Prev_page Previous 1 3
Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/05/2017 07:16 AM CDT
I’m looking to get an GS-Prime instance of the HARDCORE competition currently underway in Gemstone Platinum. Kithus/Brinret’s HARDCORE competition is ongoing, and I highly recommend you join in if you’re so inclined. The link to the competition can be found here: https://gswiki.play.net/Platinum_HARDCORE

The purpose of this thread is to see how many people are interested in participating, and ensuring the rules are seen as fair and fun for all those looking to be involved. I’m looking to start this competition on November 1st, 2017, so please DO NOT START YOUR HARDCORE CHARACTER BEFORE THIS DATE or he or she will NOT be eligible for the competition!

Depending upon the level of interest, I may cap the number of entries because I don’t want to go broke paying out rewards. I also reserve the right to refuse anyone entry into this competition for any reason, as well as the right to disqualify an existing competitor or cancel the competition at any point. I will do my absolute best NOT to do this, but if cheating becomes rampant or there are unforeseen conflicts which interfere in the enjoyment of the community at large I will have little choice.

Here are the rules I am proposing. You will find they are nearly identical to the Platinum instance of the competition:

All participants, upon creation, must be posted in the GemStone IV Prime HARDCORE thread. This includes name, race and profession. HARDCORE characters must be created on or after November 1st, 2017.

Upon death you should submit a post to the thread informing the community of the character’s death and immediately delete the character. Inventory may be transferred to a non-HARDCORE character prior to deletion.

HARDCORE characters must be self-spelled. This means no outside spells may be used. Spells the character can activate themselves from Magic Items or Scrolls are permitted.

HARDCORE characters are not to be hunted with non-HARDCORE characters. Further, while playing more than 1 HARDCORE character at a time is permitted, MAing HARDCORE characters for group hunting purposes or any other unforseen benefits is not permitted. (No HARDCORE MA armies, please!)

Items and silver may not be obtained from other characters. This means nothing may be received from another character or player shop. All silver and inventory must be earned by the HARDCORE character. NPC shop purchases are permitted. Items the HARDCORE character obtained from a merchant, including raffles and merchant services, are permitted.

Items from a grand auction, Premium monthly raffle, Duskruin, Delirium Manor or other “pay to play”, or “1 win per account” sources are not permitted. Items from Reim are permitted but only from your daily free Reim run.

No outside services from OTHER CHARACTERS are allowed. This includes:
** Armor skills
** Artisan Skills
** Blessing
** Enchanting/Ensorcelling/Elemental Resistance
** Healing
** Locksmithing
** Mass spells
** Society or Adventure Guild resources (Pelts, Gems, Herbs, etc)

Deaths resulting from PvP, direct GameMaster action, or GAME WIDE outage are exempt. Also any death that is a required part of a task that may or may not exist for a specific society is exempt.

GemStone IV Prime HARDCORE characters cannot use any item purchased with Simucoins. Similar items found normally are allowed.

GemStone IV Prime HARDCORE characters should toggle on the ability to view their level in their profiles.

And the Rewards:

Upon reaching level 20 a GemStone IV Prime HARDCORE character can show their Lord/Lady title to ** for a 1 million silver reward payable to a non-HARDCORE character of their choice. The first character to achieve this level will receive a reward of 2 million silver.

Upon reaching level 40 a GemStone IV Prime HARDCORE character can show their Great Lord/Lady title to ** for a 5 million silver reward payable to a non-HARDCORE character of their choice. The first character to achieve this level will receive a reward of 10 million silver.

Upon reaching level 70 a GemStone IV Prime HARDCORE character can show their High Lord/Lady title to ** for a 10 million silver reward payable to a non-HARDCORE character of their choice. The first character to achieve this level will receive a reward of 20 million silver.

Upon reaching level 100 a GemStone IV Prime HARDCORE character can show their Grand Lord/Lady title to ** for a 25 million silver reward payable to a non-HARDCORE character. The first character to achieve this level will receive a reward of 50 million silver and the adulation of his piers! Additionally the HARDCORE character is now exempt from deletion on death.

Please respond to this thread if you are interested in joining the competition and with any general questions/comments regarding its creation.

!>tell child to be quiet
The child cries, "I don't wanna!"
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/05/2017 07:25 AM CDT
Piers? Honestly... I'm too lazy to delete the thread and i'm TOTALLY blaming that on some sort of spellchecker.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/05/2017 02:56 PM CDT
Yeah, I could be talked into this one, too.

I know many ways to kill a monk between levels 1 and 20, so you'd think I could be a contenda!

Like I offered to Keith - I'll do what I can to help defray the personal expenses as well, if asked, Evarin.

And as a participant in the Platinum instance, I can tell you it's fun, not for the feint of heart, and annoying when you have that 'aww shuckin's' moment.

Doug
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/05/2017 03:22 PM CDT
Depending on the level of participation I may take you up on that offer, Doug. Any issues you've seen come up in the Plat instance you think we should address in Prime?

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/05/2017 04:09 PM CDT
I might be persuaded to pop into Prime just for this.

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/05/2017 04:14 PM CDT
Thanks for asking.

No, honestly in PLAT there haven't been any issues that have cropped up that I've seen. Might be worth checking in directly with Keith, though. I suspect he doesn't welcome it, but I suspect he's playing the role of arbiter / adjudicator as needed (more on this below). So he'd have a better perspective to offer.

Given that the HARDCORE event is run on the player honor system, I'd suspect that if the population were different, there might be some issues. Specifically, in PRIME, I would suggest the HARDCORE community discuss and decide how to handle the following items:

1) Total number of characters per player - given that Multi-Accounting has a bit higher price floor in PLAT this isn't likely to ever be an issue. In Prime, though, and especially if someone slogs it with F2P completely (which should be enticing in some categories) it could spiral fairly quickly. I'd say no more than 3 active characters in HARDCORE at any time as an opening bid. That might be too tight, though.

2) Multi-Accounting will be a thing, but what isn't really emphasized (yet!) in the PLAT effort is group hunting. I haven't said anything there, but I'm fairly sure that advancement in certain levels / game areas will require partnership. I don't have a potential inducement. It will likely grow out of necessity in PLAT, but here in PRIME we may need to encourage multiple player play versus multiple account play in some way. Very open to ideas here.

3) SLAMMING (bailing out of a combat encounter where the character is going to die) will likely be a thing. I have no insight into how to suggest it be managed, though - other than to add it to the list of prohibited activities and rely on the honor system. I have no insight on if this is an issue in PLAT, but as the levels increase, I wouldn't be surprised if even the most honorable player didn't at least consider bailing out if for no other reason than frustration.

4) The one grey area that could really use some work is the 'GAME-WIDE' impact deaths. While that may seem to be a fairly straight-forward line to bear (either the game is up or it isn't), it doesn't handle a couple of key areas very well. First, regional internet impact (ex: St Louis is under DDOS attack) and everyone seizes up briefly. A lot of folks clear up in game - and discussions begin about the weather. But as sure as I'm typing this, some HARDCORE member will get caught up in ghosting and be dead before he / she can manage to return. This same concept would hold true on a much more micro level (local ISP, local power outage). Here, I think the honor system can serve us fairly well - if stated clearly enough. Which leads me to my really strong suggestion:

Unless you want to play honor police, I would suggest these points get clarified and we just roll with it. Over the course of 100 hardcore levels I'm fairly convinced that a player that may be cutting corners will get identified by the community and be asked about those shortcuts. You (as the initiator of the idea ;) can spend your time enjoying the effort with us. But try to find the right way to limit your involvement as the honor police. Sincerely.

And as a modest improvement - if a hardcore adventurer does fall in the 4th category above (technical and totally unable to control), and we purposefully allow for that in the rules, I'd suggest no DEATH STING POTIONS. Make it HARDCORE. WORK IT OFF.

Just a few ramblin' thoughts.

Doug
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/05/2017 06:14 PM CDT
Shouldnt slamming be handled with the gaming mechanic that brings in an enraged monster when you log back in?
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/05/2017 06:46 PM CDT
Usually, yes.

However, I've seen chatter that indicates some players are aware of how to avoid that little gem of a devious GM pitfall. So, it's not as completely 'proof-against' as one might think. Ultimately, though, in game - if someone makes a practice of this over the course of 100 levels it will be observed. This is why I think just adding it to the verboten list explicitly should suffice.

Doug
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/05/2017 07:12 PM CDT
Appreciate the insight, Doug. I'll crosspost it in the other threads (PC and Elanthian Forums) for review and later discussion.

How are pawnshop purchases handled in the Plat version?

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/06/2017 11:54 PM CDT

Question, If a hardcore character dies do you have to delete it, or are you allowed to keep it as a non-hardcore character or does it have to be deleted?
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/06/2017 11:57 PM CDT
From the looks of the Platinum version, you can transfer the inventory to a non-hardcore character but the character itself is to be deleted. Obviously, this isn't enforceable, so if you wanted the keep the character I wouldn't ban you from starting a new one, but it's the spirit of the game to risk deletion upon death.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/07/2017 08:59 AM CDT
I don't know if this question has been answered, but. . .

>>How are pawnshop purchases handled in the Plat version?

I am pretty sure pawnshops are caught in the NPC shop clause - use it and buy from it is ok.

One late addition rule that I don't see in your list, E - you can ask for a bard to sing to an item. There's no real way for a character to duplicate part or all of this service for many items - so it is the one PC interaction that was added.

In truth, it still is of limited utility since when you have an item you don't need your options are really few (like - pawn it, or trash it). But from time to time you get that mysterious 'not buying anything that expensive today' item, and you just gotta know. . .

Doug
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/07/2017 09:04 AM CDT
>>it's the spirit of the game to risk deletion upon death.

This. I know it is absolutely insane / backwards way to look at this game, but until you experience it, it truly will just be words.

At least up to level 20, so far. Ask me again after level 40, and I might change my tune. But 'death / delete' is a whole new way to experience this game - even after 25 years (rounding a bit).

Doug
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/09/2017 01:07 PM CDT
I think this is a great idea.

But if you want this to be sustainable, I think you should have an entry fee if you are going to be giving away prizes. This can remove a lot of abuse cases with multiple characters, etc etc that people discussed above.

If there's no entry fee you could maybe talk to Wyrom and see if there is any cool stuff you could give away as prizes. For example, custom title to whoever hits 100th first.

It also may be worth thinking about creating shorter competitions first. For example, run one for 2 months and whoever is the highest level gets the prize. Or first to 50th. This could help generate a lot of buzz. And then start a 6 month (new chars), or 1 year, sort of like Path of Exile leagues.
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/09/2017 02:09 PM CDT
Some interesting ideas about running the competition for specific timeframes. I'll jot that down and see if there's interest in doing that.

I will cap entries if there is enough interest so I don't go broke. Doug has offered to help with costs as well if it's needed, so it shouldn't be too bad. Staff can of course get as involved as they like, but I imagine that won't come until the ball is rolling and there is enough interest/participation to warrant an investment of their time.

I want to start putting together a list of changes and concerns and update the various threads across the message boards, but we still have quite a ways until November 1st. Stay tuned!

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/09/2017 04:07 PM CDT
>> This sounds like fun. I'm in the process of plotting my character to roll up on 11/1.

Re: Items the HARDCORE character obtained from a merchant, including raffles and merchant services, are permitted.

Not sure why you would want to allow raffle / merchant service wins? Why not just close this avenue down before it gets out the gate?

-- Robert

SomeWizard hurls a stream of fire at a water elemental!
A heavy barrier of stone momentarily forms around a water elemental and blocks the attack!
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/09/2017 04:34 PM CDT
>>Not sure why you would want to allow raffle / merchant service wins? Why not just close this avenue down before it gets out the gate?

I'll take up the opposing view in the argument. (Ed note: This means I'm arguing a case, not necessarily that I insist it be this way.)

Specifically pay-to-obtain (as opposed to win) features are already disallowed. So no EG for the Hard of Core. No CCF, too! (bummed)

But - if a HoC (see what I did there?) character accumulates enough coinage (it's easy to get 2 mill by 20 trains, honestly), and if a raffle or service is announced to Prime (all players) - why shouldn't the HoC character participate if s/he wishes?

The key is the 'all players' - HoC is built on the premise that you will not take advantage of what other players offer, nor try to buy things that cannot be had outside the bounds of a subscription (paid events), but within the bounds of the subscription - it is fair game. Herbs, weapons, armor, FWI visits (including I suppose spending your points on item updates) all should be open to the HoC player's choice.

And - as a final thought - keeping this open likely will greatly improve the subscribed player involvement over the F2P player involvement. Simucoin purchases are verbotten - so it's a tough slog with F2P (and probably deserves its own goal / recognition, honestly!) But - if HoC involvement sustains or even helps improve subscription rates a bit - we should be all for that as a community!

Doug
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/09/2017 05:01 PM CDT
>> But - if a HoC (see what I did there?) character accumulates enough coinage (it's easy to get 2 mill by 20 trains, honestly), and if a raffle or service is announced to Prime (all players) - why shouldn't the HoC character participate if s/he wishes?

The Player of HoC (PoHoC)[<-- two can play at this game!] would still have access to these features via their account / other characters. My 'concern' if you want to call it that, is that I would prefer to keep the HoC playing field as even as possible and avoid, up front, something being introduced that could offer a distinct advantage to one lucky raffle winner. Suppose they offered HCP armor padding as a raffle opportunity next month? Sure the HoC character may have won it but I'm not sure that is within the spirit of the competition to use it. Maybe a more realistic example might be the offering of permablessing which has occurred at free to all events in recent times and can substantially alter the HoC characters hunting options vs. similar HoC characters.

>> (including I suppose spending your points on item updates)

This should be out of bounds as well since it would not be available to all subscriptions.

Just an opinion, I plan on playing either way since it's not really a competition so much as a new way to play and experience Gemstone. :-)

You bring up an interesting point re: FWI access which offers quick / easy herbs as well as 4x gear. Should this be off limits to the HoC as well? I don't care on this either way but it does provide an advantage (alebit small) for Premium vs. Prime.

>> And - as a final thought - keeping this open likely will greatly improve the subscribed player involvement over the F2P player involvement. Simucoin purchases are verbotten - so it's a tough slog with F2P (and probably deserves its own goal / recognition, honestly!) But - if HoC involvement sustains or even helps improve subscription rates a bit - we should be all for that as a community!

I'm having trouble seeing the subscription draw of this being stronger or weaker for the inclusion / exclusion of raffle wins / use of premium points. But I like the sentiment! :p

-- Robert

A heavy barrier of stone momentarily forms around a water elemental and blocks the attack!
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/09/2017 05:50 PM CDT
We can never truly even the odds across the board. At any given point a player could find a strong piece of gear from a creature or box and be ahead of the curve. They could make a good buy at the pawnshop. They could be independently wealthy and play nearly all day every day. Also, who says all things must be equal? Some professions are stronger than others at different level ranges. Some professions are far better suited to be self-reliant than others. Remember, this isn't so much a race as it is a mode of playing. If you're after the silver prize for being the first to do something, that's all well and good but it's supposed to be a neat little incentive and not the sole reason for playing.

I'd like to try to keep things as straight-forward as possible. Premium offers an advantage over non-premium, but everyone is able to choose to upgrade to premium if they wish. Same with entering into GM/MHO/CHE competitions. They are available to all in the competition in some form or another. Forcing people to start a new standard account may discourage some from participating. I'd still like for HARDCORE characters to be able to enjoy events being run in game. We've already removed the ability to hunt with non-HARDCORE characters, which is harsh, but far too easily abused. Think about how much more substantial a raffle win from one of these events would mean to a HARDCORE character versus a standard player. As with all things, i'm open to debating it, so feel free to disagree and we can start whittling down truly unfair advantages and the like.

The game is able to be completed self-spelled from 0 to 100 with 4x gear. Supposedly, it has been balanced around doing so. I don't think getting 4x-6x gear will be a challenge to anyone playing for any measurable amount of time, even under the restrictions we've laid out in the competition.

I do think Playershop purchases should be banned, though, as that system can be gamed relatively easily and would introduce an endless stream of equipment/items to balance. Anyone disagree? I'm open to discussing it, but please do so if you really believe it would improve the competition by allowing it.

In other discussions, we've talked about guild skills. I feel we should allow them, even to the point of training with non-hardcore characters. Again, I argue this from a player enjoyment perspective. It would possibly preclude certain professions from moving forward into their training if they were limited to HARDCORE training partners only. I will say you cannot MA your own partner. It goes against the spirit of the competition. Does anyone know how Plat handled this?

I also think we should ban spending Premium Points on HARDCORE characters. That is an easily controlled variable, so it seems fine to eliminate it. I'm also leaning towards banning the 1x a day magical items from FWI. That is another easily controlled variable.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/09/2017 06:14 PM CDT
Blah, probably shouldn't post while watching TV. Sorry for rambling.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/09/2017 06:19 PM CDT
Hah! I wish I could ramble that clearly. . .

Doug
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/09/2017 06:50 PM CDT
>> They could make a good buy at the pawnshop.

For some reason I thought this wasn't allowed but sure!

>> They could be independently wealthy and play nearly all day every day.

Doesn't really change anything from the mode of play in my book.

>> Also, who says all things must be equal? Some professions are stronger than others at different level ranges. Some professions are far better suited to be self-reliant than others.

This is all player controlled / player choice though. I'm fine with that.

>> I do think Playershop purchases should be banned, though, as that system can be gamed relatively easily and would introduce an endless stream of equipment/items to balance. Anyone disagree?

I don't think playershop purchases should be allowed.

>> In other discussions, we've talked about guild skills. I feel we should allow them, even to the point of training with non-hardcore characters. Again, I argue this from a player enjoyment perspective. It would possibly preclude certain professions from moving forward into their training if they were limited to HARDCORE training partners only.

This makes sense to me.

>> I also think we should ban spending Premium Points on HARDCORE characters. That is an easily controlled variable, so it seems fine to eliminate it. I'm also leaning towards banning the 1x a day magical items from FWI. That is another easily controlled variable.

Agree on both.

-- Robert

Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/09/2017 07:20 PM CDT
I suppose we can ban pawnshop purchases. The plat version allows purchases from NPC shops, so access to 4x gear isn't going to be all that difficult. Same with many magical items through various shops. I'll put it to a vote at some point soon.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/10/2017 06:31 AM CDT
I will say that the Plat version allowed Pawnshop purchases (with the caveat that you should not be selling something to the pawnshop to buy it with your HC) and banned Playershop purchases. The reason for allowing pawnshop purchases was simple. Some weapon types aren't easily accessible in NPC shops. It just allowed more ready access to a wider variety of weapons/armor/shields and made pawnshop hunting an exciting little side distraction. I know some Plat HARDCORE players also made use of any small statue, white crystal, good scroll, etc they could gather from the pawnshop as well.

As for other allowed item sources, I tried to limit anything limited per account. Premium/Platinum points is an oversight and I will be specifying on the Plat side that they are not allowed. I don't think I'm going to limit the 1x/day monthly spell item because you can get that on every character on your account. Granted in Platinum we ALL have access to this. I debated allowing merchant services that were not part of a pay event. In the end I agree that making free festivals interesting to HARDCORE characters was worthwhile.

The most important thing to remember is that one guideline should be followed above all. Do you feel this is within the spirit of the HARDCORE experience? If you feel the answer is no, even if it's allowed within the rules, don't do it. The last thing we want is to make Evarin police everyone. If you end up with a golvern claid on a HC character I'm pretty sure we're going to want to see a log of you finding that but otherwise no one is here to be the fun police. I won't subject myself to that experience in Plat and I hope he doesn't in Prime. This is about having fun.

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/10/2017 07:50 AM CDT
The guidance is appreciated, K.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/10/2017 03:24 PM CDT
I'm keen on the idea of allowing raffle entry and attendance for free festivals. One of the perks to this contest in my mind is generally changing the way I play GS for a while, having stupid shit like a raffle for adding flares to a 4x weapon mean something. Suddenly items from that free festival are looking hella sweet from the perspective of your HC character.

The no playershops rule seems legit. No PP, too.

What if one member of your hardcore duo team picks a bard (lol) or a cleric? Can they not sing their buff spells?! This seems super harsh. I don't want to be a bard anyway, but asking for the sake of clarification.

What does everyone think of nooblet level paladins? Will I have insane DS/TD issues? Rolled up a skirt to do some initial testing on. I want to Reim on my HC character! Positive I could pick up some good gear this way.

~Amanda, player of Treeva
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/10/2017 04:28 PM CDT
>What if one member of your hardcore duo team picks a bard (lol) or a cleric? Can they not sing their buff spells?! This seems super harsh. I don't want to be a bard anyway, but asking for the sake of clarification.

I'd be interested to hear how this is handled in Plat before I make a hard and fast ruling. To what extent can HARDCORE characters help each other in combat? Remember, it is against the rules to MA your characters for this competition.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/10/2017 06:02 PM CDT

I reckon you either have to allow passive assistance or ban grouping.

If its about the purity of the competition, you ban grouping, if its about the spirit of the roleplay, you allow passive assistance. If it persists after the group breaks (i.e. its a massie not a group effect), it needs to be banned, but its not just bards with Kai and clerics with Benediction, there's a whole host of other passive effects that apply in groups and the only way to cut them out would be to prohibit grouping even with another player's HARDCORE character as an illegal form of assistance.

If one Hardcore character can take advantage of another's ewave or feint or Bind on a critter, it would be ridiculous to rule out Kais. (and if groups of hardcore characters are surviving long enough to master warcries, something far more serious than Holler is being exploited)

I'm not sure if you've said only one hardcore character per player at a time (delete your existing one and you can start anew, but no concurrent play), but I'd suggest putting that in as another way of controlling passive assistance exploits without squelching roleplay.
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/10/2017 07:17 PM CDT
I like the suggestion of one character per player at a time.

I also would prefer to be able to group up with other HC people, playing partners are best. It definitely gives an advantage to the people grouping though, agreed ahead of time.

Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/10/2017 09:50 PM CDT
Friends are why some of us play GS! This would mean all sorts of NEW friends are possible! Allow friends!

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
;tune towncrier

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
TownCrier News Dailies via Email: http://bit.ly/2ivAJfw
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/11/2017 12:29 AM CDT
Alright. Leaning towards allowing passive spells for now. No 611, 419, 911, etc. Just spells you can't help but get if they're already cast by the player in question.

As for multiple HARDCORE characters, what makes sense to me is to say 1 character logged in at a time. Have as many as you want. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/11/2017 08:46 AM CDT
I don't believe Platinum HoC has anything to say for or against passive spells. If I understand the spirit (which I'll address about the Prime HoC effort in a moment) of the competition, there is nothing wrong with gaining the benefit of passive spells when one joins a group. Asking a group to stop using a group-affecting spell would not only be (insane|rude|unheard-of), it would affect everyone's enjoyment. Asking someone to cast Strength on your character just because that box is lying there squeaking 'take me' and you're encumbered and without your black crystal? That's a problem.

I'm going to suggest this MA decision get a revisit. I don't believe the cmmpe-ration (compe tative-coope ration) itself is to set specifications on play enjoyment or roleplay. If it were, we rather should be assigning stats / professions to players and saying 'make this work'.

The concept of only having one HoC character logged in at any time is a bit beyond what I feel we need to introduce as 'rules'. Keep in mind, each 'rule' will ultimately have to be governed in a time where there's a question / challenge. The 'fewer rules' wins.

I said 3 to initiate the MA discussion. I'm sorry I missed the discussion, because I don't think the rule needs to limit to 1, even with the strong desire to avoid an MA army. Even if that's what we're going to run with (I still think it's too tight), suggesting that only one character be logged in at a time? I'd submit that's trying to control the spirit, rather than letting it breathe. If we truly don't want to see even 2 characters together controlled by the same player then just leave it at 'group level'. No HoC character should join with another existing HoC character of the same player. Who cares (and more importantly, why would we care) if they have one in Ta'Vaalor, one in Ice Mule and one in Solhaven logged in all in at the same time?

And even then, I think that's probably more stringent than we should try to 'enforce.' I get the desire to avoid MA armies. Believe me I do. Two? Three?

Doug
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/11/2017 12:38 PM CDT
Yes, what I am against is the MA army. Reading the replies in this thread, I can agree that I'm fine with someone having a character in Ta'Vaalor and one in Solhaven, playing concurrently. So whatever our overlord (Evarin) or the mass votes, I'm ok with it after hearing the rebuttal.

Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/12/2017 08:09 AM CDT
Makes sense to me, Doug. I'll amend the rules to say you cannot have your HARDCORE characters at the same place/same time. I didn't think people would want to MA 2 or more of these guys at once unless doing so for a mechanical advantage, but if there's a desire, so be it.

I will say that all HARDCORE characters must be individually tracked. If someone means to try to get 5 of these guys to level 20 and so on i'll need to know about it in advance. That could start to get rather expensive for me. If enough people wish to join, I will start to cap how many HARDCORE characters one player can have in the competition to allow room for as many competitors as possible.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/12/2017 10:23 AM CDT
I'm not exactly sure what mechanical advantage it might provide beyond what any 'group' would - again, if the player were playing in the spirit of HoC. Spells still aren't shared, healing still isn't done, etc. But, I hear ya.

>>If someone means to try to get 5 of these guys to level 20 and so on i'll need to know about it in advance.

With respect to this, and given the possibility all 535 players could want to become involved, I'd suggest that each award be granted to a non-HoC character of a player once. It doesn't matter how many characters the player has involved - each threshold is crossed once by that player and the recognition is for the player's accomplishment, not the character's. No farming for silvers from Evarin!

So, in addition to name, race and profession, you would want to track player's non-HoC award character (and this one should be the same one throughout the event).

Doug
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/24/2017 06:22 AM CDT
With the November 1st start of the HARDCORE competition quickly approaching, I have attempted to further refine the rules and would appreciate feedback. Note that it will likely be impossible to spell out guidelines for every conceivable situation, so the goal is to shed light on commonly encountered issues. When in doubt, consider the spirit of the competition and act accordingly.

== Contest Rules ==

* All participants, upon creation, must post in the GemStone IV Prime HARDCORE thread to include their HARDCORE character's name, race and profession. Said characters must be created on or after November 1st, 2017.

* Upon death you should submit a post to the thread informing the community of the character’s death and immediately delete the character. Inventory may be transferred to a non-HARDCORE character prior to deletion.

* HARDCORE characters must be self-spelled. This means no outside spells may be used. Spells the character can activate themselves from Magic Items or Scrolls are permitted. Automatic group spells such as (but not limited to) Benediction (307), Warding Sphere (310), Kai's Triumph Song (1007), and Song of Tonis (1035) are permitted when hunting with other HARDCORE characters. Group spells that remain once the character leaves the hunting group such as (but not limited to) Mass Blurs (911), Mass Colors (611), and Mass Elemental Defense (419) are not permitted.

* Participation in Profession Guilds, to include giving and receiving training is permitted to include the involvement of both HARDCORE and Non-HARDCORE characters. MAing your training partner is not permitted.

* Training in artisan skills, with the exception of fletching, is not permitted.

* HARDCORE characters are not to be hunted with non-HARDCORE characters. Further, while playing more than 1 HARDCORE character at a time is permitted, MAing HARDCORE characters for group hunting purposes or any other unforseen benefits is not permitted. (No HARDCORE MA armies, please!)

* The use of secondary characters for the purposes of locker storage, audience repetitions, experience gain, or any other benefit is not permitted.

* Items and silver may not be obtained from other characters. This means nothing may be received from another character or player shop. All silver and inventory must be earned by the HARDCORE character. NPC shop purchases are permitted. Items the HARDCORE character obtained from a merchant, including raffles and merchant services, are permitted. Use of the pawnshop is allowed. However, no attempts should be made to knowingly buy or sell items to purposefully supply HARDCORE characters.

* The taking or use of items left on the town bench, donation bin, or other communal containers is not permitted, though HARDCORE characters are free to donate items. HARDCORE characters may not take or make use of any items or silver found laying on the ground unless generated by the game itself (truffles, smooth stones, etc).

* Items from a grand auction, Duskruin, Delirium Manor or other "pay to play", or "1 win per account" sources are not permitted. Items from Reim are permitted but only from your daily free Reim run.

* No outside services from OTHER CHARACTERS are allowed. This includes:
** Armor skills
** Artisan Skills
** Blessing
** Enchanting/Ensorcelling/Elemental Resistance
** Healing
** Locksmithing
** Mass spells
** Society or Adventure Guild resources (Pelts, Gems, Herbs, etc)

* NOTE: The use of Bards for the purposes of Loresinging is permitted.

* Deaths resulting from PvP, direct GameMaster action, or GAME WIDE outage are exempt. Also any death that is a required part of a task that may or may not exist for a specific society is exempt.

* GemStone IV Prime HARDCORE characters cannot use any item purchased with Simucoins. Similar items found normally are allowed.

* Gemstone IV Prime HARDCORE characters cannot use any mechanically beneficial item or service obtained via Premium Points, nor can HARDCORE characters use the free X a day Premium spell items.

* GemStone IV Prime HARDCORE characters should toggle on the ability to view their level in their profiles.

Additionally, I have decided to add the following stipulation to the Rewards category:

== Rewards ==

F2P HARDCORE characters will be awarded the same silver prize as the first character to reach each level milestone regardless of their time to reach said level (20, 40, 70, 100).

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/24/2017 06:41 AM CDT
I'm going to also ban the use of the OOG Premium Monthly submission contest prizes for HARDCORE characters. The monthly raffles are permitted, however. See if this makes sense.

* Items from a grand auction, Duskruin, Delirium Manor or other "pay to play", or "1 win per account" sources are not permitted. Items from Reim are permitted but only from your daily free Reim run. Prizes obtained from OOG competitions or rewards such as (but not limited to) the Premium Monthly Submission contest, Indiegogo campaigns, GM/Gamehost/Mentor rewards, and CHE/MHO Officer rewards are not permitted.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/24/2017 08:39 PM CDT
I understand banning cobbling but can we allow the learning of forging, at least for the weapon type a HARDCORE character is using?

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/24/2017 09:34 PM CDT
Alright. I'll allow 1 weapon type.

!>tell child to be quiet
Re: Gemstone Prime HARDCORE: Assessing Interest and Establishing Rules (UNOFFICIAL) 10/25/2017 06:35 AM CDT
2 if you use katars or bastard swords?

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Prev_page Previous 1 3