The subtle. 10/20/2014 08:33 AM CDT

With the expansive storyline going on and lots of different dark avenues to explore, I would like to commend the ones that have been making the day to day in Elanthia a joy. I would love to name names but I would leave someone out, I know it. Not everyone can make that big splash and I hope the ones behind the little things don't feel like it's not being noticed. Simply stopping to say hello, idle gossip, discussion of events, steeling yourself to keep to the side, is some kind of wonderful too. I'm finding the silly, confusing, and heartwarming interactions terrific.

To all those little interactions that bring smiles to our faces and those that do it.
Re: The subtle. 10/21/2014 07:46 AM CDT
I think these interactions can be even more critical than the storylines.

I often hear the complaint that nobody wants to interact, that we're all too busy hunting, etc. I credit the majority of that to a lack of proper mechanical incentive and support for group content and player cooperation (that's for another folder!), but I also feel that on our end, players too often place the responsibility on others to initiate interactions. As you say, things like simply stopping to say hello, idle gossip, etc. These are openings for interaction, and while sometimes you'll get a short response, it at least opens the door to future interaction.

It's this familiarity and willingness to communicate in future interactions, usually forged by these small interactions or by cooperative hunting, that often determine who players interact with the most during storylines. It also facilitates the transfer of relevant storyline information between players in an IC context. In my mind it all adds up to better storylines and a more realistic game world.

The less we interact in these ways, the more contrived the larger events feel because, instead of interacting with people we know, we're essentially thrown together with a bunch of strangers all vying for a GM's attention because they have little to say to each other!

~Taverkin
Re: The subtle. 10/21/2014 11:12 AM CDT
>>nobody wants to interact, that we're all too busy hunting, etc. I credit the majority of that to a lack of proper mechanical incentive

Must. Disagree. No. Robots. Wanted. Here.

Really? A 'mechanical' incentive to portray oneself? No.

>>the rest

Is all good, though!

Doug
Re: The subtle. 10/21/2014 12:18 PM CDT
<<Must. Disagree. No. Robots. Wanted. Here.

Really? A 'mechanical' incentive to portray oneself? No.>>

LoL No. Not at all!

Okay, example time: The Bounty System/Adventurer's Guild

While this system has little direct impact on roleplaying, what it does do very well is provide attractive rewards to most players. In the process, players share tasks and interact with one another, consequently forging relationships that extend beyond the mundane tasks of hunting and completing bounties.

I'm thinking along the same lines here as a player walking into a room and making small talk. You do it on the off chance that it spawns an interesting interaction with players who are otherwise just going through their solitary hunting routine. Often it doesn't amount to anything, but players who routinely speak with each other - even in unremarkable ways - are familiar with each other at the very least. I think these are the interactions that form the foundation for future efforts in the roleplaying arena.

Imagine if the game did a better job of placing players into these cooperative scenarios where it is in their best interests to be social and interact, not because it's what the GMs or certain players want, but because it's the way you play the game. In my opinion, we need to do away with this idea that the RP and the G are mutually exclusive entities that must necessarily be at odds with one another. I think if we are aware of the relationship between the two and actively design systems to take advantage of that, we can encourage more than just the next generation of "robots" and instead create the next generation of roleplayers - a generation that (hopefully!) won't suffer from the purist conflict we've been familiar with since we stopped paying by the hour to play this game.

~Taverkin
Re: The subtle. 10/21/2014 01:21 PM CDT
Ahh, I see.

I suspect this is a better discussion in the Game Design topic, so we don't derail this particular thread too far.

For all that, thanks for the example, and yes - that makes much better sense.

Doug
Re: The subtle. 10/21/2014 10:01 PM CDT
<<Ahh, I see.

I suspect this is a better discussion in the Game Design topic, so we don't derail this particular thread too far.

For all that, thanks for the example, and yes - that makes much better sense.

Doug>>

Haha!

I did warn you it was for another folder, Doug! You asked for that!

Apologies to the rest of you, in particular the subtle. And to you also, Doug, because you've read every word of this from me before (on multiple occasions)!

On an unrelated note, my new book "The Philosophy of RP(&G)." coming soon to a folder near you!

~Taverkin