Orb Gems 12/10/2018 11:12 PM CST
Is there a list posted somewhere of Gems that are able to be turned into Orb gems?

Thanks
Re: Orb Gems 12/10/2018 11:29 PM CST
Not that I know of, but some are:

* All types of pearls
* Uncut diamonds/emeralds/rubies/star-of-Tamzyrr-diamonds/sunstones
* Blue/pink/deep blue mermaid's-tear sapphires
* Black/blue sky opals
* White-point star diamonds
* Fossilized bessho lizard spurs
* Kezmonian honey beryls
* Selanthan bloodjewels
* Faceted blood red sandrubies
* Shadow amethysts
* Black-cored emerald orbs
* Phoen's eye topazes
* Cloudy alexandrite shards

I think pretty much any high end gem can too, but I don't play in the EN or Rift long enough to be sure. Things like dragonseye sapphires, sylvarraend rubies, etc.

https://gswiki.play.net/Leafiara
Re: Orb Gems 12/11/2018 08:54 AM CST
I don't believe a solid list has ever been documented publicly, but if it were, the number of mid-to-high value gems that can be purified into orb status would be far longer than the list that can't.

Tiny pearls, for example, are always orb gems on being found and thus cannot be purified further; they aren't terribly valuable though.
Re: Orb Gems 12/11/2018 09:03 AM CST
The issue with cheap gems is getting them to not blow up, given the number of Purifications/1004 that it may take to orb them.

Compare/contrast with uncuts (diamonds & emeralds) that frequently go orb on the first cast. <shrug>
Re: Orb Gems 12/11/2018 09:08 AM CST
The list of gem types that cannot be orbed is far shorter than the list that can. The list that is worthwhile is pretty well represented in the list above.

Doug
Re: Orb Gems 12/11/2018 02:46 PM CST
Star Rubies can be found as orbs. But I have yet to see one become an orb through purification. And I went through a bag of 50 not-orb ones earlier this year with someone. After the first dozen ... I was bound and determined SOMETHING had to orb, and I finished off the bag of them. They were worth more when I was done, but

... nothing ever became an orb.

So there's your star ruby report.

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
Re: Orb Gems 12/11/2018 02:52 PM CST
I want to say I've seen one... but I may be mixing "star sapphires" in with that anecdotal recollection.

IF they happen, I would say that's pretty uncommon.
Re: Orb Gems 12/12/2018 07:14 AM CST

Any gem over 1000 silvers in value has a chance become an orb gem, I think the lowest value orb gem I've found/made was a violet sapphire. I have a star sapphire currently imbedded with 101.
Re: Orb Gems 12/12/2018 07:26 AM CST
I thought all stars were natural orbs at high frequency. I've never bothered with exploiting that except with rubies, sapphires and emeralds though (star emeralds do orb when sung at so being a star doesn't prevent orbing)