Design philosophy: feats and ascension 02/16/2021 01:19 PM CST
Just wanted to express my hope that a similar design philosophy goes into (some of the) skills from the eventual Elite and Legendary ascension tiers as went into (some of the) feats, namely:

* mutual exclusivity creating difficult choices
* huge character-defining payoffs
* support for highly unconventional builds (specifically thinking of Arcane Trickster here, but Serenity also applies to a lesser extent)
* support for utility-oriented builds (e.g. Locksmith and Ruffian)

A few GM comments here and there have given me hope that things like this will happen, like Viduus saying in the paladin forum that he hopes to create hard choices for them via ascension, so we'll see. Love the feats on their own too, so keep at it! :D

https://gswiki.play.net/Leafiara_(prime)
Re: Design philosophy: feats and ascension 02/16/2021 04:10 PM CST
>* support for utility-oriented builds (e.g. Locksmith and Ruffian)

This needs to be rather better than is on offer so far. Despite not having hunted in about 5 years, I'd take one that supports over hunting over Locksmith, because the bonuses it gives can only be exploited by a pickbot.
Re: Design philosophy: feats and ascension 02/17/2021 11:09 AM CST
I actually do agree Locksmith could use a couple more benefits, like having civilized room RT even out in the field, or a chance to reroll fumbles when picking (though maybe either of those would be more of an ascension level of perk than a feat level of perk).

That said, I'm putting aside the specifics and just hoping for the overarching concept of having utility-oriented ascension paths. :D I'm sure not all of them would end up appealing to me, depending on how the final results turned out. But I can definitely think of possible utility paths that would entice me, especially for rangers, bards, and wizards (with, respectively, 614, 1004, and 517/420/925), so I hope the options are there.

https://gswiki.play.net/Leafiara_(prime)
Re: Design philosophy: feats and ascension 03/10/2021 12:43 PM CST

Honestly I don't think it can be exploited by a pick bot either. 20% increase to pool boxes only helps you get fried initially. Once you're fried, presumably, you'd still be blocked from getting new boxes due to the worker's opinion that you need to "rest your mind a bit". Since there is a time component to boxes regardless, having the ability to auto measure boxes is useless as well. Might as well just caliper it out, you'll get the same amount of boxes per hour in the end.

I've never hunted my rogue, and I still see no benefit to taking the Locksmith path.
Re: Design philosophy: feats and ascension 03/10/2021 01:16 PM CST
Saturated experience for pool picking might be attractive.

e.g. for every box in your current streak of successful pool picks, you get to keep 1exp that would otherwise be lost to being fried/saturated on your next success. Turn one down, fumble a trap, go and get experience in some other way instead, and your streak is reset to zero, but otherwise if you can get enough experience out of your pool boxes to stay fried, you get to go saturated.