Artisan Skill Update 12/10/2020 06:59 AM CST
Hey all,

We've made some minor changes to fletching and forging. Both systems will now use (LOGIC BONUS / 3) as a boost to gaining a rank. Previously, fletching was using Wisdom, and only one forging skill was using Logic. These have now all been put in sync and should help with those last few painful ranks. In addition, forging has had roundtime reductions across the board:

Glyph (staring): 30s => 5s
Grinder: 105s => 30s
Polisher: 80s => 30s
Vise: 70s => 30s
Bucket (in forge): 10s => 5s
Forge: 180s + 60s per material difficulty (up to 420s) => 60s + 20s per material difficulty (up to 105s)

Thanks to Viduus for the quick QC.

- Naijin
Re: Artisan Skill Update 12/10/2020 10:04 AM CST
<Vise: 70s => 30s>

Dernit! Now I have to make twice as many pieces before burning a gift... and even with all my containers max deepened I'm not sure where I'll stash them all without completed blades getting in the way of blades/hilts.... (half tongue in cheek, half serious)

<Forge: 180s + 60s per material difficulty (up to 420s) => 60s + 20s per material difficulty (up to 105s)>

I'm not sure how I feel about this, tbh.... with the cost of slabs/oils remaining the same I have a hard time seeing this as a boon.

What makes forging worth doing is that perfects can be sold at a premium, because the AvD bonus can't be obtained any other way and there aren't many of them being produced. Even then, the enchanting changes have made it harder to sell any perfect not made out of a 4x metal without a commission for them (since few wizards will do below 4x enchants at a reasonable cost any more, for good reason).

Making it possible to churn out perfects faster and encouraging more people to work the forge without and reducing the cost of materials will only make it harder to sell the end product at a profit. I don't really care if my perfects fetch 100k each or 1mil each as long as I'm able to make a reasonable profit, but material costs mean I can't really reduce my prices much below what they are now before reaching the break-even point...

Oh, and vaalorn, eonake, rolaren, and vultite all previously had forging RTs above 420s.... does this mean they now have RTs above 105s now?

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Artisan Skill Update 12/10/2020 10:11 AM CST
Thank you for these wonderful changes!!!

- EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Artisan Skill Update 12/10/2020 10:49 AM CST
> Oh, and vaalorn, eonake, rolaren, and vultite all previously had forging RTs above 420s.... does this mean they now have RTs above 105s now?

Up to 420s was specifically for the metal modifier. The maximum possible time before was 600 seconds (10 minutes).
Re: Artisan Skill Update 12/10/2020 11:52 AM CST
Thank you for these updates. Players have long asked for the time consuming aspect of artisan skills be looked at.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

A squeaky halfling nearby asks, "Why you playing with orcs heads and troll rearends?!"

Re: Artisan Skill Update 12/10/2020 12:42 PM CST
NICE. Having forging roundtime reduced is huge, so thank you!

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Paragon of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: Artisan Skill Update 12/10/2020 01:37 PM CST
The enchanting change to use experience vs kills combined with this huge reduction in Forging RT makes for a happy forge wizard (and a less grumpy me about the overall enchanting changes). Thank you.

- Andreas
Re: Artisan Skill Update 12/10/2020 06:07 PM CST

Vultite round time went from 540s to 180s.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Artisan Skill Update 12/10/2020 10:04 PM CST
Now, something just needs to be done about the ridiculous number of hammer sessions some weapons require, especially since most weapons that require those 5/6/7 hammer sessions to hammer out a piece are inferior to the more sought after weapons (mauls and lances).

It's awesome the RTs have been reduced on the metals, but if for some reason someone really wants a flamberge - that's 7 hammer sessions. If someone wanted a mattock, that's only 3 hammer session. The mattock is only slightly inferior to a flamberge on cloth through rigid leather....

There needs to be some kind of bump to weapons that require ridiculous amount of hammer sessions to make them more sought after or a few of these weapons need 2/3/4 hammer sessions removed from the process to make folks want to even look at crafting them. Even if RT for hammering out a vultite flamberge blade drops to 180s per hammer session, that's still 21 minutes per blade. A mattock only requires 3 hammer sessions, which means 9 minutes per head piece. Flamberge = 3 blades per hour. Mattock = 6.67 heads per hour.

Thank you for the RT changes though, much appreciated. I'm sure I'll be wasting more of my life in the forge now.
Re: Artisan Skill Update 12/10/2020 11:01 PM CST
Unless there was a corresponding change in difficulty, my guess is perfect weapons will be very cheap by the end of 2021.
Re: Artisan Skill Update 12/11/2020 04:47 AM CST
<Unless there was a corresponding change in difficulty, my guess is perfect weapons will be very cheap by the end of 2021.>

There will be a short term dip for sure in a month or two when the people this change attracts to forging finally Master a weapon type. However, unless they bump up how much the pawn will pay for superior quality and lower weapons or reduce the cost of slabs/oils, the cost of perfects can't really go down much from what they currently are before reaching the point where most can make more hunting. You might be able to buy prefect steel weapons cheap in the near future, but once you factor in enchanting costs you won't really be saving silver at all... if you can find any to begin with (wizards stopped buying them to enchant them up so they aren't being made like they used to be)

Smart blacksmiths will stick to their current prices and wait for the market to level out as new-comers decide they aren't making enough silver for it to be worth it.... esp if they have player shops. Depending on how many stick with it, prices might be down a bit for perfects a year from now, but they still won't be cheap.

My previous post was a bit hasty, I was still in the just-read-it panic mode.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Artisan Skill Update - RT issues 12/11/2020 10:22 AM CST
Razern is taking 100 seconds per hammer session for me.

The final hammer round gives me a RT of 100 seconds, however, after about 40 seconds I finish the blade and then I'm stuck in RT for roughly 60 seconds..... I'm not sure if the issue applied to the other hammer sessions rounds, I didn't bother checking. Just waited for 100 seconds and then kept going.

Is this intended?

There isn't some bug in achieving best pieces, is there? I'd hate to have gone through 120 pounds of razern and things are bugged.
Re: Artisan Skill Update - RT issues 12/11/2020 10:34 AM CST
Every hammer session with razern i get 100 seconds of RT, but the actual time spent hammering is only about 40 seconds..... then I stand around for 60 seconds, stuck in RT doing nothing.
Re: Artisan Skill Update - RT issues 12/11/2020 12:28 PM CST
<The final hammer round gives me a RT of 100 seconds, however, after about 40 seconds I finish the blade and then I'm stuck in RT for roughly 60 seconds..... I'm not sure if the issue applied to the other hammer sessions rounds, I didn't bother checking.>

There's been a bug for at least a couple years with the RT and hammering messaging not matching up, seems to have gotten worse with the reduction in RT if your desc is accurate.

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Artisan Skill Update 12/12/2020 12:29 AM CST
Great improvements. Thank you!
Re: Artisan Skill Update - RT issues 12/12/2020 07:44 AM CST
> There's been a bug for at least a couple years with the RT and hammering messaging not matching up, seems to have gotten worse with the reduction in RT if your desc is accurate.

That's not technically a bug, it's just how the system was built. Unfortunately, it's not easy to change or I would have done it when I was making the roundtime updates.
Re: Artisan Skill Update 12/13/2020 07:57 PM CST
<Forge: 180s + 60s per material difficulty (up to 420s) => 60s + 20s per material difficulty (up to 105s)>

The RT for the forge doesn't appear to be capped at 165s as the formula above states. Was testing various metals in the forge to make sure the RT's I calculated were accurate before updating the wiki and got 180s RT with vultite, which is only accurate with a material difficulty cap of 120s or higher. Is the material difficulty uncapped or just higher then was reported?

Going off what RTs were previously, 105 seemed awfully arbitrary... I would have thought it would go up to at least 140 to account for eonake, which I would guess it actually does but don't have a slab to test with....

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Artisan Skill Update 12/14/2020 09:01 AM CST
> The RT for the forge doesn't appear to be capped at 165s as the formula above states

Gah, sorry. The update should have read "60s + 20s per material difficulty (up to 140s). There are 7 levels of difficulty (7 * 20 = 140, 7 * 15 = 105), so that's where the "up to" comes from. I was previously testing with 15s / material, and I guess I didn't update my notes.
Re: Artisan Skill Update 12/14/2020 10:35 AM CST
No problem, mostly wanted to make sure everything was working as intended before editing the wiki.

Starchitin, the OG