What Needs Doing 09/29/2021 02:23 AM CDT
Camryth sat just inside the entrance of her tent, staring out at the blaze burning in the fire pit a few feet away. Despite all of the rain, everyone made sure to tend to the fire and keep it going, to provide some warmth against the bone chilling soaking the storm provided. As she sat and watched the flames flicker and sputter, her hands idly wrapped and unwrapped her sling from around one hand. The thunder overhead, the crackle of the burning logs, even the rain splattering on the ground, her ears heard none of it, she only heard the voices of so many folks echoing in her mind.

"She shouldn't be here!"

"...helped save the lives of people..."

"...needs more training..."

"...was able to hold her own and aid us..."

"...could have gotten yourself killed..."

"...you did well."

A single tear ran down her face, but Camryth did not even notice. Her hands still moving out of habit, while her eyes were locked on the flames they never saw.

She heard the voice of her father, "Do what's worth doing, Cam. And if you're doing it, then do it right. Owe yourself nothing less."

"How'd ya do it, Cam?" the voice of her best friend Nell asked her, "How were ya able to fight 'em when they can? Weren'tcha scared? They coulda killed ya."

And she heard herself answer, "Cus it was what needed doing, Nell. I closed my eyes, made a wish, and then got to it. Only way to be sure you two would be safe."

"Even if they got ya?"

"Even then. Some things are just worth doing."

A flash of lightning lit up the night, and the outline of the Hangman's Bridge was visible in the distance for a brief moment. Camryth never noticed, just continuing to watch the fire and think about what needed doing.

Coming down the world's turned over
People fall if you're not there
But can they go on as you grow colder?
Or can you answer someone's prayer?

Coming down the years turned older
The rain still falls with you there
Or can I go on to lead you home
And I'll become what you became to me

An OOC Programing Note: A challenge has been issued and accepted. It will take place Tonight (Wed 9/29) at 9 pm in Solhaven.