Quarterstaves Quicker 01/18/2021 05:04 PM CST
Quarterstaves have been changed from a base speed of 5 (with a minimum Roundtime of 5 seconds) to a base speed of 3 (with a minimum Roundtime of 4 seconds). This now makes them the only two-handed weapon that can be consistently attacked with in 4 seconds. We hope this contributes to giving them an interesting combat niche.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: Quarterstaves Quicker 01/18/2021 05:06 PM CST
Thank you for releasing this lovely improvement!
Re: Quarterstaves Quicker 01/18/2021 05:23 PM CST

Wasn't there some plan to make quarterstaves some sort of appropriate weapon for monks, interacting with brawling in some way? Is that still a thing?
Re: Quarterstaves Quicker 01/18/2021 05:55 PM CST
>>Wasn't there some plan to make quarterstaves some sort of appropriate weapon for monks, interacting with brawling in some way? Is that still a thing?

Yes. The original proposal was creation of a maneuver called Way of the Ironwood Branch. The concept was approved, but after I ran a bunch of analysis on it, the original design needed work. We've got a new proposal submitted.

GM Naijin is working on a third phase of changes to combat maneuvers, shield specs, armor specs (we collectively call this system the Player System Manager (PSM)) which will hopefully include the new version of Way of the Ironwood Branch.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: Quarterstaves Quicker 01/18/2021 06:03 PM CST
>> The original proposal was creation of a maneuver called Way of the Ironwood Branch. The concept was approved, but after I ran a bunch of analysis on it, the original design needed work. We've got a new proposal submitted.

Oh wow! This is great news! Thinking happy thoughts for the new proposal making it through to implementation!

-- Robert

>> You tremble and can barely hold onto the mithril greataxe. You estimate it must be worth over a hundred million silvers!
Re: Quarterstaves Quicker 01/18/2021 06:37 PM CST
The DF for quarter staves is not terrible (although worse than any other two hander except runestaves) but the AvD is horrendous. Take a look at that, make some adjustments, and that might make quarterstaves a viable weapon, along with the RT change.
Re: Quarterstaves Quicker 01/18/2021 08:00 PM CST
>The DF for quarter staves is not terrible (although worse than any other two hander except runestaves) but the AvD is horrendous. Take a look at that, make some adjustments, and that might make quarterstaves a viable weapon, along with the RT change.

Use against skin/cloth = awesome (like almost every other weapon)

Against light leather = pretty solid

Against scale = still pretty good, but certainly starts to lack the power other THWs have. You're creeping towards morning star territory.

Against chain mail = you like that workout, huh? Even with a MCW quarterstaff you need to work hard for that crit weighting to kick in.

Against plate = you're too exhausted to continue swinging and all the crit weighting in the game isn't going to help. You look stupid swinging that wet noodle.
Re: Quarterstaves Quicker 01/19/2021 09:27 AM CST
"Against plate = you're too exhausted to continue swinging and all the crit weighting in the game isn't going to help. You look stupid swinging that wet noodle." -- BBRodriguez

"Long stick" weapons of all types (including many/most/all pole arms, but also quarter & rune staves) should:
- have automatic access to the trip/knockdown/unbalance crit table against plate armor,
- that check should happen automatically (no player special command to activate), and
- for purposes of THAT CHECK ONLY, the DF should be the inverse of what it actually is against that AsG. (i.e. "more likely to have high damage calculated == tougher knockdown results") (I would just do this as 1-DF, so the staff is great at knocking plate down but the lance sucks.)

So you roll your 248 end result, do the pathetic damage that the DF calculates out as, but then the "stick it between their legs because your weapon is so nimble and they ain't" gets GREAT results, so they take a tumble.

BUT if you do the same thing with a lance, it is actually less likely to happen, because "inverse of DF" means the crit results for the trip, suck. (But the crit from the actual damage does very well, so no worries.)
Re: Quarterstaves Quicker 01/19/2021 12:56 PM CST

This is a great improvement, thanks so much for this.

And great news on the iron branch addition.

Just to add my piece, my big issue with the iron branch proposal from before was that it wasn't viable for a pre-cap build because the training requirements were insane. At least it appeared that way to me. Likewise, it only applied to monks.

I'd really like to see the quarterstaff get some changes writ large that could apply across all classes. In similar vein to katars or iron branch's requirement for two weapon types, I think you could add benefits when combining two handed weapons and two weapon combat. This gets at the idea of hitting with both sides of the weapon. Combining the faster new quarterstaff speed with a scaling chanced based on TWC training to get a second swing in using TWC roundtime calculation, maybe something like 25% at 1x up to 50 or 75% at fully 2x. That way you could allow other squares access, and TP requirements would be relatively prohibitive for semis until post cap. That would be a heck of a lot of fun with mstrike.

Then that's of course not prohibitive to any other martial stance like iron branch that could add in other functionality with UAC specific to monks.
Re: Quarterstaves Quicker 01/19/2021 01:53 PM CST
One possibility is to consider a quarterstaff to be a Brawling weapon, as well. That way a Monk would have immediate access to it.

Somewhat more outlandish would be to consider the weapon as Two-Weapons right away. So if you are holding "a quarterstaff" in your right hand and nothing in your left, when you attack, you do Two-Weapon attack, because, well, that's how you roll. Head- and butt-ends of the staff.
Should you happen to use a splitter certificate on the staff, then you go from one large (bo) to two small (jo) staves. Still a staff, still Brawling, still two-weapon.

You could also plan to develop a whole line of Monk-Fu improvements to the staff weapon base, in the same manner that the runestaff has seen so far.

<wander, whistle>
Re: Quarterstaves Quicker 01/21/2021 12:24 AM CST
A step in the right direction, but, like many of the weapon bases, not enough to save it. I tried to make a ranger with a quarterstaff work years ago and even with the translucent one (MCW), it was painfully bad. I don't see a 4 second RT changing that. I always thought it would be cool if they could be used with TWC so that you could have a bizarre character that was THW/TWC, use quarterstaves, and then against heavily armored opponents you wouldn't be completely out of luck since you could switch out to a maul or something.
Re: Quarterstaves Quicker 01/23/2021 07:34 AM CST
A two-handed weapon competently gripped with both hands should make the weapon significantly harder to disarm. How about an additional resistance of 1% for every 10 ranks truncated? There should also be a new CM that is available to even pures that augments defense when using a runestaff/quarterstaff - "Thou Shall NOT Pass!!".

Tarakan
Re: Quarterstaves Quicker 01/29/2021 01:52 AM CST
Bravely bold Sir Robin
Rode forth from Camelot.
He was not afraid to die,
Oh brave Sir Robin.
He was not at all afraid
To be killed in nasty ways.
Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin.
He was not in the least bit scared
To be mashed into a pulp.
Or to have his eyes gouged out,