Meurei rolled up but I borked him early so made Meureii after.

I have only one other character that I actually just rolled up last night since Meureii is close to cap finally. And that is seeeeeecret!

I've always taken words that have meaning to me, chopped them up, used in game knowledge of the race and prof I'm making and tried to name from that to give the back story a chance to grow itself organically after creation.

Brian - I don't play Meureii IG, Meureii plays me IRL
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 03/02/2018 08:30 AM CST
I never had plans for Pup. No intention to rp him long term or make up a past or really anything at all. The name has no secret meaning and dont even know why i picked it. The character himself grew i to who he iz and his history has slowly build out as time goes on. Now i have more a backstory for him but even that does not include the history of his name.
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 03/02/2018 01:18 PM CST
>>but even that does not include

Always something to work on, it feels. . .

Doug
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 03/02/2018 05:06 PM CST
It's less interesting than most stories, but I actually picked up Bristenn Mires from this program called EBON/Everchanging Book of Names, which is a pretty cool name generator I'd use for D&D etc back in say '98 or so (my convert status says 7/17/97, but I dunno). It was intended to sound British/Welsh with a little Anglo-Saxon tilt but within the ole medieval fantasy genre.

Though it was by chance, it was actually several days worth of considering different names (some of which I used for alts over the years, others like Colfren became his middle name, etc), but this one just sounded right for the character I set out to play. I don't think by any other name he'd be the same character- which goes to show you how much it resonated with me via a eureka moment when I pieced it together.

Pronunciation-wise, the double consonant is intended to give a slight bit more emphasis to the second syllable of Bristenn- so, bris-ten, in a way that while similar to 'Kristen' it has more of a stop consonant (I think that's the term) with the hard t and a little germination/elongation with the n. Mires just sounds like that- mī(ə)rs, ala quagmire, or wallow in the mire, etc. I'm not really a linguist, so I'm more or less guessing on the terminology, but you get the gist.

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!

Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 03/03/2018 07:40 AM CST

Askip was never meant to be around for long. Skip is my nickname so for my first try at GS3 in '96 I rolled up a supposedly throwaway character "A" Skip. I even accepted a less than 600 roll just so I could poke around.

I was pronouncing it "A"-Skip to myself but at my first Simucon ('99) I found everyone pronouncing it Ask-ip.

:D
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 03/04/2018 07:47 PM CST
"Necios" means foolish or silly ones in Spanish. I chose it to match my personality a few years ago. I have since become quite serious. Perhaps I should visit the rename pavilion.

It is pronounced "NEH-see-ohs" though after incredible bouts of consternation and correcting others, I have begun responding to "NEK-ee-ohs", "Neshious" (rhymes with Precious - thanks to Naamit for that gem ;)), and "NEEK-os," among others.

GameMaster Necios
Overlord of Icemule Trace
Champion of subject/verb agreement
Honorary BADNAME committee chair

The ghostly voice of Dirvy softly says, "Just shove my soul back in me where it belongs."
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 03/04/2018 09:42 PM CST
Dirra Crawfinn

Long time ago in the beginning days of tabletop (perhaps I am that old), my favoured character was Darra. Gaelic for 'Oak tree', Hebrew feminine for 'Wise. So when came time to create a heart I decided to use my preferred name of past times. But in a funny mistake I typo'd her name and hit create and suddenly there she was. Sat back and looked at the name for a time and decided I liked it. Dirra. Pronounced for me as 'Deer-ah'.

Crawfinn came about by me playing around and forming something that sounded human. Stephos, the damnable war criminal, called her 'Crawfish' leading to Bristenn Mires nicknaming her 'Mudbug'. She is proud of Bristenn's naming, because for her it meant she fit in.

~me
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 03/04/2018 10:23 PM CST
<Dirra Crawfinn>

This is absolutely no relation to my ranger, Diria, by the way.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 03/05/2018 04:54 PM CST
When I first became I GM, I was transitioning from being a GameHost. Let's just say that what I thought my name meant and what everyone thought that my name sounded like were vastly different.

SO, I jumped at the opportunity to change my name. Thandiwe is Zulu for Loving One, which I've tried to be as a GM.

The last name is Gaelic, and it means Good Peace.

~*~ Thandiwe ~*~
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 03/05/2018 06:35 PM CST
>> It is pronounced "NEH-see-ohs" though after incredible bouts of consternation and correcting others, I have begun responding to "NEK-ee-ohs", "Neshious"
(rhymes with Precious - thanks to Naamit for that gem ;)), and "NEEK-os," among others.

... my screen reading program pronounces it as "Nee-see-ohs". Dare you call a robot program wrong? Haha.

I'm always too amused at how my text-to-speech program actually read's people's names versus how people indicate it should be pronounced. Sometimes it's pretty spot on, though sometimes not.
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 03/05/2018 08:09 PM CST
>>>Dare you call a robot program wrong?

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.

GameMaster Necios
Overlord of Icemule Trace
Champion of subject/verb agreement
Honorary BADNAME committee chair

The ghostly voice of Dirvy softly says, "Just shove my soul back in me where it belongs."
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 03/05/2018 09:37 PM CST
About two years ago I came up with a new character concept... a near-sighted burgal gnome who used crossbows. Yes, the concept for him was cartoony, but my previous main was a jerk so I went in the opposite direction. His name was Squintey, har har, but he would tell people his real name was Barthollomew. While I was toying with his training to see if a gnome wizard crossbow user would actually work I had a conversation with another player who said, "So why don't you just name him Barthollomew?" So when I figured out the best stats and skill training I wanted I just rerolled him and couldn't be happier with the outcome.

Why Barthollomew? It was part of his cartooniness to have a long multi-syllable name that was a bit silly. I haven't seen it used much in any capacity and it was available. The name itself is biblical but means "son of" someone or another and has no colorful meaning.

Chad, player of a few
Re: A tried and true favorite: What's in a Name? 03/06/2018 12:38 AM CST
<Why Barthollomew? It was part of his cartooniness to have a long multi-syllable name that was a bit silly. I haven't seen it used much in any capacity and it was available. The name itself is biblical but means "son of" someone or another and has no colorful meaning.>

Bartholomew JoJo Simpson adds color to the name.

I do think the name of your character is very well suited to him though, I've seen him around Elanthia a few times but never interacted with him directly.

Starchitin

Prev_page Previous 1