Prev_page Previous 1
The road to Koargard 11/08/2017 05:04 AM CST
After a brief detour to Zul, to pick up essential items for his outfit, and Icemule, to notch up a couple of its unique undead, Ardkor has relocated to the Landing.

I was wondering what I could find to spend all my silvers on after 4x gear, but after spending a bit of mummy time I have realised that its just as well I have the silvers already, because I'm not going to be getting any more for a while.
Re: The road to Koargard 11/10/2017 06:00 AM CST
Monk wisdom hits the mark. (after I ran through arch wights for holiness)

The monk turns you around and looks in your eyes. "Many fearless warriors have made it this far. Few make it much further, unless they are careful and do not become overconfident."
Re: The road to Koargard 11/10/2017 08:12 AM CST

>> The monk turns you around and looks in your eyes. "Many fearless warriors have made it this far. Few make it much further, unless they are careful and do not become overconfident."

"A balance, then, between old and new, between permanence and change, between tradition and innovation because some changes will be for the better, while others will come, in the fullness of time, to be recognised as errors of judgment. Meanwhile, some old habits will be retained, and rightly so, whereas others, outmoded and outworn, must be abandoned. Let us move forward, then, into a new era of openness, effectiveness and accountability, intent on preserving what ought to be preserved, perfecting what needs to be perfected, and pruning wherever we find practices that ought to be prohibited." -- Dolores Umbridge

-- Robert

Damp deeply exclaims, "It's a wizard's locked project!"
Re: The road to Koargard 11/10/2017 08:15 AM CST
Oddly enough... my softcore Voln warrior hit this Voln step within a few minutes of having read your post and was given the same advice...

-- Robert

Damp deeply exclaims, "It's a wizard's locked project!"
Re: The road to Koargard 11/13/2017 07:26 AM CST

But you don't have any mana!
>stance defensive
You are now in a defensive stance.
>sym mana
A wraith swings a closed fist at you!
AS: +137 vs DS: +195 with AvD: +17 + d100 roll: +3 = -38
A clean miss.
>
You call upon a special blessing from Koar.
You feel a surge of mana flow through you.

You chant a reverent litany, clasping your hands while focusing upon the Smite spell...
Your spell is ready.
>
You are now in an offensive stance.
>
You aren't holding any weapons in your hands.
>
You channel at a wraith.
A scintillating, blue-white aura encompasses a wraith.
CS: +94 - TD: +45 + CvA: +25 + d100: +21 == +95
Warded off!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
R>

50 mana on tap every 5 minutes is pretty chunky compared to a field rate of 8 per pulse and 4 wraiths covers the favor for that and running protection
Re: The road to Koargard 11/13/2017 07:33 AM CST
Impressive! I need to work harder. One more step for Symbol of Mana which is one big reason I went Voln.

Chad, player of a few
Re: The road to Koargard 11/13/2017 07:40 AM CST
I hadn't realised just how huge it would be to a low level character. First time I've thought of it as something other than a reserve for 350.
Re: The road to Koargard 11/15/2017 06:40 PM CST
Another step on the road.

>act attempts to eat a grape but can't bite through it, it seems to have a hard core.
You hear the laughter of a youth well up from nowhere. You glance around looking for the source, which defies you and only seems to cause the youth to laugh even harder. After a while, the voice fades away leaving you wondering if the youth was laughing at you or with you.
Re: The road to Koargard 11/29/2017 01:12 PM CST
Bring out your (softcore) dead. No chrisms though, making those is a LONG way down the road.
Re: The road to Koargard 11/29/2017 03:00 PM CST
Well done, man. Here's hoping you beat that lunatic Halier to Title.

!>tell child to be quiet
The child cries, "I don't wanna!"
Re: The road to Koargard 11/29/2017 05:36 PM CST
>Well done, man. Here's hoping you beat that lunatic Halier to Title.

I doubt it. Unless he takes a significant timeout, or goes directly to Koargard, he was easily far enough ahead at 18 to title first. I did put the Zombie up there to try to lure him off-piste, but he seems to be sticking to the safe route.
Re: The road to Koargard 11/30/2017 07:00 AM CST
The monk looks at you with a beaming smile and exclaims, "Welcome, Master Ardkor. I see that Voln has favored you with his blessing. You have done well in your dedication to the Order.

>tou glob
You reach out and touch the globe.
The globe hums and spins around quickly.
You try to count the number of spins and figure it was around 50 revolutions.
Re: The road to Koargard 11/30/2017 07:56 AM CST
Nice! Congratulations, Rath!

Doug
Re: The road to Koargard 11/30/2017 11:08 AM CST

Congratulations, Ardkor. That was one hell of a feat.

Lunatic indeed - he beat me out by nearly 4 full Steps, Evarin. :p
Re: The road to Koargard 11/30/2017 11:12 AM CST
>I doubt it. Unless he takes a significant timeout, or goes directly to Koargard, he was easily far enough ahead at 18 to title first. I did put the Zombie up there to try to lure him off-piste, but he seems to be sticking to the safe route.

Yeah, that wasn't going to work. :) Safe and steady. Zombies are on the menu - just not yet.
Re: The road to Koargard 11/30/2017 12:03 PM CST
>Lunatic indeed - he beat me out by nearly 4 full Steps,

You were only one behind a few days ago, I saw you with one monk as I was dealing with the next one.
Re: The road to Koargard 11/30/2017 12:07 PM CST
>You were only one behind a few days ago, I saw you with one monk as I was dealing with the next one.

Yeah, saw you run by. Didn't realize I was that close. You hit the rooftop step a couple days ahead of me, I just presumed I was a ways back.
Re: The road to Koargard 11/30/2017 12:18 PM CST
>You hit the rooftop step a couple days ahead of me, I just presumed I was a ways back.

You were probably marginally ahead when I picked up the pace again last weekend.
Re: The road to Koargard 11/30/2017 02:44 PM CST
Congrats to you, Ardkor. Well done.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: The road to Koargard 12/02/2017 04:25 AM CST
A couple more unofficial targets reached:

First raise (2 now)
1M fame

Your personal fame is 1002920.
You are a level 19 Dwarf Cleric.

The only remaining sub-20 undead to be notched is the elder ghoul master, which I think only appears if the ordinary ones are being massacred in the GY. I have seen the elder and the ancient, but not in 10 years. Heavy armor makes the GY masters an unattractive target for warding, so I'm leaving trying to force those out for a few more levels. Somewhat annoyingly the vagaries of BCS have kept a zombie as my top kill, although I did take down a sacristan, so there's nothing below 26 that I have to go outside day pass range of the Landing for now.
Re: The road to Koargard 12/02/2017 09:00 AM CST
Very nice. Fame would indeed make a good goal. Hard to add it now as it'd be tough to parse out who got it first if Halier or someone else also managed the feat. Perhaps first to 2 million and so on.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: The road to Koargard 12/02/2017 09:25 AM CST
I'm pretty sure no one else has 1M fame yet, though Halier won't take long if he decides he wants Voln mastery fast. I don't think anyone else is anywhere near. (I've been using it as an indicator to see if anyone was liable to master Voln as fast as me)
Re: The road to Koargard 12/02/2017 09:28 AM CST
Alright, assuming no one else has earned it yet, i'll see about adding it to the list by the end of the weekend.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: The road to Koargard 12/02/2017 09:58 AM CST
No need to put it on the list, it pretty much goes with getting Voln first. And getting 1M silvers first ...

>bank acc
You currently have the following amounts on deposit:

First Elanith Secured Bank: 17853
United City-States Bank: 2794
Four Winds Bank: 979418
Total: 1000065

Probably 3M fame is about right for the first fame target to set at this point if you like fame as a target, other people ought to have a chance at going for it if they wanted to.
Re: The road to Koargard 12/02/2017 10:50 AM CST
Ardkor setting ALL the records. Way to go, man.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: The road to Koargard 12/03/2017 11:53 AM CST
>Ardkor setting ALL the records. Way to go, man.

And now: Fastest non-sorcerer to level 20! (not that there's a huge difference between a 702 build and a 302 build pre-20, first melee build deserves rather more recognition, thats a lot trickier)

There ought to be a broader range of targets so that there continue to be things for others to aim for rather than only the oldest survivors being in the running for everything. Maybe highest level reached each month for a character started in that month? Something a newcomer can aim for without having to give a big lead to the likes of Ardkor and Halier.
Re: The road to Koargard 12/03/2017 12:01 PM CST
I'd like to see some profession based targets in the mix.

-- Robert

Due to the volatile atmosphere, random bolts of lightning can intermittently be seen streaking through the skyline.
Re: The road to Koargard 12/03/2017 12:07 PM CST
For professions we have current highest level player, overall highest level player (living or deceased) and first to accomplish a major feat for each profession.

Here's the current list:

https://gswiki.play.net/Prime_HARDCORE#HARDCORE_Profession_Achievements

I'm always up for adding more achievements. Ideally, i've been trying not to add achievements that have already been accomplished.

The idea of seasons, or who goes furthest the fastest in X amount of time has been bandied about. I'm not opposed to it, but I also don't wish to take the emphasis away from our existing HARDCORE characters.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: The road to Koargard 12/03/2017 12:12 PM CST
Hah! I guess I need to scroll down further on the page next time... I didn't realize some of those were already in place!

-- Robert

Due to the volatile atmosphere, random bolts of lightning can intermittently be seen streaking through the skyline.
Re: The road to Koargard 12/03/2017 12:19 PM CST
A bit more on the profession specific achievements. As you can see, they're a bit all over a place. Ideally, they are goals that cannot be accomplished by simply fixskilling your build pre-20 to achieve some sort of benchmark. I'm quite happy with the Wizard, Sorcerer, Ranger, Paladin and Warrior achievements, which involve a multi-step process that isn't easily achievable via a simple prep/cast. For professions like Clerics, Bards, Monks, and Empaths, these goals are lacking as it is basically achieve level X, cast spell Y. Not ideal, and i'm certainly open to suggestions.

I discussed these goals on Lnet (In the HARDCORE channel) and in the #HARDCORE Discord channel, which are both awesome means of engaging with the community. I encourage any active members in the HC competition to use either or both of these resources to engage with their fellow competitors. The sense of comradery is IMO a core aspect of the competition.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: The road to Koargard 12/03/2017 12:24 PM CST
>> The sense of comradery is IMO a core aspect of the competition.

I've been enjoying the discussion on the LNet Hardcore channel. I'll check out the Discord channel sometime soon as well!

-- Robert

Re: The road to Koargard 12/05/2017 11:37 PM CST
>There ought to be a broader range of targets so that there continue to be things for others to aim for rather than only the oldest survivors being in the running for everything. Maybe highest level reached each month for a character started in that month? Something a newcomer can aim for without having to give a big lead to the likes of Ardkor and Halier.

I'm a big fan of this idea - though my HC playtime will now be curtailed quite a bit as I attempt to get my Paladin to 50, so the odds of me taking any achievements will drop drastically. I honestly wasn't even trying to hit 20 first, per se, though Ardkor's doggedness certainly gave me the drive to do it - I really just wanted to see if I could get a character to 20 in 30 days. (The answer is yes, if I spend way, way too much time playing him.)

I do really like the idea of some "Monthly" goals that people can hit. Perhaps we can kick this around on the channels.
Re: The road to Koargard 12/09/2017 08:28 AM CST
Level 22

Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Physical Fitness...................| 102 24
Arcane Symbols.....................| 50 10
Magic Item Use.....................| 50 10
Harness Power......................| 99 23
Spirit Mana Control................| 105 25
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 78 17
Perception.........................| 74 16
Climbing...........................| 40 8
Swimming...........................| 10 2
First Aid..........................| 40 8
Trading............................| 20 4

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 13

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 9

Spell Lists
Cleric.............................| 43

Standard (at least by my standards) warding cleric training with some minor tweaks for HARDCORE reasons, the main one being that I've pushed spells closer to 3x for reasons of keeping my 319 rolls close to 100% and other skills are a bit more squeezed than normal as a result.

Strength (STR): 73 (21) ... 73 (21)
Constitution (CON): 73 (26) ... 73 (26)
Dexterity (DEX): 52 (1) ... 52 (1)
Agility (AGI): 91 (15) ... 91 (15)
Discipline (DIS): 69 (19) ... 69 (19)
Aura (AUR): 86 (8) ... 86 (8)
Logic (LOG): 73 (16) ... 73 (16)
Intuition (INT): 79 (14) ... 79 (14)
Wisdom (WIS): 91 (20) ... 91 (20)
Influence (INF): 57 (-7) ... 57 (-7)

All stats except prime (high) and dex/inf (low) are set to just reach 100 at cap. I decided I didn't dare completely tank DEX even though I'm not going to use it for anything I know it contributes to, just in case a DEX of -10 is setting me up for something like a fatal fumble on a climb roll and INF was kept above the floor for both Voln symbol and TP reasons.

I'm not sure where the next high kill is going to come from, there's a lot of undead that start having the wrong sort of ability to regularly hunt on HARDCORE at this level, let alone uphunt. I see lots of zombies, but where to go for the next staple(s) is not yet clear to me (targets for the 30s are actually clearer to me than 25-30 but first I have to get there).
Re: The road to Koargard 12/09/2017 09:45 AM CST
As mentioned in the Discord, you're now on top for Current/Overall Levelled character. Well done, Ardkor.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: The road to Koargard 12/09/2017 10:50 AM CST
>> Harness Power......................| 99 23

How are you finding your mana pool to be? Adequate? Most of my pures go with 2x HP.

I imagine up-hunting makes up for it some though (when you can).

-- Robert

Re: The road to Koargard 12/09/2017 11:38 AM CST
>How are you finding your mana pool to be? Adequate? Most of my pures go with 2x HP.

Plenty. Open handed offensive channeling is about 3x as mana efficient as guarded casting across these levels and I'm set up to do that most of the time.

If I do run out its only a single pulse in a node while meditating to refill at low level (a meditate pulse is still greater than 50% max mana for me, though its getting close)

Or if I want to stay out indefinitely sym mana has been roughly equivalent to tripling my field pulse. The only reason I stopped hunting in mummies and wraiths was to rest my fingers, Voln power gave me the mana to smite them indefinitely with the favor I got from releasing them.

I've got three ways which each get me 200-300% extra compared to standard play, 20% from doubling harness is trivial extra mana for non-trivial training points. I may train a rank of it if that rank gives me an extra point on a pulse, but that's all.

If you are comfortable with running to a node and meditating, 2x HP is pointless on a cleric. If you are decent at channelling tactics the extra mana is redundant. If you have sym mana, its trivial.

If you tank your starting WIS, maybe you need it, because that will badly hurt the base amount of mana and your casting efficiency, but I don't tank WIS.
Re: The road to Koargard 12/09/2017 11:46 AM CST
Very insightful. Thanks!

-- Robert

Re: The road to Koargard 12/09/2017 01:00 PM CST

>If you tank your starting WIS, maybe you need it, because that will badly hurt the base amount of mana and your casting efficiency, but I don't tank WIS.

Also it cripples and may completely eliminate your meditation bonus.
Re: The road to Koargard 12/09/2017 04:55 PM CST

>How are you finding your mana pool to be? Adequate? Most of my pures go with 2x HP.

Different profession, as I'm running a channeling sorc, but I would make the same observation Ardkor makes. Though I can't meditate, 1x HP is plenty of mana for me. When I need it (I almost never do) Symbol of Mana is plenty.

Symbol of Mana is hands-down the best of the society mana skills, particularly at the low levels. In the HC format, I can't see either of the other societies being better. 5 spirit drain could have grave consequences, and...just don't do Sunfist. Don't.
Re: The road to Koargard 12/16/2017 12:50 PM CST
a couple of steps further and a bandit tried to shield bash me (I didn't notice I had a bandit rather than a critter task and was heading off to zombies anyway and that took me through where the bandits were - ooops - "bandit" has acquired the real nasty thing highlight so that doesn't happen again)

Shield bash is really nasty against dwarves that don't have shield training, with a pretty high chance of a death crit (I took death crits without even open rolls on my dwarf monk from bandit shield bash), so anything with shield bash is essentially a nono for hardcore.

This sort of situation is why I have really piled up the CS for 319, and it came through for Ardkor, and why I finished Voln as fast as possible (sym return, no Mr Taskmaster I don't want bandits).

The elder ghoul masters appear to have been scourged from the lands, and I picked off a couple of archwights while I was seeing if one would spawn, so that left the wood wight as the lowest level undead yet to be notched and I took a pass for Solhaven and picked off one of those after hitting level 24 (another 5 on the CS for 319) today.

Next up is the nonomino (the only level 23 undead as yet unreleased by Ardkor) but they live with moaners who have a nasty trick up their sleeves despite being otherwise feeble so I'm leaving Anwyn till level 28.

The next targets up are the AG titles, then the Lumnis competition. I reckon I've got enough boosts saved to give it a good go, but despite that I think my ceiling is around 20k so if the pattern of generally increasing scores continues I'll be 500-1000 off the leaderboard.

I found my first enhancive. Its just 1 point on a stat and cheap enough that I expect it to crumble fairly soon, but it is 1 point on WIS. Who knows, that might have been the extra point of CS that saved Ardkor from the bandit shield bash.
Prev_page Previous 1