WL Hunting 60-70ish 01/31/2021 02:03 PM CST
This hunting range in WL is horrific.

You have the Stronghold, which has too many lethal open roll SMR attacks, full stop - you will randomly die on the regular there. I dare any GM to go hunt it for a few weeks and say otherwise.

You have the first area of Red Forest, which is extremely easy but you get dispelled incessantly by flying critters that are invulnerable to some training paths until they descend and attack you, i.e. you will get dispelled a ton. It's like an 'annoying' tax - not a good way to design an area.

You have the second area of Red Forest, which will RT lock you unto death. It's laughable. Again I dar any GM to go hunt it for a few weeks and say otherwise.

These areas should be re-examined. This game is too small to have such a large, terrible hunting situation in the primary zone of the game. I invite the GMs to consider a.) toning down the insta-death in Stronghold, toning down the dispels in red forest, and completely re-designing the disaster that is the 2nd area of Red Forest.

I'm sure this will provoke devil's advocate discussions from players and that it will be ignored by GMs, but hey I thought I'd try.
Re: WL Hunting 60-70ish 01/31/2021 02:10 PM CST
P.S. I left out MTKs and Sheruvian Harbingers for reasons that should be self-evident...
Re: WL Hunting 60-70ish 01/31/2021 02:18 PM CST
<<You have the Stronghold, which has too many lethal open roll SMR attacks, full stop - you will randomly die on the regular there. I dare any GM to go hunt it for a few weeks and say otherwise.

I hunted there on there regular with an open archer rogue and I didn't die on the regular from SMR attacks. Maybe once a week or so.

<<You have the second area of Red Forest, which will RT lock you unto death. It's laughable. Again I dar any GM to go hunt it for a few weeks and say otherwise.

Hunted there too on the regular with the same rogue as above. Didn't die very much.

~Aulis
Platinum Co-Guru
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: WL Hunting 60-70ish 01/31/2021 03:23 PM CST
This is rather surprising. I am instantly killed more often than that by stone fist or EF open rolls. Between 1005, feint, stun, and (often) 3 second swings with Tonis up, I don't think it would be possible to minimize their casting windows more than I do short of 703 or a character with enough stam regen to maintain permanent hard-RT. As for Red Forest's second area, I just don't know how how you'd avoid routine deaths from hard-RT lock. Last time I tried to hunt there my RT had gotten up to 35 seconds when I died. I'm curious what your rogue's training was? Were you just instant one-shotting everything with eyeball shots? Was your CM defense so high that nothing could touch you in Red Forest? How did you not die to open rolls?
Re: WL Hunting 60-70ish 01/31/2021 03:34 PM CST
"I am instantly killed more often than that by stone fist or EF open rolls. Between 1005, feint, stun, and (often) 3 second swings with Tonis up, I don't think it would be possible to minimize their casting windows more than I do short of 703 or a character with enough stam regen to maintain permanent hard-RT." -- Zennsunni

I was in that area when Boil Earth became Earthen Fury. For the record, I still feel that 2s cycles on the spell are too fast.

1) Lead with VibeChant. I literally cannot count the number of times the hidden Tonis-benefiting Ambushing characters did NOT even get in a swing--never mind a death shot--because the target died from their weapon blowing up. That was me "scaling back" so as not to lay waste to everything with Disruption, so as not to tick off the folks I was hunting with.

2) Disruption is now NOT dangerous to passersby (so long as you do not use 'evoke'), so... yeah.
Re: WL Hunting 60-70ish 01/31/2021 03:53 PM CST
Yeah, I'm not a casting bard, I'm TWC with good equipment and lots of enhancives. Killing things quickly and easily in Stronghold isn't my problem (I can slaughter everything in the area with ease), instantly dying to open rolls every 3-4 hunts is.
Re: WL Hunting 60-70ish 01/31/2021 05:52 PM CST
> instantly dying to open rolls every 3-4 hunts is.

This is where I live now after the SMV2alphabet soup stuff got changed in/out/whatever.

I moved back to the East to be able to hunt again. Which pretty much broke Luxie's heart. And ... she's capped. With excellent armor.

I cannot figure out how to defend against these new death traps of maneuvers that plague the Sanctum at all.

--
ESP TUNE TOWNCRIER or ;tune towncrier
Web: http://gstowncrier.com/
Daily Email: gstowncrier.com/subscribe/

gstowncrier.com/where-to-find-the-towncrier/

Send in news: https://bit.ly/2ISsz2l

P.S. Help Wanted, Inquire Within
Re: WL Hunting 60-70ish 01/31/2021 10:55 PM CST
No reason to stick around the Landing.... the loot there stinks compared to just about every other town anyway. Icemule and Teras both have hunting in this range, so does RR at the low end of it.

If you're dead set on sticking to the Landing, I've had 3 characters (sorcerer, rogue, and empath) start in krag yeti and krag dwellers when they were 66... and all three had moved on to lesser minotaurs by 70

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: WL Hunting 60-70ish 02/01/2021 05:35 AM CST
The high-60s-"ish" is when I started looking at yeti & dwellers & lesser minotaurs, too. I think I mostly stayed in the Stronghold from force of habit, but it was a good killing.

I logged into the Test server several weeks ago and gave myself a couple million post-cap experience to see the difference that a bunch of ranks would make. Maxing out Perception (just over singled), CMan (just under singled), and Shield Use (not even half-singled... I'm a caster) since I routinely have to face Shield Bash & Shield Charge in Reim, did make me substantially safer.
Re: WL Hunting 60-70ish 02/01/2021 03:02 PM CST
1) If you can't avoid cheap SMR deaths because the critter attacks as it spawns, get resistance to whatever crit type is giving you problems.
2) If you are dying too much because the critters get too many rolls while you are RT locked, be very, very careful about ever letting more than one critter in a room with you at a time. Post cap you can train enough SMR defence to make locking you a lot harder, but it takes a lot of running away whenever a new critter joins a melee pre cap.
3) Choice is a lot poorer post 65. There will be ranges where your race/class/build does not stack up well against anything. It won't be in the same range for everyone, but I've yet to cap a character without a major timeout along the way.
4) A regular partner makes dealing with this a lot easier.
Re: WL Hunting 60-70ish 02/01/2021 03:52 PM CST
<3) Choice is a lot poorer post 65. There will be ranges where your race/class/build does not stack up well against anything. It won't be in the same range for everyone, but I've yet to cap a character without a major timeout along the way.>

Very much this. When I saw the OP my initial thought was "you think the options suck now, wait til you're 85-95"... but couldn't think of a constructive way to express that at the time. The entire range of levels from 65ish-95ish needs more choices and has needed it since the conversion from GS3 to GS4.... but the 85-95 range by far needs it the most and had gotten the least amount of attention.

My level 94 rogue hasn't hunted since around level 89 cause it's such a royal PITA to get to any place he can hunt. With my sorcerer, I'm giving serious thought to having him pick up a couple levels via forging once he can no longer learn from Plane 3... cause Plane 5 quickly led to him raining down in Icemule both times I tried hunting with him there and I'll stop playing altogether before hunting in EN again.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: WL Hunting 60-70ish 02/01/2021 07:17 PM CST
Sounds to me like fixing the existing hunting grounds and adding more in appropriate level ranges would probably give the devs more bang for the buck in terms of the work they do.
Re: WL Hunting 60-70ish 02/03/2021 11:45 AM CST
<<Hunted there too on the regular with the same rogue as above. Didn't die very much.>>

While dying is usually a less than fun part of the game, the difficulty of the area isn't my complaint, it's the way the growls, and to a lesser extent, maneuvers, of the direbears and direwolves can make a PC unable to move for several minutes at a time. If you don't relate to the issue from your own experience, spend some time watching other hunters who engage the area solo.
What is normal is for a character to go in, well prepared, and to need to kill the denizens of the area very quickly, because of the many RT inducing moves they have, and frequently use. If a single direbear or direwolf gets off a single growl (warcry), a character can find themselves in 20 seconds of RT, more than enough time for the direbear to repeat that move, stacking onto the existing RT, and for other creatures to wander in, to do more of the same. When my character dies in there, it's usually with 30+ seconds of RT. I truly like a lot about this area. It looks like it should be fun, but the RT stacking is far too frequent a problem. I don't mind hitting a tough place where a character facees defeat more often, but character inability to act for prolonged periods isn't good game design.
My suggestion? Change the RT for the Bertrandt's Bellow effect of these growls to something more like other spell and maneuver RT. Characters can only be affected by one e-wave or feint at a time; What logic determines that warcries should stack?
Re: WL Hunting 60-70ish 02/03/2021 12:11 PM CST
I recall there was some conversation on these forums around RT stacking last year as well but no response / input from a NIR (I'll leave it to Krakii to provide the exact conversation link... :p ).

If you are put into 20 seconds of RT, then 10 seconds later are put into another 20 seconds of RT, you should be in (worst case) 20 seconds of RT (the greater of your current RT vs. the attack RT), not 30 seconds of RT (the 20 seconds stacking onto the existing 10). The current mechanic where RT stacks on into infinity is a broken mechanic in my opinion.

-- Robert

>> You tremble and can barely hold onto the mithril greataxe. You estimate it must be worth over a hundred million silvers!
Re: WL Hunting 60-70ish 02/03/2021 02:55 PM CST
"If you are put into 20 seconds of RT, then 10 seconds later are put into another 20 seconds of RT, you should be in (worst case) 20 seconds of RT (the greater of your current RT vs. the attack RT), not 30 seconds of RT (the 20 seconds stacking onto the existing 10). The current mechanic where RT stacks on into infinity is a broken mechanic in my opinion." -- Other-Robert

MY opening bid was, "like eWave", so if you are already suffering under it, you do not get hammered with more.

Additive-to-worst was the middling position that I thought was most acceptable to GMs (down from straight additive, as it is now) but yet still tolerable to players.
(Mind you, this still means that you can wait it out all the way down to "...wait 1 second" and then get hit by another 20--which has happened to me, in Reim, just recently--so you only net 39 out of 40. But at least it wasn't ALL of the 40.)

No, we never saw any GMs responding that a fix was inbound. And I think we never even saw anything that it was even contemplated, but it may have been because they're working on CMans right now anyhow.
Re: WL Hunting 60-70ish 02/03/2021 03:08 PM CST
MY opening bid was, "like eWave", so if you are already suffering under it, you do not get hammered with more.

This is how being stunned currently works as well. That way you are guaranteed an opportunity to breathe at some point, even if only briefly.

-- Robert

>> You tremble and can barely hold onto the mithril greataxe. You estimate it must be worth over a hundred million silvers!