Swimming Roundtime Update 03/31/2021 03:13 PM CDT
Swimming RT has been updated in the following locations with multiroom swims to give a bonus for dedicated training in the swimming skill.

The pool in Drake's Shrine heading to The Rift has had its base RT for the swim reduced from 5 seconds to 3 seconds. Both that swim and the swim into the Ruined Temple on Teras now allow for a further reduction of RT by 1 sec each at of 100, 150, and 200 ranks.

Maelstrom Bay near River's Rest has had its minimum RT of 2 second further reduced by 1 sec each at 50 and 100 ranks.

In addition, the swim in the Underground Lake near the Misty Chamber has had its swim RT reduced for even a modest amount of swimming ranks.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: Swimming Roundtime Update 03/31/2021 07:26 PM CDT
> Maelstrom Bay near River's Rest has had its minimum RT of 2 second further reduced by 1 sec each at 50 and 100 ranks.

I like that these kinds of barriers are being looked at and improved! But like... only the interior of Marsh Keep has any creatures 50 or up (50 golems and 52/54 trolls). The great majority of the hunting across the Bay is between 30 and 50. Seems like by the time anyone gets 50 ranks they're, like, well beyond this.

So it's certainly better than nothing, but it doesn't seem very impactful.

(If this is a prelude to more upper-level Rest hunting, please by all means ignore me.)
Re: Swimming Roundtime Update 04/01/2021 04:20 AM CDT
<The great majority of the hunting across the Bay is between 30 and 50. Seems like by the time anyone gets 50 ranks they're, like, well beyond this.>

It'll make me a lot more likely to run rescues when I'm picking boxes though. The gnome has 50 ranks and spends most of his time in the tent picking boxes, but just takes too long to get across the Bay so most have decayed before I could make the swim and hunt them down (cause no Locate means I have to run around hunting areas to find them). There's also several others that have leveled out of hunting in RR by a large margin that regularly visit.

I get your point though. At the levels people are actually hunting over there, most builds prolly aren't going to have the spare TPs to dump into that much Swimming or they're going to put them into something a lot more attractive if they do have the TPs. Besides, by the time anyone with any sense has gotten beyond witches, they've already set a gold ring or three to the other side or they have access to Waterwalking.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Swimming Roundtime Update 04/01/2021 09:46 AM CDT
I'll take the Maelstrom Bay swim with my 101 ranks, although I still think my 740 being set to Niima's on gold-ring style is faster.

Incidentally, I was hoping this thread would have an amazing April Fools joke about swimming RT, but my dreams were shattered.
Re: Swimming Roundtime Update 04/02/2021 05:36 AM CDT
>You carefully move northwest, skimming lightly over the choppy surface of the water. |
>Roundtime: 3 sec.

>stop 112

>You swim southwest.
(no RT, 30% encumbrance)

Wait, so having Water Walking up is now a disadvantage in some circumstances in Maelstrom Bay?

Admittedly, I withdrew silvers until I was at 110% encumbrance and of course swimming one room took me 16 seconds. 40% encumbrance was 2 seconds, while 30% 0 seconds.

Could we get Water Walking and Swimming Ranks coupled somehow? It seems silly for a buff spell to potentially be an overall negative.
Re: Swimming Roundtime Update 04/02/2021 06:06 AM CDT
<Could we get Water Walking and Swimming Ranks coupled somehow? It seems silly for a buff spell to potentially be an overall negative.>

Um.... what person that's actually hunting on the other side of the bay is going to have 100 ranks in swimming? Heck, I doubt most will even bother with 50 ranks in that level range...

The advantages of 112 is: 1. almost half the professions don't have to spend TPs on swimming cause they're learning it anyway and 2. if you're wise about the route you take, only 3 rooms inflict RT going from town and only 2 returning to town (vrs every room if you're swimming with fewer then 100 ranks in Swimming)

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Swimming Roundtime Update 04/02/2021 10:11 AM CDT
>> Could we get Water Walking and Swimming Ranks coupled somehow? It seems silly for a buff spell to potentially be an overall negative.

Welllll Water Walking has always been less than a strict buff, since it actively prevents underwater excursions. Does knowing how to swim help you run across waves? Hmm.
Re: Swimming Roundtime Update 04/02/2021 05:05 PM CDT
>>Um.... what person that's actually hunting on the other side of the bay is going to have 100 ranks in swimming? Heck, I doubt most will even bother with 50 ranks in that level range...

Sure, you can scoff at the entire idea of the update. But Kaldonis has ALL THE SWIMMING so I'm just saying...for someone who can get the 0 RT swim, kinda silly if I have to STOP 112 first? I agree the whole thing is a bit of a fun-zies anyway. Not sure why to even swim when I can type "incant 740" and presto across the Bay in the blink of an eye.

>Welllll Water Walking has always been less than a strict buff, since it actively prevents underwater excursions.

Welcome back, sir. This was fixed some time ago! Part of the reason it was fixed was precisely this issue. Some people didn't want Water Walking, could not STOP it, and could not prevent others from casting it at them. I have demonstrated another theoretical instance of the same issue. Whether anyone cares is another matter.

I appreciate Oscuro's work in this matter (and, seemingly, only River's Resters do), so I don't mean to play the role of "If you give a mouse a cookie, he'll ask for a glass of milk" but such is life :)
Re: Swimming Roundtime Update 04/02/2021 05:12 PM CDT
> I have demonstrated another theoretical instance of the same issue.

And sorry, STOP does now work for everyone for friendly spells. So the issue is much different now. Mostly I was having fun testing these updates and reporting my results.
Re: Swimming Roundtime Update 04/02/2021 08:11 PM CDT
<If you give a mouse a cookie, he'll ask for a glass of milk">

Mice don't drink milk, that's cats.... and that's some good leche (to quote Puss'n'boots)

Starchitin, the OG (who had way too much wine at the 5 star restaurant he was taken to for his birthday)