Nerve Staves old flaring bug kills children 01/24/2021 07:57 AM CST
I have reported this bug several times but never on the forums so here's another try...

Since buying my nerve staves from DR a few years ago, I have noticed this same bug...first when hunting griffins in TI who are immune to the lightning flares. Essentially, when it flares and the critter is not affected, the bug is that your spell remains prepared...as if you hadn't cast it. As you can see in this log, the spell cast never actually ends, as there is no Cast RT, which allows me to cast the spell again immediately.

J>11
You toss your head back and howl loudly as swirling wisps of mana flow out of thin air and into your mouth, spiraling downward to fill your lungs with power...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a huge lightning elemental.
CS: +548 - TD: +433 + CvA: +25 + d100: +100 == +240
Warding failed!
A huge lightning elemental contorts in excruciating agony!
... 105 points of damage!

Several thin, fibrous white filaments erupt from your illthorn staff and swirl around each other in a chaotic dance. Straining to reach a huge lightning elemental, they unleash a powerful surge of electrical current upon the object of their wrath!
The elemental absorbs the power.
J>11
You gesture at a huge fire elemental.
CS: +548 - TD: +430 + CvA: +25 + d100: +20 == +163
Warding failed!
A huge fire elemental contorts in excruciating agony!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

Another way this bug presents itself is via death by flare. If the flare kills the critter, your spell also remains prepared. Note also the oddity that in this case, the lightning elemental was not immune to the lightning flare:

You gesture at a huge lightning elemental.
CS: +548 - TD: +433 + CvA: +25 + d100: +83 == +223
Warding failed!
A huge lightning elemental contorts in excruciating agony!

Several thin, fibrous red filaments erupt from your illthorn staff and swirl around each other in a chaotic dance. Straining to reach a huge lightning elemental, they unleash a wave of unmitigated pain upon the object of their wrath!
... 25 points of damage!
You sense a surge of essence being dragged from the elemental and into your multicolored soulstone.
The lightning elemental vanishes into a flurry of sparks that rapidly dissipates away.
As the last of the lightning elemental disappears, an uncut ruby, a piece of rose quartz, and a green sapphire appear in its place.
You have been awarded 1 Long-Term Experience Boost! You may use the BOOST command to access this reward!
J>spell
Your spell lists:
Minor Spiritual...64
Minor Elemental...73
Sorcerer Base.....166

Spell in Hand....711

You can view your progress towards your skill goals in the character sheet.
You can view your spells in the spells panel.
J>prep 701
You already have a spell readied! You must RELEASE it if you wish to prepare another!
J>
The familiar, yet still oddly foreign, sensation of invigoration coursing through your muscles fades.
J>release
You feel the magic of your spell rush away from you.

So while this bug does sometimes present a mechanical benefit, allowing me to recast my spell immediately...it also causes unfortunate accidents. At the very least, I often need to release my spell manually after killing a criter. At the worst, when rescuing a child, you may kill the critter and then try to cast a buff on the child...but instead of preparing your buff spell, it's the kill spell that killed the critter already prepared...and you cast it at the poor child.

Please fix this - thanks for your time!