Mana Flares 02/06/2021 03:32 PM CST
Mana Flares have been updated to return 20% of the mana cost of a spell or 1 mana per tier, whichever is greater. e.g. if a caster has a T5 mana flare runestaff, when casting Elemental Defense I (401), they have the chance to gain 5 mana. When casting Heroism (215), they have the chance to gain 15 mana.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Mana Flares 02/06/2021 04:41 PM CST
This... is a huge change. :)

I had been looking at throwing Dispel flares onto the Sigil Staff (and then cranking it up to Dispel3), but with this, I'm a lot more likely to look at Mana Flares harder.
Re: Mana Flares 02/07/2021 09:34 AM CST

Wow that really is a nice change.
Re: Mana Flares 02/07/2021 02:52 PM CST
In addition, mana flares will now work with multicasting:

>incant 406 3
You gesture and invoke the powers of the elements for the Elemental Defense II spell...
Your spell is ready.
You make a complex gesture, increasing the potency of your spell.
A bright luminescence surrounds you.
Your rune staff pulses with a white-blue light!
You feel 18 mana surge into you!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Mana Flares 02/07/2021 03:18 PM CST
Estild, is each one checked individually (so that cast could get you 6, or 12, or 18, and that particular cast got lucky)?

Or is there a single check, and you get good result for whole stack period?
Re: Mana Flares 02/09/2021 10:29 AM CST
This is an amazing change.
Re: Mana Flares 02/20/2021 09:49 AM CST

Is it possible we can have some logic shed on these flares?

I just had 16 casts with my mana runestaff and not a single flare.

It typically goes 9 or 10 casts without a flare but this situation is a little unique so I'm curious if they impacted the chances.

I handed it to one character who used it 10 times (no flare) then handed it back to my char who used it another 6 times without a flare. The last 4 casts were spaced out quite a bit (do to wizard spells costing so much and needing to regen mana). So can we know if the weapon's chance of flaring character dependent (meaning when I handed it between characters, its chance was reset) and...does the longer you go without using the weapon does the chance to flare reset or lower?

Thank you if you choose to answer.
Re: Mana Flares 02/20/2021 09:51 AM CST
Guessing here but I think it is just a straight up 15% chance to flare which means you are dependent on the Random Number Generator. Going 16 casts without a flare would not be all that uncommon.

-- Robert

>> You tremble and can barely hold onto the mithril greataxe. You estimate it must be worth over a hundred million silvers!
Re: Mana Flares 02/20/2021 01:03 PM CST
I have had back-to-back, and I have had dry spells. These are the only flares (that I know of) that work with AoE spells. I have had several where my T5 returns the full 35 mana of a Song of Tonis.

I have not logged in since the OP made this message, so I have no idea if something has changed.
Re: Mana Flares 02/21/2021 12:55 PM CST
>>I have had back-to-back, and I have had dry spells. These are the only flares (that I know of) that work with AoE spells. I have had several where my T5 returns the full 35 mana of a Song of Tonis.

>>I have not logged in since the OP made this message, so I have no idea if something has changed.

Yeah, they work for 410 and 518 for me, too. Though for whatever reason, they are not working with Core Tap (950). No idea if it's a bug or what.
Re: Mana Flares 02/22/2021 09:11 AM CST
If so, probably the fault lies with the mechanics of how Core Tap works.