Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: WAYLAY (Attack) Verb 01/04/2020 10:25 AM CST
Can we get waylay to work while invisible?
Re: WAYLAY (Attack) Verb 01/04/2020 11:24 AM CST
>>Now Doug seemed to have the right idea by suggesting yet another verb like POWERSTRIKE, or whatever, that may utilize the CM skill for extra concussion damage at the expense of critical damage. However, what would be the cost for such an attack type? Additional RT? Stamina costs? Both? -Contemplar

Same RT modifiers as ambush, and the first one's a freebie with an attached cooldown based on PF, CM and used weapon skill (THW, edged, brawl, etc) ranks, costing stamina when used during cooldown, like MSTRIKE?

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!

Re: WAYLAY (Attack) Verb 01/04/2020 12:38 PM CST
Power strike?

https://gswiki.play.net/Mighty_Blow
Re: WAYLAY (Attack) Verb 01/04/2020 01:25 PM CST
Well, then. . . there you have it. Wonder why it's not used (by squares) very often, or if it is and I'm mistaken.

Still, the DF increase seems modest, compared to the results of waylay. Thanks, Rolfard! Perhaps the right answer is to review usage of this cman and bring it a bit more in line?

Doug
Re: WAYLAY (Attack) Verb 01/04/2020 04:35 PM CST
<Wonder why it's not used (by squares) very often, or if it is and I'm mistaken.>

Just speaking for my warrior, but for anything that's immune to crits MSTRIKE is gonna do more damage, for anything else I'd just as soon aim my attacks at the head/neck. If Mighty Blow completely removed a critters ability to outright evade/block/parry for that attack, there are situations I'd find it useful.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: WAYLAY (Attack) Verb 01/04/2020 07:52 PM CST
>> If Mighty Blow completely removed a critters ability to outright evade/block/parry for that attack, there are situations I'd find it useful.

Now we're talking. In fact, add a few bennies to ranged / bolt spells along this line, too, please!

But squares first. Ambushers seem happy. How about everyone else holding cold steel?

Doug
Re: WAYLAY (Attack) Verb 01/05/2020 11:42 AM CST
Mighty Blow's high CMP and stamina cost with its propensity to be EBP'd makes it a Prerequisite-Only CM in most cases. The only warrior I've known to use it was Metadi, and that was situational at best- post-cap invasion creatures based off of tree spirits. However, it doesn't 3rd person proc anything when used, so I can only offer the anecdotes of "I never use it" and "I knew a guy who did but it wasn't for regular use" since we don't normally see it. It also didn't make a measurable difference other than eating up his stamina and putting him at a disadvantage when it came time to lay down Mstrikes and other maneuvers.

It falls in line with Staggering Blow, which I took 3 ranks in for the Executioner's Stance benefit- it's fun as a party trick, but the high CMP costs as well as its own mechanics when used on its own make it generally undesirable. Were it an actual maneuver rather than a status effect/room bounce tacked onto a standard melee attack, it might see more situational use- I could definitely see using it to bounce a deathsworn fanatic or veiled sentinel to another room so I could deal with the nine hundred lurks swarming me, etc. In its current state, I may as well just headshot the fanatic (for 6 RT and no stamina burn) rather than screw around trying to disable/control it and move on. This is the case with so much of the CML.

Even then, were Mighty Blow, Staggering Blow and Sunder Shield folded into Batter Barriers from the Warrior's Guild (and their subsequent statuses as prereqs for certain skills tweaked to include this), of course they'd see more use- and it would free up points for warriors to diversify their CMLs a bit more as well. All the little prereqs eat up points, and when points are are so severely limited to begin with, it's one of the reasons so much of the CML is abandoned for what works/what you actually need vs what might be fun.

-james, bristenn's player

You think to yourself, "FFF-"
A giant white bunny hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
You evade the bolt by a hair!

Re: WAYLAY (Attack) Verb 01/09/2020 09:51 AM CST
So I took a week off and just read "the other threads" for a while, since I know I was getting warm under the collar.

The adding of anything--be it crit weighting or damage weighting--is tied to the fact of being hidden. If you swing (aimed or not) and get discovered while the command is winging its way to & from the Simu server, then no matter what verb you use it's going to go through from the open. This is true for Attack [would add crit weighting if you were still hidden] or Ambush [would add crit weighting if you were still hidden] and Waylay [would add damage weighting if you were still hidden].
But because you were sniffed out by that 2nd level animal, what you get is an un-hidden swing.

EXCEPT for the fact that use of the Ambush verb--or the persistent 'Aim' setting--still gets processed. (Just with a different set of skills.) This potentially has you hit the desired body part anyhow, just with a lot less effectiveness.
This part happens NO MATTER whether you are now hidden or not.

Yes, I was trying to get the damage weighting capability for those stuck in UNhidden melee. I am still interested in that. I wanted to have the effect of 'waylay' [damage weighting] be persistent to the verb--NOT the hiding status--in the same way that "aim at this body part" is persistent to the 'ambush' verb... not the hiding status.

"a few tweaks to the quick strike cost mechanics resulting in more power to your swing vs. a faster swing. PSTRIKE and QSTRIKE." -- Other-Robert

I like this possibility.

But since QStrike currently works with "all the verbs" (ambush, attack, UCS, mstrike)--with some variance in stamina cost--could you not "Qstrike Pstrike Mstrike third orc"?

I was not a fan of Mighty Blow when I played with it during free reallocation, I suspect because it cost a lot of CMan points and stamina and could be EBPd, like James points out.
If it got the QStrike treatment--being turned into a verb for use by everyone--I might like it a whole lot better.
Re: WAYLAY (Attack) Verb 01/09/2020 01:20 PM CST

>I wanted to have the effect of 'waylay' [damage weighting] be persistent to the verb--NOT the hiding status--in the same way that "aim at this body part" is persistent to the 'ambush' verb... not the hiding status.

According to Estild, WAYLAY works like ambush, you can use it to aim your attack:

The attack can be aimed, but if you aim and miss the location, you only get half of the normal bonus, like with a normal ambush. It's open to any profession, but since you must be hidden to use it and the damage bonus is based upon ambush skill

I don't understand what you're trying to get at, AMBUSH and WAYLAY function the same way. Except one uses crit and the other damage weighting.

You can aim attacks with AMBUSH (requires ambush skill to be good at aiming)
You can aim attacks with WAYLAY (according to Estild, ability to aim your shot still requires ambush skill ranks)
AMBUSH does not give crit weighting from non-hidden AMBUSH attacks.
WAYLAY does not give damage weighting from non-hidden WAYLAY attacks.
Re: WAYLAY (Attack) Verb 01/09/2020 08:23 PM CST
My point has been consistent throughout: "standing in melee" can frequently need help, too, especially when facing creatures that cannot be critted.

"AMBUSH does not give crit weighting from non-hidden AMBUSH attacks." -- BBRodriguez

True, but it doesn't give weighting when hidden, either. (Being hidden gives crit--and now, damage--weighting... and then only if you have Ambush ranks.)
However, it does let you hit a particular body part, whether hidden or not.
I was angling to have it also have an effect whether hidden or not; there was even a convenient possibility sitting right there, in the form of newly added damage weighting...
Re: WAYLAY (Attack) Verb 01/09/2020 09:32 PM CST
It seems like the underlying problem is that some critters are immune to crits, and some characters are built around using crits to survive. Damaging something whose skin approximates plate armor and has 1000+ health without a way to do lots of damage doesn't work. Though some critters may fall into this category, the main application seems to be for Reim and Duskruin. I suppose waylay does a decent job of filling the gap for characters who ambush from hiding with a melee weapon.

What other builds need to be considered?

Also, are critters that are immune to crits really necessary? Could they just have some high CER of crit weighting, instead? Why don't we have characters that are immune to crits? And, how come we don't get 1000+ health?
Re: WAYLAY (Attack) Verb 01/10/2020 09:17 PM CST
I am grateful that this thread brought up mblow as I had completely written it off. After playing around with a full 5 ranks of it the damage boost is noticeable and I can atleast see some similar circumstances I would use it over mstrike or qstrike. However, its benefits STILL do not outweigh the opportunity costs for losing 30 CMAN points. Please incorporate this and the other warrior only "brute force" cmans into the warrior guild skills or something else.
Re: WAYLAY (Attack) Verb 02/16/2020 08:21 AM CST
So, currently Waylay doesn't work with UAC? Why not? I'm not using my bare fists, I am using enchanted handwraps or gauntlets; these should count as weapons.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville;
we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: WAYLAY (Attack) Verb 02/16/2020 08:56 AM CST
OK, I tried using waylay with a UAC attack; I'm not sure if it's working as designed, but the waylay command itself does work. Both an aimed punch and waylay are fatal, due to th target being so wimpy. I'll have to try it on something sturdier to get a better idea.

>waylay kob
You step out of hiding to waylay a scrawny worm-covered kobold!
You swing a closed fist at a scrawny worm-covered kobold!
AS: +424 vs DS: +24 with AvD: +20 + d100 roll: +96 = +516
... and hit for 140 points of damage!
Blow ruptures the stomach!
The worm-covered kobold crumples to a heap on the ground and dies.
Roundtime: 4 sec.
R>
>hide
Roundtime: 3 sec.
You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
HR>pun kob head
You leap from hiding to strike!
You make a precise attempt to punch a scrawny worm-covered kobold!
You have excellent positioning against a scrawny worm-covered kobold.
UAF: 557 vs UDF: 43 = 2.000 (capped) * MM: 122 + d100: 54 = 298
... and hit for 105 points of damage!
Explosive punch to the face leaves little else than a pulpy mass of blood, bone, and brain matter!
The worm-covered kobold crumples to a heap on the ground and dies.
R>

It looks like the waylay verb is treating my handwraps as a normal weapon, since it's using AS vs DS to resolve the attack, while the punch command uses the UAC system.

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville;
Re: WAYLAY (Attack) Verb 02/16/2020 09:23 AM CST
Ummm, no I was wrong. I tried using waylay with and without my handwraps; the AS and AvD are the same in both cases. Looks like waylay is just using the stats for bare fist.
I guess I will need o use something like a fist scythe to get the full benefit of waylay. How annoying; can this be changed?
H>waylay rolt
H>
You step out of hiding to waylay a pus-covered rolton!
You swing a closed fist at a pus-covered rolton!
AS: +424 vs DS: -3 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +26 = +478
... and hit for 332 points of damage!
Incredible smash to what used to be a stomach!
The pus-covered rolton collapses to the ground, emits a final bleat, and dies.
R>get hand
>wear hand
>
You remove some leather handwraps from in your deep black silk pack.
>
You slip some leather handwraps over your hands.
>s
>
A pus-covered rolton decays into a pile of fur and bone.
>
[Wehnimer's, Exterior]
As you stand next to the southwest corner of the Landing, you have an unobstructed view of the plain. Some distance away you can make out the vague figures of shepherdesses tending their flocks of Rolton -- sheep indigenous to the region. Further south the grassy expanse turns hilly, eventually terminating in stark mountains that line the horizon. You also see a pus-covered rolton, a wooden signpost and a withered patch of grass.
Obvious paths: north, southeast, southwest
>
A pus-covered rolton trots north.
>hide
Roundtime: 3 sec.
You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
HR>n
[Wehnimer's, Exterior]
Clear grassland stretches far to the southwest, a futile lesson in the immensity of Elanith. To the northwest, the grassy plain gives way to a smattering of pines that dot the landscape. Immediately east of you looms the high wooden wall of the Landing which provides you with a sense of security against all the unknown things that may lurk in plain and forest alike. You also see a pus-covered rolton and a withered patch of grass.
Obvious paths: north, south
Roundtime: 2 sec.
HR>waylay rolt
H>
You step out of hiding to waylay a pus-covered rolton!
You swing a closed fist at a pus-covered rolton!
AS: +424 vs DS: -3 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +55 = +507
... and hit for 161 points of damage!
A mighty hit turns the pus-covered rolton's insides to outsides!
The pus-covered rolton collapses to the ground, emits a final bleat, and dies.

Re: WAYLAY (Attack) Verb 02/16/2020 09:24 AM CST
It's kind of entertaining to hit heavy armor targets with my translucent vultite-alloy quarterstaff using waylay. It does a bunch of hitpoint damage and if I can get over the rank 1 crit threshold, it can usually have a halfway decent crit one the same attack.

I suggest testing waylay in a plate wearing creature and see what results you get.
Re: WAYLAY (Attack) Verb 02/16/2020 07:16 PM CST
The point isn't that waylay does a bunch of damage when using a weapon, I KNOW that. he point is that waylay doesn't use UAC gear as weapons, it treats them as a bare fist.
A simple case. I own a cestus, A cestus is a mailed glove, often with knuckle spikes. A cestus is considered a brawling WEAPON.
I have a pair of gauntlets. A gauntlet is also a mailed glove. it is considered UAC GEAR.

Waylay does not treat a gauntlet the same way it does a cestus, despite the fact that they are basically almost identical in nature and construction. This needs to be corrected, otherwise I will have to carry a brawling weapon around and remember to grab it when I use waylay, and stow it away again if I want to punch something.

Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page