Forging RTs not in sync 09/24/2019 11:11 AM CDT
It shouldn't, but it does - it bothers me. This same thing happens every now and then (I notice it maybe every couple of months and it seems to last a week or so, then everything goes back to normal).

This current run has been happening for me over the past 3 days that I've been spending time in the forge. Last week I didn't have any issues, maybe a couple of seconds here and there, but the past few days the RTs have been way out of sync for hammering slabs.

I worked on hammering out some spikestar heads last week - RTs were pretty good. You generally end a hammer session within a couple of seconds of the RT ending.

This week the RTs have been off by a lot more. It doesn't appear to be a specific type of metal and it doesn't appear to be tied to the weapon being worked on, since it's still spikestars off the same glyph I was using last week, plus I get the same results from a dagger glyph. Any metal that I've used, it seems that every 60 seconds it requires you to be in a hammer session, the actions of your hammering finish 4 seconds early.

Take faenor - 240 seconds a hammer session.
That's 4 minutes.
I finish the hammering with 12-13 seconds left of hard RT.

Drakar/rhimar/zorchar/gornar - 240 seconds a hammer session.
That's 4 minutes.
I finish the hammering with 12-13 seconds left of hard RT.

Kelyn - 420 seconds a hammer session.
That's 7 minutes.
I finish the hammering with 27-28 seconds left of hard RT.

I thought maybe the Haste spell (535) might have some hidden impact on the RT so I STOPped the spell, but I'm still getting the same hard RTs.
I just stand there and stare at the RT timer tick down until I can do another action, as you can see from the table below.

spikestar
(240 seconds for hammer session)
You finish this round of work on your faenor slab and set the tongs on the anvil, realizing that there's more work to be done before the faenor slab will resemble its intended form.
>jump
...wait 13 seconds.
spikestar
(240 seconds for hammer session)
You finish this round of work on your drakar slab and set the tongs on the anvil, realizing that there's more work to be done before the drakar slab will resemble its intended form.
>jump
...wait 13 seconds.
spikestar
(420 second for hammer session)
With a satisfying * HISSSSSSSSSSS * the searing heat from the spikestar-head transforms the trough's contents into a column of vapor! At the rising vapor's first touch, the crystal's purple glow bleeds downward through the steam and into the spikestar-head.
In less than a heartbeat, the crystal has been drained to lifeless darkness, the steam has swept upward and faded from view, and only the purple aura seeping into the kelyn spikestar-head gives any evidence that arcane power has been harnessed by a weaponcrafter's skill.
>jump
...wait 28 seconds.
dagger
(240 second for hammer session)
You finish this round of work on your faenor slab and set the tongs on the anvil, realizing that there's more work to be done before the faenor slab will resemble its intended form.
>jump
...wait 13 seconds.

Like I said, it shouldn't bother me, but it does because things are out of sync.
Re: Forging RTs not in sync 09/24/2019 12:55 PM CDT
It's not just the RTs for forging that are out of sync, the workbenches also aren't giving a full hour all the time either. I started noticing yesterday that sometimes I'll run out of time after just two invar morningstar heads (33 minutes including tracing the pattern) while most of the time I'll run out of time just shy of my final round on the 4th head as I should.

At first I thought it was just me being confused cause there's no hourglass in the room with the forge, but started keeping track of the time more carefully and confirmed it. This is in the RR workshops, and I first noticed it at about the same time the RT and message for finishing the round started drifting apart, btw

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Forging RTs not in sync 09/24/2019 01:21 PM CDT
Is it just me, or should "two head at 33 minutes" correctly run out of an hour timer and not be such a surprise?
(Unless that was supposed to be a "13 minutes", in which case, yeah, that's a problem.)
Re: Forging RTs not in sync 09/24/2019 01:29 PM CDT
<Is it just me, or should "two head at 33 minutes" correctly run out of an hour timer and not be such a surprise?>

Invar takes 4 rounds of 4 minutes to make 1 morning star head and 30 sec to trace the pattern onto the slab before forging it: 4x4+.5=16.5

So forging 2 of them will take 33 minutes 16.5*2=33

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Forging RTs not in sync 09/24/2019 01:57 PM CDT
>It's not just the RTs for forging that are out of sync, the workbenches also aren't giving a full hour all the time either. I started noticing yesterday that sometimes I'll run out of time after just two invar morningstar heads (33 minutes including tracing the pattern) while most of the time I'll run out of time just shy of my final round on the 4th head as I should.

I can't say I've noticed anything about rental time - I'm usually working the forge while I'm busy with things at work and time just flies by so I don't second guess workshop rental time. Perhaps I'll have to take note next time I start a rental and see if anything is wonky there.

>Invar takes 4 rounds of 4 minutes to make 1 morning star head and 30 sec to trace the pattern onto the slab before forging it: 4x4+.5=16.5
>So forging 2 of them will take 33 minutes 16.5*2=33

What I tend to do is I'll get a handful of heavy slabs and make all the cuts I need and trace out the glyphs.
I've been doing spikestars lately, depending on the metal they're 4 or 5lb slabs.
I tend to hold as many of the cutup slabs as I can in my backpack, then go through marking them with the glyph pattern. Once that's done, I go through and I hammer on each piece for all but the last session needed to finish the head/blade.

Spikestars take 3 hammer sessions to complete. So I end up hammering on each slab for 2 sessions, then I stick that hammered slab into another container - I do this and go through 15-20 slabs over the course of 2-3 hours. Then I check to see how many slabs I have, how long each metal takes to work and I purchase enough oils for the next hour rental and I go through and just hammer out each slab one time and just mow through heads/blades in that rental period. Sometimes I get a few best pieces, other times I don't get any. Yesterday I ended up with 3 best pieces out of 16. Today, I had 0 best pieces out of 13, but I still have 6 more to hammer out next time I rent a workshop.

I guess I do it this way to feel like I'm more productive. If I straight up just took a slab and worked it to completion I'd only get 4-5 done in a work period...it just feels painfully slow that way.
Re: Forging RTs not in sync 09/24/2019 02:15 PM CDT
<I tend to hold as many of the cutup slabs as I can in my backpack,>

I used to do this, but encumbrance affects forging success and I SEEM to get more best pieces when I keep it down.

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Forging RTs not in sync 09/24/2019 03:14 PM CDT
>I used to do this, but encumbrance affects forging success and I SEEM to get more best pieces when I keep it down.

That's just an old wives' tale - kind of like how folks say foraging in offensive yields best results, but stance doesn't play a role.

Wounds and loss of HP can hinder your chances, but not encumbrance. At least that's what Mikos provided for information on the chance of success on forging back in 2017 which you can find here: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Old%20Forum%20Topics%20%5BRead%20Only%5D/Forging/view/669

Took me a minute to track it down, but there you goes. All the Negative and Positive impacts on forging.
Re: Forging RTs not in sync 09/26/2019 09:12 AM CDT
Curious if there's any reason behind this? It's been going for almost a week now and it's still bugging me.

Then it leads me to wonder if there are other systems in the game that are lagging.....I can't say I've noticed anything, but I don't make use of all things in the game. I don't cobble or make use of fletching nor handle things in alchemy guild work anymore or other guild work.
Re: Forging RTs not in sync 09/26/2019 03:33 PM CDT
I just ran out of time in the forge 15 minutes after entering it, so that hasn't been addressed either. Would be nice to at least get an acknowledgement of this thread.... going to bug it again.

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Forging RTs not in sync 09/27/2019 09:44 AM CDT
>I just ran out of time in the forge 15 minutes after entering it, so that hasn't been addressed either. Would be nice to at least get an acknowledgement of this thread.... going to bug it again.
>Starchitin, the OG

I haven't noticed any issues for time with rental duration. I decided to keep track this morning:

1st rental at 7:15am - tongs wouldn't budge after 8:17am when I tried to continue my work
2nd rental at 8:19am - tongs wouldn't budge after 9:20am when I tried to continue my work

So far things seem to be fine on that aspect for me. I'm using Landing forge workshops, if that matters.

Only issue for me that is still around as of right now is the RT still not syncing. It's stupid to stand there for upwards of 30 seconds after the actions for hammering are finished and you've set the tongs back on the anvil....it doesn't take me 12-30 seconds to set the tongs down and then stand there before I finally go - oh yeah, dummy, get the tongs again so you can continue your work.
Re: Forging RTs not in sync 09/30/2019 10:14 AM CDT
Seems OM1E5GA and myself are either the only ones impacted by goofy RT issues in the forge OR we're the only two that have made comment on it on the official forums OR very few folks frequent the forums anymore to seem like an impactful place to post things about an issue.

I saw OM1E5GA asked on Discord about the RT issue for rentals having issues
Curious MysticBOTLast Thursday at 3:31 PM
@Starchitin [#mechanics]: just ran out of time in the forge after approx 15 minutes and have had it happen multiple times this week. could someone look into this?

- but I have yet to see any kind of response there or even here....doesn't have to be a "We're working hard on a fix" - just a "We heard you and are looking into it".

I don't frequent discord, I actually really dislike it, and I find a lot of questions asked on the forums, someone that's is not a GM or with SIMU will copy a reply off discord that answers the same question there, but it never gets answered official here.

Come back to using the forums as the official place to find info. Yes, I know they're ancient and hard to use, but why call them official if staff doesn't "officially" answer things here or post all game info/updates/issues here? If that's going to continue to be the case, just call them the "Gemstone IV forums that are sometimes visited by official Simu staff and they may or may not ever respond or use the forums for official information."

Yes, I'm bitter. Sure, this RT issue isn't a big deal for many folks since most avoid the forage (I don't blame them at times forge work can drive me nuts), but it does impact a few people and it seems to be across a couple of aspects of the forging system. So, any answer is better than silence.
Re: Forging RTs not in sync 10/04/2019 07:27 AM CDT
Just posting - still an issue and has been for the past 2 weeks.

Vaalorn is being used this time around
480 seconds per hammer session
32-33 seconds of standing there after I finish this round of work - not doing a damn thing because the RT sync is way off.

You finish this round of work on your vaalorn slab and set the tongs on the anvil, realizing that there's more work to be done before the vaalorn slab will resemble its intended form.
>jump
...wait 33 seconds.

Re: Forging RTs not in sync 11/07/2019 02:10 AM CST
Sorry guys, staying up on forum posts has taken a back seat to my team priorities and EG since the middle of August or so. I'll take a look at the forging system scripts related to the RT. I haven't heard of any recent changes in the system, but then it's not my purview, so... I suspect it's a long-standing inaccuracy in the cumulative RT assessment.

I'll post here once I've taken a look.

- Mikos
Re: Forging RTs not in sync 11/07/2019 02:19 PM CST
>I'll post here once I've taken a look.
>- Mikos

Thank you.

I haven't done anything in the forge for the past 3 weeks now, so I'm not sure off hand if things are still out of sync or not. I know the issue was persistent over a solid 4-6 weeks But thanks for taking the time to check it out.
Re: Forging RTs not in sync 11/07/2019 04:55 PM CST

The synchronization is different for sure.

Clunk regularly is still in RT after completing a 'get tong' sequence.

He used to have more than enough time to shout out 'Sparks to Slab!' while raising a completed slab towards the crystal, before the final messaging that shows whether he has a regular or best piece.

Now all he can do is wait (Maybe 10 seconds or so for mithril) after the slab is completed to take any actions.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Forging RTs not in sync 11/07/2019 09:27 PM CST
<Now all he can do is wait (Maybe 10 seconds or so for mithril) after the slab is completed to take any actions.>

I've been forging with vaalorn lately and it's def more then 10 seconds between the message about the quality of the piece and RT running out with that metal. I haven't bothered keeping track, but I'd say closer to 20 sec.

Starchitin, the OG

Re: Forging RTs not in sync 11/08/2019 07:59 AM CST
>I've been forging with vaalorn lately and it's def more then 10 seconds between the message about the quality of the piece and RT running out with that metal. I haven't bothered keeping track, but I'd say closer to 20 sec.

Best guess I have is that ever 60 seconds you spend on a 'get tong' session, the RT will be off by roughly 4 seconds.

For example: If every 'get tong' takes 360 seconds.....that's 6 minutes, so you'll be stuck in RT after you finish your 'get tong' for about 24 seconds.

Mithril takes 4 minutes, so you're stuck in RT for about 12 seconds.
Vaalorn takes 8 minutes, so you're stuck in RT for about 32 seconds.
Gornar/Drakar/Zorchar/Rhimar takes 4 minutes, so you're stuck in RT for about 12 seconds.
Kelyn takes 7 minutes, so you're stuck in RT for about 28 seconds.
Faenor takes 4 minutes, so you're stuck in RT for about 12 seconds.
(these are all the different metals I've worked with since the out of sync issue became a constant in the forge)
Re: Forging RTs not in sync 02/06/2020 12:55 PM CST
First what it's worth....it sync is still happening. Clearly it's not game breaking, just annoying.
Re: Forging RTs not in sync 02/18/2020 09:24 PM CST

Whats more annoying is the polisher, which is out of sync the other way. The hard RT ends before you're done, and if you do something before you're done, you have to start the polish again.
Re: Forging RTs not in sync 02/18/2020 11:09 PM CST
>Whats more annoying is the polisher, which is out of sync the other way. The hard RT ends before you're done, and if you do something before you're done, you have to start the polish again.

Yeah, that one has always been a bit iffy - sometimes the RT ends before you finish polishing and sometimes the action ends a few seconds before the RT is up.

It would be nice if everything was in sync.