Ascension Update 06/17/2020 08:37 PM CDT
The team met last night and finalized some additional details regarding Ascension, which I’m now opening up for player discussion.

* A character can’t participate in the Ascension system until level 20. After that point, they can divert a percent of their normal experience toward Ascension experience at the rate of 1 percent per level (e.g. 20% at level 20, 50% at level 50, and 100% at level 100).
* Characters will be able to earn milestone Ascension Training Points (ATPs) for completing certain activities, in addition to earning ATPs by converting a certain amount of field experience to Ascension experience. Our goal is that the average character will easily earn 10 ATPs by level 100, with an additional 5 or so ATPs being possible for more dedicated characters. As an example, you might be able to earn 1 milestone ATP per 20 levels earned on your character. When possible, any credit for these activities will be retroactively applied.
* Characters will earn 1 ATP per 50,000 Ascension experience earned.
* Common abilities, which include +stat/skill/resists, act as enhancives, that stack with enhancive items, but are not subject to the enhancive limit and require no recharging.
* Each rank of +stat ability is +1 stat, not bonus. Each +skill rank is +1 skill bonus. Each +resist is +1% resist, but resist items and abilities do not stack and only use the largest bonus from all categories.
* The first 5 ranks of each +stat/skill/resist Common ability will cost 1 ATP each. Every 5 ranks after that, the cost increases by +1 ATP. As such, it will require approximately 9 million Ascension experience just to reach rank 40 in any one individual Common ability, and there are over 70 of them.

Please keep in mind, this system is mainly intended for post-cap development and to ensure longevity in the game. It’s our goal that no character should ever maximize every ability, or even more than a handful of them. In addition, this represents just the Common abilities. The Elite and Legendary will potentially be significantly more expensive, but also more impactful and character defining. Lastly, once we have most of this system in place, we hope to introduce new post-capped hunting grounds that are significantly more difficult, but offer greater rewards for the effort (more Ascension experience and treasure) compared to existing options. Let us know what you think!

GameMaster Estild
Re: Ascension Update 06/17/2020 08:43 PM CDT
Looks good!

Some of this was already somewhat in discussion before as placeholders (now finalized), but I really love the completing some activities for ATPs part that hadn't been mentioned as a possibility at all before. I absolutely wanted to start things off with a bang when ascension releases, and this should do it!

One question...

You mentioned reaching rank 40 in a Common ability. Is that the max number for all of them, or do they have differing amounts? (e.g. you can go to 40 Strength but 50 Two-Handed Weapons, etc.)
Re: Ascension Update 06/17/2020 09:05 PM CDT
Looks good and well balanced.
Re: Ascension Update 06/17/2020 09:06 PM CDT
This sounds awesome estild. Reason numbers and love the bonus ascension hunting grounds. Can't wait for it. Only request is to rethink the resist stacking since it seems like everything else stacks with enhancives.

Also, can +health be added as an common ability? Did not see this listed in the original brainstorm list.
Re: Ascension Update 06/17/2020 09:50 PM CDT
So I guess I'll start.

If I am understanding properly, 50K per ATP, 500K = 10 ATP and we're carefully differentiating between experience and 'Ascension experience'.

I understand this to mean there will not be a 1:1 mapping of experience to 'Ascension experience'. This seems buttressed by the 'means to earn Ascension experience' comment.

Just at a glance, given that a character could post level 50 put 50% of EXP to AXP (yep, I did that), and 50% of EXP from level 50 to cap = 2,506,249 EXP, we're talking something on the order of a 5 EXP to 1 AXP ratio?

Of course, that is maths. . .

Doug
Re: Ascension Update 06/17/2020 10:40 PM CDT
Very rarely post here. But here goes.

Given the newness of the system and the potential for new abilities and the time it will take to build ATPs and styles and combinations. Please, please, please; dont gate the changing of Ascension skills behind fixskill pots or a new like item in the store.

I should be able to pick a skill, try it out, like it, hate it, love it, "meh" it, and change to a new one tomorrow if I desire.

No migrations, no waiting, just switch it.

Fixskills, Fixstats, keep it for the level grind. Ascension, let the capped folk (of which I am not yet, dangit) play in the sandbox. And not just for a limited time apon "release".

Thanks!

-Berost
Re: Ascension Update 06/18/2020 01:19 AM CDT
I think one of the reasons we wont see 'forever free instant migration' would be its too easy to go up to say, +40 in a stat to complete a difficult enchant or ensorcell then re-spec right back into normal mode or hunt more or whatever. And while there is definitely value in being able to have a way to re-spec ascension points, making it free forever all the time is probably not wise.

As for the proposal itself, I like it. Again, I'll repeat, these common elements 100% do not excite me. But I recognize plenty of people like the stat increases and such. Im hoping the 'WOW!' will come in the elite and legendary tiers :) The gains itself seem cool, and the milestones...well, it'll be nice! Im hoping the milestones will be quite varied too.

Top 10 milestone ideas! Note: No repeats. Its not EACH time you hit these things, but the first time only.

Gain 1 ATP...
1. once you reach 1000 deaths!
2. for doing 1000 loresongs!
3. if you reach level 50 with less than 10 deaths!
4. for picking 1000 boxes!
5. for getting 100 unique RPA nominations (adjust this for shattered/plat)!
6. for raising 100 unique people from the dead!
7. for participating/having a major role in a cool storyline!
8. for burning down 100 warcamps!
9. for using 10000 spirit towards CoL abilities!
10. for your highest foe defeated being over 110!

AuchandToday at 11:28 PM
I would like to reiterate: Whick is my hero.

What is love? BB don't hurt me05/13/2020
Whick's so helpful! He's our villain even in our backchannel chatter as staff. :smile:
Re: Ascension Update (some suggestions) 06/18/2020 10:25 AM CDT
First, very exciting. So far everything you folks have put out is looking great. Just had a few system-type suggestions I wanted to toss out.

I would like to see some head nod towards current post-cap-ness. I think you've taken the right general approach to having a new set of exp. But, just like when we moved to the level cap, there should be a bit of a bonus for people beyond the useful stages of the old system. What if one of the milestone ATPs was earned for each 1 million standard exp? This would give 7 ATPs for people as they level (vs 5 for the suggested 1/20 levels), and would give a moderate but still appreciated boost to people who have toiled for many years under the old system.

I would also like to see gaining citizenship in a town as a milestone. We could use some more regional and race based RP.

Most of the other ones I would like to see are probably already on your lists (bounty tasks done, killing x number of goblins, finishing an artisan skill or forging weapon type).

Will post more if they come to me.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: Ascension Update 06/18/2020 12:33 PM CDT
A couple of trackable milestones that all classes have access to:
- 1AP per million bounty points earned
- 1AP for every twenty levels (as a nod to those who’ve been grinding exp without much useful skills for years prior, make this uncapped and use total exp Ie ~21m exp would be level 201)
- 1AP for mastering forging/artisan/instrument skill
- 1AP for being a master in a society
Re: Ascension Update 06/18/2020 02:10 PM CDT
"- 1AP for being a master in a society" -- Muche1963

- One for being a former member of all three (3) societies.

- Extra percentages automatically applied to EXP/AXP conversion for "stages of 20 levels done while NOT a member of a society." (My Bard didn't join anything until 92nd level when I found out that Sunfist had a +Mana Recovery , so the 20, 40, 60, and 80 level blocks would all have counted.)

- At least one point for having renounced citizenship in every city. (I would actually go so far as to give "one per race", so if you renounce in everything E of the mountains/Elflands, that's one. If you renounce in both Zul Logoth & Kharam Dzu, that's one. If you renounce in 'everything in the human lands'/Landing & Solhaven & Icemule & River's Rest, that's one. And then one on top of that, for collecting the whole set.)

- (Extremely self-serving...) One for every sixty (60) continuous months of Premium. <cough> <flee!>
Re: Ascension Update 06/18/2020 03:06 PM CDT
I really hope that my post-cap Warrior, who doesn't hunt a lot, can still reap a lot of the benefits of Ascension points. And perhaps have the option to invest the Experience from meeting goals of maxing out certain skills into Ascension skills via a FIXSKILL perhaps.

- R-man/Hammerr'
Re: Ascension Update 06/18/2020 09:15 PM CDT
It sounds like one of the goals is to encourage future activity, i.e. generating experience somehow. Allowing players to reallocate existing exp wouldn't accomplish this. Earning points for activity-related milestones is an interesting idea, though. As long as the counter starts today, it accomplishes the same thing. It's just a lot of experience equivalent.

Maybe instead of 1 ATP for 50,000 exp, it could be 1 ATP for every 5,000 exp (or even less). Abilities cost 10x higher to compensate. This would allow more flexibility in how ATP are earned down the road.
Re: Ascension Update 06/19/2020 12:59 AM CDT

This all sounds like a solid design, at least for parts you've shared with us. Really really glad to hear that the enhancive ascencions will not be subject to the normal +40/+50 limits. I'm already swimming through the possibilities of what I'd boost first.

I'd love to see it take a somewhat less ascension experience to gain a point. The most famous slog for postcap pures is 50k exp per dodge rank, which always seemed to me like a way of saying "you're not actually supposed to do this, but if you insist, go ahead, weirdo". Ascension is supposed to be a thing that more than just the most masochistic enjoy pursuing (I think?) 50k ascension exp for a point of, say, AGI stat seems at least as brutal as 50k per dodge rank. And that's only the introductory price - it doubles after the first 5!

Or scale more gently. For example, 10k per ATP, 5 ATP per common rank (no change so far). But at 5 rank intervals, it scales to 6/7/8/9/10/etc points. Even that awful dodge slog has the courtesy to not scale over the course of 101 ranks!

Alternatively, I'd like to still gain 20% normal experience when gaining full ascension experience (and vice versa). Maybe just after cap?
Re: Ascension Update 06/19/2020 08:16 AM CDT
Ascension points seem very slow to get. Which is fine, but then 1 Ascension point = +1 stat? That seems very underwhelming for how long it takes to grind 1 ascension point.

Also - maybe someone else already mentioned but: what happens to all the characters already capped. When you rollout ascension does everyone start with 0 no matter what level? If so, newly leveled characters will get a huge advantage over old characters. Might as well re-roll if you are thinking about it, would be more efficient way to gain ascension points with the new system.

Honestly not a huge fan of the tiny bonus you get for these very difficult to attain points. Could be strengthened a bit, ie. +2 bonus would be better.

As for capped hunting areas: It sounds like the new hunting areas you are planning are all ascension-focused. Meaning more difficult? Would be nice to add at least 1 moderate difficulty area, not only super difficult ones that only extreme-postcap characters can currently manage. Will ascension training help in these new areas? And if so how will characters hunt there effectively with 0 ascension points when you roll out the system?
Re: Ascension Update 06/19/2020 03:07 PM CDT
Various musings as they come to me: https://gswiki.play.net/Leafiara/Ascension_Considerations

Of course, this might totally blow up once the Elite tier is out, but hey. :D
Re: Ascension Update 06/19/2020 06:15 PM CDT
>When you rollout ascension does everyone start with 0 no matter what level?

Yes. Everyone starts at 0 ascension experience.

>If so, newly leveled characters will get a huge advantage over old characters. Might as well re-roll if you are thinking about it, would be more efficient way to gain ascension points with the new system.

At level 100 a player can devote 100% experience to ascension experience.
At level 50, at most a player can devote is 50% of experience gain to ascension experience.
At level 20 you just learn the ability to devote experience to ascension experience, but at most you can devote is 20%.

I fail to see how newly created characters would be more efficient at gaining ascension experience compared to capped characters.
Re: Ascension Update 06/20/2020 11:50 AM CDT
There's no way a new character has an advantage.

You still have to level that new character and as B pointed out you won't be devoting much experience towards ATPs. A capped character will earn far more ATP at a faster rate compared to any other character level 80 or lower.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

A squeaky halfling nearby asks, "Why you playing with orcs heads and troll rearends?!"

Re: Ascension Update 06/20/2020 01:13 PM CDT
I think it will be interesting to see how newly leveled and > 50 levels characters start taking this on.

For the recently capped, this might be a hard choice. There are still a great number of skills that while not 'core' would still be highly useful to get.

For the well-post capped crowd, most of that pursuit may already be done, so this gives an opportunity to pursue other brass rings.

The true test will be those who aren't capped (yet) - and how they start picking through activities to align with their vision of their characters.

Two thumbs up!

Doug
Re: Ascension Update 06/20/2020 03:00 PM CDT
>For the recently capped, this might be a hard choice. There are still a great number of skills that while not 'core' would still be highly useful to get.

Agreed, there's definitely going to be some interesting things going about. Perhaps a Silverwood Manor get-together about this system, how it interacts with normal exp/TP's, and how a character of just about any level can maximize what they want out of each (exp/ATP) system, while still getting what they want out of the other system(s).

As a 'recently' capped (aka, 8.5mil exp. currently), my paladin will probably go 50-50, at least until I get the rest of her core/wanted skills maxed out. Then, I'll probably move it up to 75ATP-25EXP, just so I have a few normal TP's to play with, while also going affter aTP's.

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Paragon of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: Ascension Update 06/21/2020 02:12 PM CDT

> we hope to introduce new post-capped hunting grounds that are significantly more difficult, but offer greater rewards for the effort (more Ascension experience and treasure) compared to existing options.
We've said a lot about the ascension training system but I also want to add that I'm super duper excited about this as well.

I wanna go hunting vathors! Or similar.
Re: Ascension Update 06/22/2020 09:24 AM CDT
I agree i think postcap skills are still more valuable than ascension from what I understand. +1 stat is such a tiny impact to me.

Skills still have much more bang for your buck in impacting what your character can do.
Re: Ascension Update 06/22/2020 09:31 AM CDT
>There's no way a new character has an advantage.

One interesting advantage new characters would have is that they can use ATPs to exceed their level throughout their progression. With max allocation to ATPs, starting at level 20, a newly capped character would reach 90 ATPs. That should make like-level hunting significantly easier for that character on the way to cap (though at the expense of taking 6% longer to cap).
Re: Ascension Update 06/22/2020 09:40 AM CDT
"With max allocation to ATPs, starting at level 20, a newly capped character would reach 90 ATPs. That should make like-level hunting significantly easier for that character on the way to cap (though at the expense of taking 6% longer to cap)." -- Greminty

I believe there to be a significant problem with your math, because a 99th level character using 'max allocation' would be putting 99% of experience gained into AXP, and before that would have been doing 98% at 98th, and so on down.
That sounds like WAY more than a mere 6% increase in time.

Had you figured it at "20% from 20th level on up", even that sounds a bit off. (Because the first 19 levels have such a puny experience requirement.)

Without doing any math whatsoever, I would believe "+60%" time as a possible ballpark figure, but I suspect it's even higher.

With that said, I think that there is a good possibility of Epic and Legendary Ascension options being... pretty tasty for such a character. :)
Re: Ascension Update 06/22/2020 09:42 AM CDT
"I agree i think postcap skills are still more valuable" -- MLowry02

One thing I have forgotten to inquire of the GMs:
Will ranks of these skills count in the manner of Enhancives, or will they count as actual ranks?

I am looking specifically at CMan points, Shield points, and Armor points, and the possibility to pick up additional features by use/spending of those points.
Re: Ascension Update 06/22/2020 09:55 AM CDT
>That sounds like WAY more than a mere 6% increase in time.

Sorry, you're right. I both misread my math (I had 60%, not 6%), and calculated it wrong as well. You'd need 4.5m extra experience (60% more) to cap if you don't account for the fact that you're diverting exp to ATPs, not just adding a percentage of it. As you point out, at level 99, if you have 99% allocated to ATPs, it's going to take 100x more experience to cap, which would be 11.25m experience alone just to get from 99 to 100, most of which would go to ATP's. So nevermind, my math is very wrong as you suspected.
Re: Ascension Update 06/22/2020 10:13 AM CDT
So, at max allocation every level, you'd actually get 891 ATPs at cap, taking 44.5m additional experience, which is almost 6x longer to cap.

Here's some data points in the table if anyone's interested:

LevelTotal ExpTotal ATP ExpATPs

So, at level 67, you'd have had enough experience to cap, but instead are level 67 with 69 ATPs. Probably not something most people would do. Though it does let you spend much more of your total play time in non-capped hunting areas, if you're an "it's all about the journey" type.
Re: Ascension Update 06/22/2020 10:28 AM CDT
That seems a lot more... I'm not going to say 'reasonable', because 44.5M is what I might call "one &%#@(*&@#ing long time" to spend, but hey, that really would be a pile of usable points.

"Probably not something most people would do. Though it does let you spend much more of your total play time in non-capped hunting areas, if you're an "it's all about the journey" type." -- Greminty

Or if there are hunting areas that you are just ALL about thrashing and showing the error of their ways.

Krakii was pretty much designed to take on Kral Warfarers. After she aged out of those, I was kind of at a loss.

The Bard had just stupid amounts of fun in the high 30s/mid 40s, dealing with swarms up in the Sheruvian Monastery. I would have loved to spend more time there, and diverting 30-40% of experience over to another goal would have extended that by a lot.
70%+ by the time he got up to Treekin in the Red Forest would have been good, too.
Re: Ascension Update 06/22/2020 11:49 AM CDT
44 million seems like a long time to cap. although in retrospect it might have been nice to spend a few more runs in lower level grounds before tens of thousands of hunts in OTF. Without a very specific goal of a legendary Ascension or some stat threshold I need to make, I'm not sure I would dedicate much time to ATP before cap on new characters.

Re: Ascension Update 06/22/2020 12:05 PM CDT
"Without a very specific goal of a legendary Ascension" -- Menos

Elite: Lucky Caster (you roll 1 +d99, so no more 'FUMBLE' casts)
and
Legendary: Double Cast (every 30s, a single-target spell gets cast twice for no +mana and no +RT)

I can see this being VERY powerful for warding casters, from pretty much "whatever level they get it at" onwards.

Now if I can just finish up my T5 Sigil Staff, and get the double-cast flare from that too....
Re: Ascension Update 06/22/2020 01:04 PM CDT
>Perhaps a Silverwood Manor get-together about this system, how it interacts with normal exp/TP's, and how a character of just about any level can maximize what they want out of each (exp/ATP) system, while still getting what they want out of the other system(s).

Coming soon:

Join Lorekeeper Leafiara at Silverwood Manor for the All-Day Ascension Extravanganza! Bring that coffee and sugar since we're running ten hours long from 2:00 to midnight! Periodic capped bandit hunts mid-event so you can earn ATPs while you learn ATPs! The thrill! The excitement! The live calculations and spreadsheet creation!

(Not actually an event that's happening.)
Re: Ascension Update 06/22/2020 01:27 PM CDT
Krakii, no doubt there are many powerful abilities being suggested. I just meant it would have to be something very Central to my view of that character, otherwise I would just wait until post Cap for the big push.

Re: Ascension Update 06/22/2020 01:29 PM CDT
The other one that I saw that really appealed was "being able to keep 2 Martial Stances running," because I know there are times I would like that. :)
Re: Ascension Update 06/22/2020 01:55 PM CDT
Wonder what the breakeven for using ATPs to boost logic would be...

You'd need 15 ATPs (750k exp) to get to logic + 10, which would give you +1 exp/pulse in town. Let's call that an average of say 3% increase on all the rest of your experience after that point. So, it would take you 25m more experience to justify that investment. Not great. That's worst case though; if you're closer to the threshold, you might only need 5 ATPs, say, so it'd only take ~8m more experience to pay it off...
Re: Ascension Update 06/22/2020 01:58 PM CDT
>Wonder what the breakeven for using ATPs to boost logic would be...

https://gswiki.play.net/Leafiara/Ascension_Considerations#Taking_Logic_First_to_Make_Everything_Else_Faster
Re: Ascension Update 06/22/2020 02:00 PM CDT
So, "as much experience again, as to cap in the first place."

But everything after that is pure gravy! :)

<flee!>
Re: Ascension Update 06/22/2020 10:48 PM CDT
I would not allow access to Ascension at all until at least 15M experience in normal training. Too many capped bots are now being created just to resell for multi-accounting efficiency. The new "harder" hunting grounds will not be a challenge to multi-accounting swarm teams. How do you intend to create fairness and balance in those areas?

Tarakan
Re: Ascension Update 06/23/2020 11:23 AM CDT
I tend to agree with not allowing access to Ascension until at least cap. I do find it weird that this system is supposedly to breathe some life into the grind that is the post-cap game, but that we will have access to it at level 20. It potentially creates a whole new game pre-cap, which seems interesting in theory.

Where I think it breaks down is the fact that our player base tends to exploit every system that exists in unintended ways. So do you want to deal with those situations for every character/creature/hunting ground from 20-cap? I think just managing this at cap will be a pretty substantial endeavor, especially if the plan is to add new Ascension specific hunting grounds.
Re: Ascension Update 06/23/2020 10:11 PM CDT

Sounds like with the milestones the system might allow for retroactive atps for characters with a lot of cap/post-cap exp and training even before investing directly into the pool?
Re: Ascension Update 06/25/2020 10:58 PM CDT
Any chance we can have either a fixskill reset or a temporary period of fast skill migration when ascension is released? :D

(Talking about traditional skills, not ascension ones, since many will want to tweak things around as things like lore thresholds change, and how much tweaking depends on how many milestone ATPs there are, etc.)

https://gswiki.play.net/Leafiara