Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/25/2019 10:42 PM CDT
In the interest of defining potential inventory for a future merchant shop, would those who have invested time in forging be willing to provide a list of alternative-named weapon glyphs they might be interested in?

This assumes that there is an interest in being able to forge an existing weapon base but with the resulting weapon being one of the currently approved alternate names, rather than those nouns/glyphs readily available in the existing forging supply shops. This is not a solicitation for new weapon names or nouns.

Also, listing weapon bases (such as sais, mauls, or lances) for which glyphs are not currently available need not be included, since interest in those being provided in a shop is already recognized based on previous posts in this category.

Thanks,
Mikos
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/25/2019 11:08 PM CDT
>> In the interest of defining potential inventory for a future merchant shop, would those who have invested time in forging be willing to provide a list of alternative-named weapon glyphs they might be interested in?

Bastard sword

-- Robert

Wex winks before saying, "Cravin' some winterberry ale? Head on over to White Haven!"
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/25/2019 11:32 PM CDT
stiletto, parazonium, machete, badelaire, tomahawk

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/26/2019 12:56 AM CDT
battle axe
battlesword
beheading sword
kunai
no-dachi
skull-crusher
sledgehammer
talon sword
wakizashi
waraxe
warblade
warlance

https://gswiki.play.net/Leafiara
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/26/2019 08:15 AM CDT

Seconded on kunai,
hand-and-a-half sword
no dachi
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/26/2019 08:54 PM CDT
My vote is for khopesh. Wicked looking weapons in the hands of Dothraki, and with mounts coming...
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/26/2019 09:02 PM CDT
Wakizashi
Tanto
Two Handed Sword (Wishing this could get added. I get katanas and claidhs won't but hoping this can be considered at least)
Bastard Sword
Cresset Sword
Espadon
Scimitar
Kaskara

Wish list that probably won't happen
Katana
Claidhmore

Wish List that might Happen
The armor glyphs idea
Thrown Weapons glyphs
Maybe Maybe... Ranged Weapon glyphs since I don't think bowmen/bow women can craft their own bow yet. You can make an argument for bows being made out of some metals.

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/27/2019 09:08 AM CDT

Just to start out with some that come to mind:

magari-yari
wakizashi
ono
nagimaki

Those are some right off the top of my head.
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/27/2019 10:18 AM CDT

mace
morning star
lance

Cryheart
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/27/2019 10:57 AM CDT

clunker

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/27/2019 04:46 PM CDT

i dunno, all of them? or change glyphs in general so you can just RUB them or something and cycle through at least all the approved mass release nouns.
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/27/2019 09:21 PM CDT
I'm all for:

reaver
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/28/2019 08:32 AM CDT
Rub or turn was my thought, too; that way you just have to keep the list updated in one place, and all glyphs everywhere work to create all of the weapon-names.
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/28/2019 02:18 PM CDT
Not to dismiss a worthwhile suggestion, unfortunately the goal of my post was simply to define "potential inventory for a future merchant shop" and not to define "a significant improvement to the forging glyphs overall."

Notably, the approval I have received does not extend to - and the time I have at my disposal is significantly less than - that needed to make ~360 various names accessible via the glyphs for the 60+ base weapon profiles (along with incorporating the various limitations which can impinge on the accessibility of some of those names - such as racially-specific names).

There are a number of improvements that could potentially be made to the glyphs and the forging system at large, but this request is much smaller in scope than any of those for a number of reasons, not least of which is that my current goal is simply to define potential inventory for a forging-related shop.

Thanks,
- Mikos
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/28/2019 02:26 PM CDT
My suggestion for shop inventory, then, would be:
- sell off-the-rack the biggest most-number-of-uses glyphs possible, so that people get some salable items out of their purchase, and
- Raffle and/or Auction some permanent ones.
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/29/2019 01:25 AM CDT
FANG! Let me make a fang (approved name for a mace)

Runners up include:
Sledgehammer
Tetsubo
Waraxe
meat cleaver
Talon Sword
bracelet dagger
machete

That covers your request.

Now here's an idea to put in your pocket for another time:

Forging Aprons that you can attach glyphs to. Instead of having to carry multiple 5 pound glyphs around, sell a forging apron that you can transfer glyph charges to. Have it unlockable, so it starts with maybe 4 glyphs (2 heads and 2 hafts or whatever) but can be unlocked to hold more. Sell an auction quality one that comes with an unlimited version of every glyph sold in the regular shops. Allow the apron to absorb thousands of charges. You still have to buy the glyphs, but you don't have to worry about storage or carrying them around. This would just be quality of life stuff, no real mechanical advantage. Make them attune like forging hammers if that helps with the approval process.

+1 on raffling unlimited glyphs.
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/29/2019 02:02 AM CDT
<Forging Aprons that you can attach glyphs to. Instead of having to carry multiple 5 pound glyphs around, sell a forging apron that you can transfer glyph charges to. Have it unlockable, so it starts with maybe 4 glyphs (2 heads and 2 hafts or whatever) but can be unlocked to hold more. Sell an auction quality one that comes with an unlimited version of every glyph sold in the regular shops. Allow the apron to absorb thousands of charges. You still have to buy the glyphs, but you don't have to worry about storage or carrying them around. This would just be quality of life stuff, no real mechanical advantage. Make them attune like forging hammers if that helps with the approval process.>

Make it so.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/29/2019 08:32 AM CDT
I refuse to do Forging, but that is an awesome idea. :)
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/29/2019 05:25 PM CDT
> Forging Aprons that you can attach glyphs to...sell a forging apron that you can transfer glyph charges to.

I'd started checking out pattern books to see if they lent themselves to a glyph-storage approach, and forging aprons are embarrassingly bare bones as far as utilizing their structure for some type of beneficial data storage. This idea addresses both issues at the same time.

So, my initial reaction (without having done any significant investigation or authorization requests) is that this looks like a natural.

I'm not making any guarantees (of course), but thank you for the suggestion!

- Mikos

P.S. Thanks for the alternative named glyph suggestions also, since the shop inventory is the more immediate concern.
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/29/2019 05:41 PM CDT

> Forging Aprons that you can attach glyphs to...sell a forging apron that you can transfer glyph charges to.

>I'd started checking out pattern books to see if they lent themselves to a glyph-storage approach, and forging aprons are embarrassingly bare bones as far as utilizing their structure for some type of beneficial data storage. This idea addresses both issues at the same time.

>So, my initial reaction (without having done any significant investigation or authorization requests) is that this looks like a natural.

>I'm not making any guarantees (of course), but thank you for the suggestion!

>- Mikos

Oh man, that's an exciting idea. It would totally change Clunk's approach to forging.
His forging satchel would no longer be a glyph holder, but could hold forging outfit and oils and slabs for his current project.

Yay! Phang!
+1 to forging aprons.

Clunk

Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/29/2019 05:49 PM CDT

Here's a new suggestion.

Is it possible to allow examine of a scribed piece, or examine of a created piece tell which specific glyph it was made from, as well as which specific glyph is the matching glyph that needs to be used to complete the forging of a weapon?

I have a few superior pieces sitting in my locker that I've not been able to complete because I can't figure out what the corresponding piece is.

Clunk

Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/30/2019 08:25 AM CDT
how about "a hand-and-a-half sword"?

I think this meets 15/15/15, for example:

"a vultite hand-and-a-half sword"

/a vultite/hand-and-a-half/sword

noun is "sword", adjective "hand-and-a-half"

/LizardClan/
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 05/31/2019 09:07 AM CDT

CARPS TONGUE
Re: Gauging interest in alternately named glyphs 06/08/2019 04:45 PM CDT
tanto
tachi