Enter the Hinterwilds 05/05/2022 11:43 PM CDT
Intrepid cartographers have used the knowledge provided by last night's flight of the Firebird to map caravan routes to the Hinterwilds! Visit the stables at the Abbey of the Vigilant Heart in Icemule Trace and INQUIRE about a visit... if you dare.

Additionally, with the aid of the warlock Ellerel Barrowfoot, the Sisters of Hope have managed to establish stable two-way travel to the Hinterwilds by portal. This option is available at the Teleportation Chamber in the Abbey, or in the Hinterwilds from the alchemist Sparkfinger. It's quicker and safer (for the most part) but gigas artifact fragments are used to power the demanding magics!

Auchand
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/06/2022 12:29 AM CDT
Congratulations on the new hunting area!

We've been following all the stories the last week-ish on live streams, from embedded reporters, in Tweeted events, and it's been very exciting!

I note a single line at the wiki in the small Divergence section that I need some further clarification about:

* Song of Sonic Disruption (1030): reduced damage (similar to Grimswarm).

I don't know a thing about Grimswarm. So, just how much damage gets reduced? Bards are already one of the most mana-intensive professions out there because all we have for a main damage song is a 30th circle one. And if you are a pure build on top of that, well, that is pretty much all a bardess can do.

I have heard tell that bards should not even bother to show up. I'd just like to have this verified, please.

Thank you ever so much,
Luxie

P.S. And are these things listed at the wiki the only mechanical changes to the Hinterwilds that we will face?

--
ESP TUNE TOWNCRIER or ;tune towncrier
Web: http://gstowncrier.com/
Daily Email: gstowncrier.com/subscribe/

gstowncrier.com/where-to-find-the-towncrier/

Send in news: https://bit.ly/2ISsz2l

P.S. Help Wanted, Inquire Within
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/06/2022 12:32 AM CDT
Question number two ... since I expected it to be at the wiki, (it's not), and did not ask in the first message!

What is Spell Sever?

Thank you again,
L.

--

Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/06/2022 12:40 AM CDT
Could we open up Cold River to 740? I'd gladly pay two fine chalks to get there and back.
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/06/2022 10:08 AM CDT
>What is Spell Sever?

Its a mechanic to control the amount of outside spells that can be worn. You get to keep 2 outside spells and the rest get severed in an area with sever. Like spellburst, except its the same limit for everyone and you don't go bang when the spells vanish.
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/06/2022 11:53 AM CDT
Happens "upon entry"?

Can you then cast up more (items, scrolls) when you're inside? If so, does it re-trigger at some point?

Your choice of which two? "Most recently cast"? Highest level? Longest remaining duration?

Easiest to go in nekkid/self-cast only, then add what you can get away with?
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/06/2022 01:07 PM CDT
Thank you Mister Rathbone!

I wonder why it was not on the wiki!

If I only go there with 2 outside spells, it will strip nothing? That way I can choose which spells I need most?

Not that I'm going until I understand what has been done to my attack song. :)

~L.

--

Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/06/2022 01:40 PM CDT
Remember that it does not have to be your go-to opening:
- Depression to slow them down (things that attack you at "their speed... plus three seconds" are a LOT less dangerous);
- and oh by the way, now your Disruption damages them harder, too;
- Banshee's Wail/1008 to keep them doing the Bar Shuffle. (Fall down, stand up. Fall down, stand up. Repeat.)
- And oh by the way, now IT does more damage, too, see also "Disruption" as above.

I spent something like the last 40+ levels hitting my Alt+T macro to "renew Depression\r" whenever there was a change in room status (either I moved, or one of them walked in). (Where 'T' stood for 'TD, you get none.' Well, okay, 'you get less'.) From the Illoke Stronghold to yeti & minotaurs to the Red Forest treekin and back to the harder Illoke in the Bowels, everything in the room with me moved more slowly. WORLDS of difference.

And, as I say, once you do get around to smacking out some damage, you do more per cast. (At the time was at -30 TD pushdown, which means +18hp damage straight across. Five things in the room? +90 [total, amortized over all the ones I hit]

Since making cap I've increased my ML:Telepathy--I was looking for longer Tonis duration, but I'll take the others, too--with both Enhancives and Ascension training, so I now dish out -37 TD (up from -30) and +4 RT (rather than +2), for a total of +5 RT (Song has one built in) rather than +3. Things. Move. Slowly.
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/06/2022 02:18 PM CDT
(With that said...)

Mind you, you cannot now get used to that, since Depression is primed for the butcher block with the Bard rewrite. Last I heard, it was going to be:
- auto-succes (not warding check);
- no such thing as 'renew' (so "pay the full 15 mana every time");
- no ML:Telepathy additions to RT (so "you get the -1 base from the song"... and even that I asked for confirmation on but received only white noise/empty air response).

With the rewrite, there's a good chance that ML:Telepathy will be the next best thing to useless. No more adding to medley length (max mana reduced by Songs instead), no more Depression boosts. +AS from Kai's, and long Tonis duration.

MAYBE if Kai's added to CS (and yes, I would be fine with the .6 that seems to be the norm nowadays), and MAYBE if what is currently the Lore benefit to future RT, were given as IMMEDIATE RT (in the same manner that Slow was updated to do, and which I've been saying should have been done to Depression as of about .029898312 seconds after the Elemental Lore Review did that for Slow), then there might be something there.
But there's a big difference between "renew for 6 mana" and "cast again for 15 mana" (and get a lot less benefit to go with that 250% price tag).
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/06/2022 02:57 PM CDT
I always toss down DEPRESSION on big things.

I am not sure that the line I read at the wiki said Disruption damages them more ... it said less.

I never bother with Stunning Shout, it's still too much mana for little effect.

Luxie is an elf. She is either fine, or dead. The name of the game in a hunt is STILL, to this day, kill them REALLY fast, before they kill the bardess. At 16m exp. She's got decent gear. Not state of the art Mister Roblar gear, but, very respectable stuff.

If I can kill a thing in three disruptions, I do it, and stop for no other songs along the way which do not contribute damage.

For champions, Reim Royals, Bosses, etc, I use Depress, Vibechant, and then Disruption. And then it's a mana war.

Except for the Throne room in Reim, where I still can't do it solo, even with a full load of mana and no song renewals in the middle. In there, I am out of mana long before the Emperor is dead.

See why I am asking for clarification?

As for the Bard Review ... when a new proposal comes up, I will weigh the things I use against what is being proposed to replace them, and comment. :) Hopefully the next proposal will last long enough for me to comment on!

But with it on the cutting room floor, I have enough GemStone things to juggle than to fret over things that may or may not happen one way or another.

Between Mana, TD, maneuvers, and the new generation of spells that act like maneuvers ... this bardess is still a small fry.

--

Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/06/2022 03:54 PM CDT
Disruption causing more damage because their TD is now lower. (I thought everyone knew that. :)

Stunning Shout actually does have some good baked into it, inasmuch as it has that continuing effect. (Fall down, and have to spend an action getting back up.) Now, if they're Depressed, then the time they spend getting around to "get back up again" just got that much longer, too.

I gave up on using +3 seconds for Depression in the DR Arena: once Wyrom made Champions able to die by crit, I would rather just spend +4 mana (10 for Disrupt vs. Depression's 6) and do a round of damage. I went from being a "Depression plus 4 Disrupt" (and frequently 5, 6, 8, even 10 Disrupt, if I kept hitting crap body parts) to "usually 1 Disrupt and I'm seeing the Announcer back, 2 happens but not often, 3 is pretty infrequent, and 4+ is rare." I think the last time we compared, you had even more spells than I did so your CS should be high enough to smoke them, as well. I'm at 522 with BardSongs right now.

Likewise in Reim: most things die after 2 Disrupt, and the very few that don't are not usually spellcasters, so a VibeChant will then take them out for only 2 mana. Area-Bosses yes, I do still Depress them, just because they frequently do maneuvers. I also VibeChant them, since one of the ones they like is Shield Bash and Shield Charge. Got no shield, got no Charge.

Royals I do similarly: stand up, depression first. (ONLY possible exception is if the Emperor has a "feras anything", in which case he gets VibeChanted at.)
I take out her runestaff first, because if his hands are empty and hers gets knocked down, he may grab it. (Also, her staves are routinely in the "note" range when pawned, compared to his weapon/shield routinely being in the "1k-3k" range when pawned. If I have to flee, I would rather have hers, than his.)
Yes, there are frequent "prep 417/cast empress" liberally salted through all activity, but remember: they are now both moving slowly, and he has no more weapons/shield to act with. That means that you're facing a bare-fist swing, or whatever she casts, or any "other" CMans that he knows in this incarnation.
Typically I now go back, Unravel my Depression off of her, renew to hit the chewy mana center, and lay out Depression again. Then I elemental saturation on her, renew Unravel to get some more mana, and saturation on him. Now just drain her dry with renewing Unravel--leavened with Dispel to keep her under control--and when she's empty, get ready to lay down mass-Disrupt. I'm used to seeing close to 150 usable mana pulled from her, usually over 3-5 total pulls.
And no, I feel no qualms whatsoever about stowing my staves, and pulling out the two that give me a total of +15 mana recovery, for a 'mana pulse' when I need to reload, either. My mana recovery off-node is 53. When I pull out those two and issue a 'mana pulse' command, I'm getting back 135. (After accounting for PowerSong, worn Enhancives & those two staves, Ascension mana recovery, Mana Focus "the moistening" effect, and the GoS Sigil for +5.)
When I'm doing mass-casts, I'm holding the +4 AURa bonus T5 mana flare staff in the right, so every so often one of those 20-mana casts is free.
Since it is also T5 Ensorcell, every so often one of those 20 mana casts kicks back mana from an Ensorcell flare.
Once the first one of them drops/the other one goes Berserk, I 'swap' (to retain the +CS in the left hand) and get out the Sigil Staff, also T5 Ensorcell--so occasional free mana as above--and also T5 script (so occasional "free second cast", so second round of damage for no mana cost and no +RT).

Basically, if the Emperor doesn't flatten me in the first MStrike when the 5s kneel ends, I have essentially free rein over them. Almost all of it caused by the fact that they move so slowly, from being Depressed. (And that was true even before I jacked up the Telepathy ranks. Now it's just so much more obvious.)
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/07/2022 12:21 AM CDT
>Disruption causing more damage because their TD is now lower. (I thought everyone knew that. :)

>Stunning Shout actually does have some good baked into it, inasmuch as it has that continuing effect. (Fall down, and have to spend an action getting back up.) Now, if they're Depressed, then the time they spend getting around to "get back up again" just got that much longer, too.

>.

>I gave up on using +3 seconds for Depression in the DR Arena: once Wyrom made Champions able to die by crit, I would rather just spend +4 mana (10 for Disrupt vs. Depression's 6) and do a round of damage. I went from being a "Depression plus 4 Disrupt" (and frequently 5, 6, 8, even 10 Disrupt, if I kept hitting crap body parts) to "usually 1 Disrupt and I'm seeing the Announcer back, 2 happens but not often, 3 is pretty infrequent, and 4+ is rare." I think the last time we compared, you had even more spells than I did so your CS should be high enough to smoke them, as well. I'm at 522 with BardSongs right now.

>Likewise in Reim: most things die after 2 Disrupt, and the very few that don't are not usually spellcasters, so a VibeChant will then take them out for only 2 mana. Area-Bosses yes, I do still Depress them, just because they frequently do maneuvers. I also VibeChant them, since one of the ones they like is Shield Bash and Shield Charge. Got no shield, got no Charge.

>Royals I do similarly: stand up, depression first. (ONLY possible exception is if the Emperor has a "feras anything", in which case he gets VibeChanted at.)
I take out her runestaff first, because if his hands are empty and hers gets knocked down, he may grab it. (Also, her staves are routinely in the "note" range when pawned, compared to his weapon/shield routinely being in the "1k-3k" range when pawned. If I have to flee, I would rather have hers, than his.)
Yes, there are frequent "prep 417/cast empress" liberally salted through all activity, but remember: they are now both moving slowly, and he has no more weapons/shield to act with. That means that you're facing a bare-fist swing, or whatever she casts, or any "other" CMans that he knows in this incarnation.
Typically I now go back, Unravel my Depression off of her, renew to hit the chewy mana center, and lay out Depression again. Then I elemental saturation on her, renew Unravel to get some more mana, and saturation on him. Now just drain her dry with renewing Unravel--leavened with Dispel to keep her under control--and when she's empty, get ready to lay down mass-Disrupt. I'm used to seeing close to 150 usable mana pulled from her, usually over 3-5 total pulls.
And no, I feel no qualms whatsoever about stowing my staves, and pulling out the two that give me a total of +15 mana recovery, for a 'mana pulse' when I need to reload, either. My mana recovery off-node is 53. When I pull out those two and issue a 'mana pulse' command, I'm getting back 135. (After accounting for PowerSong, worn Enhancives & those two staves, Ascension mana recovery, Mana Focus "the moistening" effect, and the GoS Sigil for +5.)
When I'm doing mass-casts, I'm holding the +4 AURa bonus T5 mana flare staff in the right, so every so often one of those 20-mana casts is free.
Since it is also T5 Ensorcell, every so often one of those 20 mana casts kicks back mana from an Ensorcell flare.
Once the first one of them drops/the other one goes Berserk, I 'swap' (to retain the +CS in the left hand) and get out the Sigil Staff, also T5 Ensorcell--so occasional free mana as above--and also T5 script (so occasional "free second cast", so second round of damage for no mana cost and no +RT).

>Basically, if the Emperor doesn't flatten me in the first MStrike when the 5s kneel ends, I have essentially free rein over them. Almost all of it caused by the fact that they move so slowly, from being Depressed. (And that was true even before I jacked up the Telepathy ranks. Now it's just so much more obvious.)

That was intense.

~ Methais
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/07/2022 05:07 AM CDT
<tickle Methais>

And all of it contemporary; aren't you proud of me?!? :)

There's ways to mitigate lack of mana. When I came back from sabbatical and started playing more again, the two Enhancives that I went and hunted out were for INFluence (medley lasts longer, pay renewal cost less frequently) and Mana Recovery (obvious). Getting control over "mana pulse" is just the icing on the cake.
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/07/2022 12:37 PM CDT
Now that we thoroughly derailed the thread with tactics and advice ...

I am still waiting for, either here or at the wiki, a description of what changes are made to my songs in the Hinterwilds.

Thank you,
~L.
--

Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/08/2022 11:26 PM CDT

Great job. Everything about the Hinterwilds is fantastic.

Level: 100 Fame: -1,757,664,883
Experience: 44,050,028 Field Exp: 1,066/1,100
Ascension Exp: 32,666,444 Recent Deaths: 1
Total Exp: 76,716,472 Death's Sting: None
Long-Term Exp: 15 Deeds: 40
Exp to next TP: 2,472 Exp to next ATP: 33,556
PTPs/MTPs: 0/0 ATPs: 4

I have my work cut out for me to raise up this TD though. Some of these mobs are a good challenge even with lots of ascension. It's just what I needed.

Thank you
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/09/2022 08:21 AM CDT
So I've been trying to interpret the saved posts on GSWiki--since I was not involved in the opening events--and it seems to indicate that there's a travel mechanism from the Abbey in/near Icemule, located on the N/E/W gates' map for the town.
But the only thing marked 'abbey' there that I can see appears to be a hunting ground. (I have spent precisely zero time in Icemule since its opening, barring that one weekend that the Juggernaut event was going on with repeated crashes. I have passed through it several times OMW to Pinefar, Aenatumgana, or resurrecting from Reim.)

Is that the correct abbey at which to try and sniff out transport?
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/09/2022 10:25 AM CDT
Yes. Some of what used to be a hunting ground is now a transport site and the critters have moved out to adjacent areas.
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/09/2022 12:24 PM CDT
Great, thanks! I'll head over on Test Server and see what I can find out!
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/09/2022 01:04 PM CDT
Krakii, the Abbey has been updated and there's a new map (and areas of the wiki) for it...

https://gswiki.play.net/Category:Temple_of_Hope_creatures

Mnar is actually in conversation about his plans to update the Tsoran map to remove the Abbey (so there's less confusion).
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/10/2022 02:53 PM CDT
Thanks for the update!

I see some bonfires are marked on that map, and I know that mechanics now exist for people to carry around some firemaking stuff to keep warm.
- Is it design intent that people just stay parked in the room with their campfire, rather than walking around at all? (Because it goes out more quickly, if you walk away from it. I think.)

I see the ger where you get dropped off, and the river, and eight arrows/presumed landing points. And commentary about NOT being able to just walk across, had the river been frozen.
- Does Water Walking not permit one to walk across, or do you have to swim (skill check?) no matter what?
- Can you land in any of those 8 spots, or are some more or less likely? (And based on your level? Swimming skill/ranks? Other)?

At what point does the Spell Sever happen? Getting into the caravan? Out of? Crossing the river?
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/10/2022 08:05 PM CDT
BONFIRES: These are meant to be places that shield you from the cold and let you drop your stacks. No campfires needed there.

RIVER: So I explored the river entirely way early on when Hinterwilds was on test. I don't know if this has changed.

I had 101 ranks of swimming so I don't know the effect of Water Walking on it. I think Water Walking just makes the cold less severe compared to swimming, but it's not a simple jaunt across calm water or anything (hence you're not impervious).

As to the exit locations...

There are 5 rows and 8 columns of river.

Pretend the south side is row 6, column 3.

Going south from row 5 in all 8 columns leads you to that spot.

Going north from row 1 leads you to the respective locations on the north map.

There's no randomness. The only oddball spot is that if you go south from row 5 you end up at column 3 no matter which column you're in. Otherwise, the river respects movement.

SPELL SEVER: I'm not entirely sure actually.
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/14/2022 10:16 PM CDT
Thanks for the info about the river! So you go in from the south, then you navigate around on the river for a while (move E/W to shift to a different landing area, move N to approach the shore) for what seems like about 3-5 rooms' worth. There is RT at each move; no idea whether Water Walking, Survival, Swimming, <any> stats, or "none of the above" affect the RT.
No casting while you're treading on the ice so lay down Tonis before starting; I did not, so I have no idea whether it is effective <like most RT> or not <like touching the Reim sphere>.

Okay, so I fiddled a bit on the Test server to see what's what.

Luxelle, what appears to happen is you go in with your whole long laundry list of spells just fine. Periodically, one or two of them will get stripped off of you, but the rest remain (until the next time it fires, and you lose another one or two). I think this was Mindward/1208.
Suddenly, the connection between you and the foreign magic upon you becomes severed!
You feel your forehead pulse as your mind relaxes.

I think most of the things there have some degree of padding, but I was still seeing 50-100 base damage + crit amounts (20-90) just fine, both with single-target and mass-effect Disruption. Not all results are going to be good (crappy die rolls happen), and the "castRT + lose mana" is an unpleasant change for Bards to have to get used to after 100 levels of enjoying otherwise.

Do think it's pretty raw that Empath-list TD (you know, "pure spellcaster who can triple-train") seem to be right in line with Bard-list TD. At least for the handful of critters I checked.
(And if "live critters" are different from/more updated than "Test-server critters", then I may amend that standpoint.)

Where do gigas artifacts go? How do you check how many you've been credited with? (I found either two or three, and I "gingerly collected the relic and stowed it away." You know. Somewhere.
Is this like the glowing soulstone to get into the Elemental Confluence?

What good are petrified mammoth tusks/petrified tiger teeth? Nobody in the Cold River Village would take them?

Each kill seems to be worth about 1-6 LTE, on top of whatever else may be going on. Normally I don't think much of a "spinel", but getting 4-5K out of them is a big change from around the Landing.
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/14/2022 11:42 PM CDT
>Luxelle, what appears to happen is

Thank you. Someone said you could only have 2 extra spells from the ones you know, so I would probably strip off the extras so I could keep the 2 I really needed. I am not sure which "only 2" that would be.

You know, in case I ever go.

It is going to take more convincing to get me there, though. I suppose I could sing up doubles or reinforced armor and forgo my padding and TD. :whimper: Oh, and better armor.

Mostly, I feel from what I have read of the Hinterwilds, it must be meant for bards with far more experience than Luxie has.

Do we get any mental protections from all that mental lore we learn vs. the mental-casting critters, I wonder?

Is the new Atoll area the same way?

--

Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/15/2022 04:57 AM CDT
I agree with you, Sonic Armor also has some cold protection baked in, but... the whole point behind sinking a ton of bucks into the cool armor is to HAVE and USE the cool armor. <mutter, grumble>

With the various settlements scattered around the area, it looks like there are safe(r)[-ish] areas to retreat to. I used "healme" a total of once in two brief forays, and that was mostly because I was spending more attention to finding attack/defense numbers than to actually trying to survive. I think you could probably do at least moderately well there, or keep it in mind as a "oh, something to do as a change of pace."

Tactically, I disagree with you on the spells: go in with everything emanating from you like you regularly do. You only gradually lose the various effects.

And I didn't see anything about not being able to get things cast upon you again. (I also did not try: I was researching numbers.)

But having some scrolls or imbeds with bunches of easily accessible spells can let you slap back on something that gets stripped away, just so that the handful that you actually CARE about still have a bunch of camouflage (so there is a field of 20 to select "one to lose" from, rather than only a field of 5, for example).
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/15/2022 05:37 AM CDT
I suppose the really big question is, "How are spells from Fash'lo'nae's Gift/1750 handled?"
At the time you get them, you are using prep/cast, so are they technically considered "self-cast"?
Or they could possibly be considered "self-cast"... while you are under that particular Gift duration (so, "you get 10 minutes" and then they can be Severed from you randomly, just like anything else).

At the levels we're talking about, it is easily possible to get two or three--or even unlimited--casts, which can add up to 2-4 hours depending on spell.
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/15/2022 07:42 AM CDT
>> >Luxelle, what appears to happen is

>>Thank you. Someone said you could only have 2 extra spells from the ones you know, so I would probably strip off the extras so I could keep the 2 I really needed. I am not sure which "only 2" that would be.

>> You know, in case I ever go.

FWIW: Arcane spells do not count in the divergence spell limit (e.g. spells from small statues, heavy quartz orbs, and the like)

>> Is the new Atoll area the same way?

It appears to operate the same way as far as divergence spells are concerned. The lower level hunting areas is much easier than the hinterwild (opinion mine) and reminds me of the temple hunting area on Teras (without the possibility of drowning). I haven't visited the higher level section of the atoll yet (maybe in the coming week).

>> I suppose the really big question is, "How are spells from Fash'lo'nae's Gift/1750 handled?"

I can test this later in the week. My assumption is that these spells count toward your outside spell limit. I am somewhat curious to see if 1750 itself (while active) also countz toward the limit. It shouldn't in my opinion but who knows?

-- Robert

From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the shield is as a shield.
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/15/2022 09:25 AM CDT
It shouldn't, since you just said a moment earlier that Arcane spells do not... :)
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/15/2022 12:24 PM CDT
>> It shouldn't, since you just said a moment earlier that Arcane spells do not... :)

Haha. Great point - for some reason I wasn't thinking of 1750 as an Arcane spell...

>> Where do gigas artifacts go? How do you check how many you've been credited with? (I found either two or three, and I "gingerly collected the relic and stowed it away." You know. Somewhere.

I>wealth
You have no silver coins with you.

You are carrying 20 gigas artifact fragments.

>> Is this like the glowing soulstone to get into the Elemental Confluence?

You can spend these on items in the local 'town'. Not sure if they have any other uses or not.

-- Robert

From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the shield is as a shield.
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/15/2022 05:35 PM CDT

What about self-knowledge spells, such as from vibrant scrolls?
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/19/2022 12:11 PM CDT
(All observations done on the Test server, so creature behavior may very well be updated i the live environment.)

To the west, in the Cold River Village, it seems "safe-ish"; creatures do not cross the gap into the village itself.

Northeast, in Eldurhaart, by comparison "yes", creatures wander around through the streets. Plenty of them. With weather effects. And maneuvers. And a pretty AS to contest with your "now with fewer spells".

I was taking full advantage of "healme", but what it seemed like was that the shield-maidens & wargs were the most dangerous, along with the windstorm (which seems to be tied to the wendigo).

Padding and/or resistance(s) will be really good to have.
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/19/2022 03:33 PM CDT
Cold River is indeed safe, player village/mini town.

Elurhaart is one of the gigas villages, a hunting area/not safe.
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/20/2022 01:10 PM CDT
1a) Is there any clue in the room that (any of) Light, Dark, or Fog have been laid down?
1b) If NOT... could that/those be added? Preferably with some kind of remaining duration?
1c) Ditto for either/both of Tremors/909 or Quake/1714. Grasp of the Grave/709 already has pretty obvious messaging.
1d) Could there be some kind of intimation on the TIME remaining, for any/all of that info?
1e) (I would even accept them as additional entries in "Spell Active <whichever is appropriate, Buff or DeBuff>" display.)

2a) Are (any of) Light, Dark, Fog, Tremors, or Quake considered when checking for "what gets nuked by Spell Sever"?
2b) To include specifically the channeled version of Tremors, which puts a persistent effect on the caster to manually trigger when desired.

3a) I went in (last weekend) with "full glow" on, 3+ hours of just about everything including outside spells from accumulated durations. They then got largely stripped off. After using some of my X/day items on the Test server mid-week, it seemed to me like the Spell Sever happened a LOT faster (those just-added spells vanished pretty quickly, one every few [maybe 10-15?] seconds).

3b) Is there some cumulative effect, like Spell Sever wears off x# seconds from your duration, and then the next time it checks it wears off more, and so on, and then finally there is little enough remaining that you just lose the spell? (That would explain "slow to vanish" [3h+ remaining on entry] at the start followed by "gone a lot faster" [only added 90m on re-cast] later on.)
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/20/2022 03:12 PM CDT
I don't think room effects are subject to spell sever (could be wrong though!)
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/20/2022 03:17 PM CDT
I remain with my position that it would be handy to KNOW about them... :)
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/20/2022 03:35 PM CDT
I do not knowingly think room effects are subject to spell sever...

(they're not, >2 un self casted spells ON you, limit not including arcane and some of the short term group ones now/soon)
Re: Enter the Hinterwilds 05/22/2022 04:26 AM CDT
Oh, and:
- no, Tonis has no effect on the hard RT going down to the river (5s), just like touching the sphere at the Reim throne room;
but
- yes, Tonis has effect on the long RT (15-20s) walking room to room while you are ON the river.

So, "Yes", put it on before stepping down to the river, because it's worth the saved time on exposure.