Greater Elemental Flares targeting neck specifically 02/18/2021 09:48 PM CST
Picked up some greater flares at Duskruin. I noticed when it does the script double flare, the second flare almost always hits the neck (example bolded below). The first flare seems random, but the second one is almost always to the neck.

From a brief sample tonight, of 30 double flare activations I got 25 neck, 4 chest, and 1 indeterminate (fog beetle hit with no crit messaging). Glancing at my logs for the past several days this is happening consistently. The second flare is always to the neck, and if not, then to the chest, or (rarely) the back.

Is this intended? Or a bug with greater flares? Or a bug with my specific weapon? I BUGITEMed the weapon in game, but I wasn't sure.

>attack
You swing a burnished mithril greatsword at a Grutik wildling!
AS: +508 vs DS: +420 with AvD: +41 + d100 roll: +1 = +130
... and hit for 24 points of damage!
Hesitant slash to the Grutik wildling's upper right arm!
Just a scratch.
Your mithril greatsword fades some.

Burning orbs of pure flame burst from a burnished mithril greatsword inlaid with swirling gold and eahnor flames and engulf a Grutik wildling!

... 15 points of damage!
Burst of flames to right hand fries palm. Ouch!
... 30 points of damage!
Fire burns through neck and destroys carotid artery. Painfully bloody way to die.
A Grutik wildling collapses into a lifeless heap upon the ground.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
Roundtime changed to 1 second.
Re: Greater Elemental Flares targeting neck specifically 02/19/2021 12:28 AM CST

Wow that's weird, the 4 that you got that were not neck where all chest - I wonder if that can happen when there is already a rank 3 on the neck (so it moves to chest)
Re: Greater Elemental Flares targeting neck specifically 02/19/2021 01:13 AM CST
>Wow that's weird, the 4 that you got that were not neck where all chest - I wonder if that can happen when there is already a rank 3 on the neck (so it moves to chest)

Yeah, that's my guess. The non-neck crits are so rare that it appears they are genuinely targeting, and moving to chest if neck already has a max injury. I recall seeing a tiny number of back crits in there, maybe ~1%, and nothing else (other than indeterminate), possibly representing the rare scenarios where neck/chest are both maximally wounded already. I just went through another log from a different session and for the double flares, the second flare was 47 neck, 6 chest, 4 indeterminate, before I stopped counting.
Re: Greater Elemental Flares targeting neck specifically 02/20/2021 09:06 PM CST
Seems it was a bug after all, and must have been fixed some time yesterday. Now I am getting random locations on the second of the double flare, which seems more like the expected behavior.

Unclear if it was just my weapon or a general GEF script issue. Do the devs normally respond to BUGITEM submissions? Or do they just silently fix it?

In any event, thanks to whomever for taking care of it (although I feel like I mildly nerfed myself by bringing this up, heh).
Re: Greater Elemental Flares targeting neck specifically 02/20/2021 11:34 PM CST

I ran into a snake flare bug years ago where the flare would only hit the targets left hand. Not as good as the neck!
Re: Greater Elemental Flares targeting neck specifically 02/21/2021 06:15 AM CST
>Do the devs normally respond to BUGITEM submissions? Or do they just silently fix it?

It's a hit and miss thing. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Depending on the severity of the bug, they may even give you some RPA type reward or free head of exp. At least that's been my experience when reporting various bugs that get fixed.