question about chain spears 12/28/2021 05:27 PM CST
I've had a chain spear for a while now, and it used to have a feature where after I threw it I could pull it and the blade would return, and if it was stuck in a living target it would do damage getting pulled back out. I seem to remember it working, where if my hurl landed it would always lodge in the target, but recently (well since I gained access to those new cmans) my hurled attacks with my chain spear don't lodge in the target. All that to ask, if I want that ability back (which I thought was a feature) do I now have to train in cman dislodge or whatever its called??

Appreciate your time an consideration of this matter,
Archales
Re: question about chain spears 12/29/2021 09:33 AM CST
I don't hurl much, but I seem to recall that when HURL was updated a while back to allow weapons to be recovered with the RECOVER verb, hurled weapons no longer stick into creatures. They will always "fall" off the target by hitting them and falling to the ground. I have yet to see a HURLed weapon get lodged into a creature since this update was put into place. Either this is an issue with HURL or it's an issue with dislodge claiming that hurled weapons can get lodged in your target.

Also, I never used a chain spear so I can't confirm/deny how they worked or now work.

I've tried HURL with a couple of builds since the change to how it functions for not losing weapons that you throw and from throwing daggers and rapiers to two handed wapons (not sure about THW, if they used to lodge or not) that used to lodge into targets, they no longer do.

Now that I think about it, maybe only weapons actually classified as thrown weapons lodge? That could be the case, but I don't use those classified as thrown weapons when I hurl. Guess I never thought to try them out.

If thrown weapons can lodge, then the issue would be with your chain spear and it would probably need to be updated.
Re: question about chain spears 12/30/2021 09:53 AM CST
When you hurl the chain-spear, based on the amount of endroll (a low endroll can deflect off) and location, it can lodge into the target automatically. You can the PULL the shaft of the spear to drag the spear-head back out of the target which should essentially mechanically flare on the target as it returns and cause a knockdown effect. This pull function can be done from any distance as far as I know as the spear is magical in nature. My chain-spear is currently working and lodging normally so if yours isn't, you might want to assist and ask if yours is broken somehow.

-Perigourd's Player.
Re: question about chain spears 12/30/2021 10:54 AM CST
Spear is a native "Thrown" weapon right?
So if you hold a chainspear in-hand, you get DS based on your Thrown ranks?

And since the haft remains in your hand after the hurl is finished--and each piece of the chainspear counts as a spear, according to GSWiki--then you still have a 'spear' in-hand, giving you DS based on your Thrown ranks?

GMs!

Can I get my hurling bandolier weapon changed over to a "chainspear"?!?!

Look on the bright side: you would (finally!) stop hearing me bitch about having to train in Brawling while I'm standing there weaponless AND also stop hearing me bitch about having to train in a (non-Thrown) weapon for while I'm standing there ready to throw!
Re: question about chain spears 12/30/2021 01:20 PM CST
<<Can I get my hurling bandolier weapon changed over to a "chainspear"?!?!

Chainspears are a script. Hurling bandoliers are a script. I seriously doubt that will happen.
Re: question about chain spears 12/31/2021 11:46 AM CST
Oh, I agree with the mechanics.

The point was that there is a Thrown weapon that still provides DS after you do the hurl, without having to train in needless weapon skills.