Sad for all Dwarves 12/04/2016 07:06 AM CST
Prepare yourself for a Dwarf-sized rant... (well, might be pushing it to elf-sized by the end of it).

Someone asked yesterday if there were any citizenship verbs for Zul Logoth, which led me here to do some research to see if they had been overlooked and not added to the proper scrolls in the library of the Great and Powerful Wizard known as Wiki.

After reading every post, watching the changes (and ball-dropping) a couple of the town Gurus did, it makes me incredibly sad for Dwarves. Dwarves, for me, are one of the most interesting races in this game, and my first character ever (and most-loved) was/is a Dwarf. I would love to see more done with Zul Logoth and Teras, though there are people (I use this term loosely, they are not even Dwarf) on Teras who think they own the island and are not keen on seeing visitors.

Zul Logoth needs citizenship verbs. An argument could be made, "Well, Dwarves have the most verbs of any race already, do they really need citizenship verbs when they are the only ones who can attain full citizenship in Zul?" Yes, they do. Playing a Dwarf is a completely different mindset than some of the other races, (you snooty pointy ears over in Ta'Vaalor know what I'm talking about), and as a Dwarf, it would be nice to be proud of a town such as Zul Logoth, if one were to call that home, especially given the citizenship restrictions.

That being said, as others have mentioned, the lack of hunting areas in Zul Logoth is one of the biggest reasons the population is so small (small? or should we say almost non-existent?). I would thoroughly enjoy watching young Dwarves make the journey to Zul Logoth to be taught the proper ways to be a Dwarf (and how to properly hate those darn pointy ears) and to learn forging from the Zul Logoth masters who already reside there. And dare I say, one day, learn how to mine and smelt (it's time, seriously...)?

Solhaven was almost completely empty, except for a few stragglers. Then a few people started hunting there more regularly, and an MHO had new life breathed into it (then was quickly strangled but that is another story for another folder). And then! They got a fancy new hunting area, and Solhaven is starting to see an increase in population.

Here are my observations:

Nearly all of the cities (except for that butterfly town) has a wide selection of hunting areas, ranging from turnip-farming fools who fell head first off the wagon on the way through the gates, to those who are well-seasoned and beginning to look for more challenging areas to hunt. The Landing has the bowels, Solhaven has the Sanctum of Scales, Icemule has the Rift/Scatter, Teras has Nelemar, and the Nations have Old Ta'Faendryl. Granted, River's Rest is hurting just as much as Zul Logoth is, but again, that's for another folder. However, both of these towns could use a new hunting area that would bring new people to visit and/or stay. Does it necessarily have to be a capped hunting area? No, but River's Rest's hunting ends around level 60, and Zul Logoth is even lower. Both could benefit from a hunting area that would take them to their 80s (like most other towns already have...), and while people are getting old, drunk, and fat from hunting until they're in their 70s and 80s, I think it would tempt many hardcore roleplayers to stick around Zul Logoth. Dwarves are so fun to play and it's sad that of all the Dwarves I know, there are only a handful who actually play a Dwarf, not just some fighting machine who blows through levels on the way to cap.

Putting Dwarves in Dwarven towns (just like those silly pointy ears over in the Nations) would get Dwarves more recognition as a fun race to play. People go to the Nations because they are primarily populatedd by elves, and playing an elf, they want to be surrounded by their own people; it helps them develop their own characters. And it doesn't hurt that they have fairly good hunting areas for nearly all levels there.

So, in closing, citizenship verbs for Zul Logoth, a reason for Dwarves to want to become citizens and to stick around Zul (yeah, I suppose we would like to see other people, not just Dwarves stick around Zul too...), and a storyline once in awhile wouldn't hurt (either involving only Zul Logoth or incorporating them in some way - if the Landing can drag River's Rest into their Chaston storyline (and most of Elanthia), they can play nice with the Dwarves of Zul Logoth too).

I want a reason to move my Dwarves to Zul Logoth and keep them there, safe from the evil pointy ears that plague nearly all of Elanthia.

-Mistress Chaddeaux Doire
Gypsy Rogue and Troublemaking Aficionado
Re: Sad for all Dwarves 12/04/2016 11:18 AM CST
This gnome seconds this post. Especially the parts about the elves being snotty and far too full of themselves.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Sad for all Dwarves 12/04/2016 02:57 PM CST

here! here!

... oop ... Clunk is in the Landin on an errand right now.

But what ye asy'd? Aye, twuld be good to see folk reg'lar around time, instead'v first thinkin they is lost.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Sad for all Dwarves 12/04/2016 06:57 PM CST
Solhaven was almost completely empty, except for a few stragglers. Then a few people started hunting there more regularly, and an MHO had new life breathed into it (then was quickly strangled but that is another story for another folder). And then! They got a fancy new hunting area, and Solhaven is starting to see an increase in population.>>

Solhaven has been more alive. SoS has that wagon ride and it's own rest area, but it does have one of two outpost points. It's kind of odd Wehnimer's Landing has a wagon, but I won't knock it. It generates traffic for the area for sure. Lydil and the GMs have kept the story moving. MHOs come and go though. You need to tell your own stories there and sometimes groups naturally end. I like the dialogue of it though, perhaps put that in Solhaven.

hat being said, as others have mentioned, the lack of hunting areas in Zul Logoth is one of the biggest reasons the population is so small (small? or should we say almost non-existent?). I would thoroughly enjoy watching young Dwarves make the journey to Zul Logoth to be taught the proper ways to be a Dwarf (and how to properly hate those darn pointy ears) and to learn forging from the Zul Logoth masters who already reside there. And dare I say, one day, learn how to mine and smelt (it's time, seriously...)?>>

Zul needs love for sure. It's a super cool area and the dwarven lore, npc and storylines have barely ever been touched. The dwarven tale for Zul seems more dwarven than Teras too since it's in the mountain.

River's rest has a similar problem and is bigger though. Zul remains more due on the list of concerns though and it's a central hub between west and east communities so it rightfully should have something more to it that can draw people.

Zul hunting seems to stop at 36th with the Undertaker Bat. An undead menace or a grutik invasion could be easy options or an elemental invasion to drum up problems for the area followed by the Zul chieftain representative or is it a mayor type? I think you are on the second to draw people there then we could see the sights and sounds.

The problem is keeping that up and making us care about Zul, which is the point. I'd take some story hooks to start and if an area is ready to go...double incredible. I think this staff can do it.
Re: Sad for all Dwarves 12/04/2016 08:57 PM CST
Zul Logoth has been a place I've been very interested in the last two years. In fact, in some of my original drafts for Eyes of the Dawn, the half-elven camps were going to be built in/near Zul Logoth, which would have put the town front and center for at least part of the overall storyline. But things change, like they do sometimes, so the story required it otherwise.

I don't say this to make anyone be like "Dangit, Zul missed out on love again!" In fact, I intend to illustrate the opposite. I'm currently working on some future storyline ideas, and I would live to have one pull Zul Logoth in, in a good and longer way, not just a one night event. I'm making no promises, but it's definitely on my list. I love Wehnimer's Landing. It's my passion. I can't imagine me doing anything that doesn't at least have a Landing hook. But I do also like River's Rest and Zul Logoth. There's so much potential when it comes to pirates, and dwarven caverns.

So if you have some ideas for storylines involving Zul Logoth, or some hooks, I'm all ears. GS4-KENSTROM@PLAY.NET

-GM Kenstrom-
Waylayer of Wehnimer's Landing
Human Guru

Strongest foe vanquished: Roblar

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Eyes_of_the_Dawn
Re: Sad for all Dwarves 12/04/2016 09:10 PM CST
<But I do also like River's Rest and Zul Logoth. There's so much potential when it comes to pirates, and dwarven caverns.>

I'm sure you'll remember that the pirates call our beloved town home and wouldn't try to loot their home base.... but just in case, I'll be over here preparing the flinger to launch you into the side of the Citadel....

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Sad for all Dwarves 12/05/2016 05:18 PM CST

>>So if you have some ideas for storylines involving Zul Logoth, or some hooks, I'm all ears. GS4-KENSTROM@PLAY.NET

gosh, lets see.

1) Li'Aerion - and the odd occasional transports to other Arkati havens. Not to mention the appearance by Eorgina. And the stories of how she was born when a drake died.

2) The Ancient Passage - the stairway for clerics to prove their worth.

3) Eonaks temple - and the escaped orc that made his way to IceMule. It seems only an orc knows the way. None others have found it.

4) The older ruins that lie "under" Zul Logoth. (is it really the old Kalaza?)

5) The Plateau to the DragonSpine.

6) The various ventilation pipes and inaccessible openings in the main caves, (mind the spores.

7) The "spot" in the troll burying grounds, and the ladder that leads to it.

8) The mysterious Grutik caverns, and the rumors of armies of golems there.

9) The tunnel that leads to the southern cities.

10) And ... the trader gnoll. Where does he go to get his goods?

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Sad for all Dwarves 12/05/2016 06:46 PM CST
>So if you have some ideas for storylines involving Zul Logoth, or some hooks, I'm all ears. GS4-KENSTROM@PLAY.NET

I want to see Dwarf Fortress play out in Zul Logoth.
Re: Sad for all Dwarves 12/05/2016 09:34 PM CST
Lore man Clunk. I know you guys talked about the area leader recently, clan chieftain or something. Can you repost that?
Re: Sad for all Dwarves 12/06/2016 02:20 AM CST
>>The Ancient Passage - the stairway for clerics to prove their worth.

+1

I would also love to see this get more attention in the future; it's a fantastic area with a lot of potential.

>>You slay me woman! ~ Wyrom

http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Rohese
Re: Sad for all Dwarves 07/11/2019 06:02 AM CDT
Such a passionate post, OP! I'm responding years later but I love it.

I recently discovered that non-dwarves can get partial citizenship in ZL, which can open up the kinds of emotes to not just be dwarf specific but ZL themed. For example, GRUMBLE target could be "citizen grumbles under his breath about a lesser orc being as slow as a mine cart."

Perhaps also an emote to check around your feet warily for roa'ters.

Hmm... any other ZL themed emotes?