New forger 10/15/2020 10:28 AM CDT
ok so i am working in the forge trying to learn two handed weapons. I'm finally at a place where I'm not consistently having major failures and making "something" .... well though it can't be a perfect because i am not a master I finally see this:

"You pause and lift the still glowing bronze staff-cap from the anvil. A moment of close inspection is all you need to tell that you have done your best work this time. You smile as you plunge the hot staff-cap into the tempering trough. "

and of course i was happy to see that.... but then i see this and i am not sure i have ever seen this before.....

"With a satisfying * HISSSSSSSSSSS * the searing heat from the staff-cap transforms the trough's contents into a column of vapor! At the rising vapor's first touch, the crystal's dim, reddish glow bleeds downward through the steam and into the staff-cap.

In less than a heartbeat, the crystal has been drained to lifeless darkness, the steam has swept upward and faded from view, and only the dim, reddish aura seeping into the bronze staff-cap gives any evidence that arcane power has been harnessed by a weaponcrafter's skill."

The hiss part i understand but i don't know i have even seen the second messaging...... does that mean anything or is that just the messaging that accompanies a "best piece"
Re: New forger 10/15/2020 10:49 AM CDT
I'm not sure exactly what that messaging means.... I used to think it was just for enchanted metals til I got a commission for a steel weapon and saw it there too. I've also seen it with pieces that were not my "best"...

As an aside, I wouldn't bother trying to make anything into weapons... just hammer it out with bronze until you master. You might be able to sell some of your unfinished blades to the pawn to recoup a bit of your silver, but it'll take so much longer to master if you make hilts and combine them to every blade you finish (since you don't get ranks for that).

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: New forger 10/15/2020 12:10 PM CDT
ok thanks for the info and the advice! I thought i had made some sort of magical piece ... or maybe it had flaring attributes .....
Re: New forger 10/15/2020 03:11 PM CDT
Aside from the AvD bonus for making a perfect/superior/etc weapon, the only properties a forged weapon will have are those inherent to the metal that's used to make the blade/head/etc. So if you forge with vultite you'll get 4x weapons, rhimar will make weapons that are 1x with cold flares, etc. Bronze will actually result in a weapon with a negative enchant (-5) but is the cheapest to use and only requires water to temper, which makes it the best for gaining ranks til you master the skill.

The reason perfects are sought after is cause that AvD bonus can't be gotten any way other then forging (making them ideal project pieces for the DR crowd) and few have the patience to either Master the skill or make weapons regularly... from what I've been able to gather, there's only maybe 2-3 active blacksmiths in the lands at any given period with a few others that will pick up a hammer if they have a personal project or someone commissions them to make a piece.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: New forger 10/16/2020 05:31 PM CDT

>>there's only maybe 2-3 active blacksmiths in the lands at any given peri

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: New forger 10/24/2020 07:25 AM CDT

active blacksmith here

making mauls,spikestars,longswords lately

~Khazaann~
7 perfects and counting