Ironwright flares bugged/broken 10/07/2020 09:43 AM CDT
I've got a referal in place for this, but it might require the attention of a specific GM with knowledge of the script.

My default flares on my Ironwright weapon (the holy water ones) won't flare. Hundreds of swings...no flares.

The flares that require activation, in my case Fire and/or Disruption work fine. I've tested those, no problem.

Seems to have started after taking the weapon to the WPS at Duskruin to add on some Crit weighting which it never had before.

Also...if anyone does peek at the script, is there any way to get them approved to be player enchantable?

Thanks.

For refernce, I've included the text from the Wiki below. The broken flares I'm experiencing are the default 'holy flares' mentioned below.

[Ironwright's script gives holy flares when an item is blessed (no matter the profession) as well as a selection of two or three other flares (for example, acid/impact/web/airbolt). The other flares are activated by casting a related spell at the weapon after it has been blessed (e.g. Hurl Boulder for impact). The flares last until the bless wears off. This flare occupies the script slot, not the flare slot.

Elemental Blade will work to activate a flare if the random (or attuned) element matches what the weapon is scripted to accept.]
Re: Ironwright flares bugged/broken 10/08/2020 12:11 AM CDT
So...how are you blessing it? It follows the same rules as normal bless. When I duplicated the sword from your bug report, I didn't get any holy water flares either, but as soon as I wore the bless off and cast a capped cleric's version of Bless at it, the holy water flares appeared just fine. If you are Voln blessing it, you aren't going to get those flares, just as you don't with any other weapon. It's storing the bless part as a normal bless.

>prep 304
You focus your energy on the phrases and form of Bless as glowing orbs of power rise up and swirl about your body...
Your spell is ready.
>cast swo
You gesture at an ornate ebony eahnor cresset sword.
A searing white light enfolds the sword for a moment and then appears to become incorporated into it.

>att
You swing an ornate ebony eahnor cresset sword at a spectral triton defender!
AS: +476 vs DS: +402 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +80 = +179
... and hit for 28 points of damage!
Hard strike connects with the triton defender's back!
A thin arc of mist spews forth, evaporating quickly.

Your eahnor cresset sword sprays forth a shower of pure water!

... 10 points of damage!
Large gash to the left arm seals as strike passes through.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
Re: Ironwright flares bugged/broken 10/08/2020 01:06 AM CDT
Its a voln bless, but thats all Ive used for...ages? It has worked before as sufficient to trigger the flares.

Maybe there was some change to underlying blessing mechanics from when had the script added (over ten years ago), but I was always able to use my Voln blesses to trigger the script’s default flares.

Are you saying that if the weapon is blessed through a Voln bless the script’s holy flares won’t activate? Is that working as intended?

The script is supposed to have three different flares. Default (holy flares that activate from a blessing), fire( bless sword and wave a golden wand at it), Disruption (bless sword and wave a twisted wand at it). Do I have something in my understanding wrong?

Thanks for giving this a look.
Re: Ironwright flares bugged/broken 10/08/2020 01:11 AM CDT
And a follow up thought,

Back then (decade ago) was before Voln symbol changes and I always used symbol of holiness to bless the sword. Could that be why it worked then to trigger water flares but doesnt now?
Re: Ironwright flares bugged/broken 10/08/2020 07:38 AM CDT
How many swings is your weapon lasting for before you have to re-bless it? Depending on your level and the amount of weighting you added, it shouldn't be to many if it is functioning properly. Symbol of blessing runs out very fast when you start adding weighting to a weapon. If you had a heavy crit weighted weapon (10 CER = 150 services) and you were a level 100 master of voln, your bless would last a total of 2, yes two, swings.

Depending on the amount of weighting you add to a weapon a voln bless isn't possible. If your weapon is somewhat crit weighted (5 CER = 50 services) and you were a level 50 master of voln, the bless would only last 56 swings. Typically you need a high level cleric to bless weapons with weighting because the more weighting reduces the total number of swings per bless.

# of swings = 20 + (3 × Cleric Base ranks) + Blessings Lore ranks

Number of swings used up based on WPS of item:
services swings per service
0 - 150 1
150 - 300 1.5
300+ 3

So until you get to 10 CER, you lose 1 swing of blessing per service. If your weapon had 10 CER (150 services) you would lose 150 swings.

For your voln symbol of blessing the formula for how many blesses you can add is -> Number of blesses = level + (2 × voln rank).

But it sounds like it is the combination of a really old script not playing well with the updated weighting mechanics and symbol of blessing.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

A squeaky halfling nearby asks, "Why you playing with orcs heads and troll rearends?!"

Re: Ironwright flares bugged/broken 10/08/2020 09:06 AM CDT
Yup. I know about the effect of weighting on blesses, thats why I stopped at 50 services.

I lose 50 swings off of a bless. Voln master at level 80. So it should be (80 +52)-50 = 82 swings. Its plenty. The symbol is cheap and favor is easy to farm.

Im certain that the base concept of the script was to allow flares on a blessed weapon back when that wasnt a thing expect for maybe paladins? The wiki indicates that my memory is correct and a bless should activate the holy flares. It doesn’t specify a cleric bless and I never asked clerics to bless things because I was in Voln.

Im reasonably certain the holy water flares always worked before (years ago) from using the Symbol of Holiness to bless the weapon. In that time, Voln symbols changed. I dont know if blessing mechanics changed, but it seems maybe?

I guess Im seeing a weapon lose about a 1/3 of its unique functions and also remains non-player enchantable status and was wondering if there is anyway to remedy that.
Re: Ironwright flares bugged/broken 10/09/2020 12:11 AM CDT
Voln bless ever giving holy water flares is news to me. Perhaps Symbol of Holiness had some unique function that I'm not aware of, but even as stated on the wiki:

Holy Water flares - Available only through Bless (304), these flares behave as acid on undead and (harmless but visible) water on living creatures.

Other forms of blessing, such as Voln bless, blessing sheaths, pure potion bless, etc. do not normally come with the holy water flare "flavor" of blessing.
Re: Ironwright flares bugged/broken 10/09/2020 05:36 AM CDT
Ok. I thought it was a function of the ironwright script to turn blesses of all types into those that gives holy flares. But it seems im clearly wrong. Thanks for looking at it.

Any chance they can become player enchantable? Been back in game for about four months now after a decade off and I think Ive seen every type of service offered except merchant enchanting.

Thanks again
Re: Ironwright flares bugged/broken 10/09/2020 07:25 AM CDT
Enchanting is offered at Duskruin in the High End Scrip Shop. Usually Duskruin is held twice a year and last one was in August.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

A squeaky halfling nearby asks, "Why you playing with orcs heads and troll rearends?!"

Re: Ironwright flares bugged/broken 10/09/2020 07:53 AM CDT
Yeah, I saw that on offer. But in theory, that is a pay-to-play prize. You either have to pay someone in silver to own the scrip they got from cash payments for tickets or you have to spend extra cash on your own tickets to get scrip.

It seems like none of the other services that are sort of 'standard' like WPS and GALD are locked behind a soft paywall. I'm not saying enchanting is, but I feel like there is a reason that many weapons were added over the past ten years to the list of what is player enchantable.

I love my Ironwright sword and would never use a different weapon, but it seems relatively tame compared to some of what is out there now. Many of those others are player enchantable.
Re: Ironwright flares bugged/broken 10/09/2020 08:45 AM CDT
Are you sure it's still not player enchantable? With the new update to 925 enchant last year, most items that couldn't be enchanted are now enchantable. Have you had a wizard take a look at the item to see if it is? If you're in prime, feel free to send me a message and I can do a check on it.
Re: Ironwright flares bugged/broken 10/09/2020 09:20 AM CDT
Yup,

My hunting partner is a wizard who enchants regularly. She said the weapon returned some sort of message that made it clear it is not player enchantable. At least that is my understanding. I wouldn't mind confirmation of that in case it simply was telling her it is out of her league to even try.

I literally don't know a thing about anything in this game that isn't a warrior or voln related thing. I've only had one character through the years.
Re: Ironwright flares bugged/broken 10/09/2020 09:34 AM CDT
Faulkil would be willing to take a look at it for you as well if you see him around. Just send him a thought in game.

-- Robert

>> A halfling magistrate picks up a small rock and throws it at a half-elven bandit in a valiant effort to subdue him.
Re: Ironwright flares bugged/broken 10/09/2020 10:17 AM CDT
Ironwright is just a really old script that hasn't been updated in a long time. It's just like the Shadowdeath script, Snake Flare Script (Enchantable but takes up both slots =/), Iasha Flares Script (Takes up both slots) and a bunch of older scripts that were cool, but have significant opportunities compared to some of the more recent offerings that newer GMs have coded. These older scripts would need a GM to take an interest to get them updated and I think most GMs are more interested in coding something new that they envisioned rather than improving old scripts. From what I've heard some of the older code is incredibly time consuming to try and fix and would require a total rewrite.

Re: Ironwright flares bugged/broken 10/10/2020 09:52 PM CDT
Well...checked with a few enchanters at or near cap.

Their opinion is that it probably IS possible to player enchant it, but would need a mutant spec to do it. If anyone knows anyone who fits that bill, I'd love to see if they could confirm it or not.