Reasonings... 03/27/2003 07:00 AM CST
Question. Why is there allowed to be a racial order (Kaldar) that is allowed to state exactly who they are and what they are about, but why aren't other groups allowed to do the same? I've heard that having an openly gay and lesbian group would mean that there would have to be an openly OOC religious group or OOC racial group. I just don't get this. Gay and lesbian people can get married in the realms, but there is no recognition that there is such a thing as character homosexuality?

The player doesn't have to be (and I am aware of a very large number) homosexual to a homosexual character.

Also, I've hear that it is bad form for have a sexually based group. But what do you think an openly gay and lesbian group would do? Have constant in-game orgies? The purpose of orders are to roleplay and to meet like-minded characters.

The kaldar are allowed to form an openly pro-kaldar group. Why not extend that to everyone else?
Re: Reasonings... 03/27/2003 07:41 AM CST
<<The kaldar are allowed to form an openly pro-kaldar group. Why not extend that to everyone else?

Were you told by a GM, or some other person "in charge" that you couldn't? You weren't really clear on that, so I wanted to ask. I have no opinion, really, over the issue. I'm just curious if you tried to form such a group and were told by Simu that you can't.

Hate is too powerful an emotion to waste on someone you don't even like.
Re: Reasonings... 03/27/2003 08:19 AM CST
There is a group that is a gay and lesbian group. However, they are not allowed to say that they openly are because it would evidently mean that the realms would have to open itself to black and asian and christian and buddhist orders too. It doesn't make sense!
Re: Reasonings... 03/27/2003 11:19 AM CST
>>However, they are not allowed to say that they openly are because it would evidently mean that the realms would have to open itself to black and asian and christian and buddhist orders too.<<

Why's that?

Da Not So Madd Webba
Re: Reasonings... 03/27/2003 12:06 PM CST
>>Why's that? <<

I wanna know that too!
Re: Reasonings... 03/27/2003 12:49 PM CST
just let it go please.....we really dont need to open this can of worms.

Got favor?
Re: Reasonings... 03/27/2003 01:13 PM CST
Let's remember... the time and place the game is based in is not a democracy, it's not modern, and it's barely civilized. Although these options would be good in the time we live in now, the era we role play in would not.

Also, it's not really racist to have a Rakash Order or any other race based Order. Now if there was a Black Rakash Order or a Blue Rakash Order that hated and discriminated all other Rakash, then yeah I would agree. But again, there are no such thing as PETA and discriminatory laws and religious rights and a million other things that we have today.

Like Segall said... please drop it. This is a can of worms thats better left unopened.

Ciek
Re: Reasonings... 03/27/2003 05:02 PM CST
<<Like Segall said... please drop it. This is a can of worms thats better left unopened.>>

If it was something you cared about, you would not drop it.
Re: Reasonings... 03/27/2003 05:22 PM CST
>If it was something you cared about, you would not drop it.

If it was something that you'd heard about a thousand times before, you'd know why people wanted to drop it the 1,001st time they heard about it.

~I.B.

Best. Order. Ever.
http://bakshiloa.elanthianunderground.com
Re: Reasonings... 04/03/2003 11:55 AM CST
If your gonna try to use history as a reason to not have same sex pairings or an order for such, then read up a bit on it first. Homosexuality was not unknown or even frowned upon as far back as the Roman empire. It wasnt until christianity gained a firm grip on the world that it became taboo and in some places that isnt even a fact now. Now, as this is a game for all ages, if a group of people wanted to create an order of a sexual nature, youd have to be alot more stringent then most orders on membership. But to say just flat out no is almost akin to discrimination. And before anyone says that if that order is allowed, then christian, buddist, and so forth will need to be allowed, answer this, are there christians, buddists in DR? Not the players, the characters. Answer, no. But there are those that are same sex oriented. For those about to whine about some mysterious can being opened or closed, if the problem had been settled before, it wouldnt have been opened again.
Re: Reasonings... 04/03/2003 12:05 PM CST
I think you made an excellent point. Or rather, you put what I was attempting to say more ellogently. If only a GM was listening to help sort out the reasons why the IO isn't allowed to say they are for same sex oriented characters...

Myth's Player
Re: Reasonings... 04/03/2003 12:25 PM CST
Controversy is bad for business. They won't let me create the Holy Order of Ganja, either.
Re: Reasonings... 04/08/2003 10:12 PM CDT
>>There is a group that is a gay and lesbian group. However, they are not allowed to say that they openly are because it would evidently mean that the realms would have to open itself to black and asian and christian and buddhist orders too. It doesn't make sense!

Going out on a bit of a limb here, since I'm niether a GM nor actually in the IO. I'm pretty sure the IO doesn't say "Hey we're gay! All gay people come here!" is because they realize that homosexuality is a sensitive issue for many people. I'm also under the impression that they don't want to alienate straight people who might be supportive of their organization, nor do they want to give the impression that they are entirely about sexuality.

Player of...

~Celebrant Starsha Chracco
Follower of Glythtide and Meraud
Speaker of the Fyearikloa'i Rensh'a

http://bakshiloa.elanthianunderground.com