Khrayla - 7 trains in 6 days 11/11/2017 01:55 PM CST
Khrayla just dinged 7 so thought I'd post where she's at presently.

I wasn't intending to get to level 7 quite this quickly (my Gift of Lumnis wore out somewhere within level 5 I think) but it's been a lot of fun and I've felt the 'need' to cull lower level things to help build my wealth a bit.

Stats: One thing I didn't note earlier is that I am a bit of an optimist. I set all of my stats for growth to level 100 and have left them alone since then. I believe you are allowed to change them up to 5x prior to hitting 20 so technically I could optimize them for my first 19 level (which has been tempting) but I've chosen not to do this. As a result, encumbrance has been a bit of a challenge - it took a few trains before I could get to a 5 second swing with my axe and I'm up to the point where I can start out at 5 seconds but after picking up a few items I'm back to 6x RT swings. Level 7 provided a +1 to STR and CON so I am hoping that will provide some noticeable help here.

Wealth: Just under 81k silver in the bank! It's nice to see this number start to grow a bit given the cost of 4x gear (still a bit down the road but I'll need the silver when I get there)! I had 50k at one point earlier but most of that went towards my current gear...

Gear:
Weapon: Presently equipped with heavy maroral-handled imflass moon axe. It was a tough decision between the +12 axe and the +10 axe. Not so much for the bonus (I was good either way) but the +12 axe was ALSO 2 lbs lighter. In the end the lower weight prevalied (at twice the cost in silver!)
Armor: 2x double leather and 2x great shield (it was a proud moment when I was able to purchase each of these items!)

Training:
- I pushed armor to 20 at training 6 so I could train my first rank in ARMOR SUPPORT to help with the encumbrance issue. I feel like the land's weakest half-krol with a current strength of 40 (bonus of +5 for that). Most of my normal characters are used to running around self spelled plus wizard spells which seems to make a noticable difference on the encumbrance front!

- 2x Shield Use
- 2x CMANs
- 2x Edged (I may switch over to blunt given my recent entry into Voln)
- Almost 1x in MOC
- 2x Physical Fitness (this will continue at least until I have max possible health)
- 1x in MIU, Survivial, Perception, First Aid

With the above training I'm still finding that my defense feels light against like level foes (dangerously light) and am seriously considering dropping the MIU training in favor of pushing shield training towards 3x. On the flip side though - I've bagged two small statues so far so being able to extend their time may offset this for awhile. Maybe I'll look at something like 10 ranks in MIU / 10 in AS and then push the shield training if I'm still alive at that point!

I've used my early CMAN points to help boost defense (1 rank each in Parry Master and Block Mastery) as well as to help boost my offense / offset my abysmal strength bonus (2 ranks in weapon specialization and 1 rank in surge of strength).

There isn't a lot you can do with shield points early in defensively so I have my first rank in Tower Shield Focus (TFOCUS) and am saving my remaining points for something interesting to open up - I can train rank 2 in TFOCUS at level 9.

Society:
The elven Grandmaster says, "Welcome to the Order. You are about to take the first step on the path to enlightenment.

In preparation for level 7 I sought out an invitation to Voln this morning from a wandering monk!
Since I need a blessed weapon to advance at all, my plan is to test out the rough grey crystals in the local cleric shop (at only 11,500 silver each!) It will be interesting to see how well this plan works / how costly it is to advance to rank 2!

Another day or so and my gift will kick back in!

-- Robert

Damp deeply exclaims, "It's a wizard's locked project!"
Re: Khrayla - 7 trains in 6 days 11/11/2017 01:59 PM CST
It looks like Voln is favoring my endeavor this day!

>wave my cry at my handaxe
You wave your grey crystal at a modwir-hafted wide iron handaxe.
1d100: 88 + Modifiers: 38 == 126

A searing white light enfolds the wide iron handaxe for a moment and then appears to become incorporated into it.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

-- Robert

Re: Khrayla - 7 trains in 6 days 11/11/2017 02:07 PM CST
Looking good, Robert. Keep it up.

!>tell child to be quiet
The child cries, "I don't wanna!"
Re: Khrayla - 7 trains in 6 days 11/11/2017 02:09 PM CST
I enjoyed reading that, Robert. Thanks!

Doug
Re: Khrayla - 7 trains in 6 days 11/12/2017 06:10 PM CST
The monk approaches you and says, "Welcome back, Khrayla. I see that Voln has continued to favor you with his blessing. You are doing well in your dedication to the Order. Now there is more that I must explain to you."

I was able to get to Voln Rank 2 using 2 rough grey crystals from the Ta'Vaalor Cleric Shop. I did have a lot of high activation rolls so anyone else attempting should expect it might take a 3rd depending on their luck.

-- Robert

Re: Khrayla - 7 trains in 6 days 11/12/2017 06:50 PM CST
And while we're at it... Ding 8.

-- Robert

Re: Khrayla - 7 trains in 6 days 11/13/2017 04:55 AM CST
>I was able to get to Voln Rank 2 using 2 rough grey crystals from the Ta'Vaalor Cleric Shop. I did have a lot of high activation rolls so anyone else attempting should expect it might take a 3rd depending on their luck.

Having maximum MIU might help with the number of swings (blessing lore too) and there's also Consecration if you spot it on a pawned scroll. Also picking the right critter for maximum favor per swing.

Some silverback orcs carry blessed weapons, (which sometimes turn up in the Icemule pawn if the orcs are too tough for you to take it off them). Thats the only other way I know of to get blessed weaponry.
Re: Khrayla - 7 trains in 6 days 11/13/2017 07:17 AM CST
<< I was able to get to Voln Rank 2 using 2 rough grey crystals from the Ta'Vaalor Cleric Shop. I did have a lot of high activation rolls so anyone else attempting should expect it might take a 3rd depending on their luck. >>

Is there a way to get blesses like that in the landing?

Josh
Re: Khrayla - 7 trains in 6 days 11/13/2017 08:12 AM CST
>> >> >I was able to get to Voln Rank 2 using 2 rough grey crystals from the Ta'Vaalor Cleric Shop. I did have a lot of high activation rolls so anyone else attempting should expect it might take a 3rd depending on their luck.

>>Having maximum MIU might help with the number of swings (blessing lore too) and there's also Consecration if you spot it on a pawned scroll. Also picking the right critter for maximum favor per swing.

For my effort I did a hodge podge of undead from level 2-5 (with me being training 7 through the full step). I had max MIU (9 ranks).

>> Some silverback orcs carry blessed weapons...

Are those the silver ones? I never realized... I love that there's always new things to be discovered in this game. :-)

-- Robert

Re: Khrayla - 7 trains in 6 days 11/13/2017 09:16 AM CST
>Are those the silver ones? I never realized... I love that there's always new things to be discovered in this game. :-)

Yes, they live next door to the spectres so presumably they have reason to get blesses. Silverbacks also have one of my favorite orc sayings in their emote repertoire.
Re: Khrayla - 7 trains in 6 days 11/14/2017 05:24 PM CST

>>Is there a way to get blesses like that in the landing?

The flower girl MIGHT be able to answer that for you, but you need to buy some of her flowers first.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Khrayla - 7 trains in 6 days 11/14/2017 05:36 PM CST
There was a message a week ago or so with details about using the Flower Girl's petals for a blessing.

I don't know if it's made it to the wiki or not, The TownCrier carried it in a tip.

https://sites.google.com/site/loresinging/arkati-library/petal-blessing

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
;tune towncrier

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
TownCrier News Dailies via Email: http://bit.ly/2ivAJfw
Re: Khrayla - 7 trains in 6 days 11/14/2017 07:54 PM CST
Thanks!

Next question. How many ranks of climb to reliably and safely climb the GY gate? I'd never lived it down if I had to post that as the reason for my character's death.

Josh
Re: Khrayla - 7 trains in 6 days 11/14/2017 08:22 PM CST
That would be somewhat... epic.

Alas, I do not know the answer...

-- Robert

Re: Khrayla - 7 trains in 6 days 11/15/2017 12:00 AM CST
I'm betting on 7 (for what I hope are obvious reasons).

With appropriate DEX and AGI of course. If those stats were tanked, more would be required.

Doug
Re: Khrayla - 7 trains in 6 days 11/15/2017 04:43 AM CST
>Next question. How many ranks of climb to reliably and safely climb the GY gate? I'd never lived it down if I had to post that as the reason for my character's death.

I decided a fumble roll (also bungling ring setting and being stuck inside) wasn't worth risking and to stay in TV till I had another way to get in (and out).

Pushing works solo if you are strong enough. I've used that as the backup method for a giant warrior in the past.