Slain by a GIFTBOX 04/02/2022 11:35 AM CDT
What a way to go.
that would have been.

A few notes on Ardkor before the forums ascend to Koargard.

Ardkor is working on alchemy, and selling off his gem stash for AG rewards to use however much 3x Lumnis remains after alchemy related exp. (quite a lot in almost all weeks, most alchemy exp actually comes from foraging the ingredients for them rather than doing the reps) The Teras collection has been severely depleted, but significant quantities of elven gems remain and the Landing stash is still largely complete.

Currently he is fighting the Cauldron of Doom, which sucks the spirit out of trainee alchemists. It took 14 spirit to win one round in one of Ardkor's contests. A lesser being, such as Dark Elf Sorcerer would have been hard put to summon that level of resource and could have ended up bound into the cauldron for all eternity (or until released by a master of all 6 cleric guild skills. The Bookmakers at the End of the Universe currently have All Eternity happening first at a hundred to one on.)

According to a copy of the Pilgrims' Progression (special souvenir issue for the 100th anniversary of Ardkor's ascension, available at all good shrines for a mere 1000 Hardscrip) that was looted from the corpse of an Ithzir time traveller, Ardkor was/will be personally received into Koargard by Koar himself during the New Year celebrations of 5114. Judging by the rate of progress occasionally updated at https://gswiki.play.net/Prime_HARDCORE, this relic could be genuinely prophetic.

Prayers for Intercession Gems or Holy Symbols created and blessed by Ardkor himself may be heard if directed via Discord and accompanied by the promise of suitably large donations towards the beautification of Ardkor's Tomb which the Pardoner of The Pilgrim Band will be pleased to accept.
Re: Slain by a GIFTBOX 04/02/2022 02:53 PM CDT
I love reading the periodic updates, and I check in every so often on the Leaderboards.

Keep up the grind!
Re: Slain by a GIFTBOX 04/04/2022 06:25 PM CDT
I must ask: Should the PM messing around with you on April Fool's Day count as a legitimate death? If I don't know you are hardcore, and I just randomly bolt you one day, does that count? Is this different because it was an actual in-game item? Just some thoughts I'm wondering. I'm certainly not owed an answer or explanation on this, but I'm curious because I want to be courteous to what you are trying to accomplish. (or are you just making a joke, and not counting yourself as perm-dead?)
Re: Slain by a GIFTBOX 04/04/2022 07:53 PM CDT
>>I must ask: Should the PM messing around with you on April Fool's Day count as a legitimate death?

A couple of thoughts, since I help support the Imperiled Few activities as much as I can (including participating, when I can keep a character alive long enough!)

First, I took the note to be an exciting update rather than a note of demise. Indicators are the phrase ". . .that would have been." and current tense usage throughout the body.

Second, by rule "Deaths resulting from PvP, direct GameMaster action, or GAME WIDE outage are exempt. Also any death that is a required part of a task that may or may not exist for a specific society is exempt."

So as long as the player of the character knows a GameMaster took an action - whatever it might be, to include the desired opportunity to bolt the IF character, it does not count as a hardcore death.

Just my thoughts.

Doug
Re: Slain by a GIFTBOX 04/05/2022 11:11 AM CDT
>I must ask: Should the PM messing around with you on April Fool's Day count as a legitimate death?

It depends how directly. If had Ardkor experimented with an item out of a giftbox and that killed him, I would have counted it. But he didn't.

Getting killed by a vathor in an invasion counts.

Direct death to a random GM bolt does not count. I would count getting bolted as part of a commune but others wouldn't. Ardkor isn't communing. There's still an opening for someone else to do the first hardcore commune.
Re: Slain by a GIFTBOX 04/05/2022 11:43 PM CDT
"There's still an opening for someone else to do the first hardcore commune." -- Rathboner

You're pretty safe in getting no response :D
Re: Slain by a GIFTBOX 04/08/2022 01:32 PM CDT
This brings up an interesting point. To wit: it has been my experience that GS has, squirreled away in its hidden mechanics, what I will call "character death crits" IE: mechanics that are impossible to avoid getting killed by (caveat: since I am in no way a computer or math person I will admit this is just my gut instinct but enough things have happened to my character over the years playing here that it seems very slim that it doesn't exist in some form or another). So, how does this relate? If we're doing hard core should a death count that happens only because you took a hit that was impossible to avoid and automatically killed you?
Re: Slain by a GIFTBOX 04/08/2022 04:53 PM CDT
Depends what you mean by impossible. There's one society which has a death thats impossible to avoid during progression in that society. That death is allowed. If a player or GM decides to off you because they can, that doesn't count. There are critters which will get you sooner or later if you spend time in front of them.

Its impossible to survive 917 if you regularly let a critter cast it at you. Death from a tree spirit's 917 counts. There's at least one HARDCORE character died from trying to run through tree spirits. Ardkor has never run through tree spirits. He has hunted a tree spirit, just the one, and very carefully.
Re: Slain by a GIFTBOX 04/08/2022 05:14 PM CDT
Sandstorm, from the Reim Empress ... also a death just waiting for you. :(

--
ESP TUNE TOWNCRIER or ;tune towncrier
Web: http://gstowncrier.com/
Daily Email: gstowncrier.com/subscribe/

gstowncrier.com/where-to-find-the-towncrier/

Send in news: https://bit.ly/2ISsz2l

P.S. Help Wanted, Inquire Within
Re: Slain by a GIFTBOX 04/08/2022 05:48 PM CDT
I have one color highlight JUST for the Reim Empress, so as soon as she preps a spell I start hitting my prep/cast Dispel macro.
Re: Slain by a GIFTBOX 04/09/2022 08:46 AM CDT
I am also talking about things that have happened that seem to stretch the limits of credulity such as fighting one critter and while in an attacking stance and waiting for the RT of just 5 seconds to stop so I could go back to full defensive a critter pops into the room I'm fighting in and immediately attacks scoring a crit and instantly killing my character. Those sort of things that happen seem, I dunno, to somehow be programmed into the game. I'm probably wrong about that but it's occurred more than once so I discount it as a fluke.
Re: Slain by a GIFTBOX 04/10/2022 03:12 AM CDT
That counts. (and is one reason why Ardkor is alive at a much higher level than the squares I've played HC got to) If you fight in guarded you don't get caught in offensive. Critters that move and attack in the same action are also ones that Ardkor has hunted very, very carefully and very, very occasionally. There are also critters that get a fast but not immediate attack on spawning. Very, very risky to take those on as a square. e.g. a grizzled ogre is practically guaranteed to get an attack while you are still in RT from killing the ogre that spawned it.
Re: Slain by a GIFTBOX 04/11/2022 10:20 AM CDT
Yeah I counted it. And I also learned, from that experience, to not fight in full offensive mode when possible. I'm sure experiences differ depending on many factors in the game. For instance I play a warrior who always uses a claid, is KS, and never uses spells, enhancives, or is part of any society. My character do join the warrior guild. It's not hardcore in the classic sense of the meaning as pertains here because I use the best weapons and armor I can find / afford.