Waylay outputting correct damage? 01/27/2023 12:14 PM CST
I keep seeing large variations of damage output using waylay. I'm curious if things are calculating correctly or if I'm just misunderstanding the information on the gswiki.

I've got a warrior that has 63 ranks in Ambush (163 bonus) and has a DEX bonus of 17.

According to the gswiki:
>>The bonus damage weighting is equal to the following (DEX bonus + (Ambush skill bonus / 2)), subject to the end roll result of the attack. 100% of the calculated bonus is applied if the end result is at 250, then ±1% for every 2 points below/above 250, capped at ±100%. The bonus damage is subject to randomization and stacks with normal weapon properties (such as additional critical or damage weighting).

My understanding is his bonus damage is (DEX bonus + (Ambush skill bonus / 2)):
17 + (163/2)
17 + 81.5 (most likely this is turncated)
17 + 81 = 98

The next part appears to be that 100% of that bonus damage is applied to the attack if the endroll is of 250: 100% of the calculated bonus is applied if the end result is at 250

The last part tells us that for every 2 points your endroll is is under or over 250, you will have a reduction or addition of 1% extra damage, capped at an extra 100%: ±1% for every 2 points below/above 250, capped at ±100%

Here's a clip of a hunt I just did with my warrior. Same target, both waylay attempts hit the same body location and both had almost the exact same endrolls, but the final damage results are hugely different. The first one doesn't even look like the normal bonus amount was even applied fully with the endroll that he achieved.

>waylay
You step out of hiding to waylay a shan warrior!
You swing a translucent vultite-alloy quarterstaff at a shan warrior!
AS: +329 vs DS: +78 with AvD: +6 + d100 roll: +98 = +355
... and hit for 72 points of damage!
Neck vertebrae snap.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
>hid
You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
>waylay
You step out of hiding to waylay a shan warrior!
You swing a translucent vultite-alloy quarterstaff at a shan warrior!
AS: +329 vs DS: +76 with AvD: +6 + d100 roll: +94 = +353
... and hit for 172 points of damage!
Shot to the neck scrapes away skin.
Some nasty bleeding.
The shan warrior howls out one last time and dies.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

The weapon in question has no damage weighting, but it is masterfully crit weighted (+17 CER). Based on the crush crit table, the first attack appears to be a rank 2 crit wound and the second attack appears to be a rank 3 crit wound. The extra damage between rank 2 and 3 on the crit table is 10 points of damage.

This isn't the first time I've seen results like this. This is the first time I had almost identical endroll results, hitting the same target in the same body location, so this has been the best result I could post my questions about.

My questions
Should the damage difference of both attacks actually have that great of a variance? The first attack doesn't even look like it has all the bonus damage from the waylay applied to it even though the endroll was over 250.

Or is this just the wonderful work of some giant randomization property of the WAYLAY attack that we don't see on the backend?