Court Attire 08/11/2021 10:44 PM CDT
*Winter 5107*

Her hands were bound with steel cuffs, it seemed unnecessary but also rather ironic. At least she could find some humor in the situation, if not a bit of flattery. As she shifted her small wrists in the heavy shackles a booming voice rang out in the small chamber.

“Uniana Le’Gondren Nalfein, you stand charged with treason against the City-State of Illistim, stimulating war against the Shining City, encouraging sorcery within the city walls, endangering the safety of others and aiding and abetting known war criminals. How do you plead?”

“Often and believably. Would you like to hear?” Uniana pulled her lips into a side-set grin.

Another voice came from off to the side, as Murstyr Javilerre quipped “Of course she wouldn’t take this seriously.”

Uniana shook her head. “I noticed there is no one recording this briefing but I would like to go on record that I appreciate Lord Javilerre’s forceful method of cuffing.” She raised her shackled wrists for emphasis and changed her gaze to focus directly on the aged elf and murmured lasciviously, “now I know where your son acquired his skills.”

Murstyr moved towards the small enclosed platform where she stood in a threatening manner before the commanding voice from before ordered, “Enough. The evidence against you is insurmountable. We have every believable argument to sentence you to death.” The voice took a pause while Uniana remained in silence looking into the darkened corners of the chamber unphased. “Though, you have curried favor with the Argent and at the suggestion of the Council of Thrones we offer you some conditions that will see your life spared in return for effective services.”

“Like what?” Uniana asked with her voice dripping with aloofness.

“Describe your familiarity with the sorcerer Mekthros Savius Faendryl?”

Her blood ran like fire and her voice became sharp and biting, “if you expect to me to sit in one of your dungeons playing a part in incriminating anyone but myself you should just kill me here and now. Death over bondage.”

A new voice, one distinctly feminine spoke out now, “ah, she’s just as melodramatic as was suggested.”

Uniana narrowed her eyes and retorted, “not unlike having a puppet court in a dark chamber with your interrogators in shadow.”

Another voice now, scholarly and low, explained “we are interested in your ability to record potentially illegal sorcerous activity within and without the city walls. There is mounting pressure after the events of the past years to ensure that we are aware of any potential individuals of concern. Your proximity and unfettered access to one of the most powerful and feared Faendryl sorcerers at present places you in a unique position.”

“To simply walk up and insert myself?” Uniana thought to herself. She knew that the Illistimi were problematic when it came to subterfuge but even this must seem poorly thought out.

“There is a prominent sorceress of a well-to-do family who is in need of a lady's maid and guide to Ta’Illistim. She coincidentally also is looking for an enchantress on retainer. She has agreed to pay a large amount of interest on your debts in order to take you into her service. You are to watch and report on any findings,” the female voice explained, “despite the manner of your recent apprehension it is said you are a master at discretion.”

Murstyr spoke again, “and there are additional conditions for this arrangement. You are to now and forever cease contact with anyone who ever had an association with the Dark Alliance, including family members. While under this agreement you are prohibited from performing any other,” he paused to emphasize disgust in the next word, “duties. You are simply a lady’s maid and an indentured enchantress. If there is any inclination that you are attempting to contact or signal someone with supposed ties to enemies of the City-State, it will be deathwort for both of you.”

A plea for death rose up in her throat. What life would that be? And what if a sorcerer conclave discovered what had she been doing? Most assuredly a fate worse than death. Then briefly, she felt it. The subtle pound of an alien heart within her chest, it was momentary but undeniable. She could almost hear the thumping. An echo of the connection that they once shared. Something to cling to. Something to live for.