917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/18/2021 03:23 PM CDT
I've taken notice a while ago that the bonus I see from my wizard's 917 casts has been capped, significantly lower than it used to be, I've just been keeping mental notes on it for a while to make sure I'm not imagining things.

I'm on my phone so no paste and copy to show an example.....

The bonuses that add up from the target's status, health and wounds shows up as a bonus for the SMR results on the screen. Sometime in the past few months, at least, I've noticed the bonus now has a low ceiling.

In the past I've had the bonus get upwards of the low 100 before a creature might finally die.

Lately I've come to see the bonus is capped at a max of 80 (unless the target is immobilized, then the bonus is 100).

A creature that doesn't stun and is prone has a max bonus of 45.
A creature that can be stunned and is prone can have a max bonus of 80.
A creature that is neither stunned or prone appears to have a max bonus of 25.

So, when did this new cap get put in place?
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/20/2021 11:39 AM CDT
So....

Nerf for 917 or "everything is working as intended"?

I've had someone confirm in logs that as of the push out of PSM2 at the start of the year, the bonus roll of SMRv2 for 917 is hard capped at 80. Pre 2021 they have logs showing 80+ bonus for 917 casts.

They have mentioned other SMRv2 skills for abilites, such as charge, they see 80+ bonus rolls.

Right now it only appears this hard cap of 80 bonus is tied to spell 917.

The bonus cap appears to be specifically tied to the wound/health loss bonuses that stack. These seem to be capped at 25. So regardless of how many wounds and how much health is lost, the bonus is capped at 25. I don't know if there was a wound/health loss cap to begin with, but I know it wasn't 25 because the bonus on SMRv2 rolls for 917 used to hit 100+ at times.
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/25/2021 12:25 PM CDT
Still no comment from NIRs?

Was this change to capping the wounds/health loss a nerf, bug or some awesome (yeah.... it's not, actually) feature to 917?

I don't make use of other SMR stuff, so I don't know if other skills/sprlls are also restricted or not.

>incant 410
You trace a simple rune while intoning the mystical phrase for Elemental Wave...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a triton radical.
A wave of dark ethereal ripples moves outward from you.
A triton radical is buffeted by the dark ethereal waves and is knocked to the ground.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)
>incant 917 fire
Your hands glow with power as you invoke the phrase for Earthen Fury...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a triton radical.
The ground beneath a triton radical begins to boil violently!
Fiery debris explodes from the ground beneath a triton radical!
[SMR result: 158 (Open d100: 73, Bonus: 20)] - This Bonus: 20 is from the target being prone
... 40 points of damage!
Left leg burned off at the knee. Ouch.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>
[SMR result: 197 (Open d100: 67, Bonus: 42)] - This Bonus 42: is from the target being prone (+20) and wound+health loss (+22)
... 45 points of damage!
Right leg aflame. When the smoke clears, there's nothing left.
>
Craggy debris explodes from the ground beneath a triton radical!
[SMR result: 225 (Open d100: 92, Bonus: 45)] - Here you see the total bonus is capped at 45. 20 from prone, 25 from wound/health loss
... 50 points of damage!
Every bone in the left arm shattered and scattered about!
>l rad
You see a fairly typical triton radical that is lying down.
She has a completely severed left arm, a completely severed right leg and a completely severed left leg.
She has a corroded bronze scaling fork.
>
Craggy debris explodes from the ground beneath a triton radical!
[SMR result: 201 (Open d100: 69, Bonus: 45)] - Here you see the total bonus is capped at 45. 20 from prone, 25 from wound/health loss
... 30 points of damage!
Hard strike to right eye pops it!
>l rad
She has a completely severed left arm, a completely severed right leg, a completely severed left leg and a blinded right eye.
>
A triton radical steeples her clawed fingers together, murmuring a quick incantation.
>
[SMR result: 193 (Open d100: 57, Bonus: 45] - Here you see the total bonus is capped at 45. 20 from prone, 25 from wound/health loss
... 20 points of damage!
Nasty burns to abdomen, a triton radical shrieks in pain!
>l rad
She has a completely severed left arm, a completely severed right leg, a completely severed left leg, deep lacerations across her abdomen and a blinded right eye.
>
[SMR result: 226 (Open d100: 90, Bonus: 45)] - Here you see the total bonus is capped at 45. 20 from prone, 25 from wound/health loss
... 40 points of damage!
Flame engulfs foe's left eye, setting it ablaze. Mercifully, death follows quickly.
The triton radical gurgles once and goes still, a wrathful look on her face.
The dully illuminated mantle protecting a triton radical begins to falter, then completely fades away.
A white glow rushes away from a triton radical.
The dull golden nimbus fades from around a triton radical.
The brilliant aura fades away from a triton radical.
The very powerful look leaves a triton radical.
The white light leaves a triton radical.
The guiding force leaves a triton radical.
The ground beneath a triton radical suddenly calms.

The 25 bonus cap was never in place until the PSM stuff started coming out. So, I'm asking....

Bug?
Nerf?
Feature?
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/25/2021 12:34 PM CDT
Hey, as long as that cap is in place for "stuff cast at PCs", I am totally down with that.
(I would routinely see 80-120 penalties on later rounds, when "heavily-injured by previous rounds" has kicked in.)
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/25/2021 01:23 PM CDT
It's an intended change that was implemented 6 months ago when we were evaluating some SMRv2 result outliers.

GameMaster Estild
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/25/2021 02:10 PM CDT
Thank you for the reply.
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/25/2021 02:23 PM CDT
>It's an intended change that was implemented 6 months ago when we were evaluating some SMRv2 result outliers.

>GameMaster Estild

Just one suggestion for changes like these. Please let your user base know about these changes so they're not confused or irritated when things aren't working like they have been in years past.

I noticed this change some 4 or so months back, but being irritated with the loss of SMR defense from the PSM2 forced out I didn't play much for a few months so I kind of forgot about it until about a month back when I stared taking notes on it and watching to see if it was just my imagination that the bonus was adjusted down.

I'm kind of irritated with the change, it has dropped some of the effectiveness of 917 and has made getting kills on the first cast a bit more difficult. I'm have to recast 917 about 10-15% more often than I used to. One of my wizards uses only 917 and 502/519, he has no spell aim so he can't bolt. This downward adjustment means his hunting power has been diminished some.
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/25/2021 04:35 PM CDT
Note that a (primarily intended as a Bolting class) Wizard with NO skill in Aimed Spells is just as much of a mutant path as a WarWizard with full CM, or a Warrior with no weapon skills.
Translated: "that's on you, dog."

Many/most of the changes over the last several years have been adding more options to professions. Clerics used to be "Hit it with CS, or you lose." (Okay... they had a bolt spell. Then two. Now, they have three that I can remember, AND a maneuver. In addition to their warding attacks, disablers, and something that has the potential to "cast it again, Sam.")

Deliberately backing yourself into a corner of limited options is... yeah, that's still on you. <shrug>
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/25/2021 05:21 PM CDT
<Deliberately backing yourself into a corner of limited options is... yeah, that's still on you.>

Very much this.

Some professions/builds have more ability to diversify then others for various reasons, but going all in on one tactic for hunting will almost always limit hunting options to one degree or another. This isn't so bad early on since there's a plethora of options, but once a character gets to level 80 or 90 there aren't a lot of options for where to hunt and just about everything has immunities, resistances, and/or abilities that make them difficult and/or impossible to use various tactics on them (not to mention the conditions in precap and capped hunting areas can make some tactics frustrating at best).

Going all in on CS spells, sniping, bolting, etc can make a character immensely powerful against critters that are weak against them.... but any empath that put all their TPs into maximizing CS for Bone Shatter is gonna have a tough time against anything that lacks bones and sniping rogues find a whole lot of critters on the way to cap that are just not worth the effort or are completely impossible (anything in plate, noncorp, lacking eyes, golems, etc).

One of the best things about pures and semis is that they are easy as heck to diversify well enough to hunt in most places they care to without having to fixskill into a completely different hunting style. By all means, put more TPs into beefing up your favorite spell/ability, but if you're a semi or pure it doesn't cost much to invest in a couple others to make them useful enough to be back-ups.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/25/2021 07:43 PM CDT
Note that a (primarily intended as a Bolting class) Wizard with NO skill in Aimed Spells is just as much of a mutant path as a WarWizard with full CM, or a Warrior with no weapon skills.
Translated: "that's on you, dog."
Many/most of the changes over the last several years have been adding more options to professions. Clerics used to be "Hit it with CS, or you lose." (Okay... they had a bolt spell. Then two. Now, they have three that I can remember, AND a maneuver. In addition to their warding attacks, disablers, and something that has the potential to "cast it again, Sam.")
Deliberately backing yourself into a corner of limited options is... yeah, that's still on you. <shrug>

I just love how someone - could be anyone - posts some kind of distaste about a change and you chime in to defend the GMs or chastise the person for their choices. Shame on you. You're not being constructive. You're just coming off as a smart mouth.

I wasn't asking for folks to come to Simu's rescue over the stealth nerfs they put out there. I was merely pointing out my distaste for it and also the fact that the information only comes out to us after someone badgers them enough to let us know that, yes, a "fix" was put in place.

Honestly, how many other people out there actually noticed the stealth cap put in place?

One of the best things about pures and semis is that they are easy as heck to diversify well enough to hunt in most places they care to without having to fixskill into a completely different hunting style. By all means, put more TPs into beefing up your favorite spell/ability, but if you're a semi or pure it doesn't cost much to invest in a couple others to make them useful enough to be back-ups.

I understand the idea of wizards - bolt! Yeah! Bolt! They're designed around bolting.

Yet we're given other routes to be successful and only to have them brought down a peg or two because NIR decided so.

519 used to be a great way to hunt with a wizard, it's kind of "meh" now in comparison and not really worth the mana it costs to rely on it as a main hunting spell.
415 was a solid go to spell until the "bug" that allowed a single target to be hit twice was removed.
917 was a great hunting spell (and is still pretty solid), but it's now been taken down a peg on it's dependability without a single peep from NIRs.

They design spells for wizards so they don't have to solely rely on casting bolts, only to strip the power level down from these spells. I don't see why anyone is okay with these changes.

My capped mage that does bolt, I really haven't felt any change. He bolts around 70% of the time and casts 917 around 30% of the time with some tossed in 519 and 502 here and there.

My level 98 mage that has been solely using 917/502 since level 27 has adjusted what he hunts due to not using bolts. He's progressed just fine. I found new hunting grounds that I've never hunted before with a bolting mage. I've even found creatures I would normally avoid with a bolting mage to be great creatures to hunt with 917. Now that a cap has been snuck in there, I find that 917 is slightly less effective for my level 98 mage....I think it sucks. I think it sucks we weren't told about the change put in place nearly 6 months back.

In the end, you guys can spin it all you want to make yourself feel better or to coddle the GMs if you want, but these stealth nerfs absolutely suck - regardless of what they nerf. They put out the nerfs and don't tell people. Even if they have a good reason for it it's like a big no, no. Don't tell anyone. And that is what pisses me off the most, that they don't tell anyone. On top of it, it takes over a week to even get a response about it. The response itself was something, but it felt kind of like a PR reply - tell the guy something that kind of answers his question without actually giving him a reason as to why.....at least it was something....even though it felt pretty bland, but it was something to acknowledge the a change was made.
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/25/2021 08:36 PM CDT
I agree with you that stealth nerfs aren't good. For what it's worth, it seems like staff tries to announce changes when they can -- sometimes well in advance. I think the problem in this case is we're dealing with a spell that is also cast frequently AT characters, and every few weeks there is a new thread with someone fuming about it. This has made it difficult to balance what players want when they use it with what they can accept on the receiving end. Changing some of the numbers over time is one way to tune it, and I'm pretty sure it was announced soon after the spell was released that it would be subject to ongoing review. Even with the new cap, it's a great spell to hunt with.

I think the spell critters cast should be separate from the one characters cast. Put Boil Earth in the Arcane list and buff it a little bit, but separate it from Earthen Fury. There are all kinds of spells and effects in the game we'd have a problem with if critters used them on us.
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/25/2021 08:49 PM CDT
>>Honestly, how many other people out there actually noticed

I think this is a pretty fair question - and exemplifies the point you're trying to make in my view. I think it would be pretty cool when something like this is being contemplated, if the GMs could reach out to two or three of the players likely affected and say 'hey, hit the test server and run a few dozen casts of 917 and let me know what you think'. This has been tried a time or two and never with good results, so we made our own beds there.

The problem it feels is a sense of lack of good-faith dealings. Every change is a 'nerf' to someone. Even a change that does nothing but adjust one profession slightly upwards is oft considered as undesirable by the current power profession that didn't get adjusted upwards a like amount. Damn hard road. . .

I can say I'm honestly happy that some players enjoy watching this stuff to the point that such changes can be called out. I never would have known that what took me 10 casts yesterday suddenly takes me 11 today.

Doug
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/25/2021 09:20 PM CDT
It's always our intention to announce changes when implemented. This simply slipped through. With the hundreds to thousands of changes we make each year, it sometimes happens, but fortunately is an extremely rare occurrence.

GameMaster Estild
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/25/2021 09:42 PM CDT
It's always our intention to announce changes when implemented. This simply slipped through. With the hundreds to thousands of changes we make each year, it sometimes happens, but fortunately is an extremely rare occurrence.
GameMaster Estild

Not a shot at you, Estild, but this has been an ongoing issue for years. It could be minor things or major things. A few off the top of my head (correct me if I'm wrong) that may or may not have pissed a lot of people off:

Treasure nerf in the confluence.

Loot cap.

Merchants able to unlocked, locked enchanted projects: Back during the last enchanting change and items could be LOCKED. We were told RSN it would possible for merchants to unlock the locked enchanted items....yet it took multiple times of folks asking when it was going to be implemented so they could get locked items unlocked at a merchant and no word ever came about until one day someone was complaining on the forums about sitting on a locked project for months and getting pissed they couldn't get it unlocked. Finally a NIR chimed in that it's been possible to have a merchant unlock items for a while now and then made it sound like it's the players fault for not asking merchants.....seriously?

917 SMR bonus adjustment (cough nerf cough).

Don't you guys have a plan in place to post bug fixes/adjustments/new additions/removals of things in the game that you could post on the forums? You know, make an official Update/Bug report topic that only GMs can post in (restrict posting for users...basically a read only topic for players) just post a monthly update on any and all changes?

I guess my last question about the 917 bonus adjustment. Is this capped bonus for SMR only tied to 917 or does it apply to all SMRv2 skills/abilities on both creature and player sides?
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/25/2021 10:05 PM CDT
BBRODRIGUEZ
Not a shot at you, Estild, but this has been an ongoing issue for years. It could be minor things or major things. A few off the top of my head (correct me if I'm wrong) that may or may not have pissed a lot of people off:

You're conflating two separate issues - unannounced vs. unpopular changes. We try not to do the former and there's only a handful of times it's happened over the last several years. We also try not to do the latter, but game balance is not a popularity contest and I don't know of a single online game that treats it like one. We sometimes have to make unpopular changes for the overall good of the game. For the record, we received significantly more positive than negative feedback on the loot cap.

BBRODRIGUEZ
Don't you guys have a plan in place to post bug fixes/adjustments/new additions/removals of things in the game that you could post on the forums? You know, make an official Update/Bug report topic that only GMs can post in (restrict posting for users...basically a read only topic for players) just post a monthly update on any and all changes?

Yes, we have a process. And processes can fail.

BBRODRIGUEZ
I guess my last question about the 917 bonus adjustment. Is this capped bonus for SMR only tied to 917 or does it apply to all SMRv2 skills/abilities on both creature and player sides?

It was an update to the SMRv2 system itself, so it affects all SMRv2 rolls for both characters and creatures.

GameMaster Estild
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/26/2021 12:32 AM CDT
>You're conflating two separate issues - unannounced vs. unpopular changes.

No, I'm not. I don't recall the changes I listed ever being made officially announced. But, searching through the official announcement folder can be daunting so it is possible I missed them. And those are the few changes that stick out in my mind.

>For the record, we received significantly more positive than negative feedback on the loot cap.

I never said the loot cap was bad, but I could certainly make arguments for both pros and cons, but that is not what my question was about.

>Yes, we have a process. And processes can fail.

So, you guys are telling me you have a place on the forums that's lists a change document of all changes that players can read about each month? Guess I suck at navigating the forums because I haven't seen it.

>It was an update to the SMRv2 system itself, so it affects all SMRv2 rolls for both characters and creatures.

Okay. I guess I find it odd I've had people show me use of SMRv2 abilities/skills that still generate a bonus on the calculation that exceeds what I am able to produce using 917. That's why I was asking, because right now it seems like 917 took a small adjustment, but other skills/abilitirs haven't.....

Unless all skills/spells/abilities build up the bonus portion of the SMRv2 calulation differently...?
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/26/2021 05:40 AM CDT
There have been changes that I've missed over the years myself... mainly because I really don't care about keeping up with them. I'd wager that a slight difference in your personal gameplay is pretty much what I've experienced myself. But again, I really don't care that much.

Recently, game staff have posted Google documents related to proposed changes to systems... heck, they've actually encouraged feedback through those documents. That never happened before. I don't remember where all of them are or were, but I know I've seen them.

I don't know what you've missed, how long you've been gone, or how long you've been playing. And honestly, I don't care (because I don't expect anyone else to care about the same things with me). But I do know one thing... staff is more open to opinions now than they have been in the past. Will they actually change things? Sure, sometimes they will, sometimes they won't.

As far as cookie cutter builds go, I can assure you that none of mine are cookie anything. And I still have fun playing them. I don't buy fixskills or fixstats either with money or SimuCoins. And I have literally no reason to brownnose with staff because, honestly, they don't really like me all that much (which is why I don't post on the officials that often).

This is MY personal game experience. I'm not trying to detract upon yours at all because, well, I'm not you. I don't know you.

And by "YOU", I mean the general you... cause ya'll are just crazy. But, that's also why I keep coming back. I kinda like the crazy.

Anyway... take it easy. And don't take candy from strangers.

Cheers.
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/26/2021 05:43 AM CDT
"I just love how someone - could be anyone - posts some kind of distaste about a change and you chime in to defend the GMs or chastise the person for their choices." -- BBRodriguez

I'm not chastising you, I'm pointing out that you made a conscious choice, went through a character progression all the way to cap... and are now complaining that it might not be entirely optimal.

In my D&D5e game, one of the characters is a Barbarian. His skill set basically boils down to, "Hit something with a stick." After making 5th level, it now includes, "Hit it again."
- What about something you cannot reach for melee?
* Useless.
- What about something immune to the damage type of your weapon?
* Useless.

It's exactly the same thing as what you built around. Awesome damage with that ONE aspect--you happen to luck into a second one, with CS spells--of combat... but if something reduces the power of that, it affects you disproportionately.

72 spells available to Wizards in three lists, over 10% of them use Aimed Spells. ClueStick?

There was just recently a directly analogous conversation over in the weapon-users' talking about <some weapon type> against <some creature type>; I think it was slashing versus undead? Something to do with the new weapon skills coming in PSM3, I don't recall the specifics.
And the point was... you train in "Edged". Use a different one, when hunting <that particular type of creature>.
"But I want to use this weapon!" Fine, learn the CMan to select the type of damage that it deals.
"But I don't wanna!"

Substitute "sink all my training into Earthen Fury/ignore other avenues" for "slashing damage weapon against undead/insist on that weapon", and it is literally the same conversation.

Any character deliberately and consciously being a One Trick Pony--particularly at the level of the game that you are at--is NOT the GMs' fault.
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/26/2021 07:27 AM CDT
>KRAKII

Sorry man, but you're take on this is just bad. Shadow nerfing a main attack style sucks, particularly when it is an interesting/viable alternative to the primary style that ~100% of people agree is boring. In turn blaming a player because they were using one mainstay attack spell and not a different mainstay attack spell (almost all bolting hunts can be boiled down to 903) is not the way to respond. Even the GMs didn't stoop to that argument. Just take the L and walk away from this one.

>72 spells available to Wizards in three lists, over 10% of them use Aimed Spells. ClueStick?

Also,
Of the 67 weapons available to bards, over 20% of them are brawling weapons. Heck, of the 10 attack spells available to paladins, 20% are bolt spells.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/26/2021 08:27 AM CDT
I think his point was just not to put all your eggs in one basket. Lots of characters still need to use alternate strategies hunting certain critters, and will carry different weapons or "tools" to do so.
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/26/2021 08:48 AM CDT
I suspect BBR knows the point of eggs in baskets, given what has been shared about mage types portrayed.

I suspect this is a point more of player expectation than it is a point of character mechanics.

Doug
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/26/2021 09:05 AM CDT
<Recently, game staff have posted Google documents related to proposed changes to systems... heck, they've actually encouraged feedback through those documents. That never happened before. I don't remember where all of them are or were, but I know I've seen them.>

Might be missing a couple, but here's the links to the ones I cared about enough to bookmark:

Archery- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z6rt_HxSgSrmAoOwhVKmlgjG5vvSkHRn8c6CConnS7U/edit#

Ranger spells- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k6dEeEhpsnyaFOePHUvPwxT7fUQ0IfyzLcsul2VZEEs/edit

SMR- https://docs.google.com/document/d/13jRROmbQMFwmLn8MqtMY82ODpmbK4-slQemVNvhEny0/edit

Skill TP changes- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T3ogxn9RxZVlTVhPNInFl2XwLB7jOWEGHEs9pbHkg8w/edit

PSM- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eSyzok0aMhP8AuP7TufyMymHmqOm0tRoSP0Ragh3p88/edit#

Sorcerer- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vFQcOJVAVCMLnXD8UksBBxgFJDJE4xMVXCdVmxXPFBk/edit

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/26/2021 09:43 AM CDT
Wow...a few of you seem to not comprehend what a change document should consist of.

A monthly recap/update of all changes done. Make all changes visible. It is not hard to compile a list as changes are made and post the list on a monthly basis.

This way, nerfs or shadow changes can't be hidden away from all bodies; GMs and players.

One of the most embarrassing shadow changes/nerfs was the confluence treasure nerf that Methais questioned about over and over again. At one point Estlid and Wyrom commented about it on Discord:

Wyrom says, "Yeah, I didn't see any changes in terms of Confluence loot, so it was something in the core system that I didn't catch."

Followed by a comment from Estild that said, "There was a change. We're not going to go into details about it. It's Coase's discretion on if he wants to elaborate on that or not."

A proper list of changes to the game should be something provided in an easy to find spot. Make a new topic that is read only for players. Have GMs add thier changes made to the list as they do them (put links to more detailed info - like google docs or the gswiki) then have a GM post it for players to see.

Here would be an example:
May 2021 update list
Spells
917 - bonus adjustments calculation capped for wounds+health loss at 25
101 - duration was not calculating correctly. This has been fixed.
CMANS
Sweep has been removed from trainable CMAN skills. Sweep can only be learned by rogues that train for it in the rogue guild.
Skills
Trading was over calculating at the pawnshops by 10%. This bug has been corrected.
System changes
PSM3 is now live. Detailed info can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eSyzok0aMhP8AuP7TufyMymHmqOm0tRoSP0Ragh3p88/edit#

Many games I've played in the past and currently play, they will post all changes/fixes in thier patch notes. I don't see why something similar couldnt be done here.
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/26/2021 10:57 AM CDT
> 917 - bonus adjustments calculation capped for wounds+health loss at 25

I know this wasn't the point of your post and I do agree with a changelog (that's another topic), but I don't want someone reading this and misinterpreting it. There were situations where creatures and players were hitting far more of a penalty than we from wounds stacking up. We get alerted when a SMR modifier is outside the bounds of the design which is why it was noticed and why it was corrected. This change had nothing to do with 917 itself, or PSM: Phase 2. If it was intended as part of Phase 2 it would have been in the design document with everything else.

The injury portion of SMR has been capped at -250 since around the New Year. This translates to a penalty of 25 for the defender, or a bonus of 25 for the attacker. This cap applies to both creatures and players.
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/26/2021 12:22 PM CDT
It was an update to the SMRv2 system itself, so it affects all SMRv2 rolls for both characters and creatures.
GameMaster Estild

I don't know, Estild. It's starting to feel like it was an adjustment just to 917. So, either some skills got missed on applying a bonus cap or only the cap was applied to 917?

Here are some skills that clearly show the bonus can build up past the cap that 917 appears to have. These skills were used today.

5/26/21
[SMR result: 219 (Open d100: 12, Bonus: 102)] (kneeled)
You feint to the left, a stone giant buys the ruse and twists awkwardly to block the blow that never came!
Roundtime: 3 sec.
[SMR result: 267 (Open d100: 66, Bonus: 102)] (same individual as above, kneeled)
Your size greatly hinders your attack!
Awesome charge and a stone giant is sent crashing to the ground!
... 20 points of damage!
Pierced through neck, a fine shot!
[SMR result: 288 (Open d100: 91, Bonus: 104)] (different individual, kneeled)
Your size greatly hinders your attack!
A stone giant's feet are swept roughly from under him!
... 7 points of damage!
Torn muscle in the stone giant's right leg!
Roundtime: 2 sec.
[SMR result: 245 (Open d100: 41, Bonus: 99)] (different individual, prone)
You feint high, a stone giant buys the ruse and twists awkwardly to block the blow that never came!

Or some kind of variation between race or class....but I'm looking into that on my end right now.....

I only mention this possible scenario because 2 different dwarfs (different classes), same level and at 4 ranks of feint, they cap out at a 45 bonus on a highly wounded and prone target. Whereas a giantman I tested, same level with 4 ranks of feint gets a bonus of 53 on the same creature.
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/26/2021 02:52 PM CDT
> I don't know, Estild. It's starting to feel like it was an adjustment just to 917. So, either some skills got missed on applying a bonus cap or only the cap was applied to 917?

I've already said this was not the case.

> Here are some skills that clearly show the bonus can build up past the cap that 917 appears to have. These skills were used today.

Maneuvers such as feint, charge, and sweep in your examples go through PSM and have additional modifiers on top of the base SMR system. These are the likely cause for additional bonus you see. The displayed bonuses have absolutely nothing to do with race or profession outside of access to certain boosting maneuvers. Racial size modifiers will modify the roll after the display similar to how the channeled warding bonus modifies that roll. For example, stone giants are huge so the charge you listed as a 267 roll is being reduced by 30-40 due to their massive size. The final roll is 227 to 237. These modifiers existed prior to the SMR conversion, but was done as part of the roll (shown as bonus/penalty) meaning you were more likely to outright miss rather than your damage being reduced if you connected.

Note: everything listed below was present in CML rolls and were translated with the exact same bonus/penalty to SMR. Many of the modifiers listed did not show as a bonus/penalty in the CML roll and were instead just hidden in the final roll itself. They are now intentionally listed as bonuses/penalties to more accurately reflect what's applying and remove that hidden factor. You can use CMAN HELP {skill} and look at the attributes listed to get a general idea of what modifiers may apply per maneuver.

Some examples of modifiers include:

* Weapon Specialization: up to a +10 bonus for weapon based maneuvers. Can also apply a +10 bonus to the defender.
* Weapon Bonding (and 1625): up to a +10 bonus for weapon based maneuvers. Can also apply a +10 bonus to the defender.
* Skill discretionary modifiers such as having a bonus to subdue with a blackjack.
* Crowd Press.
* Spikes on applicable gear.
* Having bulky items (penalty) for maneuvers like tackle.
* Shield Focus: applies in a similar fashion as weapon bonding/weapon specialization.
* Modifying your GLD STANCE.
* Having Martial Prowess (Moonstone Cubes) active.

Now, let's dissect that kneeling stone giant. I'm making some assumptions since I lack all the information, but the following is probably pretty close to what happened:

* Max Wounds: +25
* Kneeling: +25
* Stunned: +35
* Weapon Specialization: +6 to +10. +6 is the minimum for weapon bonding, and a common stopping point for weapon specialization.
* Weapon Bonding: +10

That adds up to a total max bonus of 105. If you have weapon specialization 3, that adds up to a total bonus of 101. It's not exactly 102, but that's pretty close.
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/26/2021 03:15 PM CDT
Until GemStone makes their own, Miss Leafiara works really hard each month to consolidate the announced updates, changes, and new things in the GemStone Changelog.

:)

https://gstowncrier.com/category/gsiv_changelog/

--
ESP TUNE TOWNCRIER or ;tune towncrier
Web: http://gstowncrier.com/
Daily Email: gstowncrier.com/subscribe/

gstowncrier.com/where-to-find-the-towncrier/

Send in news: https://bit.ly/2ISsz2l

P.S. Help Wanted, Inquire Within
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/26/2021 10:47 PM CDT
Naijin - Thanks for the break down. Makes more sense with things now.

One thing still bothers me, though. I'm unsure why it's taken years to fix the aspect of the SMR bonus roll value when it has been "outside the bounds of the design" for such a long time. I understand why you guys say it was fixed and how it functions now, but come on....seriously....it's taken years to fix it?

I did a lot of testing with SMRv2 and 917 back in start of 2019 (that's over 2 years ago now) and I did testing on wounds and health loss and I was able to successfully figure out the bonus of the equation based on wounds and health loss, being prone and/or stunned. Much to my surprise over the past 4+ months things were no longer adding up and there had been no mention of any kind of adjustment. I do hope you guys can see how this looks like a stealth nerf.

I also do hope you guys can start actually filling out a basic change log and putting up a monthly update. This way instead of digging through what could be 10s or possible hundreds of "Official Announcement" posts, someone could just check the change log topic and open up a couple of monthly logs and do a quick browser search (ctrl+F while using Chrome) to hopefully find a snippet of useful information or a link to more information (such as a google doc or gswiki page).
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/27/2021 02:56 PM CDT
>It's always our intention to announce changes when implemented. This simply slipped through. With the hundreds to thousands of changes we make each year, it sometimes happens, but fortunately is an extremely rare occurrence.

>GameMaster Estild

This is why change logs should be mandatory.

Speaking of change logs, why aren't they mandatory?

~ Methais
Re: 917 nerf or dramatic adjustment for the fancy PSM stuff? 05/27/2021 03:00 PM CDT
>For the record, we received significantly more positive than negative feedback on the loot cap.

I'm going to assume that Discord was the primary source of feedback on this?

~ Methais