Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 08/29/2020 01:05 PM CDT
Dispel flares have been updated to flare before an attack resolves. In addition, if the target has no spells active, they are then subject to SMRv2 and if successful, take disruption damage.

Kroderine weapons have been updated to always have at least 3 dispel attempts. Kroderine armor no longer dispels the wearer when triggered reactively against an attacker.

Veil Iron and Krodera have been updated to be immune to Vibration Chant (1002), Cloak of Shadows (712), and Weapon Fire (915). Kroderine was already immune to these spells.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 08/29/2020 01:32 PM CDT
Great update!

Thank you!

What about making them resistant to that trick where your weapon is turned into a banana or a rattlesnake?
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 08/29/2020 06:01 PM CDT
Does this also work for the thing that turns your weapon into snakes?
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 08/29/2020 06:23 PM CDT

What about kroderine shields? Can I dispell 3 things when I shield bash/trample/whatever now? Can I upgrade this further through the cert in he hess or did the shield update screw me out of this upgrade and they are stuck at the same old one? Also since kroderine shields have spell absorbing when any type of spell was cast at you and then spell stripping on an attack with the shield what did that change do to kroderine shields?

Fyrentennimar

Quote: "Jaynah says, "This is more fun than rolton tipping and blood eagle ridin combined.""
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 08/29/2020 07:45 PM CDT
Does the SMRv2 disruption flare use the same 1x MIU baseline as the sigil staff?
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 08/29/2020 08:25 PM CDT
Fyrentennimar
What about kroderine shields? Can I dispell 3 things when I shield bash/trample/whatever now? Can I upgrade this further through the cert in he hess or did the shield update screw me out of this upgrade and they are stuck at the same old one? Also since kroderine shields have spell absorbing when any type of spell was cast at you and then spell stripping on an attack with the shield what did that change do to kroderine shields?

Kroderine weapons and shields default to 3 dispel attempts. Kroderine armor defaults to 5 dispel attempts. That's the maximum for normal items, so you cannot add more dispel attempts to kroderine since it starts at the maximum.

JL177
Does the SMRv2 disruption flare use the same 1x MIU baseline as the sigil staff?

No, it's based upon level only for the normal weapon dispel flares.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 08/29/2020 08:36 PM CDT
Will veil iron armor receive any benefits? Or merely have the inability to be ensorcelled still?

AuchandToday at 11:28 PM
I would like to reiterate: Whick is my hero.

What is love? BB don't hurt me05/13/2020
Whick's so helpful! He's our villain even in our backchannel chatter as staff. :smile:
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 08/29/2020 09:27 PM CDT
Is it the case that "dispel against something with NO spells now automatically comes with SMRv2/disruption"?
If so, that means that the damaging crit could happen at Tier2 sigil staff (which is when dispel starts happening), so the Tier3 benefit no longer is a new addition.

Or is that the base ability of the anti-magic materials? (And then the sigil staff builds it up in stages.)
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 08/31/2020 08:50 AM CDT
"Veil Iron and Krodera have been updated to be immune to ... Cloak of Shadows (712)... Kroderine was already immune to these spells." -- Estild

Presumably this is the retributive effect.

Should they also be immune to/cut through Wall of Thorns?
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 08/31/2020 10:28 AM CDT
Anyone using a ranged or hurled weapon should be immune to these as well: out of range
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 08/31/2020 04:24 PM CDT
So... does this mean veil iron is player enchantable now since veil iron is just immune to those 3 spells?

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 08/31/2020 11:07 PM CDT
Veil iron is also 'immune' to ranger resistance (620) as of right now, not sure about the upcoming changes though.
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 09/08/2020 01:54 PM CDT
Hey Estild,
Regarding this announcement: "dispel flares have been updated to flare before an attack resolves. In addition, if the target has no spells active, they are then subject to SMRv2 and if successful, take disruption damage."

When I saw this announcement, I decided to go ahead and try out the sigil staff, unlocked it to T2 and took it to six spell slots. My plan was to wait for the T3 upgrade and to decide what to put in the Cat B slots until next time, since it would have these cool new dispel/disruption flares that I could check out.

The sigil staff is not flaring disruption if the target has no spells active. Can this be updated?

Thanks for your review!
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 09/08/2020 02:35 PM CDT
I've been posting my issues with the Sigil Staff over in Paid Events/Duskruin, since that was where he announced that they would be gaining these effects.

To lower your expectations:
- on the staff, it is a regular flare, so "not every swing/cast" (more like about one-in-7);
- I do see the dispels happening, now that I have shifted over to Reim where the creatures have spells, since the Arena closed (nothing in the Arena wore spells);
- and per his announcement (emphasis mine), "At tier 3, the dispel flare can affect up to 2 spells (1d2) and if no spells are active on the target, triggers a SMRv2 (using MIU ranks at 1x for baseline) and subjects the target to disruption damage if they fail.

So the disruption portion of the Sigil Staff--which comes from the script, and no the inherent Dispel flares of any material property (such as kroderine has)--kick in at the Tier after what you purchased. (And it would also have a chance to dispel two [2] spells. Tier after that would have a chance to dispel three [3] spells. Tier after that would have the chance to double-cast whatever spell you did.)

The SMR damage is a long thing about tendrils flashing out and caging the target, like this:

[SMR result: 163 (Open d100: 78, Bonus: 84)]
Tendrils of pale energy lash out from your fireleaf staff toward a haggard snow witch and cage him within bands of concentric geometry that constrict as one, shattering upon impact!
... 25 points of damage!
Minor muscle tearing on the snow witch's left leg.

That does not seem to work.
Sing Roundtime 3 Seconds.

Don't get your hopes up about them being anything spectacular.
(Note that I'm trying to have THAT looked into as well, because when I see an SMR final result over 200 against me, I get broken in half. Against the Arena creatures, I was seeing 15-25 HP damage.)
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 09/08/2020 06:30 PM CDT
Don't get your hopes up about them being anything spectacular.
(Note that I'm trying to have THAT looked into as well, because when I see an SMR final result over 200 against me, I get broken in half. Against the Arena creatures, I was seeing 15-25 HP damage.)

Don't get your hopes up of things being overly powerful for some aspect of spells/skills/items when they're related to SMRv2.

Try your weapon on a creature that's 10-20 levels under you and see how the flares work out.

I swear by the extensive use of 917 by myself, I swear that it appears creatures that are higher level than I take lower damage/crits when compared to the same creatures that are lower levels.

For example, my capped wizard has 101 Wiz Ranks.
Triton Combantants are level 98 by default, but they gen (to my understanding) +/- 5 levels.
Using the APPRASE verb you can tell if something is like level, slightly under level or over level or way too easy (10+ levels under you) or very difficult compared to your current level.
When using APPRAISE COMBATANT and I'm up against ones that are like level and higher, they don't appear to crit as well with 917. Combatants that are lower level than my wizard tend to crit better and take higher damage.

I'd like to think it's one of the small hidden aspects of SMRv2 players aren't told about....kind of like how they finally admitted CS based damage is also impacted by the crit divisor of armors. Then again, maybe I'm just paranoid and imagining things.
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 09/09/2020 12:18 AM CDT
<When using APPRAISE COMBATANT and I'm up against ones that are like level and higher, they don't appear to crit as well with 917. Combatants that are lower level than my wizard tend to crit better and take higher damage.>

<I'd like to think it's one of the small hidden aspects of SMRv2 players aren't told about....kind of like how they finally admitted CS based damage is also impacted by the crit divisor of armors. Then again, maybe I'm just paranoid and imagining things.>

You're not imagining things. Level difference was mentioned as a factor in the release post for SMRv2 and players began discussing how much of a difference it made shortly after they began encountering it IG.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 09/09/2020 06:34 AM CDT
Looks like dispel flares are missing as of this morning. Zero flares on either of my dispel flaring weapons after multiple hunts.
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 09/09/2020 07:09 AM CDT
While I appreciate the advice to lower my expectations as well as the quoted material from one of the dozens of discord channel, I made the sigil staff purchase mostly due to an announcement put on the home page linking me to this official posting on the boards which is why I reached out to Estild here.

Therefore, I repeat my request that this be reviewed.

Thanks.
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 09/09/2020 08:21 AM CDT
Since I'm not on Discord for GemStone, I will state authoritatively that it got quoted from here on the Boards. (Which--they say--is still their official outlet for information.)

However, I believe that you're looking at/expecting the wrong thing. The announcement was for the materials, which have this as an inherent material property. The staff has it as part of the script... and it doesn't kick in until Tier 3. Tier 2 has only the attempt to dispel. Tier 3 adds the possibility of damage.

But I agree with you that the item needs looking over. Just not in the portion that you're looking at.
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 09/09/2020 02:10 PM CDT
Thanks, Krakii. I do appreciate the input and understand what you are providing. I will clarify that I was looking for a staff response so I will email staff separately instead.
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 09/09/2020 03:36 PM CDT
Feel free to let me know if Estild responds, because I emailed him--after doing a BugItem with the Tier5 when I started seeing things--during the Duskruin, and I have yet to see any changes.

(Basically, I want mine to work, too. :)

Because "what I'm seeing" and "what he wrote" are different things....
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 09/09/2020 05:34 PM CDT
From Discord:

Estild - Today at 11:07 AM
Dispel flares should be working again.
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 11/04/2020 06:27 AM CST
Kroderine weapons and shields default to 3 dispel attempts. Kroderine armor defaults to 5 dispel attempts. That's the maximum for normal items, so you cannot add more dispel attempts to kroderine since it starts at the maximum.

Out of curiosity - what can be done to kroderine items?

I know enchant/ensorcel are both blocked - can they have TD added? Defender bonus for weapons? Flares of any sort? Anything else from category B?

Anything from category D?

How about banes?
Re: Dispel Flares & Veil Iron/Krodera/Kroderine Updates 11/04/2020 03:07 PM CST
Nothing from category B (including TD, DB, flares etc), it already has dispel flares there.

It can have appropriate Cat D scripts and banes.